Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #61
munkky
turbo mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Some people need to get a life. if you can't understand someones psotings, either ask them what they mean or forget about it.

Where do you draw the line? If they get under 5 out of 10, they're booted off the forum or not allowed to join?

Seriously, not everyone is word perfect. Not everyone went right through school. Or even went to grade 10. Some of the smartest car people I know couldn't spell their name to save their lives, but throw a spanner, welder or spray gun in their hand and they'll fix the problem or create a trophy winner.

Personally I see this thread as a waste of time and effort.
X2 im sorry if i can't spell things right some times.
what i lack in spelling i gain doing im not a talker im a do er

2008 FG G6E TURBO
AND YES IT HAS A LSD
ORSM F.C.
Old 30-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #62
Rob-bfGTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkky
lol
just look at the smilies that is on the side mate your not going to win
You just reminded me of a couple of other common uses of poor grammar -

Should be "just look at the smilies that ARE on the side mate, YOU'RE not going to win."

"ARE" for plural ie. smilies and "YOU'RE" for abbreviation of "YOU ARE"
Old 30-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #63
Mad Maxine

I don't have any issues with rather off spelling or diction or grammar or even punctuation.

What does grind my gears are the people who are obnoxious twunts. They can be good spellers or bad spellers, too, by the way.

It's the positive actions and the interactions of the people who post here from all backgrounds and from honest perspectives that keeps me coming back, not whether they can spell 'carburettor'.

I know sometimes some folks are hard to understand, but please just bear with them. Being elitist here just makes the forum look like a snobbish place to be, and everyone with something to contribute should be able to post without being slammed, or having their posts wiped.

My .02 of course.

1977 XC GS Coupe
Old 30-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #64
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
50/50..On that basis, I will claim victory and become a taxi driver.
Steve :-)
The great thing about that test is it also measures attention span! I got to 17/50 before the repetition got me
Old 30-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #65
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
*snip* Agreed, it takes a special kind of dumb to type like that all the time, it must be banned, asap *snip*
Some people type like "that" to mask their errors. Either way they fall foul of this thread.

In addition to acknowledging the likes of learning disabilities and dyslexia, relative to this thread, I'm very disappointed to read members being referred to as dumb and morons (a different post).

I'd sooner read a mispelt post than a post belittling others.

But for the grace of ....
Old 30-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #66
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

The two methods I use to assist people are:

- lead by example
- inform them when they make a mistake

Those who choose not to pay attention or accept constructive criticism are either ignorant or self-righteous.
Old 30-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #67
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Ive encountered many a person incapable of filling out an application form, let alone, string together a legible sentence. I blame this on parents, children should have the basics down before starting school. However, stupid says, stupid does. And there goes another illiterate generation.
Old 30-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #68
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more like?
Old 30-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #69
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok just my 2cs worth.
i` like to think that i was taught reasonable english,punctuation and grammer in school
but occasionely i mess up .
a few things.
SMS style talk is dumb and lazy,should be frowned upon
Not everyone is real good at spelling
Each to there own . if ya cant spell real flash but make the effort to contribute to this
forum, well kudos !
looks like a few people are not getting a good grip on the `real world`
I make an effort to type stuff properly ( it doesn`t always work out ok though )
End of day ?
Old 30-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #70
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
WTF?!?!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 30-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #71
protd
TUFF FORDS

What a load of toss, i have never read such rubbish before in my life, just because someone can't spell you want to deny them access from a forum, My spelling and grammer is poor, i left school when i was 15, and was told by people like you I would go no where, well 20 years later i work for myself as a builder, have had 6 or so apprentices and a number of employes working for me at various times.. yet these very people that told me i would go no where are still doing their same pathetic job, working for the same pathetic education system that pushed the poor learners to the side, and tells them they are useless.

People like you should be banned for trying to make yourselves feel better by belittling people who genuinly struggle..

get over yourself...
Old 30-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #72
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
Ive encountered many a person incapable of filling out an application form, let alone, string together a legible sentence. I blame this on parents, children should have the basics down before starting school. However, stupid says, stupid does. And there goes another illiterate generation.
not my fault you work at Centrelink..... get off your *** and find another job then......
Old 30-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #73
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'd settle for a ban for the day for anyone who uses the word 'loose' incorrectly... and a week for anyone who uses 'alot'.
Old 30-11-2010, 11:08 PM   #74
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
What a load of toss, i have never read such rubbish before in my life, just because someone can't spell you want to deny them access from a forum, My spelling and grammer is poor, i left school when i was 15, and was told by people like you I would go no where, well 20 years later i work for myself as a builder, have had 6 or so apprentices and a number of employes working for me at various times.. yet these very people that told me i would go no where are still doing their same pathetic job, working for the same pathetic education system that pushed the poor learners to the side, and tells them they are useless.

People like you should be banned for trying to make yourselves feel better by belittling people who genuinly struggle..

get over yourself...
A self-righteous candidate.
Old 30-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #75
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
P.S, I got 48, so I'm not as bad at spelling as I thought I was lol!
It wasn't a spelling test
Old 30-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #76
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

There is a very big difference between those that just stuff up some words .... I do it often ..... and those who are just too bone lazy and use SMS. There have been a few warnings issued in extreme cases as it really does my head in!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 30-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #77
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
There is a very big difference between those that just stuff up some words .... I do it often ..... and those who are just too bone lazy and use SMS. There have been a few warnings issued in extreme cases as it really does my head in!
hahahaha wat u talkin bout bro, nt hard 2 read.

and my gramma is fine, she's in a nursring home but she doin ok
Old 30-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #78
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
God! is that still doing the rounds....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 01-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #79
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Got 50/50. It wasn't difficult at all...

My cousin's Facebook page does my head in, more than posts on here ever have. ("So board, Abdz is a mad gronk!")

From memory, there are two members here who's posts irritated me constantly. They are now on my ignore list.
Problem solved!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 01-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #80
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Well everyones entitled to voice their view I guess... Far as I'm concerned they MUST only spell two words correctly - Ford and Blue.

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
Old 01-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #81
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
God! is that still doing the rounds....
LOL yep! I posted that because that is how I read some of the posts here. They make little to no sense but a little punctuation and thought would fix that.
I have no problem with a little bit of sms speak or some mistakes here and there, but sometimes things are said on here which just do my head in. If English is your first language then you should be able to get your point across to a different variety of people without them having to read the sentence more than once, but so many times here this doesn't happen.

Having said that I think that it would be difficult to implement a system which combats this, and it's just something which we have to deal with.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:43 AM   #82
WMD351
Size it up

For me personally, I couldn't give a rats tossbag if you choose to communicate via the medium of pictographs scrawled on a cave wall with your own dung!
IMO it's the content of the message and not the fancy bells and whistles wrapping that it comes in.
When did petrol heads become such a hoity toity lot?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #83
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

comment removed
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 01-12-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #84
tolzero

and this coming from the OP "I don't even give a damn if people miss out a letter or misspell a word, however after observing a number threads on a variety of forums, I propose a simple grammar test before users can sign up."
Has no one noticed he missed out using the word "of"....
I call for an immediate ban.
But back on topic, lets rid this forum of the SMS speak.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #85
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

haha thank you tolzero, you were the first to notice I stand corrected!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #86
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6

Interesting that I knew an engineer that worked making weapons for the defence force (electronics boards for the guidance systems) yet was absolutely horrible with his spelling.

You must be a genius!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #87
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Interesting that I knew an engineer that worked making weapons for the defence force (electronics boards for the guidance systems) yet was absolutely horrible with his spelling.

You must be a genius!
OI!!! I resemble that
Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 AM   #88
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
I don't mind internet speak, I grew up with it, and grew out of it just as fast.

I don't even give a damn if people miss out a letter or misspell a word, however after observing a number threads on a variety of forums, I propose a simple grammar test before users can sign up.

Example: http://www.anglolang.co.uk/cgi-bin/w...gi_quiz_form=1

While perhaps the solution would be to simply limit where users could post, rather than deny them the ability to view and contribute to the forums all together, it would mean a far more user-friendly experience overall... until someone gets drunk and starts posting

Some people can't seem to string a basic sentence together, and it's quite worrying, especially considering even at a year 10 level of education most should be able to write a letter with even rudimentary grammar and punctuation.

Call me a snob, say I'm discriminating if you wish, but I'm sick to death of having to spend 5 minutes deciphering what on earth the post is about.
I admit to complaining about a couple of posts but as evidenced by many comments being human we can read most anything , sms speak is aannoying but live ith it and don't for a moment think spelling has anything to do with ability or contribution or even smarts .Some of the smartest people ever were dyslexic or otherwise unable to use ""proper"" grammar and spelling , yet they made major contributions in their fields as is evident across the board so lets take a breath and move forward into yet another group of platitudes and fat fingered mistakes
If you can't read it move on and try elsewhere , K?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #89
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
OI!!! I resemble that
lol, the point I was trying to make that some people are good at spelling and grammar and some are not. Doesn't mean all that much about their intelligence. Funny enough I just remembered of a mate from high school, really good at spelling but thick as a brick.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #90
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

I do love how people quote my original post, then make comments about spelling.

To quote myself "I don't even give a damn if people miss out a letter or misspell a word"

Yes it is a controversial idea, and if some of you read my other posts you'd see that I don't actually believe it would work, I wanted to see what people thought of the idea, not have them tell me I'm a racist elitist bigot who picks on the disabled
Closed Thread