Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Re: A case of the ferris wheel and the plane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
That is well within the splay and if he was in trouble and trying to control the aircraft in a go around while it was not playing nicely then hitting that wheel may not be totally culpable.

An aircraft is not a car with wings. You cannot just hit the brakes and pull over on a cloud to take a breather and change your undies if things are not going well. There are 3 dimensions and external forces such as wind and turbulence.

Again, lets see what the crash comics say before forming the lynch mob

Amen to that Tony.
Its been a while since I played in amongst the ultra light enthusiasts, but I do recall how much of a "special" breed they are.
Jabiru's still have a special place in my heart, my hatred of them was so intense. I used to call them the "Camrys" of the sky; slowing everyone down and forcing us all to take special consideration for their limited performance. By that, I mean a Trauma-hawk or even a 152 would have to slow down for a Jabiru.

We once had a near miss in Camden between an EMB-110P I was doing command turbine time in and a Jabiru; as there was no ATC I called an all stations, waited for traffic to land, backtracked to the run off and commenced roll on 24 for a joyflight down victor one with 7 pax, and around 1000 pounds of fuel. Anyway, as we were limited to weight and fuel it was max power, full brakes on scenario. As we rotated and pulled the gear, this idiot in a Jabiru took off from the grass 28 and passed just under us. As we were extra light on fuel and pax being a twin turboprop we were luckily climbing around 3000 feet per minute. As we were in the climb we couldn't see much below us, but this fool passed around 50 to 100 feet below us.
In the end, it was handed over to the ATSB and this guy lost his licence.
This is the mindset of some of the ultra light guys. He was behind my left window view, but we were in front view of him. He should have aborted his takeoff and he'd still have a licence.

The point, I find it easy to see how someone in an ultra light hit a ferris wheel.

Quote: