Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
OnaMission
Starter Motor

Default Speed cameras hailed as road toll falls 10pc

Speed cameras hailed as road toll falls 10pc

Covert speed cameras credited with helping

-QLD and VIC the safest states to be on road
-Australia's holiday road toll is at 44 deaths
-Nationwide campaigns targeting speeding drivers appear to have brought results, with a 10 per cent reduction in road deaths last year.

Overall, 1368 people died in road crashes last year, down 139 from 1507 deaths in 2009.

The introduction of covert speed cameras has been credited with helping reduce Queensland's road toll by a quarter to the lowest level since records began in 1952, with 247 deaths last year compared with 331 in 2009.

Despite booming population growth, Queensland and Victoria are the safest places to be on the roads.

Queensland recorded 18 per cent of the nation's road deaths last year but has 20 per cent of Australia's population.

Victoria has 25 per cent of the population but recorded 21 per cent of national road deaths, with 291 people killed, one up from 2009.

The evidence from Queensland's speed camera changes last year will put pressure on Victoria's new Baillieu government, which made a pre-election pledge to publish daily locations of mobile speed cameras.

A spokesman for Police Minister Peter Ryan said the government was consulting with police about rolling out the changes but it would not come at the expense of public safety.

"There is a wide perception that they have been revenue raisers and we want to regain public confidence in speed cameras," the spokesman said.

Opposition police spokesman James Merlino said the Coalition had to ensure any new initiatives reduced the number of road deaths.

The Northern Territory retains its position as the most deadly place for road accidents, with 3.6 per cent of last year's fatalities but only 1 per cent of the country's population.

The road toll rose from 31 in 2009 to 50 last year, the final two deaths coming from a tragic accident on New Year's Eve that killed two children.

Currently Australia's holiday road toll sits at 44 after a man was killed in a single-car collision in Bathurst yesterday evening.

The 31-year-old male driver was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to Orange Base Hospital with minor injuries.

His passenger, a 22-year-old Mount Druitt man, died at the scene.

His death takes the NSW holiday toll to nine.

The death was one of four yesterday, with one in Queensland and two in Victoria.

Police said a cyclist in his twenties was killed in a single-vehicle accident at Booroobin, near Maleny, on the Sunshine Coast hinterland, taking the Queensland toll to 12 for the holiday period.

Earlier, the death of a 53-year-old cyclist at Drysdale, south-west of Melbourne and the death of a man in a hit-run at Bendigo pushed Victoria's Christmas holiday road toll 16.

Three people have died in the Northern Territory and Western Australia, while Tasmania has recorded one fatality.

South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory remain fatality free.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING: AAP

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/spee...#ixzz19vUu6fGR

Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
05_ENFORCER

South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory must have millions of covert cameras if they have been fatality free
Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What else are they going to say?
While it's a very welcome statistic, it just gave them a free ride to promote the unsubstantiated notion that speed cameras were solely responsible.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
coolozzieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
What else are they going to say?
While it's a very welcome statistic, it just gave them a free ride to promote the unsubstantiated notion that speed cameras were solely responsible.
Exactly.

Link

^^^^

I always think of this when I hear another report about speed\road safety cameras are the only cause of preventing crashes...
Shorter UltraRide shocks to suit F/R.
30mm Whiteline Swaybar.

2010 TB Hyundai Getz. 4dr, 5sp Manual, 1.6L.
Enough Said.

Boggo October 2014 WZ Fiesta ST, Spirit Blue.
Gives me Wiiiiiiiiiiiiings!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolozzieguy
Exactly.

Link

^^^^

I always think of this when I hear another report about speed\road safety cameras are the only cause of preventing crashes...

Lol that video is spot on.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

So less people travelling last year makes up nothing to this statistic? there was less people travelling around as funds were a problem for alot of people, add the increased fuel prices again and higher interest rates, and there is simply less money to use for travelling...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoSR
So less people travelling last year makes up nothing to this statistic? there was less people travelling around as funds were a problem for alot of people, add the increased fuel prices again and higher interest rates, and there is simply less money to use for travelling...
What about people buying newer cars as well?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaMission
Currently Australia's holiday road toll sits at 44 after a man was killed in a single-car collision in Bathurst yesterday evening.

The 31-year-old male driver was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to Orange Base Hospital with minor injuries.

His passenger, a 22-year-old Mount Druitt man, died at the scene.

His death takes the NSW holiday toll to nine.
http://mt-druitt-standard.whereilive...lled-in-crash/

Quote:
A MT Druitt man has been killed in a single-vehicle crash near Bathurst last night. At about 6.15pm, a white Ford Falcon was travelling east on the Mitchell Highway between Orange and Bathurst in the Macquarie Woods region when it lost control and crashed. The 22-year-old Mt Druitt man died at the scene and a 31-year-old male driver was taken to Orange Base Hospital with minor injuries. It is believed the driver of the Ford was turning left, approximately 2km west of Vittoria Rd, when he lost control of the vehicle. Police say the car spun out of control and veered off the northern side of the road before rolling several times. An off-duty police officer, who was driving through the area, discovered the crash and tried to help the occupants. The highway was closed until 11pm while the scene was examined. Investigations are continuing and police will prepare a report for the Coroner.
Nothing stating speed was a factor, let alone the use of Speed Camera's in that area even being used... another fail statistic!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
What about people buying newer cars as well?
Working for a dealership, from memory there was only 1 person who bought his vehicle out right... all the rest were financed, company, lease or government...
Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoSR
Yep Mr and Mrs Jones probably accumulated to many points driving the kids to school and back/shops/maccas/newsagents/doctors/chemists/ballet classes/football...

So because they have no points left or any spare cash from paying fines for being 10k over the speed limit perhaps.. they stay home.

Less chance of becoming a fatigue statistic i suppose when you cant afford a trip away ??
Old 03-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since the introduction of speed cameras, I've stopped dying on the roads.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

No mention of the following which also contribute to reducing the road toll:

Improvements to roads
Removal of accident blackspots
New cars with superior primary and secondary safety systems replacing old cars
New cars with superior crash test standards replacing old cars.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
F6T
Has V8 envy

Lies. Damn lies. Statistics. They can be twisted to say anything you want.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
Old 03-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Since the introduction of speed cameras, I've stopped dying on the roads.
So there's the downside.

While this thread is of course:

Anyone with half a brain can see the statistics are purposefully (or negligently) misleading by not showing the entire picture.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
F6T
Has V8 envy

Lies. Damn lies. Statistics. They can be twisted to say anything you want.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
Old 03-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

what a load of *****...

3 big factors this year were;

1 less money to go around
2 Crazy weather turned off people from travelling.
3 espec with the high aussie dollar its so much cheaper to go overseas than anywhere in oz alot of ppl i know who would normally drive somewhere have gone overseas this year, if i did not have a 2 year old so would I

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Goebbels would be proud of this propaganda.

Wasn't Victoria's road toll higher than it was last year? I know it was for most of the year.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #18
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Yep Mr and Mrs Jones probably accumulated to many points driving the kids to school and back/shops/maccas/newsagents/doctors/chemists/ballet classes/football...

So because they have no points left or any spare cash from paying fines for being 10k over the speed limit perhaps.. they stay home.

Less chance of becoming a fatigue statistic i suppose when you cant afford a trip away ??
well it sure is the way i feel... hehe!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

A fine in the post two weeks after the idiot with a death wish was photographed speeding 60kph over the limit, and caused a death has prevented it?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #20
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

i would love to know tassies driving population, given that there is a hot thread on reducing the speed limit over there and the fact that they have halved their road toll since '09. top effort how did they do it!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #21
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

NT - sure, but look at its size.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 04-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #22
burnz
VFII SS UTE

if i take a stab at QLD tolls, would it be fair to say that holiday's less cars on the road due to flooding?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #23
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

have they included the 10 people who have died in cars washed off flooded roads in the past few weeks as part of the road toll ??????

if not, why.
it seems to me that driving through floodways is more of a problem at the moment then driving 10km over the limit. shouldn`t they be setting up the camera cars at these dangerous flooded road areas to discourage the fools from atempting a crossing and iether getting washed away or a big fine.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 04-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Goebbels would be proud of this propaganda.

Wasn't Victoria's road toll higher than it was last year? I know it was for most of the year.
Was up to November then there was a lull and it came to the same as last year (well 1 less).

Anyway we look at it the government will keep putting these things in because they now need the money. If speed cameras were saving lives then they would use them in actual black spots....unfortunately in Vic only 4 of the top 20 black spots have cameras...yet these vile things are popping up everywhere.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #25
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory must have millions of covert cameras if they have been fatality free
Pretty sure Canberra has more mobile speed vans/cars then nsw right now....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 04-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #26
bungarra

C'mon Guys, a big for the government for proving they are saving our lives
Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #27
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Comparing this year to last is pointless without answers to these questions:

Were there more or less cars on the road ?
Were there more or less kilometers traveled ?
Were the drivers more or less experienced ?
Were there more or less non fatal accidents ?
Was the weather better or worse ?
Were average traveling speeds higher or lower ?
Were there more or less fines handed out ?
Were the cars involved older or newer ?
Was the timing of the typical holiday driving days favourable or unfavourable ?
Was speed a cause (not simply a factor) in more or less of the fatal and non fatal accidents ?
Was illegal speed a factor in more or less of the fatal and non fatal accidents ?
Has the average ANCAP rating of the cars involved in all accidents improved or worsened ?

Most of these factors are ascertainable, and definitely relevant before proclaiming a success.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #28
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Comparing this year to last is pointless without answers to these questions:

Were there more or less cars on the road ?
Were there more or less kilometers traveled ?
Were the drivers more or less experienced ?
Were there more or less non fatal accidents ?
Was the weather better or worse ?
Were average traveling speeds higher or lower ?
Were there more or less fines handed out ?
Were the cars involved older or newer ?
Was the timing of the typical holiday driving days favourable or unfavourable ?
Was speed a cause (not simply a factor) in more or less of the fatal and non fatal accidents ?
Was illegal speed a factor in more or less of the fatal and non fatal accidents ?
Has the average ANCAP rating of the cars involved in all accidents improved or worsened ?

Most of these factors are ascertainable, and definitely relevant before proclaiming a success.
Don't let facts get in the way of poor but politically favourable statistics.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #29
prydey
Rob

the way i see it, vic have the highest no. of speed camera's and yet their road toll was actually up 1 from 2009. how do they then come to the conclusion that its supporting the speed camera arguement? and that its safer?

also, as pointed out, the statistics don't show which deaths were soley as a result of speed, and to be more specific - speeding!

the amount of money they spend on the speed camera network, they will do whatever they can to justify their useage.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #30
Fled74
The Thread Killa

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/blo...sk?origin=hpc2

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Closed Thread