Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Default I6 vs V6

It seems that the inline 6 motor is often panned as archaic technolgy as compared to the V6, yet most of the V6s I have encountered seem harsh. Is it just me, but is almost all of the 'famous' six cylinder motors we revere a straight six?

I thought I'd pass it to the crowd to see some comments and opinions.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

The finest 6's in the world are I6's, nissan RB motors, BMW motors, classic HEMI 6 and the Jaguar 3.8L.

In fact i pretty sure that an I6 has about the best balance of any motor except for a V8 or a V16. Other motors need balance shafts and all that, personally i mainly prefer the I6 because its easier to work and yes ive have had both I6 and V6 motors.

Pros- Damn easy to work on
only one set of rocker gear/head - less to go wrong
inherent balance and reduced vibration

Cons- Takes up a lot of space
-Can upset balance of car with considerable length
-Useless for FWD configuration

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

I really like straight sixes. They make a much better noise than v6's - especially at high revs (Just listen to the BMW M3.) Straight sixes are inherently very balanced, as fairlane said above. No balance shafts required - lower rotating mass. Straight 6's are so easy to work on. Changing an O2 sensor on the EF compared to the VS - guess which one had me laying in the dirt.

The Buick V6 that's in the Commodores used to be in Buick trucks in the 60's. Back then it didn't have a balance shaft. The engine was so rough that they'd regulaly snap engine mounts.

The problem with straight sixes, is they eat into interior space. In the Falcon it's not a problem so much, as it can be opioned with a V8. But for a car that only comes with one type of motor, a V6 makes more sense, because you can make the engine bay shorter and have more interior space in the same sized car. It's not a big difference, but this is the reason Audi push their motors as close the the headlights as possible.

There have been some great V6 engines too. Like the 3.5L Nissan in the Maxima/350Z/Murano is widely regarded as one of the best engines ever made. And the uh... Can't think of any more.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
It seems that the inline 6 motor is often panned as archaic technolgy as compared to the V6, yet most of the V6s I have encountered seem harsh. Is it just me, but is almost all of the 'famous' six cylinder motors we revere a straight six?

I thought I'd pass it to the crowd to see some comments and opinions.
your asking this q in a ford site? :togo:
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

A V6 is inherently unbalanced, is it not? i.e. 3 pistons either side... hence need for a balancing shaft??

V6 may be considered more advanced because they are often shoe horned into smaller FWD cars??
Old 05-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #6
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Oh goody, this old favourite again.

Rather than have me rant on read through this and make up your own minds;
http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...dex.htm#Engine
Particlularly the pages on smoothness

In short a V6 is better if packaging and both N-S and E-W orientation is a priority, also some benefits by localised mass in a shorter length - get the weight well within the wheelbase. For just about everything else an I6 is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
In fact i pretty sure that an I6 has about the best balance of any motor except for a V8 or a V16......
You've let the V8 brainwashing get to you Fairlane. An I6 is better balanced than a V8 (which is really only 2x4cyl spliced together) though a V8 will deliver smoother power delivery as there is a pulse each 90deg of crank rotation. The only thing better balanced than an I6 is a V12 (2xI6)
Old 05-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry I can't see how a V can be more balanced than an inline of any shape or size if you ignore anything but the piston configuration.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #8
MRJUCY
Fordless

A V engine has nothing to do with technology it is just a way of packaging.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

the I6 engine is AWESOME, if only they would make a serious HP version that revs more id be even happier.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #10
gozza

i love my I6...smooth and its sounds nice with a good system...a nice burble....doesn't sound as good as an 8 but better than most 6's
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
macca_779
Turbine Power

Horses for courses I've driven a TT V6 RS4 and it makes a Falcon Straight 6 feel like a bumbling idiot. Then again thats how the Falcon 6 makes an Alloytech look.
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
Is it just me, but is almost all of the 'famous' six cylinder motors we revere a straight six?
With the exception of the V6 engines in the 70's GT Capri's, yes.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I dont know guys?? If the car goes and doesnt use too much fuel..who cares? V6 V8 V20 or straight 6.If the engine is designed well then it should be ok. It depends what you are used to .
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #14
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course im going to go with the I6s. :

After all, one of the best 6 Cylinders Holden ever had, was the RB30.

Like I always say "The RB30 is the best engine, Holden never built".
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #15
gozza

has there ever been a I8?
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:14 PM   #16
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
And Ford don't have V6's : Good one!
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #17
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
Yeah mate.

They were used in the 30s, I think.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #18
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
I ask this question because I have an interest in what constitutes good engine design. Whilst some people here can be one eyed Ford fans quite a few of the folk on here have taken a liking to Fords after years of experience. The Falcon and Territory are probably the only Fords left that use an I6 motor anyhow.

