Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2005, 11:51 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Snake Oil! About oil additives

There are all sorts of info on oil additives, about whether they work or not. It's a hard one to prove, I've read all sorts of reports , and from those reports I'd have to sway to the side that says additives are not required.
But then there are the people that have used them and swear by them, and these are not sales people, I'm talking about people I meet everyday.

But when a company that sells one of these additives threatens to sue if an article about additives is not removed from a web site I get suspicious.

The web site is Neptune and the legal talk is here; http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/legal/oiladd.html

If you want to read the article before it is totaly banned, go here;
Snake Oil: Is that Additive Really A Negative?
http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_additive.htm

johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My FORD owners manual states " do not use fuel or oil additives"
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
luke

three words: lucas oil stabilizer

luke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIFERSUCHT
I've used that & similar products in old worn engines, diff's, trans, etc. But never again in something in good nik. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

The only one i have ever used, is FRC by Uniglide that goes in the oil. It isn't an oil additive, but rather a friction reducing compound(FRC) for the metal. It's not like the Lucas and Morey additives, but acually treats the metals, and is still there after an oilchange.
2V powahhhhh
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
BigDoubleu
Starter Motor

-=`p
3qwe
'
BigDoubleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdclevo
The only one i have ever used, is FRC by Uniglide that goes in the oil. It isn't an oil additive, but rather a friction reducing compound(FRC) for the metal. It's not like the Lucas and Morey additives, but acually treats the metals, and is still there after an oilchange.
Do you work for the marketing dept of an oil additive company.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I just read through that article; very interesting reading. So my question is - where does this now leave the new Nulon oils with their "AAT" (Advanced addative technology)?

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke

one word: BITRON
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Over here we use EF. Eliminates Friction. sounds corny but from the testing by Perth Street car mag works..
Anyone got any info on Roil??..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I'm one who definitely does not agree with any additives made available for users to add to their engine oil.

And as Bushbasher mentions, where does that leave Nulon with their AAT additives? How much testing have they done to ensure no possibility of potential problems?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

+1 for not using additives. oil companies spend a lot of money on developing their oil, only for some people to go and stick some other product in as well, having no idea how it will react with the ingredients in the oil they use. most of the time, whats in the additive will already be in the oil!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Funny thing is that ALL oils have additives in them from the manufacturer.
Oil stabilizers , friction modifiers , anti caking agents etc etc.......

The issue with adding additional additives is that it can unbalance the oil and make it more alkaline or acidic etc etc.......Like a good steak with salt already in the marinade and then you go and drown it with additional salt because you weren't aware that there was salt in the mix in the 1st place !!!!!!!!!.........You can end up ruining a perfectly good product.

IMHO..............Best bet is to stay clear of any additives.

Stick with a good quality oil in the right weight for the intended application with regular changes ( including filter change )............and you can't really go wrong.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

The issue with adding additional additives is that it can unbalance the oil and make it more alkaline or acidic etc etc.......Like a good steak with salt already in the marinade and then you go and drown it with additional salt because you weren't aware that there was salt in the mix in the 1st place !!!!!!!!!.........You can end up ruining a perfectly good product.

IMHO..............Best bet is to stay clear of any additives.

Stick with a good quality oil in the right weight for the intended application with regular changes ( including filter change )............and you can't really go wrong.
[interesting analogy] but yeah, I'll second that.

If you use quality oil and reasonable quality filters, change them regularly and spend a minute or so warming the car up before you tear off down the road in a cloud of angry...then realistically you should not need ANY additives or treatments.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
robertjp

Used to use Nulon in my old ZH, and the was no frothing and the oil looked like new when I did to oil change.

How many people kept on using the lucas additive, after noticing the frothing. What would the salesman say?
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #16
davids_gxl

A quality oil and filter change every 10,xxx is all u need,my au has done over 374,xxx and i use no additives.
davids_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I threw a 'Lifter quietener' in and now got oil leaks from sump and i maybe even rear main.......And it stopped the noisy lifter for about a week lol!
Can't beat quality oil!!! Altho the Morey's is for a dif purpose of minimising friction really...
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
I threw a 'Lifter quietener' in and now got oil leaks from sump and i maybe even rear main.......And it stopped the noisy lifter for about a week lol!
Can't beat quality oil!!! Altho the Morey's is for a dif purpose of minimising friction really...
Most additives thicken your oil so I don't think you can blame them for additional leaks.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #19
gazza414

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Correct, the big oil labels all buy their "additive packs" from only a few suppliers around the world. They all mix and match to potentially provide an oil to suit an application(s) how they see fit

the oil companies supply the base oils only.
Old 15-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
Most additives thicken your oil so I don't think you can blame them for additional leaks.
You can if the chemicals in the additives react with the seal or gaskets. Early AU's which got the Sturaco anti chatter additive had to have the pinion seal changed for this reason.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #21
MaTTe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

svo347: have you used the new version of EF, Microglide?
I understand many people are sceptical of oil addatives, as there are alot of products on the market.
My Grandad has been working on heavy machinery of many sorts for 70 years++, and there are only a few addatives he swears by. he has built himself a pressure wheel - it gauges accurately the pressure it takes to make the wheel stop.
Your finger resting on the handle will stop the wheel near on instantly.
Most oils - regardless of price or quality will stop at 25-30ft/lbs.
Redline race oils have gone as high as 35-40ft/lbs.
All of these will scar the lifter used in the test.
PROMA (Grandad's preferred choice for MANY MANY years) will instantly protect the lifter, and make the wheel unstoppable. at 120ft/lbs the handle is bending and the horrible screeching that occurs with all standard motor oils is nonexistant.
EF (as used by svo347 - wise man!) takes a little longer to completely remove the screech, but will instantly protect the lifter like the PROMA, and again the wheel is unstoppable over 120ft/lbs. After 15-20 seconds the screeching is gone completely and you cannot physically stop the wheel.
With these two the lifter is 100% unmarked.
Microglide is the new version of EF. We've been using Microglide for the best part of the last 2-3 years. It is essentially the same as the EF, it's just been refined slightly in terms of maximum operating temeratures (2000 deg F++) plus a few other things to improve the product.
Microglide works exactly the same as the EF on the pressure wheel too.

I can go into more detail to explain the products if anyone likes, but the more I say the more i sound like a salesman..
The proof is in the use. We use it in the race car, all street cars, gearboxes, non LSDs, hydraulics, etc.
Once you've used it, you realise what you've been missing.

This being said, MANY other addatives have been tested on this pressure wheel and failed miserably.

A bit of food for thought
Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #22
Simon_Koala
Starter Motor ?

Where do you buy this Microglide from ?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #23
AdsHEAT
Ford Man

wow, this post is really timely, i don't have a choke on my 68 302w, so warming it up means that i need to rev it a bit, and when it's cold it makes a hell of a tapping befrtoe the oil starts to do it's job.. i have used heaps of Lucas products with great benefits before (their power steering and autotrans repair stuff and their Fuel Treatment) so i was about to use the lucas oil stabaliser.. but after looking at that link (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm) i really don't want to do that!!
AdsHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #24
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a bad tapping noise in my little proton runabout. It only existed when cold. It has 350 000k's on it. I change oil and filter every 7500k's. I tried a few additives until i found one that made the noise go instantly. It was nulon worn engine treatment. I have used this every oil change since and it is a quiet as a mouse cold or hot. I haven't done any scientific tests but this one product worked.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #25
AdsHEAT
Ford Man

fair enough, might be worth a try..
AdsHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Over here we use EF. Eliminates Friction. sounds corny but from the testing by Perth Street car mag works..
Anyone got any info on Roil??..
i started using Roil oil a couple of weeks ago, not enough time to give any real feed back but one thing i will say is my distance to empty on a full tank of juice has gone up, i did a trip to geelong from melb nth during the week , used the ring road medium traffic struck a few slow patches, anyway at the end of the run i calculated with km`s travelled and dte left on display holy ---- 920 k`s, i can say in all honesty in 4 years i`ve had my au on any economy test i`ve done about 800 is about the max dte,( i might add i filled up the same way/ filled at same servo as always) so at this stage the stuff is looking good it sounds a lot like Microglide mentioned, i`m going to put some in the diff on the weekend (the lsd is knackered anyway), i would like to mix some with the wheel bearing grease if they were`nt sealed, it does mention adding some to the auto oil i`ll try it out a little more and see how it goes.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Snake oil.. Wouldnt touch the stuff with a ten foot snake.. ha ha.. Pottery
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #28
Simon_Koala
Starter Motor ?

Then you miss out on the benefits then I guess ....
Old 06-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #29
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Koala
Then you miss out on the benefits then I guess ....
Naahhh.. Just a firm believer that oil companys spend millions.. probly billions in developing their products.. additives etc are already in their products so that they can DO THE JOB.. dont believe the hype about this crap i reckon!!!! Just regular oil n filter changes for me thanks.. Pottery
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #30
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Re: Roil -

IMO, if this stuff is as good as it appears then the question of cost v savings becomes the issue I think. If it has to be added at every oil change then it effectively doubles the cost of that oil change. You'd have to make significant fuel economy savings to make it worth while or it just becomes a false economy considering a well serviced modern engine will go 500,000km easily if looked after properly. I've emailed the distributor and asked this very question so we'll see what he says. If it's something that only needs to go in every 50,000km ( lets say) then it would be good value but if it needs to go in at every change then unless your engine has some issue to start with, why would you bother.
I'll keep you all posted and let you know what the distributor has to say.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post