Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-02-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Default Moving away from Big Pond

Oh well, it's done.

Now Big Pond are shaping at the download limit automatically, some are moving to another ISP.

Let's make one thing clear though. I'm not moving away because I think it is unfair, or that I can't fit inside the 10Gb, I have only used 7.5Gb this month.

The reason I signed with Big Pond is a long drawnout story, mostly a case of no other choice at the time. The reason I'm churning is simple.....10Gb for $99.95.

I have just signed with Schaelec Internet (in the Broadband Choice listing), on their 512/512 35Gb (yes, download slower but it suits me) static IP plan for the same price, and they are fully aware that I run an internet radio station.

The reason they were chosen:

1. I sent them an email full of questions and within an hour I had a response. The guy then spent some time discussing my query with me in an email conversation that went on for a couple of hours.

2. I rang them and got a recording asking to leave a message, as all staff were on calls, but within an hour they returned my call.

3. The plan

4. The payment options. He notified me of three options, via email. When I got to the online form only two appeared. He explained over the phone that the new website was about to come online and he would change the payment option on my application himself.

5. Through all of this his manner was friendly and helpful, like he actually wanted to deal with me.

6. The ISP is also run in conjunction with a computer business, which means these guys actually should have a clue, unlike drones reading a procedural script at some other ISPs.

Now, I can't fault the quality of service with bigpond, it simply comes down to what I get for my dollar.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 01:48 AM   #2
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can fault Bigpond's service. Since I moved house at the end of November, I had 2 weeks of heavily interrupted or no connection. Had 4 techs out and none could put a finger on the problem. The last one said it could be the modem, but after another 3 days the problem corrected itself all on it's own. I have little confidence in the Bigpond service quality in the area I'm in, so I switched to aaNet earlier this month and it's been all good. Started with the 8GB @512 connection, but am about to upgrade to the 1500SP plan - same downloads but faster for $3/month more ($45/month)..... plus a $145 charge which is the one big negative. But it's a limited offer, and worth it. It's effectively up to a 16GB connection, as EITHER uploads or downloads are counted, not both - like Telstra does. Whichever is higher is used to calculate usage. Many don't charge for uploads at all I know, but I think I can easily live with aaNet's system after being with Telstra.

ATM, ADSL is probably the better bet, especially if you can get connected to a DSLAM like iinet uses for their new plans. The ADSL market is highly competitive with the number of providers and the fat, lazy cable duopoly of Optus/Telstra just sit back and wonder why their customers are leaving.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Perhaps I was not clear enough there. I was referring to the actual ADSL linespeed and online connection itself, not the 'customer support' service. On that note it's a joke.

With the odd exception, of course, the telephone support staff are uninterested, and some of thier techs are condescending and rude. I'm in I.T. support myself, and I told them for 3 months that one of my customers had a faulty modem, but was dismissed with a 'Who do you think you are?" type of attitude. Naturally, it turned out I was proven correct, but.......
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
InitialD
Low and Loud

LOL as im a computer tech aswell, Telstra treat me like im a stooge aswell.
Ive had numerous times where ive rang them saying its them who are having the problems, they give me some additude like i have no idea, and when its them they say they will call me back, but never do. Amamzingly the problem is also fixed by that time

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Customer service is a big thing for me... when i got my new phone i needed a new sim card (old one fell into the lake, long story) so i decided to go to the optus shop to pick up a pre paid pack...i asked the girl there for one, as she looked like she was standing there with nothing to do. she responded so rudely, with her tone of voice..."i'm with a customer"...yeah, right. there was no one there. so anyways i went to the vodafone shop and haven't used optus since.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post