Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
mbv
Starter Motor

Default Diesel Particulate Filters

Hello All,

I have a 2010 Mondeo and it is currently running in limp mode and the dealership charged me $240 to reset the thing and say all was well and then while my wife was driving home the engine malfunction warning re-appeared. She drove back and they've kindly offered to replace the dpf for a mere $4600. (Cheap - I'd like two!)

We're situated in Melbourne and if anyone knows someone that is working in this area please let us know. I'm surprised that there is not a booming cottage industry that is developing to avoid this massive rip off.

I've heard of some folks using caustic drain cleaner and water. Anyone knowing the mix and what brand is suitable - it would be great to hear from anyone on this.

Kind regards,

Mark
mbv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: Diesel Particulate Filters

No idea sorry however I will say a few people have been caught out with mondeo DPFs in NZ and had to pay ford for replacements.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a company here in WA that cleans them,do a google and see if you can find him,fraction of the cost apparently.
351LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Google 'blocked dpf'
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You can clean them with regular water. I've done it before on a Mazda by reverse flushing it with a hose.

It would be interesting to see what the dealer has done. A lot of people dont understand how to repair DPF systems. On Mitsubishis you are able to do a manual burn for half an hour on the car so it cleans itself out. Others require you to drive it a certain way or you can simply give it a good flogging.

You also need to make sure you are using low ash engine oil too so its not contributing to clogging up the filter.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #6
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mates Subaru has instructions in his manual on how to reset the DPF if it displays. Brakes, clutch, rear window demise, lights, etc etc in a combo.

That and a nice long run to get it plenty hot doesn't hurt. Something like not out of 3rd but over 80km/h rings a bell?
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some videos on DPF , the second one shows cleaning a truck dpf, but i think the process is still relevent.

the third one i dont know how effective it would be, im thinking it might be a hard task to get all the chemical through all the cells but i have no clue?
regarding the caustic cleaning , i dont really know, but i would be a bit wary in cleaning the non metal cells if thats what the mondy is fitted with ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMKpo74P6SE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qmW...g#t=320.861089

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=020M...4#t=202.194739
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

there is a dealer process to initiate the burn if the car doesn't do it by itself, or if your driving style doesn't make it happen, but there will always come a point where the filter is clogged by the residual ash left over after the burn. I don't know how long this should be but 5 years seems short.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
there is a dealer process to initiate the burn if the car doesn't do it by itself, or if your driving style doesn't make it happen, but there will always come a point where the filter is clogged by the residual ash left over after the burn. I don't know how long this should be but 5 years seems short.
Probably the vehicles use might have a lot of bearing on how bad they clog up , a car doing short runs would probably be in for cleaning or new DPF a lot more often one would think ?
Old 03-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
mbv
Starter Motor

Thank you for all the posts.
Five years does seem rather a short life-cycle for such a prohibitively expensive item!
My driving is 80% on freeways at 100 (maybe 105?!) for about 40 minutes at a time with a tendency to give it a boot when taking off from lights. So for the past three years it certainly hasn't been short trips with lots of stop / start as a feature.

Unless I can get some more cost effective method of fixing this dpf then my next purchase I'm going to have to re-evaluate as any cost savings on the fuel with a diesel are well and truly wiped clean by this heavy impost.

I found some folks that clean dpfs in Perth and Sydney but nothing in Melbourne yet. Still driving like grandma at the moment (limp mode) and it's quite frustrating. All those kilometres at 5.5 - 6.0 with a huge smile on my face are fading into history and the smile has been wiped off the face!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #11
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

interesting reads
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html
http://www.stdrivers.co.uk/forum/top...fter-your-dpf/
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbv View Post
Five years does seem rather a short life-cycle for such a prohibitively expensive item!
My driving is 80% on freeways at 100 (maybe 105?!) for about 40 minutes at a time with a tendency to give it a boot when taking off from lights. So for the past three years it certainly hasn't been short trips with lots of stop / start as a feature.

Unless I can get some more cost effective method of fixing this dpf then my next purchase I'm going to have to re-evaluate as any cost savings on the fuel with a diesel are well and truly wiped clean by this heavy impost.

I found some folks that clean dpfs in Perth and Sydney but nothing in Melbourne yet. Still driving like grandma at the moment (limp mode) and it's quite frustrating. All those kilometres at 5.5 - 6.0 with a huge smile on my face are fading into history and the smile has been wiped off the face!
Yep it does take the wind out of your sails looking at service cost like that for sure, perhaps a low miles one from a smashed car/wreckers might be an alternative if the old one has to be replaced ?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Hello All,

I have a 2010 Mondeo and it is currently running in limp mode and the dealership charged me $240 to reset the thing and say all was well and then while my wife was driving home the engine malfunction warning re-appeared. She drove back and they've kindly offered to replace the dpf for a mere $4600. (Cheap - I'd like two!)

We're situated in Melbourne and if anyone knows someone that is working in this area please let us know. I'm surprised that there is not a booming cottage industry that is developing to avoid this massive rip off.

I've heard of some folks using caustic drain cleaner and water. Anyone knowing the mix and what brand is suitable - it would be great to hear from anyone on this.

Kind regards,

Mark
A tuning joint might be able to remove the DPF function from the ECU and just take it out and put in a pipe to connect up the exhaust.

They turned off the EGR in my TDCI Focus when they tuned it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 AM   #14
Dash6

In my limited dealings with the isuzu trucks DPF's, the possibility of eliminating it and tricking the ECU to think its still in there was unable to be completed. The isuzu ones worked on two temp sensors and two pressure sensors (one of each at either end of the DPF) no matter what we did, it still defaulted to do a burn every 100km regardless and if it didnt do a burn it went into limp mode. Instead of getting the Tech-2 scan tool from isuzu to reset the engine light and do a burn, we found the "G-Scan" unit was able to clear engine lights and complete manual burns also. The G-scan was also loaded with other trucks and a heap of passenger cars including ford and euro 5 vehicles. So perhaps finding a workshop with a g-scan to conduct a few manual burns. We did manage to clean a few blocked DPF's though, the most effective method was separating the DPF's and soaking the blocked membrane in the caustic solution from the robowash, usually repeated. Once installed, a manual burn and an oil change and was all sorted. the other way we got extra life out of a blocked DPF was to turn the membrane around and do a few manual burns. As mentioned above, low ash oil is mandatory or this blockage will continue to occur. Hopefully some of this information is of use to you. Good luck, Cheers
Manual #207.
2011 SZ Titanium TDCI

SOLD - 2006 BF 1 GT-P in Mercury Silver
Manual
Dash6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 05:25 AM   #15
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your service provider is not using the right kind of oil you will have problems
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #16
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Modern petrol engines have become so good that the "savings" are non-existent when you throw in WOL costs. Diesel now has an uncertain future in cars, I wouldn't regard a diesel car as a good investment all things considered.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/627c6812-7...#axzz3ktwcF9Dd
Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #17
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Modern petrol engines have become so good that the "savings" are non-existent when you throw in WOL costs. Diesel now has an uncertain future in cars, I wouldn't regard a diesel car as a good investment all things considered.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/627c6812-7...#axzz3ktwcF9Dd
Unless you want to tow as well.............
2 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #18
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Bar humbug. If you choose to drive a DPF equipt vehicle on short city runs the things will cost you an absolute fortune.
If on the other hand you travel decent distances then they just might be worth it.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #19
mbv
Starter Motor

Thank you for your thoughts. I would have considered that the driving as outlined below in my second post (and copied here) would not have been described as short city runs. The comments about the oil [sprintman1] are interesting. I don't know what sort of oil was used however all services were done by Ford. I doubt very much that they would take any responsibility in this matter.

I've found a company here in Melbourne that is willing to give another forced regeneration and also a manual clean - i.e. some form of caustic solution. Looking for the recipe as used by "Cold Aussie" so that I can have a suggestion for the blokes. Hopefully it works. Will let you all know. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
Bar humbug. If you choose to drive a DPF equipt vehicle on short city runs the things will cost you an absolute fortune.
If on the other hand you travel decent distances then they just might be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbv

Old 06-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #20
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thank you for your thoughts. I would have considered that the driving as outlined below in my second post (and copied here) would not have been described as short city runs. The comments about the oil [sprintman1] are interesting. I don't know what sort of oil was used however all services were done by Ford. I doubt very much that they would take any responsibility in this matter.

I've found a company here in Melbourne that is willing to give another forced regeneration and also a manual clean - i.e. some form of caustic solution. Looking for the recipe as used by "Cold Aussie" so that I can have a suggestion for the blokes. Hopefully it works. Will let you all know. Cheers.
I'm interested in the result. Oil is my area of expertise and I'm seeing DPF contamination coming up more often.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #21
mbv
Starter Motor

This is the 'recipe' as mentioned by Cold Aussie that I previously referred to. It was on a thread entitled 'Diesel Particulate Filter problems'.

I'm curious what the mix entailed - 50/50, 25/75 or 75/25 and also what brand of caustic drain cleaner brought about this successful outcome. If anyone's had experience in this area your thoughts are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Aussie View Post
Yesterday I picked up the wifes 2009 diesel focus from the 3rd service centre that couldnt fix the engine malfunction issue caused by the DPF. I took it home and put it up on my hoist. There are 2 muffler shaped boxes in the exhaust, one connected directly to the turbo. The other directly aft of the first connected by a short lentgh of flex. Both have some type of sensor at the engine end. The second has what looks like 2 vacuum lines one front one rear.
I removed the later chamber and cleaned it. Firstly I stood it on its end and filled it with water and caustic drain cleaner. I let it soak for 15 minutes then flushed it out with a hose, in the reverse direction of the exhaust flow. I repeated the process and again flushed with the hose. I then used my high pressure cleaner from both directions and stood the chamber on its end to dry.
I refitted the chamber and drove for 8 kms at 3000rpm to dry it out. The engine management warning has gone, the engine light is out and it runs better than it ever has.
My options where $6500 to replace the DPF, or 2 hours labour and $15 for some caustic.
All 4 bolts holding the chamber to the exhaust broke! No big deal I drove them out and replaced them with some 7/16 316 I had laying around.
I have also found a company that will re tune the ECU to remove the DPF and improve performance etc.
Regards
Stephen
Old 09-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #22
mbv
Starter Motor

I promised an update - so here we are.

Well I had the dpf cleaned out by a company here in Melbourne and I asked them to use caustic acid. They rang me a few hours later to indicate that is was unsuccessful, error codes were still in the system and the car was still in limp mode.They tried to get it to do a regeneration even took it for a drive to force it and no go.

It turns out they used engine degreaser and it apparently removed a significant amount of rubbish out of the unit. I indicated that I was disappointed they didn't use the caustic as we agreed and so they stated the would do it again if I brought in the caustic soda.

However as I drove away it was still in limp mode for a period of time and then all of a sudden the power came back and the turbo kicked in. I took it for a long hard drive on some lonely roads outside of Melbourne at very high speeds and / or high revs. For two or three days all was normal but I was left with the error or engine malfunction light on the dash. Was planning to get that reset however now all the warning lights have gone and it appears to have reset itself. I'll leave it for a few more days before I decide on whether to take up the offer of a second free clean - but for now all back to normal and it cost less than $300. And Ford wanted $4600?!!?
4 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done , and hope it lasts for you.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #24
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The light may be displaying as it might have a circuitry that says once turned on, needs to stay on even if the fault that trips it resets.

Or have I miss read your post and your saying that even the CEL is out too? If so, seems like you've come good!
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #25
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Longer trips .. Harder driving ?? I would add water injection .. Either through engine or exhaust . It cleans chambers, carbon big time ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Longer trips .. Harder driving ?? I would add water injection .. Either through engine or exhaust . It cleans chambers, carbon big time ..
I've got it on my TDCI Focus but I busted the self sealing fitting in the tank with my fridge. 49/51 mix of Methanol/Distilled water and she made an extra 6KW at the wheels on the dyno

I need to get a different fitting and I'm good to get it running again.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #27
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I have Devils own kit on my 6.5 GM V8 turbo diesel motor home. Mainly due to having no inter cooler.. I found its cleaned up engine big time . I only use it on steep hills .. Victoria pass etc .. I guess if it had particle filter it would help too... Use 20% metholated spirits as it's easier to purchase as servos ..
Ever seen an engine with blown head gasket ? The cylinder is chrome clean ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: