Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #31
karj
XY Falcon

Default Re: Rolf has been found guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Just a point of information as to the catholic priests allegedly being the worst offenders in the world - it couldn't be further from the truth.

Of all vocations priests rank amongst the lowest percentage in the world of sexual offenders - with less than 1 percent being offenders.

Amongst the highest percentile of offenders are judges, police, and the worst are the boy-scouts.
Further, you're 8 times more likely to be offended against as a child by a relative than you are by a priest; a far cry from the images perpetrated by the media. If journalists weren't scared they'd blow the lid off the religion of peace - and the endemic of underage marriages from men to pre-teenagers.

If you haven't been able to figure out why the catholic church has the royal commission into it (in big bold type) and other religions (in small font) then I'll lay it out for you:
John McTiernan advocated the royal commission based on the fact that if he makes Catholicism look bad, then enough stupid people will think lots of Catholics are inherently bad. Why would he do this? Well, his boss the former PM Gillard, was going into an election against a practicing Catholic who was once going to be a priest no less. Coincidence?
Sorry, but the whole thing was politicized from the beginning.
I'm not defending Catholic priests, but the off the cuff remarks of a smear campaign started by a political animal fighting for survival by defamation of a large group of people has really gone on too long.
By all means expose the predators and lock them up, but don't fall for a political campaign started by a hack trying every dirty trick in the book to smear the opponent.
The Royal Commission isn't about paedophile priests; it's about institutional responses to child sexual abuses.

I also disagree that this RC was politically motivated, my recollection is that our pollies (both NSW state Liberal & Federal Labor) resisted calls for the RC until the very last moment when it just became too big to ignore and people across Australia were howling for some sort of action.

FWIW, despite being an athiest, I'm not at all antagonistic towards people of religion. I was educated at a Catholic school and I adored the parish priest attached to the school. A kinder and more genuine person you would never meet. However, I am highly critical of the Catholic Church and other organisations for the way they have managed (and continue to manage) cases of child sexual abuse.
6 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #32
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat View Post
I was unsure of his guilt or innocence until I read an aussie lady journo's account of being warned to keep her distance from him during an interview. His 'touchy feeliness' was well known in the industry. I wonder how many suspected or really knew what he was like and said nothing? Utter filth.
I read his nickname was octopus.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #33
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Apparently Rolf was voted as one of Australia's 100 most trusted people in a recent poll published by Readers Digest Australia......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #34
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a '50 something' I find the whole thing extremely disappointing.

In the 60's and 70's we all watched him on the various television programs and he was the truly trusted and admired quintessential aussie that we were keen to call our own. Every kid knew the words to 'Jake the peg' and 'Tie me kangaroo down, sport' and all the rest.

His programs were terrific family entertainment, however those memories are now irreversibly tainted with what has now transpired. I reckon I now know how the British public felt when the disgusting activities of Jimmy Savile came to light. The whole thing was a big lie - we were ripped off.

I spent a number of years investigating paedophiles and the one common thread that seems to run through them all is their ability to gain the trust of their victims and families in order to achieve their objectives. I guess both these creeps were no different in that regard.

There are certainly no winners in these matters, but ultimately it's a good thing that victims are willing to make a stand and bring these people to account for their actions.

You let us down badly Mr Harris - more than you'll ever realise.

Russ
6 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #35
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
it is actually against the law to sexually adult girls too, (which includes unwanted groping, feeling, pinching) in case you missed that part of your education into adulthood
It's also against the law to traffic drugs and rob banks. What's your point?
I clearly said "There's a special corner of hell reserved for excrement like him."
So what are you trying to imply?
Or just being a ____?

