Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #4771
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Had the wifes side of the family, 14 people, over for Christmas dinner last night.
A bit warm, turn on the air con, nothing, great.
It working just fine day before.
All sorted, the inlet valve has a diaphragm, it had packed it in.
Went to the air con shop, $34, bargain.
The old one had a mesh filter in it, all blocked up and corroded, no wonder the pads were never getting really wet, much more efficient now.
Old 20-12-2022, 01:05 PM   #4772
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
All sorted, the inlet valve has a diaphragm, it had packed it in.
Went to the air con shop, $34, bargain.
The old one had a mesh filter in it, all blocked up and corroded, no wonder the pads were never getting really wet, much more efficient now.
My evaporative cooler shat itself last summer, solid state relay in controller box burnt out, but I was lucky as the initial quote for new controller was between $750 to $950, I managed to pick up a refurbished one for $150.
I count myself lucky of getting put onto the right guy for parts.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2022, 03:54 PM   #4773
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

After a couple of years of collecting my soft plastic waste to trawl off to the supermarket during one of my weekly shops, it's REALLY hard to now just put that into the general waste bin.

I've also noted the volume that extra soft plastic takes up. It soon adds up! I've almost gone from having a less than half full general waste wheelie bin each week to having a nearly full one.

Really hope industry can get something sorted to start that recycling stream again. And soon!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2022, 04:04 PM   #4774
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
After a couple of years of collecting my soft plastic waste to trawl off to the supermarket during one of my weekly shops, it's REALLY hard to now just put that into the general waste bin.

I've also noted the volume that extra soft plastic takes up. It soon adds up! I've almost gone from having a less than half full general waste wheelie bin each week to having a nearly full one.

Really hope industry can get something sorted to start that recycling stream again. And soon!
How can 1or 2 people possibly accumulate that much plastic unless they individually put every single piece of fruit and veg into a plastic bag
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2022, 04:28 PM   #4775
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Most annoying is those soft plastic trays everything like meat is coming in now.
Consider myself lucky to have several good fresh butchers to buy from but occasional get stuck having to buy meat at a supermarket selling this packaged stuff.
On a good note its been 12 weeks now since I vowed never to go into another Woolworth store.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2022, 04:47 PM   #4776
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
How can 1or 2 people possibly accumulate that much plastic unless they individually put every single piece of fruit and veg into a plastic bag
I actually don't buy that much fruit and veg (and I don't put them into soft plastic bags anyway), so my source of soft plastics does not come from what you've assumed.

Nearly everything you buy has some form of soft plastic on it: biscuit packets, lolly packets, chip packets, the dog's dry food, the dog's chunky meat (hard plastic tray that gets recycled, soft plastic cover), bread bags, shredded cheese bags, my bacon (again, hard plastic tray, soft plastic cover), toilet paper packaging, plastic satchels for parcels, etc. I could go on, but I think you get the drift. Far more than just the clear bags in the fruit/veg section of your local supermarket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
Most annoying is those soft plastic trays everything like meat is coming in now.
Consider myself lucky to have several good fresh butchers to buy from but occasional get stuck having to buy meat at a supermarket selling this packaged stuff.
On a good note its been 12 weeks now since I vowed never to go into another Woolworth store.
Most of those trays, from my experience, are either styrofoam (which can't be placed into either hard plastic or soft plastic recycling bins) or hard plastics. The hard plastics ones I wash at the end of my dish wash each night and they go into the hard plastic recycling bin.

My local butchers uses both a styrofoam tray AND a plastic bag to wrap it in , so they're not much better than the supermarkets really. Although their food is a better standard, that's for sure.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2022, 05:04 PM   #4777
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I actually don't buy that much fruit and veg (and I don't put them into soft plastic bags anyway), so my source of soft plastics does not come from what you've assumed.

Nearly everything you buy has some form of soft plastic on it: biscuit packets, lolly packets, chip packets, the dog's dry food, the dog's chunky meat (hard plastic tray that gets recycled, soft plastic cover), bread bags, shredded cheese bags, my bacon (again, hard plastic tray, soft plastic cover), toilet paper packaging, plastic satchels for parcels, etc. I could go on, but I think you get the drift. Far more than just the clear bags in the fruit/veg section of your local supermarket!

Most of those trays, from my experience, are either styrofoam (which can't be placed into either hard plastic or soft plastic recycling bins) or hard plastics. The hard plastics ones I wash at the end of my dish wash each night and they go into the hard plastic recycling bin.

My local butchers uses both a styrofoam tray AND a plastic bag to wrap it in , so they're not much better than the supermarkets really. Although their food is a better standard, that's for sure.
Yep styrofoam that's the horrid stuff.
My butchers know not to put anything I buy in or on plastic, usually will give them a clean sheet of baking paper to first wrap the meat them normal butchers paper. One guy already uses baking (oven) paper.
The butchers paper I'll reuse for paint masking or shred it along with the grease proof stuff into the compost or under the gumtree leaf mulch.

The odd occasion where I'll get the hard plastic ones, a quick wash and they make good parts or paint trays.

3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2022, 12:12 PM   #4778
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s not often I bump the trimmer head to feed it, but for whatever reason I did once this morning. Need to look more carefully first - I splodged it straight on top of a landmine.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2022, 12:23 PM   #4779
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Lovely......

2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #4780
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s not often I bump the trimmer head to feed it, but for whatever reason I did once this morning. Need to look more carefully first - I splodged it straight on top of a landmine.
I read that as the **** hit the fan.....
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #4781
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

where are the pics
Old 21-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #4782
marty351
Shenanigans..............

That's gold!
But not as bad a mowing over a dry mine and being immersed in a white cloud.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #4783
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
where are the pics
The one that would have been photo/video worthy was me yabbering away while pushing an eel down a ripe sewer. Which suddenly blew back quite spectacularly.

Moral of the story? Don’t talk more than absolutely necessary when unblocking a pipe.
7 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2022, 09:14 PM   #4784
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I applied for a promotion and made it to interview. I was hoping to hear one way or the other before going on leave and failing that, the end of the year but no dice.

I'm going to be really ****ed off if I get back from leave going through my emails and one of them is says I didn't make the cut.

So my thinking is I prefer to take the L before I come back but nope. I hate that!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2022, 08:08 PM   #4785
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mouth opened or closed??

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 24-12-2022, 11:01 PM   #4786
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Closed!
3 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2022, 10:52 AM   #4787
Itsme
Experienced Member

Had a great Xmas day yesterday but unfortunately today I'm paying for it with the overindulgence in food & alcohol, when will I ever learn.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2022, 12:13 PM   #4788
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Had a great Xmas day yesterday but unfortunately today I'm paying for it with the overindulgence in food & alcohol, when will I ever learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
I know exactly what you saying …but when I am called upon for that odd job I do say to myself "well Pete you still got it" who says self praise is vanity
At least nobody here is saying “I told you so!”… Much! Your posts are often good reading.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 26-12-2022 at 12:18 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2022, 07:38 PM   #4789
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Supercheap, giving you loyalty credits the day after their one-day sale. If they think that deviousness is a way to consolidate their customer base, the wrong people are running it.
Old 27-12-2022, 11:35 PM   #4790
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Supercheap, giving you loyalty credits the day after their one-day sale. If they think that deviousness is a way to consolidate their customer base, the wrong people are running it.
I got an email from SC today, they're giving me a $15 credit because something I bought last week is now on sale, happy with that.
Old 28-12-2022, 10:21 AM   #4791
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I got an email from SC today, they're giving me a $15 credit because something I bought last week is now on sale, happy with that.

$16.50 yesterday!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2022, 10:45 AM   #4792
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Mine was only $12.50 :-(

Then again I picked up $10 in credit at Jaycar last Thursday without expecting it. Spent more there recently than Supercrap. But I’ll now get the HPR5 through Repco on the workshop account.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2022, 02:11 PM   #4793
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I got a 20% discount last week on Penrite 20W 60, sale + trade card discount.

Old 29-12-2022, 12:15 AM   #4794
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you are queuing in a merging lane, and that merging lane is about 1km long, and an impatient driver drives up the outside and then cuts in.

Yesterday, on the Sydney M2, heading into the NorthConnex tunnel to Newcastle, a very nice white VE Commodore with 00 BROK number plates, drives down the outside of the waiting traffic, puts his Commodore about a metre in front of me, and hopes I will have some Xmas spirit and let him in.
No way, as we are moving at about 5kmh, I lean on the horn, and refuse to budge, and his passenger door is getting very close to my front guard. My thoughts are, he is in the wrong trying to merge from a through lane, a front guard and bumper for a Territory is worth less than a guard and door for a VE, and he wouldn't want his very nice VE with Ford paint on it.
He got the message, and forced his way in a couple of cars back.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2022, 12:23 PM   #4795
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I think it’s an age thing?
Years ago, yep I’d have done exactly the same. Nowadays I couldn’t give two hoots and will gladly let em in… And with a smile and a wave.
Don’t fret the little stuff mate…
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2022, 12:55 PM   #4796
.:4:.
Kicking back

I personally think people who knowingly drive up the lane that ends and expect someone to let them in are plain arrogant. If other people can indicate and merge over before the lane is completely done, then why cannot everybody.
One thing my dad used to say. So he was a director of a large company so when it came to meetings and such, quite important. He was always 5 minutes early to everything because what he said was. The people who are always late feel that they are more important then others, even if they are not. This was sorta confirmed years later.
So i was working on site electricianing stuff and the owner of the builders was onsite for a site meeting. Meeting over and he started fitting the ally skirting boards. So i asked him why if he was on site for a meeting is he now fitting skirting boards? Is that not a job for the apprentice? His response was humble as. So whilst its a crap job thats not difficult, he liked to show that whilst he spent a lot of time doing paperwork to run the business, he was not above any employee and was still willing to do the **** jobs.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2022, 12:57 PM   #4797
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats the fun part, little toot on the horn big smile and wave them in, they get really concerned what the hell is going on.
Had one guy trying to push in, did the welcome in and he quickly backed out.
Old 29-12-2022, 01:05 PM   #4798
marty351
Shenanigans..............

^^^ This.
Pushing in while everyone else is waiting patiently bugs everyone except the culprit. You even took the time to type a whole paragraph to vent out of your mind.
I just allow the gap in front to open slowly, allowing a slow merge thus helping prevent queue jumpers further behind getting even further ahead slowing down the crawl even more.

Life has enough to think about than give any more thought to these little inconveniences.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2022, 01:10 PM   #4799
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
When you are queuing in a merging lane, and that merging lane is about 1km long, and an impatient driver drives up the outside and then cuts in.

Yesterday, on the Sydney M2, heading into the NorthConnex tunnel to Newcastle, a very nice white VE Commodore with 00 BROK number plates, drives down the outside of the waiting traffic, puts his Commodore about a metre in front of me, and hopes I will have some Xmas spirit and let him in.
No way, as we are moving at about 5kmh, I lean on the horn, and refuse to budge, and his passenger door is getting very close to my front guard. My thoughts are, he is in the wrong trying to merge from a through lane, a front guard and bumper for a Territory is worth less than a guard and door for a VE, and he wouldn't want his very nice VE with Ford paint on it.
He got the message, and forced his way in a couple of cars back.

there's a short road over here that's known for it....... have even seen one speed up to squeeze in..

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
^^^ This.
Pushing in while everyone else is waiting patiently bugs everyone except the culprit. You even took the time to type a whole paragraph to vent out of your mind.
I just allow the gap in front to open slowly, allowing a slow merge thus helping prevent queue jumpers further behind getting even further ahead slowing down the crawl even more.

Life has enough to think about than give any more thought to these little inconveniences.

i hate people pushing in ........ had an AU do that in a single lane down here...
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #4800
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
I think it’s an age thing?
Years ago, yep I’d have done exactly the same. Nowadays I couldn’t give two hoots and will gladly let em in… And with a smile and a wave.
Don’t fret the little stuff mate…
Don't know about the age thing and letting them in, I do try to take your approach but these days there is more and more of these so called self-entitled arrogant mongrels pushing their way in as if they own the roads, I think I'm losing my patience as I grow old as these queue jumpers do really p*** me off.