Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Comprehensive Insuance - Who do you use?

Well people my time is nearly here to renew my car insurance and, although I am with the RAA, they have a real problem with the modifications done to my vehicle. So therefore I am on the hunt for a new insurer.
Question is, "who do you use for your insurance, and is happy to insure your vehicle with all it's modifications?"

I have tried AAMI, Allianz with no luck so far.
Any input would be fantastic.
Cheers, Duane. (PS. the forum search facility resulted in no answers)

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Budget Direct.
Old 20-10-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with AAMI....got lowered King Springs and 17" alloys on the Fiesta, no problems at all, phoned them up, all fine, no premium increase, nothing.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 04:27 AM   #4
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

My daughter is with AAMI , 20 y/old , (no fines/accidents etc) & they covered her .

Car = 1994 KJ Laser , Alloys & Spoilers ..... No Problems

I'm with FMG (Farmers Mutual) through a broker , No mods , but very cheap . When my wife hit a roo , we rang them , told us to take it to the local repairer & it was back within a week .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

NRMA - They are best price i can get for our age, and cover mods, not that there is many

Ute is stock
Sedan has extractors, sports twin system, CAI , in dash dvd player and subs
Old 21-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
I'm with AAMI....got lowered King Springs and 17" alloys on the Fiesta, no problems at all, phoned them up, all fine, no premium increase, nothing.
If you're over 30 with AAMI, they say you can have as many legal mods as you want. I suppose their thoughts are that 30+ drivers with modded cars aren't a big problem and it's not worth alienating this revenue source.

That said, I still decided to switch to an insurer with choice of repairer. A co-worker of mine also works as an apprentice panel beater. He said AAMI can be a bit dodgy. There was an example where the assessor told them to use 2nd hand parts, despite the car to be repaired being near new and used parts difficult to find, he still insisted they would only allow costs for 2nd hand parts - not something you'd want to happen to your pride and joy.. My boss also mentioned there are a few repairers in Heidelberg I think that put "no AAMI quotes" on their signs.

I just moved to Shannons, which was about $40 cheaper than AAMI, accepted my car with an aftermarket cat back exhaust and gave me choice of repairer. I ticked "no" to mods on the Allianz online quote (a Cat back exhaust alone isn't really going to increase engine performance by any noticeable margin - sounds better though) and their quote was over $250 cheaper if you buy insurance online. I had my case clarified and had to rule them out as a result.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #7
punkin
having time of her life!

we've got shannons, none of the others were prepared to insure the mods done on the mazda (turbo) and were wary of both the ranchero and the imported delica. I love dealing with shannons, when I rang up to get the quote & then organise the insurance, they loved the fact that my mod wasn't just "lowering & mags", I even had to email in a copy of my last 2 dyno run sheets & photos for them so they could all have a look!

The cost for the 4 vehicles it is cheaper than the combined cost for the mazda & F6 were with our previous insurer, and the excesses are way less ($500 for the F6 compared to $1000 - with all drivers being ratings 1).

1963 Chev Impala | Black | 2 door : <- Angel
Mazda 2 | Turbo (custom) | Spicy Orange <- punkin
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shannons.
All mods on the car covered, where other insurers weren't at all interested.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Thumbs up for Shannons again.Great to deal with....
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
red_hotxr6
Banned

I am with suncorp, my husband is with shannons.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
If you're over 30 with AAMI, they say you can have as many legal mods as you want. I suppose their thoughts are that 30+ drivers with modded cars aren't a big problem and it's not worth alienating this revenue source.

That said, I still decided to switch to an insurer with choice of repairer. A co-worker of mine also works as an apprentice panel beater. He said AAMI can be a bit dodgy. There was an example where the assessor told them to use 2nd hand parts, despite the car to be repaired being near new and used parts difficult to find, he still insisted they would only allow costs for 2nd hand parts - not something you'd want to happen to your pride and joy.. My boss also mentioned there are a few repairers in Heidelberg I think that put "no AAMI quotes" on their signs.
No doubt age and proven track record has a lot to do with it......I'm 40, rating 1 for life, never made a claim (that I was at fault for), fully comp with AAMI costs me $504 per year.

As for AAMI using second hand parts, Iv'e heard completely the opposite......my Brother-in-Law is a Motor Mechanic and he says that AAMI are the fussiest of all the insurers, he reckons they demand only brand new parts be installed, last time I was down at his workshop he had a Proton Satria sitting over in the corner out of the way, apparantly the gearbox was damaged when the owner ran over a tree branch on the road, the car had been sitting there in his workshop for 6 weeks waiting for a new gearbox to come from Malaysia, he reckons they sourced a recon gearbox but AAMI wouldn't have a bar of it, they demanded that only the new gearbox goes in, no matter how long it takes to arrive.

I have also only just got the missus Lancer back from the panelbeaters after she had a Landcruiser run up the back of her after the she stopped at a pedestrian crossing......stupid woman in the Landcruiser wasn't watching what she was doing at all........anyway the repairs to the Lancer are superb, all new parts, come back looking just like new, best smash repair job I think Iv'e ever seen.......very happy with AAMI.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

NRMA ... they have been great over the past few years ... about 5 years ago though .... you mention "modification" and they laughed at you. Nowadays ... They say as long as it is within RTA specs it's fine with them.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #13
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks people, some great insurers for me to start with. AAMI online refused my mods on the spot, but I will phone shannons for a quote and see how I go.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

Site sponsor!!!

Shannons
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with Just Cars. They said they would insure all mods so long as they are legal and declared on the policy.

I'm 19, Rating 4 and have a 2003 WRX insured for $27000.

Modifications are STi rims ($3840) and non-standard music system ($1500).

Premium is $3355 per year. Hopefully it will decrease a bit next year because I will be off my Ps as of next month.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 11:12 PM   #16
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would shannon actually accept me considering I am 21? They seem pretty strict on the whole over 25 policy. I have also replaced my last muffler with piping, so i don't if you can technically consider it as a sports exhaust. What you guys think?

Is there anyone here on the forum, a representative for shannons I would be able to ask? If there is, can someone please point me in there direction.

thank you
Bill
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #17
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
No doubt age and proven track record has a lot to do with it......I'm 40, rating 1 for life, never made a claim (that I was at fault for), fully comp with AAMI costs me $504 per year.

As for AAMI using second hand parts, Iv'e heard completely the opposite......my Brother-in-Law is a Motor Mechanic and he says that AAMI are the fussiest of all the insurers, he reckons they demand only brand new parts be installed, last time I was down at his workshop he had a Proton Satria sitting over in the corner out of the way, apparantly the gearbox was damaged when the owner ran over a tree branch on the road, the car had been sitting there in his workshop for 6 weeks waiting for a new gearbox to come from Malaysia, he reckons they sourced a recon gearbox but AAMI wouldn't have a bar of it, they demanded that only the new gearbox goes in, no matter how long it takes to arrive.

I have also only just got the missus Lancer back from the panelbeaters after she had a Landcruiser run up the back of her after the she stopped at a pedestrian crossing......stupid woman in the Landcruiser wasn't watching what she was doing at all........anyway the repairs to the Lancer are superb, all new parts, come back looking just like new, best smash repair job I think Iv'e ever seen.......very happy with AAMI.
AMMI are the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. They have left me hanging with a $1600 bill to fix my car, which I have been saving to fix for the last year and a bit. I have been hoping someone will hit me in the same place to save me the hastle, as Ihave been killing myself to get the money together, just because some old retard who can't drive and knew people within, was able to stuff me over. The claim was made under my dad's name since he was driving at the time. But in 38years of drivier, never has he recieved any fine, or caused a car accident. 38 years as a loyal customer, and this is the thanks they gave my dad.
Old 22-10-2006, 02:14 AM   #18
eb2flyz
bettering 13.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont
Would shannon actually accept me considering I am 21? They seem pretty strict on the whole over 25 policy. I have also replaced my last muffler with piping, so i don't if you can technically consider it as a sports exhaust. What you guys think?

Is there anyone here on the forum, a representative for shannons I would be able to ask? If there is, can someone please point me in there direction.

thank you
Bill
i'm with shannons also and they gave me deal than any other insurer. EBIIXR8 highly modified (well they didn't want to know the mods as it was to many, but they did have a look at my car ) insured it for 20k ( everyone else wasn't going to go any higher than market value 6.5k) 24,no insurance history, but because i'm a commercial driver with a reasonably clean driving record, and no at fault accidents they gave me a no claim of 60%.

first year i was paying ~$100 p/m now only paying about $75p/m.
good deal if you ask me

FPV/Tickford Club of W.A

Performance is Electronic

BPT Motorsport
eb2flyz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #19
F6Tornado

AAMI are shocking, it took them 6 goes to respray the back of the mazda and it still isn't the correct colour but we've given up trying to get it fixed and have moved on to shannons & will get the whole mazda resprayed at our own expense shortly
Old 22-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #20
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I changed from AAMI when I found out that for my car to be repaired they insisted on second hand parts... After a really nasty phone call to them my car did not get second hand parts.. Quite frankly I know it is harder to find new parts now for a car that is over 10 years old but if they want to do that rubbish then I should not be paying the amount I was (plus the new parts should be sourced first and if none to be found then second hand used)..

Changed to RACQ and been really happy with them plus have saved money
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Shannons. No question.
Old 22-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #22
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I changed from AAMI when I found out that for my car to be repaired they insisted on second hand parts... After a really nasty phone call to them my car did not get second hand parts.. Quite frankly I know it is harder to find new parts now for a car that is over 10 years old but if they want to do that rubbish then I should not be paying the amount I was (plus the new parts should be sourced first and if none to be found then second hand used)..

Changed to RACQ and been really happy with them plus have saved money

RACQ Product disclosure statement:

PARTS AND REPAIRS
When we assess the damage to your vehicle, replacement parts are authorised having
regard for the age and condition of your vehicle. In some cases we may use second
hand or exchange parts. In the case of mechanical parts, only new parts are used
unless they are unavailable or you instruct us otherwise. If a part is not available in
Australia and has to be purchased overseas, we pay for the part and cost of surface
freight only.

NRMA Product discloure statement;
if we authorise repairs with your chosen
repairer, we will
 choose the most suitable repair
method for the type of damage to
your vehicle
 repair your vehicle using
• new parts, or
• parts consistent with the age and
condition of your vehicle
 guarantee the workmanship on
repairs for the life of your vehicle

AAMI Product Disclosure statement

The quality of the workmanship and the materials authorised by AAMI in the repair of your car will be guaranteed for the life of the car. If you are concerned about the quality of the repair of your car, you must call us on 13 22 44 and you must make your car available to us. We will inspect the repair and arrange any necessary rectification work. You must not authorise rectification work without our written authority.

Where replacement parts are required for the repair of your car ...

... and your car is within its manufacturer's standard new car warranty period

New OEM (original equipment manufacture) parts will be used except for the replacement of windscreens and window glass for which Australian manufactured, Australian Design Rule compliant parts may be used.

... and your car is outside its manufacturer's standard new car warranty period:

New and/or reconditioned OEM (original equipment manufacture) parts will be used except for the replacement of windscreens and window glass for which Australian manufactured, Australian Design Rule compliant parts may be used.

Parts produced by OEM suppliers may be used in the repair of components such as radiators and air condensers.

Suncorp Product Discloure statement:
If we accept your claim and decide your vehicle can be repaired:
1. we will arrange the repairs with a repairer acceptable to us. If possible, we will offer you a choice of our
Recommended Repairers. If we consider it is not reasonably possible to offer a choice, we will nominate a
specific repairer or
2. you can choose another repairer but we might not authorise your repairs (in which case we would settle
your claim as set out below and our Lifetime guarantee on repairs (see below) will not apply).
If we authorise repairs we will:
• repair your vehicle to its condition immediately before the event
• use only manufacturer’s approved parts if your vehicle is under warranty (but not an extended warranty)
• use new parts or parts which are consistent with the age or condition of your vehicle
• guarantee the quality of materials and workmanship for the life of the vehicle (see Lifetime guarantee below)
If we do not authorise repairs, we will pay the amount we assess to be reasonable.We will decide this by
considering:
• your repairer’s quote with any adjustment or reduction recommended by an experienced motor vehicle
assessor appointed by us or
• a quote from a repairer chosen by us.
In all cases we will:
• only pay the market value of damaged parts we consider to be obsolete
• replace damaged windscreen or window glass with glass that meets original standards and Australian Design
Rules but which might be different from the original glass.
We are not responsible for costs which occur because of delays in delivery of parts. If a part is not available
in Australia, we will pay the cost of surface freight from the nearest reasonable source of supply.
You are responsible for the cost of any air-conditioning refit, re-gas or modification required by law.
You might have to contribute to the cost of repairing tyres, engines, accessories, paintwork, bodywork, radiators,
batteries, interior trims or caravan annexes affected by wear and tear or rust and corrosion.We will determine
how much you pay depending on how worn these items were when the damage happened.

Shannons Product Disclosure statement:
Partial loss
If we agree to pay your claim for partial loss or damage we may
choose to:
• repair your vehicle, or any part of it; or
• replace any part of your vehicle; or
• pay you the costs of repairing or replacing your vehicle,
or any part of it.
Should we decide to repair your vehicle or replace any part of it, the
choice of repairer is yours. We reserve the right to determine the
method of repair that your repairer shall use. We may decide to
replace damaged parts with new parts or used parts of a similar
condition to those being replaced.

And as far as I can see AAMI is the only one that does in fact gurantee OEM parts, no matter age.
I was also suprised when I did this serach a phrase in Suncorps PDS

"You are responsible for the cost of any air-conditioning refit, re-gas or modification required by law."

They make you pay for a re-gas and or air con refit????????
Sucks to be with Suncorp, A regas is and air con parts are usual parts required in a repair of the front end, from ones I've seen average of $400.
Old 22-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #23
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
AMMI are the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. They have left me hanging with a $1600 bill to fix my car, which I have been saving to fix for the last year and a bit. I have been hoping someone will hit me in the same place to save me the hastle, as Ihave been killing myself to get the money together, just because some old retard who can't drive and knew people within, was able to stuff me over. The claim was made under my dad's name since he was driving at the time. But in 38years of drivier, never has he recieved any fine, or caused a car accident. 38 years as a loyal customer, and this is the thanks they gave my dad.

Did you ever take the matter to the internal disupte service or even further to the insurance obudsman as i suggested you do?
And if so what was the outcome?
Old 22-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #24
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Did you ever take the matter to the internal disupte service or even further to the insurance obudsman as i suggested you do?
And if so what was the outcome?
Yeah we did, and they didn't do much either. It got too the point where it was about to go to court. We went to the lawyer we initially asked for advice. When we saw their fee, and the chance we would lose would send it through the roof. My dad also being 65 and ready to retire, just couldn't push any further. He just paid up, as it got so stressful on him, that 2 nights in hospital weren't worth it. After going to hospital and all, i pushed him to just pay it and tell them where to go.

I but i really want to just **** off the old hag who hit me, and my only plan I have at the moment is to write her a letter, letting her know what has happened, and how she has left a bloody uni student short changed. The only thing I am hoping for is to make her feel soooo small and insignificant.

This has become a thing my dad doesn't want know about, as it completely enrages him.
Old 22-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #25
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah we did, and they didn't do much either. It got too the point where it was about to go to court. We went to the lawyer we initially asked for advice. When we saw their fee, and the chance we would lose would send it through the roof. My dad also being 65 and ready to retire, just couldn't push any further. He just paid up, as it got so stressful on him, that 2 nights in hospital weren't worth it. After going to hospital and all, i pushed him to just pay it and tell them where to go.

I but i really want to just **** off the old hag who hit me, and my only plan I have at the moment is to write her a letter, letting her know what has happened, and how she has left a bloody uni student short changed. The only thing I am hoping for is to make her feel soooo small and insignificant.

This has become a thing my dad doesn't want know about, as it completely enrages him.
I really don't mean to be rude but if it went to the insurance obudsman and it went in favor of the insurer (because usually it does not if it gets to that stage) They really are impartial as a referee, i can only imagine that perhaps the insurer is correct in its determination. The fact he was a customer for such a long time does not give any concession to liability.
Old 22-10-2006, 05:07 PM   #26
Kryton

ddarby, are you a paid member of a Union by any chance?
if you are then have a look at what your Union can offer you.
try www.unionshopper.com.au or go through your Unions webpage.
you will get it cheaper than anywhere else.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #27
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I really don't mean to be rude but if it went to the insurance obudsman and it went in favor of the insurer (because usually it does not if it gets to that stage) They really are impartial as a referee, i can only imagine that perhaps the insurer is correct in its determination. The fact he was a customer for such a long time does not give any concession to liability.
The ombudsmen didn't want to get involved for their reasoning being, that it is a hard situation to follow, and that there never was any police report or anything made, and that it was our word against the other party. We were pretty much given a cold shoulder from the like that. I told straight off, if I am in the worng, then thats it, I will pay straight up.

Thats what annoyed us about them, that we were never given a clear cut answer. Now believe what you want Yaw. I tried and got no where.
Old 22-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #28
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, my stupid mistake. If nay mod sees this, please delete.
Old 22-10-2006, 06:10 PM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Another vote for Shannons!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post