Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Sounder
Starter Motor

Default Looking at an AU Fairlane Ghia

I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on an older V8 Fairmont, Fairlane or Statesman to use for driving to and from work (1300 km round trip every two weeks).

Local dealer here has just traded in a 99 AU Fairlane Ghia, 5 litre, 175k km, burgundy, stock standard. One owner, middle age woman, farmer. He's asking $8,000 drive away.

Took it for a test run and it drives well. Looks like it will be a good candidate for a few mods. Definitely needs a new exhaust system so I can hear it burble. It has a bit of paint missing on the front LHS bumper, the drivers door interior trim is pretty worn and the seats could use some sort of leather treatment. The climate control/trip computer screens either need new globes or a changeover unit from that bloke on ebay.

Had a look on redbook and searched a few car sales sites and it seems like a good buy. What do you guys reckon?

Sounder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

AU2's are a far better buy, but you do pay a little more for them in similiar condition. As far as this one goes, I'd say you can get better in the same price range. Would you consider private sales? They're generally in better condition.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

You can do better for that money.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Sounder
Starter Motor

No worries. I'm having trouble finding better for the money... they all seem to be I6's. If you spot any, feel free to link em.

Heading back up to work today, so I'll check out Whyalla and Port Augusta on the way up. I'll be back in two weeks, then I'll see how keen he is to move it.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

You'll always pay more in SA compared to the east coast but I still recon you could do better....... and don't discount the i6 too quickly, it's got enough go to make overtaking a B-double a breeze and gets good economy on the highway; and if you put it on LPG as well it'll be cheap as to run. Having said that, if you're set on a V8 I'd still be looking for a S2.

Another option ,if you have the time, is to get one from over here on the east coast, they're cheap as for what you get and the money you'd save on the buy will more than pay for a plane fare and fuel to get home again.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 07-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Sounder
Starter Motor

I had an EL Fairmont with the I6 for a few years. Loved it. But I'm after a V8. My last V8 was a 1977 XC Fairmont 351. Man, I loved that car... wish I still had it.

Not too worried about the fuel economy... it's going to better than the Patrol. Yeah, the East Coast would be the go, but I reckon it'd be too much hassle. I think I'd rather spend a few more dollars than spend that much time.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
EF-MattyB
EF-Weapon

Hey mate,

Just to give you an idea i picked up a 99 AU Fairlane V8 Ghia with 126k on the clock and in pristene condition for $7700. That with black leather, stacker in the boot and all the usual ghia extras. I have also noticed of late that it has the blue 24lb injectors which is a bonus. As from what i have read they should only come with orange 19lb.

That was a private sale also.

So just keep your eyes open and see whast around!!!

Hope that helps?
EF-MattyB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Sounder
Starter Motor

Cheers Matty. He just called and dropped another $500. I'm pretty tempted at $7,500. I'm a hopeless impulse buyer, but I reckon I'll leave it for two weeks and if it's still there when I get back I'll grab it.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Get it up on a hoist and checked by a pro, then nit pick any little fault or blemish you find, then offer him 6k cash and see what response you get.

BTW., just remember the i6 in a Fairlane is the Tickford VCT engine with 168kw, not just the regular 157kw engine from the Falcon and the V8 has less than 10kw more power and the extra weight over the front wheels.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 07-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
BTW., just remember the i6 in a Fairlane is the Tickford VCT engine with 168kw, not just the regular 157kw engine from the Falcon and the V8 has less than 10kw more power and the extra weight over the front wheels.
But gosh does it sound good with a nice exhaust! There's a black one in my area I see often and I get jealous of the low rumble it has.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

, yer ,,, well,, there is that!

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 07-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
gobbly
Starter Motor

hi
i have bought myself a little indulgence
au2 or is it a nu2 fairlane ghia sportsman 5L
doesnt it feel good to own a v8 again sold the last one when fuel went to 53c/L in Qld
looks like bushbashers photo
its a oct 2001 model should it be a tickford and what would the k/ws be
gobbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
LUXO_8
windsor user

remember series 2's had the much improved front brakes over series 1(twin piston calipers etc), that in itself would sway me into searching for a series 2
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #14
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbly
hi
i have bought myself a little indulgence
au2 or is it a nu2 fairlane ghia sportsman 5L
doesnt it feel good to own a v8 again sold the last one when fuel went to 53c/L in Qld
looks like bushbashers photo
its a oct 2001 model should it be a tickford and what would the k/ws be
Technically it is an NU but Ford refers to them as an AU in public and marketing aspects, so we do as well.

Being a Sportsman V8, it would probably have the 175kW (I think?) unit which is not the 185kW LTD or Tickford-enhanced V8. Only the inline six versions had a Tickford engine (the VCT).

It sounds like a nice car, why don't you post a photo and brief summary at our Fairlanes and LTDs thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...7&goto=newpost

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).

Last edited by Dauphin; 08-04-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
champ

OK, now i am really confused. I have a 2001 AUII Sportsman Ghia fairlane with a Tickford motor. I have been reading about tickford fairlanes,etc etc, and aparently, there is also a TL50 group of fairlanes with tickford motors? or they are tickford fairlanes? I really need some clarity here.Any direction would be appreciated.
champ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
Dauphin
Irregular member

The high-power, hand-built Tickford V8 was used in the FTE (Ford Tickford Experience) range of vehicles, known as the "T-Series" cars. They consisted of the TS50, TE50 and TL50 (the L being based the long wheelbase model based on a Fairlane). There's also the Pursuit Ute.

TL50s are quite rare and the engine power grew over time (200, then 220kW I think??).

They also had a subtle bodykit consisting of a mesh grille, front lip insert, side skirts and rear skirt.

Check out www.aufalcon.com in the TL50 category for a few examples of this fine motor car.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
champ

OK. I definitely do not have one of those. Looks like mine is just a 2001 AU Fairlane Sportsman Ghia, with ghia badges on the wheels, etc etc, with the Tickford motor. (Actually, that is probably the bit that confused me). I was reading about what car number all these Tickford people had and got really excited, because upon looking under my bonnet, I found that I had car No.1 but obviously not one of these special ones. Never mind. I am now curious to find out how many of mine were actually made. Does anyone know?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
The high-power, hand-built Tickford V8 was used in the FTE (Ford Tickford Experience) range of vehicles, known as the "T-Series" cars. They consisted of the TS50, TE50 and TL50 (the L being based the long wheelbase model based on a Fairlane). There's also the Pursuit Ute.

TL50s are quite rare and the engine power grew over time (200, then 220kW I think??).

They also had a subtle bodykit consisting of a mesh grille, front lip insert, side skirts and rear skirt.

Check out www.aufalcon.com in the TL50 category for a few examples of this fine motor car.
You forgot the all important 3 T3 TL50s with 250kw! Shaynet has one.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ
OK. I definitely do not have one of those. Looks like mine is just a 2001 AU Fairlane Sportsman Ghia, with ghia badges on the wheels, etc etc, with the Tickford motor. (Actually, that is probably the bit that confused me). I was reading about what car number all these Tickford people had and got really excited, because upon looking under my bonnet, I found that I had car No.1 but obviously not one of these special ones. Never mind. I am now curious to find out how many of mine were actually made. Does anyone know?
I assume yours is the I6 then? Which means you got what every Ghia (Fairmont and Fairlane) got - the Tickford VCT motor.

There weren't too many Fairlanes made at all, which is why they are now discontinued!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
I found that I had car No.1 but obviously not one of these special ones.
pls explain
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Dauphin
Irregular member

Thanks, JC. I wasn't sure if it went up to 250kW to match the Statesman Grange at the time. Too late in the game hey.

In regards to numbers, all AU series Fairlanes were Ghias as standard.

The Sportsmans are without a doubt the most numurous "special edition" Fairlane, the others being Millennium and 75th Anniversary versions. Don't know exact numbers but Millenniums seem to be the rarer ones, followed by two-tone 75ths.

The Sportsman name itself goes back to the '80s I think.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #22
champ

I think you are right Dauphin. I had an NA Sportsman fairlane as well (1990/91 model). Good ol' "thunder"as i called him lasted me a good 15 years. Had he not died a slow painul death and had I not been pregnant and paranoid at the time, i probably would have still kept him. I got a good 380,000 kms out of that one. His picture sits framed on my kitchen wall and I look at it every day. And yes, this one is an I6. Bugger, I thought I had something special. Never mind. At least its a fairlane!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #23
champ

Sorry, Mr. Hardware, missed the pls explain. Under the bonnett, near the engine number plate it has "Passenger Vehicle Car No.1". Now I would assume that that means the first one to be built of this particular model? Forgive my ignorance, but I am guessing this is what it means.I don't know.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #24
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Hey in regards to buying a Fairlane of that age and price privately, consider this, mine cost $12,000 6 months ago from a dealer but it cost them 2 new ecu's (dont ask), a new cat back exhaust, new brakes, full service, so i would be very careful buying one privately. Get someone in the know to check it out first. Good luck and i love the Windsor V8 too.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #25
Sounder
Starter Motor

About 6 months ago I bought an old Holden Astra (1989) to use up at Olympic Dam but never did anything with it. It's been sitting in the backyard for months.

Gave it a clean up and took it to the dealer to see if he'd give me anything for it as a trade. I was thinking I'd be lucky to get $500 for it, but when he offered me $1500 the deal was done. The Astra was worth nothing to me... I was going to give it to my brother for his kids to learn in.

So I'm now the owner of a Sparkling Burgundy 1999 AU Fairlane Ghia 5.0 litre.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 27-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Nice pick up!

Old 27-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #27
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha he certainly gave you a good trade in on that POS
grats on the car
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #28
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

haha you would be cheerin for 1500! Especially when it wasn't doing anything.
Nice pickup!
AUbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #29
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

nice buy

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #30
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

A V8 as well as one of the best colours. Great buy! Keep us updated of any mods in the future.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post