Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #1
spookster123
Spòók

Default Roof lining fabric

Hey all,
Where would I buy the foam backed roof lining material for a BA falcon and what type of spray on glue to use ?
Gonna have a crack at doing it myself
Melbourne area
Appreciate any reccomendations
thanx all
Old 17-10-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Roof lining fabric

there's a lot of the headlining material on ebay or Laverton market ... if it's still there
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2021, 07:56 PM   #3
spookster123
Spòók

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2
there's a lot of the headlining material on ebay or Laverton market ... if it's still there
Thanks mate,
Was looking more for click and collect or something rather than ebay.
Being a postie I dont have much faith in a timely delivery from AusPost at the moment.
Old 17-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Pavlov and Sons, would be my recommendation for the fabric. The glue, I use one from Sydney - it’s sold by Premier Furniture Supplies. They might have a Melbourne agent.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 01:24 AM   #5
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you want exact same stuff, or will generic do? Or are you after some custom stuff?

home upholsterer sells generic car foam backed velours, bonus is their 'bond it' spray glue is the absolute best on market too. Use nothing else no matter where you buy the fabric. I was let down by selleys and others, permatex works but is lumpy and bleeds through. 'Bond it' is the best spray can. Probably the same stuff that CB mentioned, as home upholsterer is a premier group brand.

https://www.homeupholsterer.com.au/h...t-hard-38.html

https://www.homeupholsterer.com.au/p...-material.html

I got the glue and generic foam there, but then went to spotlight for a fake suede. Because the spotlight stuff wasn't foam backed and I did a & c pillars plus parcel shelf I used 4 cans of glue, ie glue foam roll material, glue fake suede on top.

E: it comes by courier from H.U. and didn't take long to get to Perth

Last edited by oldel; 18-10-2021 at 01:41 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #6
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did my VS Commodore headlining many years ago. Used a generic foam-backed material from my local independent foam and rubber shop and 3M spray adhesive. The material looked identical in colour and texture to the Holden lining. It turned out really well and wasn't expensive.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
or Laverton market ... if it's still there
Ohhhh..... Don't say that.

While there are many reasons to want to go to Lavo Market, the is only one reason you NEED to go there. The hot jam donuts!!!

We've had 2 trips to Melbourne cancelled this year and Lavo Market was on my list of places to visit for the donuts. Still aiming for a visit in April next year.

If it or they aren't there anymore, I will cry.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Here: https://globaltrim.com.au/collection...-falcon-xr6-ss

Although in the past (it was in 2013 when I checked when the Australian dollar was much stronger) I have bought all mine by the roll from a US company Global Upholstery Supply, Inc. that use to list on ebay. Probably this mob http://www.globalupholstery.com/contact-us.html but this was the eBay link https://www.ebay.com/usr/globalupholstery/ but they appear to have been inactive since 2016.

Last edited by aussiblue; 18-10-2021 at 12:51 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Here: https://globaltrim.com.au/collection...-falcon-xr6-ss

Although in the past (it was in 2013 when I checked when the Australian dollar was much stronger) I have bought all mine by the roll from a US company Global Upholstery Supply, Inc. that use to list on ebay. Probably this mob http://www.globalupholstery.com/contact-us.html but this was the eBay link https://www.ebay.com/usr/globalupholstery/ but they appear to have been inactive since 2016.
$44 per metre. 2 metres for sedan = $88. Add glue and your time (would be a PIA to remove all the old glue and foam).

Makes the average going rate for a professional redone roof lining at $120 seem like a bargain, especially with warranty.

Have a spare board at home, tempted to give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post

While there are many reasons to want to go to Lavo Market, the is only one reason you NEED to go there. The hot jam donuts!!!

We've had 2 trips to Melbourne cancelled this year and Lavo Market was on my list of places to visit for the donuts. Still aiming for a visit in April next year.

