Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
JETME

Default El Xr6..........

hey all...

just a few issues, iv got a brand new battery in, everytime i turn the air - conditioning on, the volts drop down all the way till the light almost turn's on, is this a common thing???

also how much do mechanics charge to do head gaskets, i think mine has shit its self..

thanks dudes

JETME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never had the air-con problem, but to get the head done properly (pressure & crack test, flush radiator etc) most mechanics charge anywhere from $700-$1100.

Some people reckon they can do it themselves for $150 but i guess it depends on your knowledge...

Last edited by FRDXR6; 22-11-2006 at 06:44 PM.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

The headgasket alone costs over $200. And its always good to get your head machined. So i cant see it costing $150

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never done it before, thats what people on these forums have quoted it cost them.

No idea what parts they used for it though....
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #5
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Cost me $1800 for the head gasket in our last EL Fairmont Ghia. That was retail cost from a workshop. The head did get fully reconditioned, including the three angle valve grind, new stem seals, lifters had a kit put through them, steam clean, crack test, pressure test and the inevitible shave.
I have heard of people paying upwards of $2000 for the job.
If you do it at home you should budget about $500.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #6
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Bah $2000, the old man did one in my old EA 4 years ago it survived more than 60,000 k's and torture from 2 p-platers, and all that cost was about $50

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #7
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

To do a headgasket on the cheap yourself, you still need the essentials;

- Head Shaved
- VRS kit (AU Gasket kit)
- AU Headbolts

To do it properly you really need to get the head reconditioned and checked thoroughly, so it doesn't happen again.

I'd just buy a new low kilometer AU engine if it were me. Head gasket is pretty unbreakable, and at around $500-700, it's a bargain!
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4L
The headgasket alone costs over $200. And its always good to get your head machined. So i cant see it costing $150

WTF? $200 for a gasket!!! No way. The last headgasket we bought was $23 trade...Retail would not be much more than that.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post