Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question Factory tours at Broadmeadows?

The Minister for Finance has approved the disbursement of fundage for a holiday to Victoria to see the Moto GP in October.

While we are there, I'd like to have a look at the Ford factory. Do they do tours? I'd like to have a look through Broady both because it is the Ford Australia factory, but also because I would like to see the inner workings of a car plant, how one works and see how a car is made.

I know about the Discovery Centre in Geelong and will go there if I can't get a tour of the plant, but to satisfy my inner automotive construction nerd a look at the inner sanctum of the plant would be just super

Is this possible?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Autolite

Hi Roady,
I went on a tour (Ford factory) about a year ago however it was organised through a mate who has a relative working there. I would suggest contacting Ford directly and see what's available. The tour only lasted about 30-45 mins but it was very interesting to see all of the manufacturing processes.
Autolite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah I gave them a call and they told me to send them an email and they will consider my request. No guarantees though and I get the impression that they don't really do them. No harm in asking though.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 21-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That sounds great, as I am in NSW & have never been south of Canberra I have not ever been but would love too one day, can you take a few pics if you go & tell us what it was like.
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I would imagine the taking of happy snaps would be totally banned.

Old 21-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Not sure about Ford, but I went to see the Toyota factory from work.. Was about a 2 hour tour and we went from start to finish, except the paintshop, which was in a airlock..
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I've done the factory tour a few times. I'd recommend it if you can get in.

Try contacting the Ford Discovery Centre, they should be able to advise on the status of factory tours. It's also well worth a visit in it's own right while your down that way, it's located in Geelong.
Old 21-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
1970galaxie
Fat 460

I did the tour years ago when they were building XFs.
Rang them, told us when the tour was on, rocked up, and there we were.

I can't remember if we were told not to take photos or not. I guess they did, because I always take photos. .......and I haven't got any. But got a booklet on how the operation works.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
tommyd
Starter Motor

I've always maintained that the process of building a car is one of the wonders of the modern manufacturing world. Any person with only half an interest in cars would be fascinated.

Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to give people that opportunity. Not nearly as good, but pretty much the next best thing, is this series of pictures taken recently in Ford's spanking new plant in Chennai. The pics actually cover quite a lot of ground, and are remarkable if only for the fact that photography is always banned within plants.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-fiestas.html
tommyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
4dlvr
4dlvr

im 100% sure ford plant broadmeadows does not do tours anymore
tried to organize one last year and that's what i was told
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah there are more and more issues with OH&S and insurance having members of the public in a car plant.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could just hold off on that trip for a few years. Then it might just be a matter of looking in the "factories for lease" section in the paper.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd
I've always maintained that the process of building a car is one of the wonders of the modern manufacturing world. Any person with only half an interest in cars would be fascinated.

Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to give people that opportunity. Not nearly as good, but pretty much the next best thing, is this series of pictures taken recently in Ford's spanking new plant in Chennai. The pics actually cover quite a lot of ground, and are remarkable if only for the fact that photography is always banned within plants.

Great link - many thanks!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd

This was the Car Ford Australia help develop http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009...for-figo-16801
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #15
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

yeh the discovery centre said when i was there 3mths ago that tours had been canned and not sure when they would start up again.

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #16
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Had the prevlige back in High School. Went on an Excursion for Business Managment Assignment. Its an amazing experience. Lots of gifts and brochures.
The HR Team had organised games and Trivia Questions. I answered most of them lol.
I can never Forget when they asked how many other car manufacturers Ford owns or has stake in. I new all of them from top of my head, I was quite impressed myself and most of the people in the room. I got polo shirt as reward and I cherish it dearly.
I hope you get an oppurtunity to tour and its fantastic experience seeing all the robots at work and how the cars come in production line (in parts) and theirs this line of workers standing waiting to put it all together one by one.
if you get an opportunity let me know i want to do it again.

cheers
H
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Pity they don't do them anymore, would be great to see the FG being built.

Quote: