Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Gone in 60 seconds... literally !

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11533005

Quote:
$165,000 Jaguar XFR gone in 60 seconds: How brazen thief stole luxury model from caryard

After strolling casually on to a luxury car yard in broad daylight, a man is believed to have used a device to override keyless car technology and steal a $165,000 Jaguar in 60 seconds.

Police are investigating the theft of the silver Jaguar XFR from Beacham Independent Jaguar and Range Rover dealership in Penrose, Auckland, on Monday afternoon.

CCTV footage shows a man who the car retailers believe is behind the high-tech heist walking on to the car lot at 2.55pm with his hand in his pocket, before somehow unlocking the car and driving off.

"It's like Gone in 60 Seconds and it was actually 60 seconds. He walked up and a minute later the car had gone," said manager Andrew Beacham, referencing the car-heist action film.

Mr Beacham said the car was locked and the dealership still had its keys.

"The car was locked and we can confirm that because the CCTV shows it with its wing mirrors folded. He's walked up to the car and has got in, and driven away."

The man was not known to the dealership, and his ability to override the robust security systems had left staff baffled.

"This guy is a professional, it's sophisticated. It's something that has been organised. It's not your everyday car theft.

"We never heard anything and only realised an hour later ... that the car was missing.

"The CCTV shows him speeding off down Great South Rd in broad daylight."

Keyless car technology works when a device containing a chip - usually a small disc - is encrypted with a unique code syncing it to a vehicle. It only needs to be near the car to unlock it, and inside the vehicle to start the engine.

Each device is encrypted to one specific vehicle and connects only to that car using a radio frequency.

Queensland University of Technology Computer Science and Information Security senior lecturer Dr Ernest Foo said keyless cars were most vulnerable to theft after they left the factory and before they were in an owner's hands.

"What we are finding is that hackers are trying to access or pick the supply chain because it is easier before a particular system has been connected. Before someone owns it and while it is still in the factory settings - that is the weak point."

Dr Foo said he was not able to comment on the specifics of the Auckland case, but it was likely the thief used a factory key rather than a scanning device that would have to be programmed to the specific code of the system it was hacking.

There were reports of similar thefts in Europe and the US last year, but Dr Foo had not heard of such incidents in Australasia.

An Auckland City Police spokeswoman said the complaint was being investigated.

Mr Beacham said there were reported sightings of the car - which had dealership licence plates - heading over the Harbour Bridge and being driven in the Upper Harbour area on Tuesday morning.
Wow is this common, never heard of it before ?
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Gone in 60 seconds... literally !

He had keys, any hacked entry and engine start solution would have required far more time.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This has been going on for some time - eg: http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...eyless-locking

Happy to retain a key, and glad that's what new Falcons still come with.
Means one less thing to worry about.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Keyless entry is by no means a new thing for some manufacturers and I doubt those vehicles with it are stolen at a larger rate than those still using coded keys.

I’m happy to be corrected with stats if they're available.

Professionals steal cars at will.

Being able to easily circumvent security systems is why they are called professionals.

Keyless entry is just another system finding its way into massed produced vehicles to provide the owners with ease of use, I don’t recall reading or hearing it being touted as some you beaut improved security system.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
CCTV footage shows a man who the car retailers believe is behind the high-tech heist walking on to the car lot at 2.55pm with his hand in his pocket, before somehow unlocking the car and driving off.
Got to say I am with the dealership on this one - I too suspect the guy that stole it is the one that CCTV shows walk up, unlock it, start it then drive it away - but I am also happy to concede my suspicion is based solely on the footage that shows him stealing it.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
He had keys, any hacked entry and engine start solution would have required far more time.
Not really, ive seen a few Focus RS/ST in the UK gone in the same way, in a similar time frame captured on CCTV.
It seems ST/RS focus are targeted a lot for some reason.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
bbbero

I read an article a while back about thieves stealing cars with the keyless entry/start, but the way it was happening was actually quite worrying because of its relative simplicity!
depending on the car ofcourse, the thieves used a device which amplifies the signal of the fob, so the car thinks that the device the thieves have, is the real thing, giving them access and ability to start the vehicle, then they take off!!
bbbero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbero View Post
I read an article a while back about thieves stealing cars with the keyless entry/start, but the way it was happening was actually quite worrying because of its relative simplicity!
depending on the car ofcourse, the thieves used a device which amplifies the signal of the fob, so the car thinks that the device the thieves have, is the real thing, giving them access and ability to start the vehicle, then they take off!!
Similar technology has been around for yonks, it works on all central locking alarm based entry systems.

I had a Torana stolen 20 years ago by two fellows sitting in a nearby car who scanned my alarm central locking system when I turned it on then throw the signal back and unlocked it.

I think people are worrying about nothing.

Cars are going to be stolen and if my number comes up I for one would rather them beat the security system as opposed to being hit on the head and having the key taken from my body.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might have inspired these geniuses: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1227579059175

Quote:
New-model Commodore SS stolen during Holden training at Mallala Raceway

A MAN and a woman have been arrested after a brand-new Series II VF Commodore SS was stolen in front of Holden staff, who were using it for a training session at Mallala Raceway.

Holden officials were demonstrating the new model Commodore SS when a woman drove on to the circuit about 11.30am in a Holden Cruze.

Her male passenger got out, climbed into the driver’s seat of the Commodore, which still had keys in the ignition, and drove out of the complex.

Startled witnesses held the woman until police arrived, and the 28-year-old from Two Wells was arrested and charged with driving disqualified and will appear in Elizabeth Magistrates Court on December 3.

Police found the man at a Para Hills home just after 10pm last night and arrested the 25-year-old over the theft.

The stolen car was later found at Fairview Park with no apparent damage and is now held at Elizabeth police station.

Holden spokesman Sean Poppitt said the pair had no known association with the company.

“We’re glad the car was recovered, great work by the police,” he said.

The Salisbury Heights man was charged with illegal use and breach of bail. He was refused bail and will appear in the Elizabeth Magistrates Court today.
Maybe a mixup over free loan car?
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #10
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Similar technology has been around for yonks, it works on all central locking alarm based entry systems.

I had a Torana stolen 20 years ago by two fellows sitting in a nearby car who scanned my alarm central locking system when I turned it on then throw the signal back and unlocked it.

I think people are worrying about nothing.

Cars are going to be stolen and if my number comes up I for one would rather them beat the security system as opposed to being hit on the head and having the key taken from my body.
There was a documentary called american underworld that had a car rebirthers segment, literally 30-40 seconds to steal a car and have it sold off in under 24 hours.
Old 25-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Gotta say it, even though i always say the same thing about car theft.
If they want your car they WILL take it, and to be honest id rather them steal it as opposed to bopping me on the head and taking it, or not being able to steal it because of killswitches and the likes and then they crack the ***** and smash the car leaving a bill of damage. At least if it gets stolen i straight up get an insurance payout for it, even though its inconvenient, id rather that than coming out and seeing my car all smashed up in the morning.

I am thoroughly impressed with people who can beat security systems though.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Jag was found abandoned a day later
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Thats a whole lot of expense and risk and potential jail time for a joyride.....
Old 26-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Interesting article in the paper today.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/on...-1227582392770
Old 26-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #15
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

So I'll keep my keys in the freezer or wrap them in tin foil 24/7. Sounds practical hahaha
Old 26-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #16
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very interesting read might have to get a tin foiled box now
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #17
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza91 View Post
Thats a whole lot of expense and risk and potential jail time for a joyride.....
They were probably trying to sell it off but found out they had too much heat so they dumped it.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #18
moneypit

Actually that tin foil idea is a good one. The hack is a very simple amplification method (So any old scrote can do it as long as he has the right tools) which amplifies the signal coming to and going to your keyfob and tricks it into thinking that it is near-to your car. So putting it into a tin box when you are finished with the car at night is a great idea.

I would use an old tea or biscuit tin though.

Just don't forget where you put your keys at night, chances are that you will forget where they are and get into a panic about where you put them.

This won't however prevent a theft if they are sitting out the front of your house and jump into your car while you are walking into your house.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cell-Phon...r/192058218373
Just stick your car keyfob into this and it will be safe.

I would recommend getting one of those phone RF shield pouches and stick your keys in those right after you get out of your car. This is great too for when you are going into the shops because you cannot walk around in a store carrying a biscuit tin with you. (or maybe you can?) You might get nabbed for trying to nick some of grandmas bikkies.

This is a genuine method of protecting against this attack. Just remember that they keyfob MUST be in one of these pouches and surrounded by the metallic fabric or else it wont work.

And no sticking the keyfob in an old packet of crisps wont work, the foil is too weak on chip packets.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2017, 05:22 PM   #19
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
The things people will do to get an extended test drive!
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #20
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was working in a used car lot many years ago and one day the cops rang and asked if we owned a car with the registration number xxxx and the boss checked the books and said yes do you want to buy it? No said the cop but if you want to pick it up it's been in our stolen car holding yard for a week. LOL
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #21
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Could be stolen to fill an order and the client backed out
just like Gone in 60 secs.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza91 View Post
So I'll keep my keys in the freezer or wrap them in tin foil 24/7. Sounds practical hahaha
other ideas is put the key in Marlo tin with top on or place in stainless food tray with stainless lid or ever in cast iron cooking pot that other ideas too
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post