Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
jumbuck
Starter Motor

Default LV Diesel Wheel Bearing Problem

My diesel LV has done only 4000 k's and is getting it's second replacement left front wheel bearing. I can understand maybe one being dodgy from the factory but another one going so soon makes me wonder what is causing it.
Anyone have any ideas? Dealer said they have replaced the bearing and hub this time as opposed to just the bearing last time and I think they are hoping this will be the end of the problems. Wish I had their confidence as atm I will not drive the car out of the metro area in fear of going again. Car goes into limp mode so don't want to be too far from a mechanic if it happens again.

jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

It may be only shallow relief but I haven't heard this happening before. Common sense says that if a bearing fails twice then it's more than likely what ever the bearing is placed in, in your instance the hub.
It's possible that there was a machining fault in the bearing seat in your particular hub, there may have been a lip that hadn't been machined out or too much had been machined out causing movement in the bearing.

I doubt it's a faulty batch of bearings otherwise there'd be a lot more cases of it. And it would be extremely unlikely that you'd get a faulty one in servicing when you consider the likely hood of them being from the same batch. Then again, stranger things have happened.

It will also be telling if more people have the same issue.

Hope I've helped.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Dustproof

Default Wheel Bearing

Hi Jumbuck,

What they are doing is logical, at first the wheel bearing is replaced because of the possibility of a dud bearing. Second time in they replace the Hub, the reason is it might have been machined incorrectly causing the bearing to not run true which caused the original failure. By replacing the hub as well as a new bearing should fix it permanently because they are the only parts involved.

At the end of the day a car is just a mechanical device, what needs to be done has to have some logic attached to it if it goes wrong. These guys seem to have it covered, I would get it fixed and enjoy your car.

Dusty
Old 25-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
jumbuck
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies guys. Although I really enjoy driving the Focus it hasn't been all that reliable so far. Hopefully all will be good from now on and I can put these Subaru brochures away for ever :-)
jumbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post