Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default The letdown of iPhone 5

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/m...005-1l7nb.html

Was anyone here holding off expecting something great?

I was holding off just to keep my options open but after seeing this and having a HD7 for the last 6 months, I can't go back down to a 3.5" screen. So when the 2nd generation of Windows Phones launch, I'll be there!

I think Apple believe they can control the advancement of the iPhone a little too much and aren't following the market, which now demands a bigger screen at least and fresh new designs - otherwise things appear stale.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The letdown of iPhone 5

I lol'd. few people i know were waiting for October release of an iphone 5. Not a rehased 4 with hardware specs to match the SGS2.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm holding out for the new HTC Holiday..first 4G phone to be released in aus..impressive specs too!
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Andy777

i was holding out for the 5, i have been happy with my iphone 3gs, so i may as well get the iphone 4s
Andy777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

what is with the obsession on upgrading? Whats wrong with a v4?
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
what is with the obsession on upgrading? Whats wrong with a v4?
The iPhone 4S has a much better 8mp camera, the iPad2 processor, better battery and a few other cool new features. Basically just a faster and more intelligent version of the current, doesn't look any different externally.
The Siri program is pretty mind blowing... Look out Skynet
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not enough for me to upgrade from my iPhone 4
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
JR.
Once more with feeling

So for the non tech minded, is the iPhone 4S a better pick than the Samsung Galaxy S2
Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
JJ500
Starter Motor

Still got the 3GS and was holding out for the 5 .... can't wait any longer, 4GS it is!
JJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
So for the non tech minded, is the iPhone 4S a better pick than the Samsung Galaxy S2
No. It's not.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Mitch_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR.
All depends what you're after - I personally don't like the Android OS and I'm always using the iPod function of the phone with iPod integration so thats why I'd choose the iPhone.

They are both pretty similar in specs - the samsung has a larger screen if that is what you're after tough - I'd personally go look/use both then decide
Mitch_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
JJ500
Starter Motor

I had a play with the samsung the other day, whilst i know some people want a larger screen, i found it simply too big!

It is a phone that goes in your pocket, anything much bigger than the size of the iphone would just annoy me ....
JJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
GEE-347
CRUzn

Upgrade features...

- iPhone 4S. Outside the same, inside all different. A5 chip inside, dual-core graphics up to 7x faster than iPhone 4.
- Mike Capps from Epic Games on stage for demo. Showing off Infinity Blade 2.
- Phil back on stage. iPhone 4S battery has 8 hours of 3G talk time, 6 hours 3G browsing.
- Wireless system updated. Stainless steel band with two antennas, switch intelligently between them.
- Data speed twice as fast...14.4 Mbps HSDPA. It's what competitors call 4G.
- World phone...both CDMA and GSM in one phone.
- New camera system. We wanted to make the 4S better than point and shoot.
- Eight megapixels...3264x2448. Backside illuminated sensor...73% more light per pixel than iPhone 4. 33% faster capture. Hybrid IR filter, better color accuracy and uniformity. Five element lens, 30% more sharpness, f/2.4 aperture. Face detection, better white balance, and fast photos.
- Time to first photo: 1.1 seconds. Half a second for next shot.
- Schiller demoing photos taken with iPhone 4S. 1080p HD video recording, video image stabilization, noise reduction. Wrapping up camera discussion.
- AirPlay mirroring. Gaming on the TV screen...wired or wireless.
- Phil recapping iPhone 4S specs..."entirely new" on the inside.
- Most amazing iPhone yet, but Phil left out one thing...all about our voice.
- We've long wished devices could really understand us.
- Demo time for Siri, the personal assistant.

- Scott Forstall on stage for Siri demo. "What is the weather like today?" iPhone answers "Here is the forecast for today..."

- "Wake me up tomorrow at 6am." iPhone sets alarm and confirms.
- "How's the NASDAQ doing today". iPhone brings up stock chart.
- "Find me a Greek restaurant in Palo Alto." iPhone brings up options.
- "Give me directions to Hoover Tower" iPhone brings up map and directions.
- Siri can read text messages aloud, check appointment calendar, and take down dictated response.
- "Remind me to call my wife when I leave work." iPhone sets up a geofence to alert Scott when he leaves the campus.
- "Search Wikipedia for Neil Armstrong." Info page pops up.
- "Define 'mitosis'." iPhone checks WolframAlpha. Same for currency conversions.
- Siri includes lists of example requests to help users learn.

- Phil Schiller back on stage. Showing off dictation capabilities in Mail. Works out of the box, but improves as it learns your voice.
- Works in English (US, UK, Australia), French, and German. Beta to start, with more languages and services coming.
- Recapping the iPhone 4S, and now showing a video.

- iPhone 4S pricing: $199 16 GB, $299 32 GB, $399, 64 GB, with contract. Black and white versions available.
- 8 GB iPhone 4 at $99, 8 GB iPhone 3GS free.

More info and video on www.apple.com.au

Special Thanks to
Brett & Zoran @ BnZ Automotive & Dyno
(347ci Windsor) 440bhp pump fuel

363ci Windsor in the Build
GEE-347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Meh. That's the problem with relying on one company for handsets, they're comparatively slow to market and are superseded by the competition almost immediately.

Even the OS is playing catchup with Android (and losing...) The voice demo has been an Android staple for over a year - Apple will claim it as their own innovation, again..
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Still a great phone. Best design out there IMO.

Goes to show how big the iphone5 unveiling will be. good Marketing by Apple, make people think its the iphone5, kill their hopes and desires and excite them for the real release. iphone5 release is going to be HUUGE !!

People who think Apple are catching up that's nonsense. Have a look around, everyone has an iphone in their hand and if they don't they will in the near future.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #16
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
People who think Apple are catching up that's nonsense. Have a look around, everyone has an iphone in their hand and if they don't they will in the near future.
Apple = Farmer
Users = Sheep

And yes Apple are playing catch up, Samsung releases a dual processor phone, the phone everyone wants with more features than a swiss army knife, what does Apple do, a mid life product upgrade just to keep relevant.

The bolded part is utter fanboy crap. Someone somewhere will always have something better in the pipeworks.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Apple = Farmer
Users = Sheep

And yes Apple are playing catch up, Samsung releases a dual processor phone, the phone everyone wants with more features than a swiss army knife, what does Apple do, a mid life product upgrade just to keep relevant.

The bolded part is utter fanboy crap. Someone somewhere will always have something better in the pipeworks.
Exactly..interesting that iOS 5 now comes with notifications identical to the andorid OS..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:

Samsung actually make a lot of the iPhones internal components, Hence the reason that Apple and Samsung have been in legal disputes recently.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out in the end...

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/22505...-postponed.htm
Quote:
The issue could probably point to Samsung, which provides the chips, the RAM and other parts for Apple's mobile devices, pursuant to a long-term contract. But this year Apple has sued Samsung in dozens of countries in three continents on accusations that the Samsung devices are imitating the iPhone and iPad. And Apple, according to some reports, is looking to replace Samsung in its supply-chain. Samsung responded to the suits, accusing Apple of infringing its wireless patents, and seeking an injunction of the iPhone units in the market and the iPhone 5.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
RAPID_BA
Banned

I have a few new model phones..

Samsung Galaxy s
Samsung Galaxy s2
HTC Wildfire S

Ive also owned a iphone..

1. samsung galaxy s looks better built than the galaxy s2. Has a better quality case and chrome insert. I actually like the 4 inch screen better than the 4.3 inch of the s2. Its probably the best size for portability vs function. Its just the right size for a phone.

2. Samsung galaxy s2. beautiful screen, trailblazing internet speed. Id have one fo these over an ipad. Screen is beautiful and large enough. but i dont like the overall size, its just a little too large. very thin though. Day to day the samsung galaxy s1 is more than enough. I bought it a few days before official release in hong kong and was actually at the official release in hong kong sharaton hotel. (with it in my pocket). camera is awesome

3. HTC Wildfire s. I bought it from hong kong again before its release here. its a very high quality little phone but screen is just a bit too small 3.2 inch. Its not slow at all on the internet but lacks memory (need to add mini sd) and doesnt seem to play youtube videos. I like it because its so small and portable.. camera is 5mp but the galaxy s 5mp camera is better. HTC has a much easier to use hotspot wifi function. tap and allow your pc or other phones to connect. gotta muck about on the samsung.

I alternate between the three phones having two numbers.

Fashion wise the galaxy s2 gets the looks as does the little htc. The galaxy s1 every man and his dog has one but its probably the best overall, considering size and function.

There are so many other phones on sale in hong kong. The samsung galaxy ace was out and was iphone size at 3.5 inch, i almost bought one but its ram was too low and i bought the htc wildfire s instead.

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 05-10-2011 at 02:34 PM.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #20
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Apple = Farmer
Users = Sheep

Everyone I speak to don't even know the name of any Samsung phones let alone wanting one. lol. Only ones I see using them are the people who spoonk over a slightly faster processor or 0.1 of a 10th faster ram. Things most people don't even care about.

Apple have been an innovative leader for years. If Samsung where the leader, as you so put it,I you would see a Galaxy in everyone hands, but I don't.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #21
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
Exactly..interesting that iOS 5 now comes with notifications identical to the andorid OS..

You are comparing a OS (Android) to a packaged product iPhone.

You guys take this far too seriously........
Old 05-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ahh the old image/marketing conundrum. I see heaps of commodores, VFACTS backs it up but.....
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #23
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
You are comparing a OS (Android) to a packaged product iPhone.
And you misread the quote post. iOS5 was mentioned, not the phone.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #24
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Everyone I speak to don't even know the name of any Samsung phones let alone wanting one. lol. Only ones I see using them are the people who spoonk over a slightly faster processor or 0.1 of a 10th faster ram. Things most people don't even care about.

Apple have been an innovative leader for years. If Samsung where the leader, as you so put it,I you would see a Galaxy in everyone hands, but I don't.
Apples are not the best phones far from it. Id go the samsung galaxy every day of the week over it, faster, better bigger screen, cheaper.

The apple iphone is a cool phone but its a bit teeny bopper for me, all the teens have them. The galaxy is more the grown up version.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #25
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
The only thing people care about is being with the 'in-crowd', which the phone to get is the iPhone. People who want a better functioning phone will buy one with either Android OS or Windows Phone 7.

I solely believe that the only reason the iPhone took off is because of all the crap you can accessorise it with. There's only two things you should have to plug into your phone, a charger and a USB cable.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #26
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Apples are not the best phones far from it. Id go the samsung galaxy every day of the week over it, faster, better bigger screen, cheaper.

The apple iphone is a cool phone but its a bit teeny bopper for me, all the teens have them. The galaxy is more the grown up version.

I totally agree, it's not a perfect phone and on occasions I have smashed mine on the ground in frustration. I actually wanted a HTC Desire HD at first, after playing with it I got bored with the interface and phone within 10 mins also noticed the battery fall 15% within that short span of time, after researching and seeing the unhappy android fans I decided to stick with the Iphone4. Couldn't be happier.

Everyone has their preference. And everyone will say their phone is the best.
Most people don't care for the internal speeds and processors, such as myself. In the end sales and design is what counts.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #27
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
And you misread the quote post. iOS5 was mentioned, not the phone.
In this thread people have talked about.

iPhone 5
IOS 5
Samsung
Android.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #28
outside
off in outer space

did apple say it was going it be a 5 or was it just what ppl hoped for?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #29
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

I like how windows is now the best yet a few years ago everyone had nothing but complaints about anything to do with windows.

I hate using windows on a computer why would i want all the pointless complication when it's not needed. My 3GS has been awesome for the 2 1/4 years I have had had it. My previous nokias and samsungs were complicated and unreliable.

I only chose the iphone because it had the iPod built in, sends msg and make calls, I'm not carrying two devices when one will suffice. Everything else It can do is a welcome bonus
Old 05-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #30
BHDOGS
Banned

Lol this reminds me of holden vs ford more people buy holdens yes yes yes but the smart people buy fords yes but holden sell more i know but fords are better everybody wants to be in the in crowd with the holdens yes but those that dont care buy a ford
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post