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 01-07-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #36
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
I must say that some of the "complaints" against him are rubbish, 30yr women complaining he pinched their bum, etc.
you said this, I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
It's also against the law to traffic drugs and rob banks. What's your point?
I clearly said "There's a special corner of hell reserved for excrement like him."
So what are you trying to imply?
Or just being a ____?
I was simply pointing out that the statement you made (see above) is not appropriate in today's climate, any offense against women is not acceptable, but you obviously think it is acceptable because you said ""complaints" against him are rubbish, 30yr women complaining he pinched their bum, etc"

Just saying!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #37
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I must say that some of the "complaints" against him are rubbish, 30yr women complaining he pinched their bum, etc.
BUT, they seem to simply be a continuum of his disgusting behaviour which included actual sexual assault of young children.
There's a special corner of hell reserved for excrement like him.
Because $$$$$$$$
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 02-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #38
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I read his nickname was octopus.
See that makes it even worse. Such a lot seems to have been known about his behaviour.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #39
dannyxm
was danny888

Tie my kangaroo down sport, tie my kangaroo down!

Hopefully they be singing that in jail

They may have the wrong guy though, it may have been Colonel Sanders, they look the same.....
Old 02-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #40
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny351 View Post
Tie my kangaroo down sport, tie my kangaroo down!

Hopefully they be singing that in jail

They may have the wrong guy though, it may have been Colonel Sanders, they look the same.....
Im guessing this song was his rolfs favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9TVvkpHWxg
Old 02-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #41
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he did it, fine, lock the scum up.

But does anyone else find it slightly worrying that a man can be locked up so easily forty years later for something over which there is literally no physical or scientific evidence, merely on the claims of someone else over what they allege happened...?
Victims say they wait thirty or forty years for various reasons...but it does make a lot of people kind of doubt all the details and whether some are just jumping on the bandwagon for a bit of publicity...
3 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #42
Trevor 57
is now there

When the claims are that age, they like to show 'trend' and they obviously could in this case
Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #43
Nova 8

Quote:
I was simply pointing out that the statement you made (see above) is not appropriate in today's climate, any offense against women is not acceptable, but you obviously think it is acceptable because you said ""complaints" against him are rubbish, 30yr women complaining he pinched their bum, etc"

Just saying!!!!!!
I'm not supporting the guy, if he diddled with children then he should be locked up but that said if a woman pinched a man's **** he would be laughed out the police station/courts if he tried to file sexual assault charges. It's not an equal playing field. If a woman got pinched on the **** 30 odd years ago she should have either slapped him there and then or did something about at the time. Culture was different then as well and to be charged to today's standards (VERY one sided towards woman) for something that was more accepted back then I think is unfair. Again, for fiddling with kids drag him over the coals and lock him up til the day he suicides.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #44
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
If he did it, fine, lock the scum up.

But does anyone else find it slightly worrying that a man can be locked up so easily forty years later for something over which there is literally no physical or scientific evidence, merely on the claims of someone else over what they allege happened...?
Victims say they wait thirty or forty years for various reasons...but it does make a lot of people kind of doubt all the details and whether some are just jumping on the bandwagon for a bit of publicity...
I think it's more the fact that people are now able to communicate instantly around the world & realise that "they aren't the only victim". Before the interweb came into use - you were pretty much on your own...
2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #45
Focusfan

Talk about scum bags, on the news today after saying that law suits will soon follow there is suddenly a lot more women coming out of the wood
work saying they were also assaulted. HA I think a lot want to get on the band wagon now to get some of his millions without doing the hard yard
court sessions that some went through. get rid of them I say. If they did not have the guts to go to court like the others then too late get lost.
I call them scum bags as well.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #46
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

^^^ ITT victims are apparently scumbags? You should be ashamed of yourself.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #47
Focusfan

Not saying victims are scum bags. The late comers are probably fakers
that were not victims so they stayed out of the court system so they would not be exposed. Now the trial is over they want to add their names to the
law suits and try to make some easy money. They should have to go through court like the others to prove they were victims as well and not
just fakes trying to make a buck. That is my opinion. The real victims
good on them and I hope they get their rewards as they went through
the courts to get justice done. Not sitting back waiting for the verdict.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #48
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
I'm not supporting the guy, if he diddled with children then he should be locked up but that said if a woman pinched a man's **** he would be laughed out the police station/courts if he tried to file sexual assault charges. It's not an equal playing field. If a woman got pinched on the **** 30 odd years ago she should have either slapped him there and then or did something about at the time. Culture was different then as well and to be charged to today's standards (VERY one sided towards woman) for something that was more accepted back then I think is unfair. Again, for fiddling with kids drag him over the coals and lock him up til the day he suicides.
If you actually took notice it wasn't the odd random butt pinch, there was breast gropes, hands running up the thighs to the crutch, there was massaging the buttocks, then runs the hands up their backs

