Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default XR5T v XR6T v WRX - Wheels Mag

Got my subscription in the mail early (For a Change)

Awesome write up on both Ford's.... Dont know if anyone else read this... but its a pretty glowing report on the Focus. Apart from the ability to get it off the line cleanly for 0-100kph testing, DAMP CALDER so only did 7.6 to 100kph and 15.5 QTR - Same Track XR6T did 14.5 QTR so not too far off the pace.

In this day and age fuel consumption is somewhat important, the XR5 used 13.4 litres per 100km on test versus the WRX which used 15.4 and XR6T which used 17.4.... . proves they were driving them they way they should be driven

Anyone wanting some more detail, dont want to spoil too much for people if they want to read it themselves....

Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Scott

What was the WRX qtr time?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
What was the WRX qtr time?
WRX: 14.6 @ 152kph
XR5T: 15.5 @ 151kph
XR6T: 14.5 @ 164kph

Shows plenty of boogy once moving.... for the XR5T
Old 20-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Not much in Kph or Mph between the Foci and Rex, hopefully with a good launch it could do a similar time to that off the rex.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
marcosambrose

The XR5T is front wheel drive too remember, so thats not a bad time on a damp track.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 02:01 AM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

I find it a bit of a stupid comparison XR6T to XR5T, i can see why so many would want to see the results but honestly they are 2 totaly different types of cars.
Old 21-05-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I find it a bit of a stupid comparison XR6T to XR5T, i can see why so many would want to see the results but honestly they are 2 totaly different types of cars.
I see it as a huge bonus!
The XR6T is the "in" car at the moment and I think the XR5T will follow in the foot steps of the Falcon.

D:
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 03:49 AM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
I see it as a huge bonus!
The XR6T is the "in" car at the moment and I think the XR5T will follow in the foot steps of the Falcon.

D:
I think he was refering to the fact the XR5T is a Hot Hatch, and the XR6T is a family car with mods.

Look in the UK where the car sells in numbers - they don't compare the Focus ST to family cars. They compare them to Hot Hatchs, such as the Golf GTI, Megane 225 Turbo Cup, Mazda3MPS (when out) etc etc.

Why I would look at an XR6T when I go hunting for a XR5T... I have no clue

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I think he was refering to the fact the XR5T is a Hot Hatch, and the XR6T is a family car with mods.

Look in the UK where the car sells in numbers - they don't compare the Focus ST to family cars. They compare them to Hot Hatchs, such as the Golf GTI, Megane 225 Turbo Cup, Mazda3MPS (when out) etc etc.

Why I would look at an XR6T when I go hunting for a XR5T... I have no clue
OK hot hatches are cool, but I think you are a little misguided.

A XR6T a family car with mods? True, but they are fairly substaintial mods dont you think...

The same can be said for the XR5T, a girls car with mods?

Yes comparing the XR6T to the XR5T is a little odd, but both cars attract similar people. Its just now those people might start to worry about fuel costs. But even then, the savings re not great.

I guess if you did 100% city driving it might be different, the XR5T would be the go for sure.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
You are right, it is a weird comparison.

But they stated, they were going to a full hot hatch shoot out nearer the end of year when they have the Astra VXR, the Mazda 3 MPS and can also compare the VW Golf GTi as well as the XR5T. So thats coming...

I think what they were trying to highlight is that this Focus is bloody quick, incredibly driveable, and can more than keep up, and hold its own against two affordable icons over the past few years. Plus it has a $5000+ price advantage over both of them.
Old 21-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
Lagom

I've found the XR5T doesn't quite have the same "wow" kick in the back like the XR6T - arguably this has a lot to do with the really flat torque curve, but the power in the higher gears isn't quite as nice

Having said that, the XR5T's brakes are miles better than the XR6Ts and it changes direction noticeable better. The manual gearbox is much nicer too - shorter, smoother shifts, lighter clutch - find the Falcon boxes a little heavy and clunky. Plus I'd say the XR5T sounds better inside.

On a tight twisty road, I know which one I'd prefer
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #12
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
.....The same can be said for the XR5T, a girls car with mods?....
um, there must be alot of cross-dressing girls out there, the Focus has such an incredible fan-base in europe its amazing, check out www.ffoc.co.uk - i dont see many girls there.

When petrol is $2.30 a litre, we'll see what car your driving... _2:

comparitively speaking, the astra is what i would call a girls car, look at most of thier drivers - middle aged women.
Old 21-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #13
Walkinshaw
Two > One

wierd they didit include a Viper or a MercSLR. Fits in with wheels' selection critera obviously if they compare a T and an XR5

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #14
amlohac

Its not that weird, really. Its showing all those unhelpful people you talk to in tunning shops (you know the ones where you say Focus and they go "you mean falcon?") that the focus is kickin the off thier common family wagons
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
Its not that weird, really. Its showing all those unhelpful people you talk to in tunning shops (you know the ones where you say Focus and they go "you mean falcon?") that the focus is kickin the off thier common family wagons
I agree - but shouldn't Wheels have first Sold the car to those that WANT a Hot Hatch?! Like, you would think they'd do a Golf GTi Vs Megane 225 Cup Vs XR5T first, then the XR6T vs XR5T later.

Honestly, they need to get their priorities sorted!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 21-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
i get that but they say "you mean FESTIVA". I usually have to leave after that. :SaiyanSmi
Old 21-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #17
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I agree - but shouldn't Wheels have first Sold the car to those that WANT a Hot Hatch?! Like, you would think they'd do a Golf GTi Vs Megane 225 Cup Vs XR5T first, then the XR6T vs XR5T later.

Honestly, they need to get their priorities sorted!

Agreed there, But I also understand WHY they didnt do the HOT Hatch shoot out... I mean i guess from our point of view, why not do a 'few' shoot out's.
But from their point of view, maybe they didnt have the resources available to do it...

I guess the bottom line of the story is that in comparison to the Other 2 cars, The XR5T is probably the best of the lot. And its to SELL the car to the public for those uneducated folk out there. People know the reputation of the XR6T and the WRX, but they probably havnt heard of a Focus ST, most of the people on here have for obvious reasons....

Who knows...
It was a good write up, very glowing review, and one that highlighted the excellent value of the car compared to the main stream champs in other disciplines. (AWD and RWD)
Old 21-05-2006, 11:49 PM   #18
Mick K.

I'd say that a "hot hatch" comparison will be on the cards for Wheels / Motor when the Astra VXR and Mazda3 MPS are released in a few months. Golf vs Megane vs Focus vs Astra vs Mazda3.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #19
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
I'd say that a "hot hatch" comparison will be on the cards for Wheels / Motor when the Astra VXR and Mazda3 MPS are released in a few months. Golf vs Megane vs Focus vs Astra vs Mazda3.

MK

And wont that just be an awesome comparo.... BFYB's this year will be a cracker.
Old 22-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #20
Steffo
LPG > You

Worst comparison ever. How does a 1700kg, 5 metre long, 1.8 metre wide, RWD, large displacement, large torque turbocharged sports sedan comapre to a far smaller, FWD, small displacement, smallish torque turbocharged hot hatch? It doesn't.

And 15.5 vs 14.5 1/4 is absolute slaughter. 1 whole second... big time ouch. Clearly shows they're in a totally different league.

XR5 Turbo vs Golf GTI... that's something I can't wait to see (and a comparo that makes sense).
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #21
Nappa
Impressive...

maybe they wernt able to secure the cars that they wanted and had to make do with what they had, im guessing it wont be long until they pit it against its real rivals.
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #22
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
maybe they wernt able to secure the cars that they wanted and had to make do with what they had, im guessing it wont be long until they pit it against its real rivals.
Probably, in the mean time, download the Astra VXR vs Focus ST/XR5 clip from 5th Gear, should answer some of the questions posted here.

vxr vs st
Old 22-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
um, there must be alot of cross-dressing girls out there, the Focus has such an incredible fan-base in europe its amazing, check out www.ffoc.co.uk - i dont see many girls there.

When petrol is $2.30 a litre, we'll see what car your driving... _2:

comparitively speaking, the astra is what i would call a girls car, look at most of thier drivers - middle aged women.
I was merly pointing out that a XR6T is a bit more than a spec'd up falcon, just as much as a focus XR5T is a hot hatch.

I know the ST has a big fan base..and if you read my post i did say that the XR5T would be better because of the fuel situation.....
:nutsycuck
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #24
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Agreed there, But I also understand WHY they didnt do the HOT Hatch shoot out... I mean i guess from our point of view, why not do a 'few' shoot out's.
But from their point of view, maybe they didnt have the resources available to do it...

I guess the bottom line of the story is that in comparison to the Other 2 cars, The XR5T is probably the best of the lot. And its to SELL the car to the public for those uneducated folk out there. People know the reputation of the XR6T and the WRX, but they probably havnt heard of a Focus ST, most of the people on here have for obvious reasons....

Who knows...
It was a good write up, very glowing review, and one that highlighted the excellent value of the car compared to the main stream champs in other disciplines. (AWD and RWD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
And wont that just be an awesome comparo.... BFYB's this year will be a cracker.
Agree with you there! Can't wait to read the BFYB this year. Considering the RSC (my car ) came 3rd last year (behind only the Evo8 and STi) [Was 4th in October 2003, and 6th in PCOTY in 2005!], and the fact I paid $34,500, and today I met a guy who owns an XR5T and paid $40,000... I can't wait!
Surely, this is going to be the BFYB king!

On another note... saying they decided to wait for the other crop of Hot Hatches to arrive. What a load of crap. They test the Commo Vs Falcon allllllllllllllllll the time, no matter what, even if a new model is coming out in a few months. Just an excuse by wheels... Why then do I still see the VZ being tested? The VE is out in September, so, that means that till Sept, I shall not see another Commo review. About time!

I think I would begin to appreciate the Wheels and Motor mags if they began testing more European cars ...

Old 25-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #25
fast66

Jesus guys give it up.
Big deal if they did this test. I know with the price of fuel today, people who have traditionally been performance Falcon/Commodore buyers are beginning to look at smaller performance cars. They want to know how this type of car compares to what they are used to. What good is an Astra/XR5T/whatever test to them. They have no idea about any of these cars. This comparison is simply used to show how the "new breed" of performance car will stack up against "traditional" ones. If you are getting that upset about it, its time to have a nice warm cup of tea and a sleep! :
fast66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #26
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast66
Jesus guys give it up.
Big deal if they did this test. I know with the price of fuel today, people who have traditionally been performance Falcon/Commodore buyers are beginning to look at smaller performance cars. They want to know how this type of car compares to what they are used to. What good is an Astra/XR5T/whatever test to them. They have no idea about any of these cars. This comparison is simply used to show how the "new breed" of performance car will stack up against "traditional" ones. If you are getting that upset about it, its time to have a nice warm cup of tea and a sleep! :
Just what I've been thinking, but couldn't express it that succinctly.

And let's face it guys, how many times have we all read "And i beat this crummy commodore off the lights last night etc etc blah blah". It is a comparison people are interested in
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #27
amlohac

Thats what ive said before in a previous post. I went and bought the mag today. They actually say in the article that some may see it as odd to have the xr6t in the comparo but it was there to show the fuel price angries that there is a performance car out there that doesnt eat the fuel like a homeless person. ALSO they said the hot hatch shootout will be in a little less than 12 months when all the new breed of hot hatch has been released into the aussie market. So there should now be no argument on the subject lol.
Old 25-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #28
amlohac

oh and the xr5t rated the highest out of the 3 with 4 and half stars.
Old 25-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #29
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Thats what ive said before in a previous post. I went and bought the mag today. They actually say in the article that some may see it as odd to have the xr6t in the comparo but it was there to show the fuel price angries that there is a performance car out there that doesnt eat the fuel like a homeless person. ALSO they said the hot hatch shootout will be in a little less than 12 months when all the new breed of hot hatch has been released into the aussie market. So there should now be no argument on the subject lol.
Amlohac.... you're not suggesting that people should actually READ the article before bagging it are you? hehe
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #30
amlohac

OMG what a revalation! Anyone would think you majored in common sence!