Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Auto Or Manual

im tossing up after i finsih my exterior etc to either get a manual gearbox or a another auto.

AUTO

i can get a au x cop car auto with 120000kms on it for 650 fitted, and yes its awesome pull brunouts quite well, but a downside to a auto is in the future im gonna cam my car so i will need to spend another 300 dollars on a higher rmp tourqe converter

MANUAL

i can get one through my mate but will need to buy a manual kit and find a au manual ecu, and same i wanna cam my car soon as well, but having fear if i abuse the manual to much i will stuff it

please help me decide cheers

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a 120,000km btr is not awesome. If you go auto or manual, flogging it continuously will result in another point of you deciding weather you want a manual or auto. Both manuals and autos offered in the au's are crapola, I know all the manual owners will love to argue the point, but I'd say the autos are maybe just a fraction better, but better then a t5 is no sort of complement.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

god

i just wanted to no which one will be better or a cam thats all

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 26-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How would someone know thats your question from reading your first post?
What cam? If you want a manual get one, if you want an auto get one, my tip is not to pay for one with 120xxxkm's on it.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

If your rough on a T5, your only going to kill it. If your rough on the auto, it will die just as fast.
You dont HAVE to get a stall converter if you have a cam. Get a smaller cam with a lot of midrange and bottom end, and you wont need one. And factor in a lot more than $300 for a stall converter whilst your at it. And then youll need a big trans cooler.
Forget getting a second hand gearbox, if your going to fit another gearbox, just fix your properly the first time so it can handle what your going to throw at it.
Same goes for the T5, just get one, then get it built right before putting it in your car.
And Im pretty sure, but will happily be corrected, that the ECU doesnt need to be changed over if you go to a manual, the ECU from the auto can be programmed to accept the manual, etc.
Old 26-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
If your rough on a T5, your only going to kill it. If your rough on the auto, it will die just as fast.
You dont HAVE to get a stall converter if you have a cam. Get a smaller cam with a lot of midrange and bottom end, and you wont need one. And factor in a lot more than $300 for a stall converter whilst your at it. And then youll need a big trans cooler.
Forget getting a second hand gearbox, if your going to fit another gearbox, just fix your properly the first time so it can handle what your going to throw at it.
Same goes for the T5, just get one, then get it built right before putting it in your car.
And Im pretty sure, but will happily be corrected, that the ECU doesnt need to be changed over if you go to a manual, the ECU from the auto can be programmed to accept the manual, etc.
You are correct, flash tune can sort that out.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well for starters my gear box has taken nearly 3 years of my thrashing to it and is still going, its done over 300 thousand kms on clock my car, well instead of a blower and a charger was gonna invest in a cam, cause i aint fuss about the power, as long as its better then stock im happy. i have my cop ecu atm being stripped down and rebuilt and tweaked, which i will be able to run my cam off im investing in,

i could of picked up a full manual conversion for a grand other week but didnt have the money i missed out bugger, lollol my mate has a rebuilt t5 with heavy clutches and bands and he flogs the out of it and has dided, mainaly beacuse he is using a heavyduty clutch

but thanks for ur answers will be deciding very soon when time comes

Old 27-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dude, you have no idea. Stronger bands in a T5? Dying from using a Heavy Duty clutch? That is all , the T5's don't have bands for one, and it is being too harsh on the box that kills it, not your clutch.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a stall converter is gonna cost you about $600 a cooler will cost you 100-200 and then factor the prices of installation unless you can do it yourself
also.... id be a bit sus picking up the trans out of a cop car, i cant imagine them being too kind on it.. just cuz its from a cop car doesnt mean it will make yours go faster

to answer the question youve made clear.... either would suit a cam... probably manual would be better as the gearing is shorter so it revs faster meaning a bigger cam wouldnt really make the car that doughey
having said that im running a fairly big cam and i wouldnt really call the low end sluggish, all depends what you like, more people prefer the auto for reliability but the manual will arguably give you better performance
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

who said the cop car will make me faster, did i , nope i did not, trust me before they wrecked the car i took it for a spin and it ran better then myn lot more get up and go

Old 27-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

frd906 I really am getting tired of your attitude towards people that have more knowledge than yourself and are just trying to help and point you in the right direction.

Try taking what some are saying on board, they're trying to help you and are pretty spot on with what they are saying.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
......... i have my cop ecu atm being stripped down and rebuilt and tweaked, which i will be able to run my cam off im investing in,
What is a cop ECU, and how do you think it is different to a standard ECU (it's not)? What do you mean the ECU is being stripped down and rebuilt and tweaked? The only way to tweak an ECU is through flash tune or piggy back chip, or bypass with a replacement ECU (motec etc). Who is doing this "work" for you, and how much are they charging?

As for gearbox - I'd go with the 120k auto for $650 fitted, just make sure it's serviced and refilled prior to putting it in the car; if it shows too much wear, ie metal chips and bits in the pan, then steer clear of it, otherwise, it should be fine.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
who said the cop car will make me faster, did i , nope i did not, trust me before they wrecked the car i took it for a spin and it ran better then myn lot more get up and go

well if the parts arent going to make you go faster why are you going to use them.... are you just arguing for the fun of it?? cuz nothing you say makes sense
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 27-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need to pick up your english, it's crap and you make no sense. You also seem to be a bit of a smart *** and think your dead right when people with a lot more knowledge than you are giving advice, your just rude in general. Why ask for anyone opinion when you just shoot them down?

go back to preschool mate

Last edited by GS608; 27-07-2009 at 05:43 PM.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok a mate of mine has a friend down in melbourne which rebuilds the ecus and reprograms them, he also checks the ecu and make sure it is functionaly properly. so its doing its job, that way when i get it back it is fresh and the old genric tune is gone and its ready to use again with a new genric tune.

and yes i will go with the 120k auto, cheaper then a manual, anyways by 300k plus gearbox is still going strong after 3 years of giving it a floggin,

Old 27-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #16
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you trying to say your mate is a tuner? and what are you talking about, he checks generic tunes and gives them new generic tunes??? are you trying to say the factory tune expires or goes out of date or something cuz that makes no sense
you need to stop posting stupid things, its ok to ask questions if you know nothing but it seems like youre asking questions and also giving answers that make no sense at all

and also... why the hell do you want another auto if your auto is doing so well?? if thats the case youre changing it for no reason... oh let me guess, the cop one goes better? it mustve been painted red or something
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 27-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
are you trying to say your mate is a tuner? and what are you talking about, he checks generic tunes and gives them new generic tunes??? are you trying to say the factory tune expires or goes out of date or something cuz that makes no sense
you need to stop posting stupid things, its ok to ask questions if you know nothing but it seems like youre asking questions and also giving answers that make no sense at all

and also... why the hell do you want another auto if your auto is doing so well?? if thats the case youre changing it for no reason... oh let me guess, the cop one goes better? it mustve been painted red or something
LOL. Damn good question!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mates mate is a tuner alright, just like a normal tuner u go to alright,

my auto i have been told is getting worn out and have been told im up for a new auto very very soon, so im going to get auto out of the car becuase it drives alot better the mine, AND NO I DNT WANT IT FOR THE COP REASON, also a auto rebuild starts from 650 all they way to 2 grand, and yes i have checked prices, and my auto bogs down in 2nd gear also

and i will be getting the 345 lsd out of the car as well, same ratio as my single spinner

and stop putting me down or i will just asked for the posts to be deleted or i just simply ignore them cheers

Old 27-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #19
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well youve been bragging about abusing your auto and how well it runs in spite of all the abuse.. now you say its going to die, if you treat your transmissions like that its gonna happen every time
correct me if im wrong but i dont think they made single spinners with 3.45 diff ratios, i think theyre 3.23 but if youre replacing the diff it doesnt really matter does it. you might want to think about changing the diff gears before you put the new diff onto your car, that will make it go much harder than it does now
mate im not here to put you down you are just saying a lot of silly things and you are contradicting yourself a lot
it also sounds like youre wasting your money on a few things so listen to peoples advice and research things properly
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 27-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lollol, nah they made lsds as well, i seen the tag,

Old 27-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #21
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but i will get a pic of the tag to be sure though, my plans are to run the lsd for a while till i do my cam install then i will consider changing the ratio, i can get a regrind cam for 150 bucks

Old 27-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #22
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...i know they made lsds, i cant understand what youre tying to tell me, i give up!
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 27-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #23
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, i will be getting the lsd out of the cop car to go into my car, it will have a stock ratio untill i start prefromance upgrades then i will change the ratio of the lsd

Old 27-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #24
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

youre better off changing it before it goes in, its a lot of work to take it off, you need to take the axles out and everything, youre better off picking up a 2nd hand set of 3.9s or something for a couple of hundred and doing it now to save time and money
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 27-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ok i will leave this thread open but if it resorts to name calling/put downs ill close it.

frd906- id suggest you take note of what i sent via PM re punctuation and spelling.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #26
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh still havent decdied bout the diff, but i will keep mine for now, till i start the prefromance side of things,

theres a lot of negatives and positives for a manual or auto box, but i think i will let it play out for a while, if i come a cross a good conversion kit for a manual i will probaly consider buying it, i unfournatly missed out on a full conversion kit for a grand, was out of a au s1, came with the manual ecu as well,

but didnt have the funds, but i will keep searching the tradeing post in the future to see if one comes up or through my local wreckers cheers,

last manual conversion kit they sold was out of a au xr8 and sold it for 3 and a half grand, lol what a joke

Last edited by frd906; 27-07-2009 at 09:39 PM.