If it not such a problem, give me you addresses and I will pop around and do it to your wife/girlfriend/(over 18yo old) daughters, I am a 57 year old bloke, so it will be OK - trust me (as I shake my head in disbelief)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #49
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

^^Victim shaming. It's a lot harder to come forward than you would think.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Old 02-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #50
Lotte

Quote:
If you actually took notice it wasn't the odd random butt pinch, there was breast gropes, hands running up the thighs to the crutch, there was massaging the buttocks, then runs the hands up their backs

If it not such a problem, give me you address and I will pop around and do it to your wife/girlfriend
Like the woman who posed for a photo with him and he slid his hands down her back, between her lugs and went for a bit of rubbing action, then followed up with "but it feels good dunnit?"
Needed a punch in the face if you ask me.

2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #51
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

That's a very grey area Focusfan. What about the ones who did speak out but were not allowed to testify or were deemed poor witnesses or prejudicial to the defences' case etc., what about them?

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #52
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
....... Culture was different then as well and to be charged to today's standards (VERY one sided towards woman) for something that was more accepted back then I think is unfair......
FWIW, My wife told me today that he will be sentenced as per the laws at the time of the offences.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #53
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
FWIW, My wife told me today that he will be sentenced as per the laws at the time of the offences.
That's good, don't get me wrong, I in no way agree or support him and what he has done. I just don't agree with the masses of women who are coming out and saying that he pinched or slapped their ****. Those with legitimate claims of actual sexual assault I hope get every penny they can but those who got what at the time could be considered a 'friendly slap' need to toughen up.

As for you Trevor, feel free to come round and do that and, like I said, it will be dealt with immediately as it should be not 30 years later. The woman who were assault by this scummy ***** were let down by themselves for not coming forward, by previous woman who didn't come forward and all the pathetic spineless bystanders who knew it was happening and stood idly by. I hope everyone involved feels a bit of blame for this matter and that's taken on board by those watching it in the media.

If you see this crap happening come forward immediately regardless of who the person may be, don't wait 30 years so countless more people can be harassed.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #54
Lotte

The only person they were let down by is Rolf.
Coming forward as an assault victim is not easy Nova 8.

And what's your definition of sexual assault, because we're I'm standing, it's any unwanted sexual attention, so an **** slap is classified as such. It may not mean much to you, but it does to a lot of people.

This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #55
Nova 8

I almost lost my job a few years ago for reporting sexual assault in the work force cause the woman said nothing happeneds due to fear of losing her job even though I saw different. If it wasn't for another woman coming forward saying she got harassed too I would have been fired. If it was reported the first time it could have save the other from getting assaulted. So yes, if you see someone doing crap like this and say nothing YOU are letting them down and all those to come. As for me saying it was just a slap on the ****, you can't apply the level of political correctness we have today, our current way of thinking is totally different and it was more culturally accepted back then, inappropriate in my mind but still.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #56
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusfan View Post
Not saying victims are scum bags. The late comers are probably fakers
that were not victims so they stayed out of the court system so they would not be exposed. Now the trial is over they want to add their names to the
law suits and try to make some easy money. They should have to go through court like the others to prove they were victims as well and not
just fakes trying to make a buck. That is my opinion. The real victims
good on them and I hope they get their rewards as they went through
the courts to get justice done. Not sitting back waiting for the verdict.
You are only guessing, you have no facts.

Best to stay quiet (you know, better to stay silent and be thought a fool than speak out and remove all doubt).

Find out someone in your family has been abused (as I have) and you may then understand why it can take decades for courage to overtake shame.

I assume you are ignorant of the issue and that is the only reason I have been so polite, I completely despise your view, based on my own experience.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
6 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #57
Lotte

Invading someone's personal space isn't about political correctness, it's about respect.

That fear that woman spoke about is why a lot of people don't report assaults of many natures. There was a girl who was gang raped in 2010, the charges against 2 of the defendants were dropped, because she was "too drunk to give credible evidence". Yep. There are reasons people don't report these things.
And there were reasons people didn't report these things 30-40 years ago. Like you said, if a guy walked into the cop shop to report a smack on the **** as sexual assault, he'd get laughed out of the station. Thing is, women STILL get ignored and blamed for their assaults, it's a psychological thing.

Additionally, if you victim blame (which you're doing, while on another hand, you're stating if someone did this to your wife, it would be dealt with because it's unacceptable in your mind), you give perps more power. "If only I'd been reported, I would have stopped." No. If only you weren't a douche bag.

On top of this, if you pay attention to what's happening, what someone is willing to do in public is a small taste of what they'll do when there are no prying eyes. So to dismiss someone's complaint of legitimate assault, because it's too "politically correct" in your eyes, is ignoring an underlying issue.

As for your scenario, if you had lost your job for reporting sexual assault, you could have sued your workplace. Additionally, nothing can be done as long as the complainant refuses to make a statement or press charges (unless, of course, they are a minor, then the onus is on the parents), so for all you know, bystanders HAD reported it, but nothing was done because complainants had not come forward.

Rolf is the perp, he is to blame, and he is the ONLY person who has let anyone down. Not other victims, not bystanders. Rolf.

3 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #58
Nova 8

He is receiving his punishment and hopefully will die in prison but people need to be told to come forward being under the mindset that "if I say something and the victem doesn't agree nothing will happen so it's pointless anyway" is terrible. If you know this crap is happening you should say something or do something. If you witness someone getting touched inappropriately and do nothing you are part to blame for the next person touched. Not legally but morally how could you not do anything.
And yes, I know the legal system often lets people down and am currently experiencing this myself in court right now. But that's life and it's always better to act than to do nothing.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
^^Victim shaming. It's a lot harder to come forward than you would think.
My sister was raped by someone she invited into her house, by the time she had the courage to come forward to the police (who were really good) was a while later, as in year or so.

Police handled it really well but the guys lawyer abused the crap out of my sister on the stand during cross examination saying nasty things and she lost her nerve and bit back.

Case was thrown out, witness screwed up and guy got off on a technicality.

But that particular guy has been in court 3 times now for rape charges and since my sister came out with it, word has spread around and his other victims are also coming forward and he is back in court again.

If you've seen what rape and sexual assault does to people, its very hard for them to come forward and come out publically. Its not pleasant for the person, and they tend to suffer with PTSD.

You wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy.

Anyone who comes forward should be commended.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-07-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #60
Lotte

Quote:
He is receiving his punishment and hopefully will die in prison but people need to be told to come forward being under the mindset that "if I say something and the victem doesn't agree nothing will happen so it's pointless anyway" is terrible. If you know this crap is happening you should say something or do something. If you witness someone getting touched inappropriately and do nothing you are part to blame for the next person touched. Not legally but morally how could you not do anything.
And yes, I know the legal system often lets people down and am currently experiencing this myself in court right now. But that's life and it's always better to act than to do nothing.
Where did I say this was a mindset? Many people do report these things, but until a complaint is made by the victim, or the victims parents in the case of a minor, nothing can legally happen. It's not that people don't report it, its that we don't know if they do. You are not to blame if it happens to somebody else, the most that can happen is that police are then alerted in case somebody else comes forward.
But as you yourself have stated - this was a different time, so it was deemed acceptable or not something that wouldn't be taken seriously (ie: women making complaints and getting laughed out - which happened in those days and still does). I find it very telling that you are, in some ways, excusing his behaviour towards grown women (butt slapping/pinching etc, not the more serious stuff) due to the differences of the times, and yet at the same time condemning these women/bystanders for not coming forward at the same time. If the times deemed it frowned upon, yet not charge worthy, then why would the women feel the need to come forward?

Do not ever blame a victim, under any circumstances. you don't know what they're going through, and, as many have already stated, through personal experience, it's extremely difficult to come forward about these things. The trauma it can leave you with is immense, and the struggle to actually go down to the cops, relive it, then relive it during trial is excruciatingly daunting.

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread