Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
scottc

Default Buying a Focus

Hey everyone,

the Wife wants a new car, and I have steered her towards a Focus

I was keen on the Turbo diesel, but the local dealer didnt have one I could test drive.
Any opinions on the TDCI over the petrol?
As far as I can work out, the diesel has 120kw and 340nm of torque, and the petrol 125 and 202.

Any thoughts, and anyone recommend a dealer in Melbourne?

Cheers, Scott.

scottc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Buying a Focus

Hey mate I can recommend a dealer and a salesman who I deal with, he's great. I'm fairly sure he is still there as well.

What type of driving do you do?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
scottc

Hey Damo,

that would be awesome!

Well it's for the misses, so pretty much just a daily driver. She has a 2005 Mazda sp23, which has only done 50k, but having said that, I would love something sporty!

Scott.
Old 20-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mix of highway and city stop start, or just city?
Old 20-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
scottc

I would say mix of highway and city.
Old 20-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The diesels have a diesel particulate filter somewhere in the exhaust, what it does is stops soot and other crap from coming out the pipe and it needs to be able to get warm to burn it all off.

Unfortunately if you only take the thing on short trips in stop start conditions without it getting hot enough like inner city it won't have a chance to get hot enough and it'll clog up and have to do its burn-off.

I'd say go the diesel, I have a TDCI LV Focus, except 6sp manual and having this much torque is great, overtaking is easy and the thing will pull up hills in 4th gear doing 1500 RPM without issue and still have go left to accelerate hard if you want to without having to drop back a gear.

I'm averaging 5.5L/100km out of my Focus.
Old 20-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Go the diesel for sure. Got my wife one for her birthday and we both love the great torque and economy.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
scottc

The Sport or Titanium?
Old 20-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm not too sure on the new LW spec levels, I think Titanium is the top of the range, it has some cool features.

I think you can option up HIDs or at least projector halogens on these babies, if you do a lot of night driving in country areas, well worth the extra cost.
Old 20-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
scottc

I think the difference between the Sport and Titanium is the wheels, the 6 speed auto, park assist, partial leather, keyless start, heated seats.
Old 21-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #11
makattkd
RallyNav

Good choice, I am leaning on trading my FG XR6 in on a Diesel Titanium.

Same problem though, only had a petrol to test drive. Gotta wait a month!
makattkd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
sysh
A few screw loose

.. looking at the mileage of the 2005 Mazda SP23 which is about 50k, it seems that your wife doesn't really drive much (i.e. maybe 10+k a year). Personally if the car isn't really a workhorse, you wouldn't be able to recoup the $3k extra spent on the Diesel with savings you're gonna save on the fuel.

But I guess it all boils down to how deep your pocket is
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
scottc

Yeh fair call sysh,

The diesel sounds like it has lots of torque, so am looking forward to a test drive. The dealer I spoke to said the diesel is not as economic as the petrol around town, not sure how revvy it is.

Damo, i'm having trouble with my pm's, i'm receiving email notification that I have received a pm, but nothing in my pm inbox. Not as if it is full either?

Scott.
Old 21-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc
Yeh fair call sysh,

The diesel sounds like it has lots of torque, so am looking forward to a test drive. The dealer I spoke to said the diesel is not as economic as the petrol around town, not sure how revvy it is.

Damo, i'm having trouble with my pm's, i'm receiving email notification that I have received a pm, but nothing in my pm inbox. Not as if it is full either?

Scott.
Thats rather odd, anyways what I was messaging:

If you don't mind a trip to Melbourne's nothern suburbs, there is "AutoCentro" just off the Tullamarine Freeway, theres Great Wall Motors, Ford, Hyundai, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge, Volkswagen, Mazda, Toyota and Honda dealerships right next to each other, all within walking distance, no crap they're all right next to each other, except Volkswagen, which is probably a good 100m away from the others.

If you decide on the new Focus ring up Essendon Ford, ask for the salesman Habib Chacha, if he's still there tell him Damien from Honda sent you and that you're interested in a new Focus, he'll look after you, he's one of my ex workmates, we both used to work at Honda.

If he's not there, ask for the sales manager and tell him Damien who stacked the new Focus sent you

http://www.essendonford.com.au/

Their number will be on their site, thats the dealership, all the dealerships in the area where only built 2 to 3 years ago, so everything is well designed and new.

The diesel isn't just worth it for the fuel economy, I found compared to the petrol ones, that the diesel is a ******** better to drive, the torque is amazing.
Old 21-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
scottc

Nice one mate

Will check it out! I'm looking forward to giving the diesel a run.

Scott.
Old 21-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #16
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I would advise you test drive both petrol and diesel and get the Missus to drive both as well
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #17
sysh
A few screw loose

Yea, I guess the grunt from the torquey Diesel would selling point IMHO. The Petrol is decent, but sedated as compared to the Diesel.

Next question, for those driving the Petrol.. how much mileage are you guys getting from a full tank of fuel? and are you using RON91/95/98? Trying to gauge mine
Old 22-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #18
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I say diesel is the future

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #19
DeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysh
Next question, for those driving the Petrol.. how much mileage are you guys getting from a full tank of fuel? and are you using RON91/95/98? Trying to gauge mine
Don't talk about mileage in terms of distance from a tank - please talk about it in litres per 100km.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #20
ConradP

I get anywhere from 8-10l/100km my daiily drive is just through small back roads with lots of traffic lights but weekends i head off on freeways and it drops it.

Currently at 9.8, also I'm not the most economical driver. On 98 octane.

And apparently the petrol has a 55l tank, yet when i fill up when i'm told I've got <20kms left in there i get 44-46l into it only.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #21
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
And apparently the petrol has a 55l tank, yet when i fill up when i'm told I've got <20kms left in there i get 44-46l into it only.
haha yeah i've always been a bit baffled by that i've filled up when the needle was down on or below empty and also can only fill it with about 45L

i think it automatically keeps some in reserve for the worst case scenarios

not sure if the focus has a small reserve tank - i would not consider 10L to be small - but some cars do especially older cars without trip computers such as in the Focus
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #22
sysh
A few screw loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
haha yeah i've always been a bit baffled by that i've filled up when the needle was down on or below empty and also can only fill it with about 45L

i think it automatically keeps some in reserve for the worst case scenarios

not sure if the focus has a small reserve tank - i would not consider 10L to be small - but some cars do especially older cars without trip computers such as in the Focus
Yea, my previous car used to close to a10l reserve tank too (or at least before the light comes on).. so I knew I still could run it a fair 70 - 80kms before I had to pump in some fuel.

I'm running about 8.5l/100km @ RON95. I think that's about average city/highway driving.
Old 23-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #23
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

You youngins' must have even more lead in your right boot than I have, I'm running 98 RON and average around 7.4 L / 100 with a combination of city / hwy and I don't mind giving it a good fang now and then either Calculated using the kilometres travelled into litres used method not relying on the onboard computer although it's not far off the mark
Old 23-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My LV Focus did something very odd regarding the consumption / DTE reading. I was visiting my brother with 30km DTE when he asked to borrow the car urgently to tow something then and there.

Went down to 7km DTE, and was getting really worried.... he hops in to reverse the trailer into position, back and forth several times.

Then I hop in... DTE was now back to 23km.

Go figure...... I hate it when it gets below 50.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #25
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you need to let the moths out of your wallet more often
Old 25-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #26
harveyr

I ordered a Focus Sport diesel in mid-September. Expected delivery mid-December!!!!
harveyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #27
Pete A
Boss 260

Had the Titanium Petrol for 3 months. Very good. Drove the Diesel. Definately goes harder but the price tag I think is a bit high. They'd sell more if the price differential was closer. I still have one problem with Diesel. There are still usually 1 bowser (2 pumps) at most petrol stations. That's probably the main reason I didn't get one to be honest. (still don't like the engine sound - sorry).
Pete A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #28
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc
Hey everyone,

the Wife wants a new car, and I have steered her towards a Focus

I was keen on the Turbo diesel, but the local dealer didnt have one I could test drive.
Any opinions on the TDCI over the petrol?
As far as I can work out, the diesel has 120kw and 340nm of torque, and the petrol 125 and 202.

Any thoughts, and anyone recommend a dealer in Melbourne?

Cheers, Scott.
Ring Sathis @ Strapp Ford Doncaster (03) 8848 1222 they have a Titanium diesel demo you can drive, looked at it yesterday Candy Red Hatch $35,777 Drive Away.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #29
scottc

Thanks Spoolman,

will give him a call!