Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Formula 1 just got interesting

This is taken from the Daily Mail in the UK.

Top Gear favourite Richard Hammond is in pole position to become the face of Formula One for the BBC.

It comes after the corporation paid around £200million for the rights to screen motor racing - £50million more than ITV paid for its current deal - despite having no rival bidders.

Hammond, known as The Hamster, is said to be favourite as insiders believe he has a special affinity with drivers after surviving a high-speed crash in 2006.

Coverage will take on the style of Top Gear, with co-presenters Jeremy Clarkson and James May also involved.

Dominic Coles, BBC Director of Sport Rights, said: "When Lewis Hamilton did a test lap on Top Gear it got more viewers than the Brazilian Grand Prix.

"Bernie [Ecclestone] was very impressed with the Top Gear proposition and there will be cross-fertilisation between the show and the races."

Full article here. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Whilst I generally enjoy Martin Brundle and James Allen, I think Hammond, May and Clarkson would make it alot more fun. Since Murray Walker left the commentary whilst thorough just hasn't been as exciting. Hopefully the Top Gear boys get to have a lot of input.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as they dont talk about Lewish hamilton all the time, should be great.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
As long as they dont talk about Lewish hamilton all the time, should be great.
+1

Hamilton didn't even win it last year for crying out loud...

By the way is there a coincidence that english sports stars have a disposition to choke....

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
blue sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I agree with you. F1 has not had the same excitment and lustre since Murray Walker left. Murray taught me about F1 and he is the reason I am in Murray's own words an "enthusiastic enthusiast". I set my alarm to get up in the early hours of a monday morning to watch Formula 1. I hope his Top Gear link will help bring back the same sort of commentating that Murray did.

On a side note if anyone wants a laugh check out this massive list of "Walkerisims"

http://www.worldmotorsport.com/murray/
Old 29-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So Clarkson, May and Hammond will be commentating through the race? That'd be funny.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome, I cant wait. Is it gonna air here in Australia though?
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I very much doubt they would have them commentating...only presenting...surely they'd have other already commentators....F1 commentating is not something that should be made "humorous" by the Top Gear boys...
Old 29-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
I very much doubt they would have them commentating...only presenting...surely they'd have other already commentators....F1 commentating is not something that should be made "humorous" by the Top Gear boys...
Not sure. Martin Brundle and James Allen have done the international broadcast for ITV for many years, but they're on a rival network and I think Bernie likes the idea of livening up the broadcast as it has become boring and numbers have dwindled. The fact that Top Gear averages a world audience much greater than formula 1 is what has them as the front runners for this exercise. I think you'd probably see Richard being serious and Clarkson being a bit of a joker. If they did do it I'm sure channel 10 would see the light and use their broadcast as opposed to Neil Crompton who doesn't have much of a clue.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Not sure. Martin Brundle and James Allen have done the international broadcast for ITV for many years, but they're on a rival network and I think Bernie likes the idea of livening up the broadcast as it has become boring and numbers have dwindled. The fact that Top Gear averages a world audience much greater than formula 1 is what has them as the front runners for this exercise. I think you'd probably see Richard being serious and Clarkson being a bit of a joker. If they did do it I'm sure channel 10 would see the light and use their broadcast as opposed to Neil Crompton who doesn't have much of a clue.

i'm with the_scotsman on this one. the top gear crew don't know enough about the technical side of f1 to do it justice. they've never been in the sport or raced the cars and can't give that sort of feedback. i actually like brundle as commentator.

murray walker on the other hand was a goose. he was forever being corrected and trying to get excited just for the sake of it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Not sure. Martin Brundle and James Allen have done the international broadcast for ITV for many years, but they're on a rival network and I think Bernie likes the idea of livening up the broadcast as it has become boring and numbers have dwindled.
Typical Burnie, thinking the numbers have dropped off because the broadcast has become boring, maybe he should use his money to buy a clue and realize its the racing that has become boring.

Doesn't Clarkson hate F1?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
If they did do it I'm sure channel 10 would see the light and use their broadcast as opposed to Neil Crompton who doesn't have much of a clue.
Someone hasn't watched F1 for awhile - given that Cam McConville replaced Cromley some time ago.

The rather more interesting part of this is to see a taxpayer funded broadcaster tossing in such a large amount of money to win the right to broadcast F1 which has been suffereing declining audiences for the last few years anyway.

Personally I don't care who they have doing it as long as they retain someone from the ex driving ranks who has half a clue about driving the cars.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

i wonder if brundle and co are part of itv or f1. if f1 changes broadcasters will they follow a la cromley with the v8's. if so you will probably find it will be similar to here where the local commentary only hosts the start of the show and when itv are on ad breaks and allother times we cross to the live itv commentary.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

F1 was already interesting enough with the removal of the driver aids, having someone like him on the team it surely can only get better
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AS long as its not the Lewis Hamilton show that it currently is im happy!

It's almost sickening
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
XR8putts

The Stig to be pit reporter?

I can see it now, Clarkson introduces the Stig like he always does, they cut to the Stig who just walks around and shoves a microphone infront of angry drivers and lets them vent. The Stig just nods. Whilst the drivers' still venting, Stiggy jumps in the car and breaks the lap reccord, comes back into pit lane, parks it and then dissapears back into a nearby forrest.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
rodderz

I wonder if they will introduce a Top Gear F1 challenge and have the boys drive 1960's F1 cars with faulty spoilers, 4 wheel drum brakes and overheating engines to see which one 1st completes a journey from London to Silverstone and do 20 laps?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #17
nommic
EL Monty Ghia

Another rumor I heard was that Coulthard might be enticed into adding a more technical side to the commentary - sort of Brundle's role at the moment. Frankly I would be happy with anyone buy James Allen.

I watched a few races on SpeedTV last year, I found their commentary to be much more entertaining and balanced. It wasn't "LEWIS, LEWIS OH GOD LEWIS" every five seconds.
Old 29-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #18
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:
Formula 1 just got interesting
NO WAY!

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #19
ingall9

Why is everyone down on Hamilton? He breathed life into F1 last year, after the farce of a race in the US a couple if years back when only 6 cars started and the procession it had turned into people lost interest in the sport. For Hamilton to come out in his first year in F1 and not finish off the podium for the first half dozen races and then only loose the championship in his rookie year by 1 point he deserves to have the spot light, he is a true champion, and i for one wish that cheating mongrel shoomaker (i know its spelt wrong) was still in the championship so Hamilton could show the guy how to drive like a true sportsman.

He cemented his true talent as a driver when he outclassed the field at Melbourne as the rest of the feild fell appart because they didnt have traction aids and gizmos to drive for them.

As for the topic, i reckon an F1 telecast would be worth watching regardless of the racing if Hamilton and the guys were commentating.
ingall9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #20
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingall9
Why is everyone down on Hamilton? He breathed life into F1 last year, after the farce of a race in the US a couple if years back when only 6 cars started and the procession it had turned into people lost interest in the sport. For Hamilton to come out in his first year in F1 and not finish off the podium for the first half dozen races and then only loose the championship in his rookie year by 1 point he deserves to have the spot light, he is a true champion, and i for one wish that cheating mongrel shoomaker (i know its spelt wrong) was still in the championship so Hamilton could show the guy how to drive like a true sportsman.

He cemented his true talent as a driver when he outclassed the field at Melbourne as the rest of the feild fell appart because they didnt have traction aids and gizmos to drive for them.

As for the topic, i reckon an F1 telecast would be worth watching regardless of the racing if Hamilton and the guys were commentating.
Noone disputes that Hamilton is not a great steerer and maybe a potential future champion.
He isnt a world champion yet so comparing him to champions like Senna, Prost and Schumacher is a bit premature.

Lewis drove for a cheating team last year and got immunity for telling the FIA what he knew, so whos the cheat then?
lol
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Noone disputes that Hamilton is not a great steerer and maybe a potential future champion.
He isnt a world champion yet so comparing him to champions like Senna, Prost and Schumacher is a bit premature.

Lewis drove for a cheating team last year and got immunity for telling the FIA what he knew, so whos the cheat then?
lol
I like Lewis Hamilton but agree that it shouldn't just be a Lewis Hamilton show. I also think clarkson said he started watching it again last year when Hamilton came on the scene. Perhaps that's an ominous sign of where it would go. As for Martin Brundle, I do think he is great to listen to as he knows all the ins and outs, and I don't even mind James Allen as he seems to have learnt alot. He was brilliant in the pits all those years ago. As for Murray Walker; I loved his passion. You sort of felt that it was the pinnacle motorsport just by hos commentary and infectious "go, go, go" at the beginning of each race.

As for drivers, I think Schumacher will be revered for a long time as the best regardless of what his fans and detractors think. I agree in 94 when he took out Damon Hill he was a hothead, but I also think he was following team orders. In his later years he seems to have mellowed.
Finally, I'm looking forward to the top gear team doing it; it should be brilliant.

Quote: