Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Post Falcon

G'day all...This morning on my RDO I decided to do some research on the net for after Falcon replacements and other models...This is what I found from two different sources...There will be no immediate mid/large car replacement for up to 1-2 years..The alternatives will be the European Mondeo/American Fusion essentially the same car with different spec levels..OR according to one of the two pages I read , an Australian designed Ford Taurus that was primarily designed for the Chinese market..It seems no dates/times have yet been locked in.. In the small car range Focus , Fiesta and possibly even Ford Ka with a three cylinder 1.0 litre ecoboost is being considered... There is to be Mustang of course, Ranger , Kuga , Everest , Edge , delivery style commercial vehicles too...All in all there will be 11 different Ford vehicles for sale..How exactly accurate these reports are , I'm not sure but it's something to consider..I also decided to have a look at a couple of reviews of the Fusion..The reviewers were way more interested in the 'bling' of the cars..onboard functions etc..Scant reference to the car performance other than fuel consumption ..Both cars were the Eco boost versions and mentioned the new one with the V6 as well..Has anyone else that prefers a conventional car looked at any of the potential alternatives yet ? Here's a review (sort of ) of a Fusion Titanium...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vScReLquRw...just incase this is our Falcon replacement later on..Mondeo is similar and here is the American Taurus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OqQ7St4eJs .IF we get the Taurus it'll be the one set for the China market designed by an Australian crew but here's the sportier Taurus too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr51pqt8oy4 ..Love to know what we all think ? Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 20-04-2016 at 10:42 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Post Falcon

Is there a RHD Taurus? I think they'd be content to stick with the Mondeo as the family sedan given SUVs are becoming all the rage now. That said, I like the idea of the AWD turbo 6. If they don't already come in RHD then I'm guessing we're more likely to see a Mondeo ST for those after something sportier.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...Sorry..should explain better..The reviews I posted links to are the better more comprehensive ones of 2015/16 cars..initially all they seemed to want to talk about was the 'features' not the road /driving..These are better I think..The last video on the Taurus S.H.O. is pretty good...and the car is AWD too..I could handle AWD instead of FWD only I think..one day maybe.. if they end up choosing Taurus..That door opening racket though..Doo Doo Doo.,,.Doo Doo Doo. .Doo Doo Doo....I hope that has a disable feature...Yuck....Cheers Rod...
Old 20-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a couple Taurus's around the place a while ago all decked out in black and covered up being here tested. So a rhd Taurus probably would end up happening here.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Is there a RHD Taurus? I think they'd be content to stick with the Mondeo as the family sedan given SUVs are becoming all the rage now. That said, I like the idea of the AWD turbo 6. If they don't already come in RHD then I'm guessing we're more likely to see a Mondeo ST for those after something sportier.
G'day Sabantien...Good thought...Essentially the Mondeo is the European Fusion I think..and is most likely re RHD to save building RHD from a 'Murrican' platform...then again they build Mustang now RHD..Who knows ? The Taurus SHO is twin turbo V6 with about the similar power as our beloved XR6 Turbo..and was 3.5 litres..I think the 2017 SHO is the 3.7 litres engine but I'd have to check.. Re Mondeo ..Is the Mondeo AWD or just FWD..again not sure without checking..and is the V6 a possibility ..no V6 choice for the Mustang as the AFF crew have mentioned.. Looks like low volume markets like us may mean limited specs options..which makes sense I expect..so the ideal choice may or may not be possible..
Looks like my XR6 will be in my shed for a long time yet by any measure..It'd be a few years or retirement before I got a Mondeo/Fusion/Taurus...Cheers Rod..
Old 20-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6-FTW View Post
Saw a couple Taurus's around the place a while ago all decked out in black and covered up being here tested. So a rhd Taurus probably would end up happening here.
G'day XR6FTW...Sounds promising. whereabouts was that ?..I read that if they choose Taurus it'll be the Aussie designed one for primarily China..I hope as Sabantien says there is an AWD V6 Turbo as an option...along the lines of the US version S.H.O..Taurus..
That'd be easier to bear for some of us if RWD was still happening sort of.. Never been in one but been told the Territory AWD was pretty good. One thing is pretty certain as I've now got the picture pretty clear..Whatever is Falcon replacement is going to be low volume unless something extroadinary happens ..so many imported choices now..These will add to that .Cheers Rod.

Last edited by roddy1960; 20-04-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 20-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Taurus is LHD only, and Ford Australia have already ruled out a replacement for Falcon, Mondeo will be the big car.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

IF there is a twin Turbo Taurus, then that would be the only Ford I'm interested in.

I've been researching BMWs, Mercs for RWD sedans with get up and go, but even then they are a little cramped for space in the 5 series sizes.

There just isn't anything out there or coming that I'm aware of like a Falcon or Commodore.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
R12RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Taurus is LHD only, and Ford Australia have already ruled out a replacement for Falcon, Mondeo will be the big car.
Ford will have to shorten the delivery lead times on the Mondeo if they hope this car will replace the Falcon.

Or maybe once the Falcon is gone Ford will actually carry some decent stock levels of the Mondeo...
R12RT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of curiosity what does the top of the line Chinese Taurus sell for in China when converted to $AU?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #11
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw the Taurus that time in Melbourne and the suburb I'm in of reservoir hanging the main street. I was watching the bloke try parallel park the car haha, he was struggling in it being LHD.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #12
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Out of curiosity what does the top of the line Chinese Taurus sell for in China when converted to $AU?
348000 yuan for top of the range model - around 70k AUD.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #13
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
¥348,800 which is $70k
No RHD version of the platform however.

Mondeo & Fusion are the same car. Different name plate & specs for different markets, but same fundamental car.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
IF there is a twin Turbo Taurus, then that would be the only Ford I'm interested in.

I've been researching BMWs, Mercs for RWD sedans with get up and go, but even then they are a little cramped for space in the 5 series sizes.

There just isn't anything out there or coming that I'm aware of like a Falcon or Commodore.
Interesting question, of what to get as a daily when Falcon is no more.

Not real keen on anything German (Audi, VW, BMW, Merc). The snobs, suits and ties, and types who drive these things are not really what I want to be associated with.

I have been looking at Jag/Rover. Jag XF-R and Range Rover Sport seem to be what the Falcon/Territory would have been if Ford Aus designers had their hands on a bigger budget. I wonder if any ex Ford Aus designers went to the UK??

Any car would be better than a Mondeo, even a Toyota Corolla. Driven one and it does absolutely nothing for me. It is as clinical, cold and soulless as can be.

Nothing out of the Korean stable impresses me, no matter how much styling they apply, even if they were RWD V8 (e.g. genesis or Kia K9). To me they are like a homely ugly duckling lady who went out and spent a mint on cosmetic surgery to look like a supermodel.

Last edited by malazn mafia; 20-04-2016 at 02:55 PM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #15
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

c63 for me after the sprint.
Old 20-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #16
FGX008

Interesting research. There is nothing in Ford car/vehicle model range after the Falcon that will float my boat. So what's next - I simply don't know and lucky that can is long way in the future for me. When and if I do i will be acquiring a RWD replacement.

Cheers, Brent
This user likes this post:
Old 20-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going away from Fords for a moment, Hyundai are producing pretty good cars these days, and the next performance coupe on the horizon should be a goer with over 350 kw.
A prototype of the new model was spotted with a label that read, “3.3T 8AT AWD.” That translates to a 3.3-liter twin turbocharged engine producing 480 horsepower, paired to an eight-speed automatic with an all-wheel drive setup.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #18
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota has got some RWD sedans in their Lexus range. Some (ironically)with 351kW V8 engines. Nowhere near as affordable as Falcon or Commodore though.
Old 20-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #19
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all....Chinese Taurus...I spared you the vid with the automated voice..at least here there's an Aussie talking and a Yank.There's a magic trick at the start with the girl and the flag..Actually there was two because they made the Falcon disappear too!!!!!.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUWKGEvCy0 Cheers Rod
Old 20-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #20
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Toyota has got some RWD sedans in their Lexus range. Some (ironically)with 351kW V8 engines. Nowhere near as affordable as Falcon or Commodore though.
I've got a poor mans Lexus RWD and it feels soulless and as boring as a Corolla or Camry. Not got a V8 but it runs and drives like a fridge. So for me, Lexus is OUT!!

I'd put up with the reputation that the Germans badges bring for that quality car.

Jag is cool, I've not sat in one since the late 90s things and they are way too small for my 2m body. But new ones look bigger so maybe.

Other thing I'm thinking is do up an 80s Falcon with some modern bits as a daily instead. I dunno... And no Korean cars need more time before I'd be happy buying them.

Come on Ford at least bring in the 4wd twin turbo Taurus or something 4 door RWD.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 20-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #21
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Going away from Fords for a moment, Hyundai are producing pretty good cars these days, and the next performance coupe on the horizon should be a goer with over 350 kw.
A prototype of the new model was spotted with a label that read, “3.3T 8AT AWD.” That translates to a 3.3-liter twin turbocharged engine producing 480 horsepower, paired to an eight-speed automatic with an all-wheel drive setup.
NUP...Can't ever consider a Hyundai...they sponsor Carlton..No way can I have that..It's bad enough my Tigers have Jeep on their guernsey...The Jeep joke is ..Salesman says as you drive from the dealership "Do you want a tool kit with that ". Here you go fella's Mondeo Titanium AWD There she is !!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOgPe9aUbM Then ,get your suits on boys and try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORrluPgi828 ..You can stick your bowler hat on the back seat . Then there's this one..0-400 metres timed with an hour glass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Bz...o#t=608.704717 Already hankering for the old days of the 4.0 litre six. There'd better be a V6 in there somewhere if Ford does bring this to OZ ... What do you think of that ? .....Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 20-04-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 20-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #22
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've got a poor mans Lexus RWD and it feels soulless and as boring as a Corolla or Camry. Not got a V8 but it runs and drives like a fridge. So for me, Lexus is OUT!!

I'd put up with the reputation that the Germans badges bring for that quality car.

Jag is cool, I've not sat in one since the late 90s things and they are way too small for my 2m body. But new ones look bigger so maybe.

Other thing I'm thinking is do up an 80s Falcon with some modern bits as a daily instead. I dunno... And no Korean cars need more time before I'd be happy buying them.

Come on Ford at least bring in the 4wd twin turbo Taurus or something 4 door RWD.
To be fair Toyota Reiz hasn't got much to do with Lexus we get here. It sounds like a mish mash car produced for chinese marked alone.
Old 20-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #23
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

Most Japanese 'performance' cars seem to feature that Toyota/Honda trademark of having the horsepower of a desk fan: spin the thing up hard and it will do so with smoothness and composure and will eventually generate enough force/inertia to shatter your fingers into pieces if you touch the blades. Grab those fan blades at standstill and that propellor ain't going nowhere, with smoke and sparks flying out of the motor. The only exception would probably be a Turbo Supra or a Nissan Turbo Six. A Ford 6, 8 or German performance motor would be the like a heavy duty grinder, real torque where you wouldn't want to stick your hand near the blades, regardless of whether it is at 10rpm or 8,000rpm.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #24
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only wild card on the horizon from Ford that I can see is the Ranger Raptor.
While not a being a GT performance car it will give people endless options for customisation and will look mean as hell if done right.
Hopefully it will have some kind of V8 or twin turbo V6 as an option.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #25
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post

Not real keen on anything German (Audi, VW, BMW, Merc). The snobs, suits and ties, and types who drive these things are not really what I want to be associated with.

I have been looking at Jag/Rover. Jag XF-R and Range Rover Sport seem to be what the Falcon/Territory would have been if Ford Aus designers had their hands on a bigger budget. I wonder if any ex Ford Aus designers went to the UK??

Any car would be better than a Mondeo, even a Toyota Corolla. Driven one and it does absolutely nothing for me. It is as clinical, cold and soulless as can be.

Nothing out of the Korean stable impresses me, no matter how much styling they apply, even if they were RWD V8 (e.g. genesis or Kia K9). To me they are like a homely ugly duckling lady who went out and spent a mint on cosmetic surgery to look like a supermodel.
Couldn't agree more. The future Falcon is the Jag, the future Territory is the F-Pace. Add a sprinkle of Range Rovers for good measure.

And look at the prices, the difference between Falcon/Commodore prices now and what you will pay is the cost of not having a domestic car industry.
Old 20-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #26
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post

Also, there was an English connection with the Falcon engineering: in the 1990s Tickford's engineers teamed up with Ford Oz for the EBII S-XR6, XR6 motor development, EB GT motor development. Tickford's whole philosophy (that infinitely bettered the Falcon product at the time, and in time became it's DNA) was quality handling and power enough to enjoy it. I think John Wright has described the early XR6 as being some of the finest road cars ever offered by Ford Oz. Reviews of EBII S-XR6 described it as being a BMW for those that couldn't afford one (paraphrased), Ford's marketing genius was to take this DNA and make it acceptable to the company fleet manager.
Old 20-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #27
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Quote:
To be fair Toyota Reiz hasn't got much to do with Lexus we get here. It sounds like a mish mash car produced for chinese marked alone.
A Toyota Reiz is a Toyota Mark X (Japanese and other Asian nations market, and has a cult following around Asia), which in turn is the chassis in the Lexus GS.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 20-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #28
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm hoping to get a good few years yet out of my Falcon.
Based on what's around at the moment? I pretty much want a Mustang.
I'd like the 8, but that's closing in on 1k rego here in Queensland, so I think the EcoBoost would do me just fine.

I also like the look of the new Mondeos, and the Trend is better specced than my G6E.
But I don't know how i'll go with a slower car. It feels like the only way is up, and I may not enjoy driving it.

Actually, the lack of digital speedo bugs me too. I've really come to enjoy having one!
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #29
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A Toyota Reiz is a Toyota Mark X (Japanese and other Asian nations market, and has a cult following around Asia), which in turn is the chassis in the Lexus GS.
Not quite - Reiz is X120 platform (related to Mark X and Cressida) and GS and LS are S platform . Reiz is a chinese special model and not related to GS.
Mark X also not related to GS.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 20-04-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 21-04-2016, 12:41 AM   #30
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Quote:
Not quite - Reiz is X120 platform (related to Mark X and Cressida) and GS and LS are S platform . Reiz is a chinese special model and not related to GS.
Mark X also not related to GS.
That's news to me, from what the two Mark X forums I'm a member of have said and a Lexus dealer have said in person, the Mark X/Reiz is the same platform as the GS.

Don't disagree, would just like to know your source.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build