Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
daveb7
Starter Motor

Default Auxiliary Input for LR Focus 6000CD

Hi Focus fans!

For my first post on the forum, I thought I'd impart a little Focus knowledge for everyone to enjoy!

I am the owner of a 2003 Focus Zetec, and I am also the proud owner of a Microsoft Zune 120Gb mp3 player.
Naturally, I wanted to join these two great items together!

I tried an FM tuner, but I found that the cigarette lighter in my car was very corroded inside (amazing how deteriorated it was due to being used by the previous owners!) making the tuner touchy...not to mention the sound quality was woeful!

Being a stickler for quality, I searched for a more direct connection. Alas, pretty much every inputs built into MP3 players are exclusively for iPods...no suprise there. But I also wanted to keep the factory radio for those very handy steering column mounted radio controls, they are tops!

So I uncovered the perfect solution! It's called the Connects2 CTVFOX001 auxiliary input connector.
Basically it consists of a little box that plugs into the 6000CD radios in place of the 6 disc stacker, and has a 3.5mm headphone jack at the business end.

The sound quality is perfect from the Zune player. Naturally you still have to operate the player manually to change tracks etc, which is still something you must do when using an FM tuner anyway!

I took some piccies of the process, and I'll write up how I fitted it and share it with everyone later today! I'll also suggest where to find these input devices.

Until Ford releases the Sync in-car interface in Australia, this is the best bet!

Check later today for an update!

Cheers!

daveb7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Dave, what a great first post!

Welcome to AFF.

That's a great bit of info. I'd always assumed that to get a decent MP3 interface for the LR Focus was something not worth pursuing.

When you say " in place of the 6 disc stacker" are you referring to the connection for the external stacker? I have the European HU that has the 6 stacker built into the head unit. Would this approach potentially disable that??

I look forward to seeing your write up.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
daveb7
Starter Motor

Default Ford LR Focus 6000CD auxiliary input

Alrighty, here we go!

The device is a Connects2 CTVFOX001

Heres a link to the manufacturers page
http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2search....=209&modID=791

And a more detailed link
http://www.raysmith.co.uk/ctvfox001-...n-adaptor.html

You may be able to purchase one from those websites, however I ordered mine from eBay, a bit of searching and you should be able to find one. Try using the item model number too, i.e. "CTVFOX001"

Mine cost me about $75 or so, and being for overseas, the exchange rates can be difficult, although it's doing well right now!

An alternative product is this one
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrdcaux.html

Its a US product, but as their first series of Focus was the same as ours (more or less) it should work in Oz Focii too!
The manufacturer of that device also makes some neat connectors for the Zune and for iPods, with integrated sound output and interference-free charging, and it connects into the charging/USB-cord connector. Very neat and tidy!

This is what comes in the Connects2 product package.

Its very simple, theres a cord that plugs into the CD changer port at the back of the Ford radio, and the other end plugs into the box, which also plugs into the RCA cords.

You could fit your own cords into the box, but this one is quite simple, with a 3.5mm headphone jack, that plugs into the MP3 players headphone socket.

Next Ill show you guys how I fitted it to my car!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
daveb7
Starter Motor

Cheers mate!

Hope you find it useful!

So have you got the 6006CD 6 disc stacker head unit?

From what I recall in my searchings, and believe me I spent quite a while on this!! It was worth it to banish the awful sound quality of the FM transmitter I was using, yuk!, the 6006CD wasnt compatible with some of these devices.

Does your unit have the plug on the back of it? When I post up the next part of my set up, you'll be able to see the plugs from the photos if you're not sure which one Im referring too.

The device sort of tricks the head unit into thinking that a stacker is plugged in, and the signal from the MP3 player comes into the head unit. But it needs to come through that plug to operate :(

Let me know what the back of your unit looks like, and we'll see what we can see eh!
Old 30-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
daveb7
Starter Motor

Default Back in Business

Hi Focus fans,

Sorry for the massive gap between my previous post on this handy-dandy instruction page for fitting an auxiliary input to a 6000CD-equipped Focus.

I have been extraordinarily busy finishing my mechanical engineering thesis, and thus my degree.

Now Im back with spare time to put into showing everyone how I fitted a really good auxiliary input unit to the factory radio in my LR Focus.
Old 30-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
daveb7
Starter Motor

Smile Auxiliary Input Fitting Instructions

To continue from Post #3...

Tools you will need:
Connects2 AUX input unit, including: 3.5mm – 2xRCAs lead, 6000CD stacker plug – unit plug lead.
Stereo removal tools/method
Phillips head screwdriver
Some really strong double sided tape, or possibly even some strong gaff-tape
Drill with at least 8mm bit, possibly 10mm

Instructions:
• Remove all the parts from the Connects2 box

• Using removal tools, or whatever clever method you know, remove the stereo unit carefully.

• Undo 5 screws that hold on the cover under the steering column, and over the footwell (if you aren’t sure which panel, its the one with the OBD diagnostics plug in the middle of it, and you’ve probably banged your shin on it before). Move the panel aside, no need to unclip OBD socket.

• Run the 3.5mm – 2xRCA lead into the dashboard at a location of your choosing, and lower the RCA cords behind the dashboard, making sure they don’t get stuck on something, and stay close to the dashboard.

• This is the external part of the unit, and plugs into your mp3 player, so choose a place for the lead to run from that is convenient and aesthetically pleasing to you. I chose to drill a hole in the back of the coin tray in the instrument cluster surround, where the trip-computer might go, and fed the 3.5mm plug through there. You could also run the 3.5mm lead to the glovebox or out at the bottom of the centre console near the cupholders, it is your choice.

• Climb into drivers footwell and look underneath dashboard. You should be able to see this clear, flat space, shown in the piccie below.

• Connect 2xRCA plug – 3.5mm jack lead to the RCA inputs on Connects2 unit, and connect 6000CD stacker plug – unit plug lead to the other plug on the unit.

• Fit double sided tape to Connects2 box, and stick it onto the flat space. I found that the double sided tape that came with the kit gave way after a while, so some heavy-duty stuff might be worthwhile, or possibly some heavy-duty gaff tape to really stick it down. Fit the Connects2 box as shown in the picture below.

• Run the 6000CD connector lead behind the stereo player location and just drape the cords through the hole on the dashboard where the stereo normally sits.

(For reference, the 6000CD connector lead is the multi-coloured set of leads in the middle of the picture, the shiny grey plastic bit is the slide out ashtray and the orange connectors are for the cigarette lighter)

• On the back of the stereo unit, you should see the green socket connectors, next to the aerial socket. Plug the 6000CD connector that you previously draped through the hole into the green socket connector.

• Reconnect any plugs you removed when taking the stereo unit out, and carefully feed all of the cords back into the dashboard and replace the stereo unit, clicking it into its normal location.

• Re-fit the plastic panel underneath the steering column and above the driver’s footwell.

• And you’re done! Nice and easy like.

I also added a mounting for my Zune, which I keep in a leather flip case that has a belt clip on the back. Take one leather belt, cut a 100mm chunk out of it, and screw into the dashboard.

Now I can fit my unit like so.

This set up allows me to change songs easily on the move, without having to stretch over to the glovebox and inevitably prang my Focus. Which is never good! Conveniently, the cover on the flip case actually rests on the indicator stalk so I can easily change it, or cover it up to stop glare at night.

To operate the unit, just push the 'CD' button twice, then you should see the stereo display a screen like in the last picture, an example would be

CD 1 -- 0 1

00:00

This means the stereo unit is in CD stacker mode, and is receiving sound signals from the auxiliary input unit.

To change back to playing a regular CD, just push the 'CD' button again and it will start playing. If you don't have a CD in the stereo when you push the button, it will stay on CD stacker/Auxiliary mode.

Note that when you turn the stereo off, it almost certainly wont pause or stop you're mp3 player, only full iPod/Zune integration does that, and that cant be had for the factory stereo unit. So make you sure you press pause on the mp3 player when you turn off the stereo, so you dont waste its batteries!

Now we can all easily listen to our music with high quality sound!

I hope this has been a helpful resource for everyone!

Cheers!
Dave
Old 30-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
daveb7
Starter Motor

If anyone is interested, I do actually have one of the Connects2 units spare. A friend asked me to order one for his 2004 Fiesta, but he then pranged it and sold it for more than he paid for it (smart ****...).

So if anyone would like the unit needed to complete this mod, it can be yours for $70.

Just PM me if you're interested.
Optional bodykit
Optional 17 inch wheels
Modifications
Auxiliary Input for 6000CD stereo

1997 Seat Cordoba Alpine
White
Included Spanish-ness translated from German
Included crankiness.

Modifications
Life support
Old 31-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
iztec
Starter Motor

Default Re: Auxiliary Input for LR Focus 6000CD

Due to my Focus being written off, I have a Connects 2 for the LR focus for sale. It's unused as the day I received it (or thereabouts) some fool rear-ended me ending my LR. PM me if you're interested. $30 plus postage.
Cheers
iztec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
jez76
Starter Motor

Default Re: Auxiliary Input for LR Focus 6000CD

Hi mate,

Would've sent this to you as a PM but I'm brand new here and apparently need 5 posts before I can send PM's.

Do you still have this CTVFOX001 for sale? I'm keen to fit it to the Visteon 4050 radio in my 2001 Ford Escape and apparently this is the one I need.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
jez76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post