Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lightbulb CarsGuide article: Falcon confirmed to continue

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...ed_to_continue

Quote:
he longest running nameplate in Australian automotive history is safe — for now.

Ford Australia chief, Marin Burela, fresh from the Detroit motor show, says the Falcon will remain a part of the local scene despite speculation that it was facing the end of the road as Ford moves to a global strategy.

Ford has confirmed that the next-generation Falcon has a role in the "One Ford" global structure and could share its underbody architecture with other cars like the rear-drive Mustang. Arriving back in Australia early this week Burela attacked speculation that the Falcon was dead in the water.

"It was completely unwarranted," he says. "We have been very vocal about our `One Ford' policy and the great things it has done for Australia to date. There was nothing new that was said in Detroit that deserved the attention, particularly the negative attention that it received." Burela says Ford Australia continues to take a lead role in engineering and design in the region and this will not change.

The Broadmeadows team are in the final development phase of a global medium pickup, called the T6, which will be sold in more than 100 countries. "We're the engineering and design and development for that here in Australia and for the Figo hatch," he says. "Our position on Falcon and the future it has in Australia really hasn't changed at all."

Burela says reports that the company will drop its four and five-speed gearboxes — and move to a six-speed automatic only — are premature. "Sometimes I think that people read too much into things that are taking place around us," he says. "We have had nothing but great feedback about the four-speed and five-speed. We have no immediate change in mind right now."

However, the four-speed could be phased out towards the end of the year when the Falcon gets a high-tech liquid-injection LPG system for its six-cylinder. Burela says like all carmakers, Ford Australia would continue to make "any tweaks or changes to our lineup that are necessary".

"You continue to evolve your lineup to deliver the best possible combination of driving and finesse," he says. After the car industry's global battering last year, Burela is optimistic about 2010. "Coming off 2009 it gives us confidence," he says.

He says the Federal Government's stimulus package was timely "just as the global financial crisis was shaking confidence". For 2010, the Ford executive sees the local market quiet in the first quarter but then pick up for the rest of the year.

"Our view is that the industry will be as strong, if not stronger," he says. It will be a busy year for the blue oval brand with Falcon and Ford Performance Vehicle products getting mechanical and engine updates.

Falcon prototype mules are up and running with the new Ecoboost four-cylinder engine and Territory turbo-diesel, both of which arrive next year to compete against newer rivals. Ford has used the Falcon nameplate on its large car since 1960.
This stuff should have been said a week ago.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PR and media spin is the last part of the puzle that Ford Aus. need to put together - the car building side of the business is better than ever

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/new...ed_to_continue

Totally agree - but at least now something has been put out there to quell the negativety and speculation that has been propagating at such an alarming rate.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Correct, why wasn't it and why were they talking about FWD & AWD last week ?
(would have saved going into damage control.)
strange
Old 28-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
Black GT-E
Starter Motor

Amen to that. I wonder if he means the next Falcon will share it's architecture with the Mustang et al. or the Mustang will share it's architecture with the Falcon. IMHO, the current Mustang could defintely benefit from the FG's architecture.
Black GT-E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Well, if this guy goes on the offensive regarding the future of the Falcon, I'll be pretty impressed.

Lukeyson
Old 28-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So just as the major television networks spent 2-3 minutes on prime-time news to how many millions of people saying that the Falcon is dead and is going to be a fwd taurus(or to that effect), are they now going to spend as much time celebrating the retention of Australian jobs and engineering?

I think not. :

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All it is saying is that the Falcon has been confirmed that it will be part of 'One Ford', the journalist makes an assumption that it COULD be paired with the Mustang.

Read the quotes specifically in the article, its nothing we have not already known.

Im just curious to know what the future holds for the Falcon, Im sure whether Mustang or Taurus based it will be a great car.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
All it is saying is that the Falcon has been confirmed that it will be part of 'One Ford', the journalist makes an assumption that it COULD be paired with the Mustang.

Read the quotes specifically in the article, its nothing we have not already known.

Im just curious to know what the future holds for the Falcon, Im sure whether Mustang or Taurus based it will be a great car.
I agree, he's really added nothing. It's not like he said the next Falcon would be RWD or production would stay in Australia.
Old 28-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
I agree, he's really added nothing. It's not like he said the next Falcon would be RWD or production would stay in Australia.
Re-reading the article he says:

"Our position on Falcon and the future it has in Australia really hasn't changed at all."

Could this mean continuing with RWD and production in Australia, or am I taking a too big of a leap with his comment?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #11
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:

"Our position on Falcon and the future it has in Australia really hasn't changed at all."

Could this mean continuing with RWD and production in Australia, or am I taking a too big of a leap with his comment?
I think "our position" was "a decision won't be made until 2011" so I wouldn't be letting off any firecrackers yet.
Old 28-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

..just when I thought the storm had destroyed the inside of the teacup, it flares up once again.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:

+1 thats what it say's, the other clue is they also said that no decision would be made for another 12 months, in one mag.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

what does Jez think of this?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #15
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
what does Jez think of this?
I assume the "Another nail in Falcons coffin" article shall be retracted and replaced by the "Falcon Phoenix rises from the flames" article.....
I shall not hold my breath.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Falcon coupe revived? :P
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
rodderz

There was talk a few weeks back that a few aussie journo's were invited and paid for, to go to the Detroit Motor show at Ford's expense. When Mullaly mentioned about the "One Ford" and global platform a certain journo did the runner and left early to write an article that seemed to indicate that Falcon was dead and then his employer ran with the story.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

This is the news we wanted, well sort, at least we no the Falcon nameplate is staying for now, just would be nice to no it will stay RWD, as i've said many times before, if its FWD its not a Falcon!
Old 28-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
There was talk a few weeks back that a few aussie journo's were invited and paid for, to go to the Detroit Motor show at Ford's expense. When Mullaly mentioned about the "One Ford" and global platform a certain journo did the runner and left early to write an article that seemed to indicate that Falcon was dead and then his employer ran with the story.
Somehow i don't think they'll be getting an invite next year.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Be prepared for another Drive article like, "Falcon safe for now, in peril beyond 2015..."

The guy won't take yes for an answer......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #21
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
Somehow i don't think they'll be getting an invite next year.
Yes, ironically it was those at Detroit that were guests of GMHolden which ran the positive Falcon / Mustang to be twinned story. The guests (can't call them journalists...) were there for Ford.

Sometimes, the old saying applies. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. They might just get an invite, but with strings attached. ie pull your head in.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post