Was still open in July. Covid has taken one victim being the Carrabean Market. No news whether Laverton market will be opened this weekend, tempted to go check it out.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 18-10-2021 at 01:21 PM.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #10
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:

we go to Bendigo for our donuts
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #11
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Makes the average going rate for a professional redone roof lining at $120 seem like a bargain, especially with warranty.
that's insane!
I found a good trimmer that did my ute for $110 if I removed it and cleaned it and fitted myself, but that was pre covid. For a sedan if they did the whole job it was $330 minimum

After covid that same good trimmer wanted $500 if I removed, cleaned and refitted myself, and there was a 6 week wait list! That's why I DIYed it

If you find any trimmer willing to do the job for $300 after covid, then there's no point in DIYing
( unless you want a custom job like I did with fake suede that they wouldn't touch either.)
Old 18-10-2021, 02:33 PM   #12
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Was still open in July. Covid has taken one victim being the Carrabean Market. No news whether Laverton market will be opened this weekend, tempted to go check it out.
I grew up in North Scumshine and moved to Lavo when I bought my first house. Westend and Lavo markets are in my blood. And if I'm being honest, Westend market is probably in my lungs too. Will know in 10 or so years I guess.

So spent many a weekend there. When I lived in Laverton I'd walk over every couple of weekends for 6 donuts for lunch.

It's good to hear they were still open recently. Hopefully they continue now things are getting back to normal.

Shame to hear Caribbean Gardens has fallen away. We didn't go there often because it was a bit of a hike. The one old one in Campbellfield was our long distance market. But it was very rare to go there because I'd always demand a ride on the go-karts as a reward for Mum dragging me around.
Old 18-10-2021, 02:33 PM   #13
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
we go to Bendigo for our donuts
We had a holiday house in Portarlington too. Would always get donuts from the van by the pier over summer. They were as good as the Lavo market ones from memory. Just ahead of the all you can eat donuts from Smorgy's on the pier.

All this talk of donuts has got me wanting to drive to the local bakery.

My favourite is this creation. Its a Nutella filled chocolate and M&M covered delight. More commonly known as a "heart attack in a box".

Unfortunately the impending storm and having the poor dog petrified, shaking and hiding under the spare bed is preventing me.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #14
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
We had a holiday house in Portarlington too. Would always get donuts from the van by the pier over summer. They were as good as the Lavo market ones from memory. Just ahead of the all you can eat donuts from Smorgy's on the pier.

All this talk of donuts has got me wanting to drive to the local bakery.

My favourite is this creation. Its a Nutella filled chocolate and M&M covered delight. More commonly known as a "heart attack in a box".

Unfortunately the impending storm and having the poor dog petrified, shaking and hiding under the spare bed is preventing me.
Pics are in the wrong thread. They need to be over here.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #15
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
that's insane!
I found a good trimmer that did my ute for $110 if I removed it and cleaned it and fitted myself, but that was pre covid. For a sedan if they did the whole job it was $330 minimum

After covid that same good trimmer wanted $500 if I removed, cleaned and refitted myself, and there was a 6 week wait list! That's why I DIYed it

If you find any trimmer willing to do the job for $300 after covid, then there's no point in DIYing
( unless you want a custom job like I did with fake suede that they wouldn't touch either.)
Thats nuts. Shipping costs must have increased The material you chose will have a big impact on cost, but yep, average like for like replacement was around $120 if you remove and install yourself. $220-$250 if they did the job start to finish. No warranty if you decide to remove and install yourself, as that process can damage the lining, fair enough.

I ended up getting one off FB marketplace, in a dark alley behind a dodgey servo, between one of the lock downs. $110, black trim, not a luxury cloth or anything. Looks to have been beautifully done. Lets see how it goes after a couple of Melb summers.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #16
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speak to a motor trimmer.
I had the headlining replaced in an AU ute.
They used a different material, I recall it being used in Toyota's.
Colour was great & the material looked to be better quality than the original.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 10:08 PM   #17
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or better yet look up a mobile trimmer. They're usually the cheapest as less overheads that a B&M workshop.

Only reason to DIY this is if you can't get a trimmer to do it for $300, or want to do a custom job, or just want to learn. Headliners failing has become the bread and butter of the motor trimming trade and they're pretty good at it.

Issue for me was last year WA kept covid free most of the time. Besides a few 2 week restrictions since, we pretty much reopened last June back when everyone cashed up with jobkeeper, double dole. Even people working from home were saving a lot of transport costs and could take their car off the road for jobs that had been put off. Plus old cars going up so people picking up a project.
Ended up every trade booked out, even a 2wk waiting list for mechanics and auto electricians etc.

That probably won't be happening when Vic opens up, financial support will be pulled immediately. OTOH, lots of job losses and business closures already happened maybe?