Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Karting - Anyone into it?

Was wondering how many members are into Karting?

I was/am looking at getting something for myself and one for the kids. I have no experience other than the usual birthday/special event occasions.

I guess my quandary at the moment is by the time you get the karts/racegear/trailer etc does it really end up being much cheaper than say getting a $15k race car thats already setup etc etc. (heaps of options on my105).

For those that have a setup what do you have and how has your purchase worked out? Curious to know the "oh I wish I had...." stories.

Thanks
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Karting - Anyone into it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Was wondering how many members are into Karting?

I was/am looking at getting something for myself and one for the kids. I have no experience other than the usual birthday/special event occasions.

I guess my quandary at the moment is by the time you get the karts/racegear/trailer etc does it really end up being much cheaper than say getting a $15k race car thats already setup etc etc. (heaps of options on my105).

For those that have a setup what do you have and how has your purchase worked out? Curious to know the "oh I wish I had...." stories.

Thanks
Have been yes. Buy used to start off is the best rec I can give you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT3VCruiser
Paul Rogers Transmissions in Bacchus Marsh Victoria does a T700 (not a T700E) conversion for Cleveland/windsors.
Basically he mills off the factory housing and adapts a Ford housing and supplies a modified convertor. He may also supply the crossmember but I can't confirm that's included.A friend is looking at getting the conversion
for his cobra. If all goes well I may go down this route in the future. All up cost is 5K which is rated to 550hp. There's a 850hp version as well but not sure on price.
https://m.facebook.com/PaulRogersPer...Transmissions/
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What class did you want to race?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #4
MattSAU2XR8

I found myself wondering about this too, eg. buy XR6 and a cart and trailer instead of an XR6 turbo to preserve the license. Biggest hurdles I've anticipated are where to store the trailer and travel time to a suitable track....
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son would love to do it but finding the funds is very difficult. So he does some racing at a karting centre where they supply the equipment. They don't race often enough tho
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEYBA View Post
My son would love to do it but finding the funds is very difficult. So he does some racing at a karting centre where they supply the equipment. They don't race often enough tho
Yeah a bit liek buying a boat, good for the 10 times a year you use it. For me at the moment it seems go kart tracks are more accessible than any race car track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
What class did you want to race?
No idea to be honest, something serious enough but no pro. Want enough power/weight that I can get into trouble. I dont want to be flat lining the whole time, was hoping to get something that requires some skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSAU2XR8
I found myself wondering about this too, eg. buy XR6 and a cart and trailer instead of an XR6 turbo to preserve the license. Biggest hurdles I've anticipated are where to store the trailer and travel time to a suitable track....
Well if you dont have a shed the only option would be an enclosed trailer I would think. Then roll them out to work on.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Karting would have to be much cheaper than a full sized car.

When I was a kid I had a mate who was into it and all he had was a ute that he'd chuck the cart into to take to races. If my memory serves it ran a Yamaha 100cc two stroke, no gears and was good for around 100 km/h flat out.
Tyres were the big cost, he would rip through them, but being little kart wheels they were relatively cheap.
He would go through a motor probably once a year but once again the cost was reasonable. He was a serious racer though and would flog them mercilessly.

I remember going to the Indy car grand prix on the Gold Coast in the early 90's and they used to run a race for "superkarts" these little monsters had two engines and 6 speed gearboxes and were serious weapons that would truly give a multi-million dollar Indy Car a run for it's money.
So there's a large performance/price range to choose from.

It would be a lot of fun.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Have you looked here => http://www.karting.net.au/
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
Joel.
Lost Focus In The Sunset

Use to, when I was a kid. Ended up being too expensive for my parents (dad did it aswell) to keep up so we stopped. I have a strong interest now to do it after going to a hire place that had proper 'J' karts rather than the four stroke slow karts as usual. But after adding up the price I simply can't do it under current circumstances. Car to tow, trailer, kart, spares, tyres, travel expenses plus a place to store all the equipment.
Joel. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
No idea to be honest, something serious enough but no pro. Want enough power/weight that I can get into trouble. I dont want to be flat lining the whole time, was hoping to get something that requires some skill.
A 125cc class then... Rotax and X30 are the two major 125 classes. The one you should run will depend on what is raced at your local club as that is the one that will have the numbers.

Bear in mind the rule makers think 125cc with 28-30hp is too much for us mere mortals to bear, so they make you drive them with an exhaust restrictor for the first year, which brings them down to 17hp or so. Only 1-1.5sec/lap slower.

Maintenance is not too bad as they're water-cooled, so you can get 20-25hrs between top-end rebuilds and 40-50hrs between bottom-end rebuilds (the rotax has the longer intervals than the X30).

The rotax uses a dellorto carb which is a bit of a pain, you have to change jets manually as air pressure/temperature change (you'll need a weather gauge). The X30 carb you can adjust on track as you drive.

This is the best forum to have your questions answered:

http://www.kartbook.net/forum
3 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2016, 12:29 AM   #11
xr8-200

A few years ago I started racing Formula Vee. There have been a few ex karters join and from what I've been told the racing budget for a 1200 Vee is cheaper or at least simular to karting. Being a light car they are quite easy on parts, brakes, tyres etc.

I have never raced karts myself, although it does look like great fun.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2016, 08:38 AM   #12
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

I raced a Yammy 100S in the Clubman class years ago, whole she-bang cost me about 5 grand, this was mid '90's. Pretty well what Mercury Bullet was describing in his post. Was a heck of a competitive class, with at least 3 weight divisions from memory. I still have all my gear, sitting tucked away in the shed, mostly due to the fact that it's all worth nothing now. I did fire her up a few years back, and it was a whole lot of fun running on nearly 20 year old slicks......
In Queensland at least there are still a few running, again depending on the club, but I believe there was another engine similar in characteristics that took over, nationally I think.
I've been out of it too long, but would love to do it again tomorrow although my ambitions would most certainly out do my abilities these days!

You can jump into the gearbox karts, with rotax donks etc, but it will cost you, as mentioned in other posts.
If the kids stick with it, the sky is the limit, our club has had a few drivers race overseas so who knows where they can finish up!

Ed
Old 29-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #13
snowcone

Or you could start this up in Aus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U2BC5sOltU
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
EWT

I'd love to get involved in karting, but the time and expense is too prohibitive.
Instead, I've gotten into iRacing, basically, internet racing against other like minded racers.
Really cheap to get into and loads of fun at anytime of the day or night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6sXKsOx-o
EWT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #15
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to race clubman
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a shifter kart... 40hp, 6 speed, front brakes, electronic paddle shift. After that, anything short of a superkart is boring.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #17
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I raced Clubman (Arrow chassis Yamaha 100). Still have trailer, suit helmet gloves boots and wait for it, a bloody huge faced tyre pressure gauge.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #18
shadow69
Starter Motor

we had around 20k invested in a trailer/kart etc and spent another 20k/year racing at a top level in nz. can be done cheaply as a club day racer but the kid was fast so had to give it a real go and then he realised it was to hard and gave up. we were less than 0.3sec/lap off the fastest. it has become a very professional sport with team managers/mechanics etc. the days of dads and sons turing up and being competitive has gone.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #19
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow69 View Post
we had around 20k invested in a trailer/kart etc and spent another 20k/year racing at a top level in nz. can be done cheaply as a club day racer but the kid was fast so had to give it a real go and then he realised it was to hard and gave up. we were less than 0.3sec/lap off the fastest. it has become a very professional sport with team managers/mechanics etc. the days of dads and sons turing up and being competitive has gone.
Teenage girl at our tack was serious. Her Yamaha Clubman was hitting 17,000 rpm. Needless to say it was rebuilt 'regularly'.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:26 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

20k a year....I'm definitely not looking to be that serious. At best I will get out once every month or two for a bit of fun and competition. Thanks for the input so far, I've got a bit of reading to do.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #21
GRANT ED

I race a 125. Spend about $3k a year which is a healthy budget. For just club racing you could easily do it for less.
GRANT ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2016, 01:02 AM   #22
Pilko FNQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser22
That'll be the last Terri
For serious sideways fun get into dirt karting. I did it for three years before needing to get some time back. Google AIDKA. Pilko.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #23
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

yep another one for Dirt karting
I did it for 3 yr and won 4 state plates when I was stuck in the NT and it was the best fun
its cheaper in a way that bitumen karts, yes tyres are more but they last 4 times as long if not longer , I only used to buy new tyres for state or national events and then use the old ones for club meets
you go through chains and sprockets a bit but they are cheap
I used to race in the KT mediums but its the same KT100 engine everyone uses,
the only reason I stopped is because I started mining all those years ago and 4 weeks on 1 off killed my racing .. and if I had the time I would get back into it
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post