Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Q Police work overtime to catch up on fines

Police work overtime to catch up on fines
Article from: The Sunday Mail (Qld)

By Darrell Giles

April 19, 2009 12:00am

POLICE are working overtime to make up for lost speeding tickets from recent wet weather, when it was too unsafe for radar traps. But they deny it's revenue-raising.

Police Minister Neil Roberts confirmed the extra police presence, and said it was tough luck for speeding motorists.

"The best deterrent to dangerous driving practices on our roads is the presence of police," he said. "That is why over the Easter long weekend the Queensland Police Service allocated extra resources to undertake traffic enforcement on our roads.

"However, inclement weather in some parts of the state impacted the service's ability to undertake some operations as planned.

"It simply is not safe for officers and motorists to undertake some traffic operations in bad weather."

He said operations which had been delayed were carried out later in the weekend once the weather had improved.

Police sources told The Sunday Mail last week they had been earning big overtime dollars doing the "special" duty to make up for the lost hours.

Mr Roberts said the overtime bill was not excessive.

"These changes in the timing of traffic operations had only a limited financial effect, as traffic operations during the Easter period are funded as part of the Road Safety Initiative Package," he said.

"RSIP funding provides overtime and penalty rates for officers to ensure that during times of high road use throughout the year, traffic enforcement is increased.

"I make no apology for having police on the street, catching those people putting their lives, and the lives of others, in danger by driving dangerously."

Old 19-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Neil Roberts is a dumbarse, decent people see through this crap.

You can drive like a total a-hole in AUS, provided you don't exceed the numerical figures on a street sign, or one of the two defaults. Driving 'badly' *is* a national pastime here, people are bored I guess.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

What a total crock of steaming
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the weather conditions were appalling, making it very dangerous out on the roads, but the police were not out there to prevent stupid behaviour.......but they catch up with fines when the weather is better. Yep, that's what we call revenue raising. They would call it reaching benchmarks that were insufficiently fulfilled.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

for one it was written by a journalist - if there is an article against ford, we complain about the journalist, but in this one take the heading as gospel

for two, we complain about speed cameras because they show no discretion, like an officer can and then when the police presence is there - more complaints

there should be a larger police presence on our roads
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
...You can drive like a total a-hole in AUS, provided you don't exceed the numerical figures on a street sign, or one of the two defaults. Driving 'badly' *is* a national pastime here, people are bored I guess.
Bang on mate. Thats what I've been telling people for years. I have friends and rellies that are cops, and even they say that.

This is blatant revenue raising.

One day I'm gonna sneak up and steal the plates off the speed van and bolt em on to my car and deliberatly get caught.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
for one it was written by a journalist - if there is an article against ford, we complain about the journalist, but in this one take the heading as gospel

for two, we complain about speed cameras because they show no discretion, like an officer can and then when the police presence is there - more complaints

there should be a larger police presence on our roads
i'm with you on that one.

i only wish there would be more police presence too. tuesday morning i went to see a mechanic friend of mine in beenleigh. 1 cop car was sitting just outside his workshop's driveway at the top of the hill on logan river road headed towards beenleigh.

i kid you not, the longest gap they had (only 2 officers) between cars getting pulled over and fined was about 1 to 2 minutes. they were there for 2 hours catching people speeding over and over and over.

more police are needed on our roads, specially in QLD. every time i have friends from interstate come up and visit they are always surprised that they never see any cops driving around like they do in other states.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
One day I'm gonna sneak up and steal the plates off the speed van and bolt em on to my car and deliberatly get caught.
Sort of already been done. Do a little search, its funny stuff.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
BOSHOG
avenge me

there should be a larger police pressence on our roads for sure. i think there should be a VISIBLE police presence to pursuade drivers to drive slower for longer periods instead of hiding around corners with cameras which allow drivers to speed up as soon as theyre past the camera.

a little off topic but it would be nice if they targeted things like people not indicating, not using merging/turning lanes correctly, and bad manners (people sitting in right lanes causing people have bad manners of their own by tailgating) in general on the road as well as speeding, maybe they dont target things like this because the fines dont warrant it. people complain about road rage on the roads and want less of it, maybe they should fix the cause as well as the rage.

bad manners on the roads just causes more bad manners, which causes traffic problems, which causes accidents, which causes personal loss and injury. driving would be more enjoyable if people were actually aware of whats going on around them and react to it

my 2 cents
BOSHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #10
Bent8
Long live the GT !

The police are not interested in stopping careless drivers, it's much much easier to fine someone $100 for going 4kph too fast than try to pick out a drunk driver or one who doesn't even have a license.

The current economic climate will see a huge increase in these kinds of revenue-raising as the Australian government slowly but surely goes bankrupt...just like the rest of the world.

In a sense I don't blame them, because let's face it, we're all after one thing in the end, THE DOSH!!

I'm going out to pick on some more speed-camera operators ;) ...and warn some fellow drivers of their locations.

Because let's face it, this is literally highway robbery!

Have a nice day everyone.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8

Because let's face it, this is literally highway robbery!
It is?
Hmm, to rob someone breaking the law...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Now don't you people (Queenslanders that is) go complaining about the Government up here, she was vote back in with a big majority.

You only get the government you deserve........

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Tell me about it, i nearly got nabbed just before Gympie this morning, not watching the speedo and i was doing about 108 in 100 zone... luckily for me he just shook his index finger and kept going!! They seem to be everywhere thisarvo!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I seen afew this morning down the M1 to the Gold Coast
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 19-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
WRP11
NF Fairlane ghia

I always thought the speed camera vans on the side of the highway were meant to be seen, a deterant they said, so i'd like to know why there was one litterally in the bushes on the M1 southbound just past the helensvale overpass, couldnt see it till you were past it, thats not a deterant, thats streight up pulling in the $.
WRP11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRP11
I always thought the speed camera vans on the side of the highway were meant to be seen, a deterant they said, so i'd like to know why there was one litterally in the bushes on the M1 southbound just past the helensvale overpass, couldnt see it till you were past it, thats not a deterant, thats streight up pulling in the $.
I seen the same one last week in the same spot
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 19-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm heading up to the Gold Coast in September. So I'm guessing much like Vic, there is zero tolerance? Will need to mindful of going over even by 1 or 2 k's?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not quite as bad as Vic Bucky, i went passed a HWP today he was pointing a gun straight at traffic i was in centre lane (4 lanes) and i was doing 115kph and nothing. Speedo is out 2kmh aswell. Ive had afew occurances of this aswell some were about 8 over.

Edit- i do not encourage speeding
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 19-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #19
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Not quite as bad as Vic Bucky, i went passed a HWP today he was pointing a gun straight at traffic i was in centre lane (4 lanes) and i was doing 115kph and nothing. Speedo is out 2kmh aswell. Ive had afew occurances of this aswell some were about 8 over.

Edit- i do not encourage speeding
Ok cool. I know you weren't. :hihi: I'll stick to the limit, always intending too as nothing worst than putting a downer on a holiday by losing some points and money at the same time. More curious as too how vigilant I need to watch my speeds. If it was zero tolerance, I'd sit under the limit just to ensure it's a memorable holiday, for all the right reasons :

Thanks for the info
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #20
hdj80

[QUOTE=Bent8]The police are not interested in stopping careless drivers, it's much much easier to fine someone $100 for going 4kph too fast than try to pick out a drunk driver or one who doesn't even have a license.
/QUOTE]

Ahh the talk of the ignorant masses. Such drivel you know absolutely nothing about it yet you espouse such crud.

Go and talk to a cop before you come out with this worthless rubbish.
hdj80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #21
hdj80

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRP11
You're out of date. Qld now has unmarked/unsigned speed cameras. Not going to debate the values of them...a statement of fact - so the deterent value is now in the bin it seems.
Old 19-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

QLD is pretty easy going.. As said i went past a candy car today doing 108 and he just gave me a stern shake of the index finger, but never came back... And no i dont condone speeding either, was on a 400 km trip on a highway (aka the bruce) and the F6X was running away on me!
Old 19-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #23
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dunno about unmarked, most of them are marked, have a sign sitting in front of the van (which is useless, you see it in your rear view mirror after you passed it), 90% of the speed vans i've seen on the gold coast though have a bright red HWP car sitting behind them, pretty easy to spot.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdj80
You're out of date. Qld now has unmarked/unsigned speed cameras. Not going to debate the values of them...a statement of fact - so the deterent value is now in the bin it seems.
Yes i have noticed they dont put their little dicky sign out anymore and the cars now no longer have markings on them? When did this happen? Most of them still stand out like dogs balls neways...
Old 19-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
i dunno about unmarked, most of them are marked, have a sign sitting in front of the van (which is useless, you see it in your rear view mirror after you passed it), 90% of the speed vans i've seen on the gold coast though have a bright red HWP car sitting behind them, pretty easy to spot.

Thats only when they are doing either a driver swap, or they are dumping the van and leaving it unattended!
Old 19-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #26
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

must be damn good timing on my part then to catch them at the exact same time everytime i pass lol
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #27
PALE ALE

Watching the news tonight here in S.A., and they reported that our new minister for road safety has had 30 speeding/redlight camera fines, totalling $10,000 and has lost his license for these offences, the last offence was committed 12 months ago
This is the same bloke who has been all over the media condeming hoon/speeding drivers in the last couple of weeks, and that the government may introduce crushing offenders cars, like they do in the U.S. Should of seen his response, when a reporter asked him if his car should of been crushed, he stammered, stumbled, didnt know what to say!
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #28
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE ALE
Watching the news tonight here in S.A., and they reported that our new minister for road safety has had 30 speeding/redlight camera fines, totalling $10,000 and has lost his license for these offences, the last offence was committed 12 months ago
This is the same bloke who has been all over the media condeming hoon/speeding drivers in the last couple of weeks, and that the government may introduce crushing offenders cars, like they do in the U.S. Should of seen his response, when a reporter asked him if his car should of been crushed, he stammered, stumbled, didnt know what to say!

Thats Gold . I would off liked to have seen that.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #29
hdj80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Yes i have noticed they dont put their little dicky sign out anymore and the cars now no longer have markings on them? When did this happen? Most of them still stand out like dogs balls neways...
Probably 2 months ago they decided to run some unmarked and unsigned. Still run the marked ones as well.

They don't leave them unattended..the operator is probably just down redoing their shoelaces .

The other car will be a mate checking up on them or dropping something in 9 out of 10 times.

I think its not the one you see that is the problem its the one you didn't.
Old 20-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #30
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Revenue Raising - I wish that they would just admit it. So what if it was, they aren't doing anything wrong - they are still catching people breaking the law, but I wish they would just say they are chasing $$$.

AND

There should be more police patroling the roads in bad weather!!!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post