Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
remps88
Twin Banger

Default holiday in thailand :D suggestions of stuff to do!

hey all. me and about 8 of my fellow 19/20 year old mates are leaving for thailand on sunday.

we have planned this trip for a while now, always adding to it and gradually getting more and more exited. we leave on the 30th from melbourne, flying into kuala lumpar in malaysia. we are planning on staying down that way for around 5-6 days, because our original plans were to treck our way up towards phuket slowly, but turns out there is terrorism problems and such down south on the border, so we are going to fly/train out of their about 6 days in and land in phuket i think.

now, what we have been told so far by everyone who can even spell thailand is to GO TO THE FULL MOON PARTY!! and we plan to.

apart from that, is has been a mix of, enjoy the exchange rate, get yourself a custom tailored suit for around $30 bucks, and TRY and figure our which ones are the "ladyboys!"

we fly out of bangkok on something like the 7th of december. its gonna be 6 weeks of madness and awesome times of relaxaton and partying hopefully.

just thought id throw it out there to see if there is anything specific people suggest we do, try, dont do, avoid, and if they want, spill with their experiances so we can gain knowledge from your good/and bad, experiances.

so, when i say the words thailand holiday, what do people think of first?? let me have it!

2006 EGO bf xr6. 6spd manual. 19 inch Dark Agent wheels. pedders lowered shocks and springs. full extractors and 3 inch exhaust. dvd player. 2x12inch alpine subs. leather seats. xr6 turbo intake. reverse sensors.

2007 CBR600rr. black and grey, acropovic exhaust, shorty levers, and the ability to take on a lambo in a 0-100 race.
remps88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: holiday in thailand :D suggestions of stuff to do!

Travel insurance is what I think of first ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

I think of Thai food... love it. My family get's takeaway on Fridays, Pizza once a month (from a decent pizza shop), and a Indian and Thai on the three fridays. Yum yum yum. Enjoy your trip!! Make the most of it! (have spave in your suitcase for a 15 year old? I'm sure I could fit?)
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think of, I wish I was back there .

Have a great time. You'll love it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

There are a couple of previous threads on Phuket here, which may help you.

By far the best thing we did while based in Bangkok was visit the Tiger Temple. It's an early start and a 3 hour trip out to the temple, but you can include a stop at the River Kwai and war memorial in some of the tours. We booked that through our travel agent before we left Australia.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...light=thailand

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ghlight=phuket

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...es-Phuket.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...s-Bangkok.html
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
QIK006

Quote:
Originally Posted by remps88
TRY and figure our which ones are the "ladyboys!"
You can guess all you want, but there is only one way to truly know

Good luck on the hunt, my only tip is keep the light on!
The only issue with our new FG XR6T is that no one has told me how to prevent the stains on my shorts that happen ever time i mash the accelerator pedal : and now the lil dint in the rear bumber http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...30#post4142130

My speed limiter is set to 120 - anything over that and she punches me in the arm.
QIK006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
whitesoarer

Hey mate. Some good advice I can give you is if you end up on Patpong Road, don't go to ping pong shows that aren't on the ground floor. A group of us got rolled for about $300 AUD when we went to a 2nd floor one, apparently this is pretty common. It was a very uncomfortable experience and I would not wish it on anyone.

Stick to ground floor clubs and you should be OK.
whitesoarer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate just got back on Monday and loved it. 2 weeks cost $3k for everything. You won't have any trouble getting girls that's for sure lol
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going by your ages I`d say get out phuket asap , bangkok will be buggered for a while (floods) , pattaya for nightlife and girls ( can hook you up with some expats there that run bars etc, steer you the right way ) , koh samui then powerboat to the full moon party ,
Chang mai is nice , fly up train back , couple of days jungle trekking etc
Kanchanaburi is also well worth a visit , bridge river kwai, war cemetery etc
( jolly frog is a good place to stay there, basicand cheap but lots of fun to be had,
Cant really go wrong with thai food its great, experiment a bit , only time we got crook was "kfc" go figure ? lol
Usual stuff like travel insurance, have a copy of all your passports , Id etc and carry them separately
NEVER leave your drinks unattended or drink tap water
Thai people are very nice and if you treat them with respect they will go out of there way to help you
Enough for now lol
Old 25-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
HenryFordJr

Have you seen The Hangover 2? Don't do any of that lol..

I am going there myself next April, looking forward to it..

First Car: 1972 ZF Fairlane - 351 Cleveland, FMX Auto, 9"LSD 2:92
HenryFordJr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah stay away from Bangkok my mate is heading there tonight to see his fiance and she said the whole place is flooded - the crocodile farm flooded and 1500 crocs are now swimming around the streets. LOL.

I have been to koh samui. It's a great chilled out place, and good to visit if you want to leave from there to a full moon party - you leave from the warf.

HEad out to the marine reserve on a day trip. http://samui.sawadee.com/angthong/ it's beautiful. I went diving there through the caves. Amazing place.

It really depends on which island you're heading to. Koh Phangan is where the full moon parties are. It's OK. Good place to party. Just be careful there http://fullmoonparty-thailand.com/

Make sure you're on the beach somewhere to watch the sunset as the monsoon comes over. It sounds a bit of a fairy thing to say, but with a beer in your hand it's wesome to watch the weather come over and sit in the rain finishing off a beer.

trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im Thai, and I haven't been back since being adopted. Got to put that on my bucket list.

As for 'Ladyboys', not even the hand grope will be enough to tell what your getting since Thailand is the most popular place for sex change operations in the world. Discover at your own risk I say.

From what my mates tell me, if you stick in the well touristy areas you should be ok. Just have your wits about ya, look out and keep an eye for each other there and you should be fine. Stick to bottle water!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've only done Phuket, not the mainland.

Phuket Fantasea was a really cool stage show/circus/theatrical story. Its in Kamala, about 10 mins north of Patong, the main tourist city of Phuket.

DONT SHOP IN PATONG. GO TO PHUKET TOWN!!! Patong was all 40% off - say 300baht for a t-shirt. Went to Phuket Town and the same exact shirts were 150baht so I didn't even bother haggling.. Shame I went there on the last day of the holiday though lol.. Price hikes are the same in the big shopping centres too..

And if you want to get a great seafood lunch in an awesome location for VERY cheap there is a great restuarant stocking all sorts of fresh live seafood out just next to the mudflats about 10min drive from Phuket Town on the east coast. No idea what it was called or exactly where though sorry! We just asked a random taxi driver and for 40baht(!!!!) he took us out there, waited and brought us back to town!

Phuket Town is much better imo, its less touristy, less annoying tailors, less being harassed, less massage parlors and less dirty smells.

Only got sick twice - was there for 14 days. First time was after drinking my weights worth of Bintang. Teach me for taking advantage of the self serve keg sitting on the bar lol and then once I'd gotten home I was like a food sieve. It was the damn Burger King I had at the Phuket airport!! That being said we mostly ate at the hotel which was 5-star lol but I did eat street vendor food - BBQ charcoal chicken skewers for 5b a pop and they tasted so good!

I did a Phi Phi Island speed boat trip. Cost $60aus for an entire 8 hour day including transfers from the hotel. We visited 'The Beach' from the movie, James bond island, Monkey Island, a couple of other islands, about 2 hours of snorkling, the viking cave, had a full buffet lunch provided, soft drinks and fruits and stuff on the boat etc etc. The guide was a dude called "MIIIIIIIIIIIIS THAILLAAAAAAAND" but shim was very funny.

There is a massive jewelery store there - almost the size of bunnings with sharks in aquariums and stuff. If you wanna get some cheap but good shiny things for some women back home i reccommend that too.

In fact pay a taxi driver like 600baht for the day, he'll drive you around everywhere you want to go, be your own personal tour guide. Most hotels have a couple of guys that can help

Last edited by Fev; 26-10-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickxr8
Only time we got crook was "kfc"
That's what got us too!!

The Pizza Company is pretty good though!!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
remps88
Twin Banger

wow everyone thanks so much!! only been like 20 hours since i put this thread up and between beers i just decided to check it for a response! highly appreciated all the info you guys have shared!

2006 EGO bf xr6. 6spd manual. 19 inch Dark Agent wheels. pedders lowered shocks and springs. full extractors and 3 inch exhaust. dvd player. 2x12inch alpine subs. leather seats. xr6 turbo intake. reverse sensors.

2007 CBR600rr. black and grey, acropovic exhaust, shorty levers, and the ability to take on a lambo in a 0-100 race.
Old 26-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
remps88
Twin Banger

oh yeah, and we all have organised travel insurance and paid for it and got about 3 injections apiece so in that way we are covered.

has anyone heard or had an experiance when it comes to hiring a scooter/motorbike/jetski and then been attempted to be ripped off by the guys?

also, if they wanted like, collateral or something... i figured you wouldnt give them your passport, but what could you use?

ping pong shows apparently are awsome, cant really think of the "awesome factor".... same as strippers to me, paying to watch? id rather buy a real chick (hopefully a chick anyway :P) a drink and have my own show!

will be staying away from bangkok till much later in the trip so hope the crocs have ****ed off by then. haha. and dont you worry there will be numerous amounts of nights and mornings where the beach and the sunrise/set will be involved. thats why we made it such a big trip. so we dont rush to do anything really. just can go at our own pace.

the guys im going with have spent around 17 months in europe and such travelling already, but for me, this is my first overseas trip. so exited!!!

Old 26-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
Buttnekid
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

every time I have been I go down the front beach road at Patong opposite the Maccas/Bombay Indian restaurant and pay 150 baht per day or 700 baht for the week, and AUD$50 note as deposit - they record the serial number and give you the same note back when you return the scooter. Never had a problem, just check over it before you take it and make sure you note any major damage. Always wear a helmet otherwise it will cost you $500 baht fine.

Massages are awesome, like $7 for a 60 minute, just pick a clean place and you will be sweet.

I am jealous, you will have a ball!
Buttnekid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #18
JoelBluexh
[XH2XR6]

Hi remps88, i literally just got back home today from a 10day holiday in Phuket. and it was also my first trip overseas. it was soo much fun, cheap everything, cheap drinks,cheap clothes. in regards to jetski hire we just avoided them all together you'll notice it if there a bit dodgy. get a second cheap/crap wallet and use that to put your cash/travel ex cards in. it means if its gets stolen/lost you only have to call up your travelex card provider and cancel that card. also keep any secondary cards and your passport in the safe at the hotel with anything you dont want to go missing.

we went a did the phi phi island tour on a speedboat and it was amazing well worth it.
Bangala road is a road you will NEVER forget i hope you like alcohol because the is probably over a hundred bars and clubs or more down bangala. also if you get a chance go to "White Lounge" you buy a ticket for like 300baht then 500baht on entry so $25AUD and for 2hours OPEN bar all drinks all you can drink plus they do buckets well worth it, i guarantee you will not remember the rest of the night.

with clothes try and buy multiple items because you can get them cheaper, i was getting tshirts shorts for around 150baht or less each. general rule is whatever they say go a bit less then half of what there asking and go from there. and if still you dont like it just walk away.

ATMs try and avoid using multiple atms if theres one at your hotel only use that one. i got caught out at a atm down the road it buggerd up the information on it so i had to cancel that card just to be sure it wasnt skimmed.

tuk-tuks. are simply a pimped out daihatsu hijet with neons and subs and wheels and dirty big cannons lol. we never payed more then 150baht for a tuk tuk. same with clothes you gotta bahtar they normally say 200baht first up and if they wont take you for 150baht go to the next one .

PING PONG shows! go down bangala between 6pm-10pm and youll try hard NOT to find one, nearly every second person askes you if u want ping pong. they say "free show" but when you get inside the first drink you buy is between 800-1700baht, and if they pull you up on stage, join in youll get a good laugh!

if you want to know anything else just shoot me a pm. ill be happy to tell you.

Joel
Old 26-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
AU101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev

It was the damn Burger King I had at the Phuket airport!!
I reckon that made me sick too! I had it before we flew home and that night I was in a world of pain! Was either that or the plane food/water
AU101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #20
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah lost about 5 kgs in 3 days! It didn't kick in til I was back in Sydney thank the heavens! I would NOT have wanted that problem while I was on the plane.

Last edited by flappist; 27-10-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: too graphic, no more ping pong please
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post