Also, I think FIAT used an I8 before WWII. It's rarely used now because of packaging (ie length and weight).
Old 05-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #19
4.9 EF Futura

Leigh - some good reading to be had here:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ne/smooth1.htm

It appears to address the nature of your query....
Old 05-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #20
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Talking

Its remotely related to this thread but my tractor has a 6.8l inline 6, big turbo'd John Deere tractor. Only revs to 2800rpm but its the 560nm of torque that it produces at 2200rpm is enough to tear tree roots out of the ground like no tomorrow when ripping a paddock :thebirds:
Funny how its only rated at 135hp
Fooken big donk though :
Just thought I'd add something odd for a fridy arvo!
Have a good weekend :
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #21
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
yeah theres one in the mechanical area at the UTS. i think its a rolls royce... im sure it had that cast into the block, been a while since i saw it though. and no they wouldnt start it up for me lol.

freakin huge thing.
aimzes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #22
act2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
Yes a few.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Straight-8

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Straight-12
act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #23
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes_meat
There have been some great V6 engines too. Like the 3.5L Nissan in the Maxima/350Z/Murano is widely regarded as one of the best engines ever made. And the uh... Can't think of any more.
There have been a couple of other good V6’s –
Mitsubishi’s 3.5 (Pajero Evo model),
Fiat/Ferrari 206 GT alloy blocked 2.0 litre V6 – later on the iron blocked 2.4 litre V6 (shared with the Lancia Stratos),
Alfa V6 (started of in the GT 2600 I believe and went out to 3.2 litre (and 3.5 litre Autodelta mods)),
Cologne Capri V6 from the 70’s Capri,
Nissan VG30TT,
Audi RS4 (and Allroad) TTV6,
Renault F1 Turbo V6 (Turbo V6 was the packaging go in those days).
Expand the V out in to 180 and you get a Porsche flat 6 (started out at 2.0 wound up as 3.8).

Do you think that Lexus would go to V6's on their new models if they couldn't get them well balanced? The Holden V6s need a balancer shaft because they are a 90 degree V6 (cut down V8) where as most V6s designed from scratch are 60 degrees.

Volvo is fiddling with a transverse straight 8 for FWD applications now.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #24
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU:PROJECT:UTE
Funny how its only rated at 135hp
:
hp = torque x rpm /5252!!!!

A friend took me for a ride in a bentley a few years back... 4L inline 4... cylinders the size of your head.... never sounded like it was revving but still gave a good kick in the backside.

Lol - more attention was paid to operating the crash type gear box!! Crunch crunch...
Old 05-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #25
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
And Ford don't have V6's : Good one!
this is true, but when you think ford, do you think v6 or inline 6? your first thought is inline 6 no matter what you say :yeees:

and just to throw some a spanner in the works, the alloytech recently named in the top 10 engines in Wards Autoworld and Wards Engine and Vehicle Technology Update.

But before anyone gets their back hairs up, the 3.6l wasnt the award winner - it was the 2.8l turbo found in Saabs 9-3 aero and Opel's Vectra.

But i do agree with one of the statements made previously. As long as it goes, doesnt give you too many hassles and has a descent amount of poke, then who cares?
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #26
turboute
turboute

The only reason that V6's appear to be smoother than some I6's is the amount of money spent on counterbalance shfts etc. I6's (and their multiples) are the only engines that do not require counterbalance shfts to stop them vibrating to peices. 60 deg V6's still have this problemalthough it is not as pronounced as in a 90deg V6 (same with V8's). Also the lack of counterbalance shafts means that I6's will have less rotating mass.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 07:24 PM   #27
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

From: http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....4&print_page=y

Slant On Sixes
I was told by a reputable mechanic that out of all types of engines, a straight-6 is the perfect configuration. It is the smoothest, mechanically strongest and the most durable engine. As an example, the Toyota Supra and BMW M3 come to mind. Both cars had legendary engines. I write "had" because Toyota stopped making Supras and BMW will switch to a V-8 for its new M3. Was my mechanic right, and if so, then why are inline-6s not that popular and many automakers prefer V-6s or even V-8s? And why do all the big semi-trucks have straight-6s?
Giedrius Zioba
Las Vegas, Nevada
No engine configuration is perfect, and while the straight-6 offers many compelling benefits, some of its defining characteristics don't mesh well with current passenger-car fashion. Chief of these is the layout's long length and resulting packaging considerations, especially in front-wheel-drive applications where the engine sits "sideways."
Furthermore, unless laid over, à la Chrysler's Slant 6 or the celebrated Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing's 3.0-liter, a conventional inline stands taller than a vee engine.
As for the inline-6 being mechanically strongest, well, it's a great layout, but its long crankshaft (longer than a V-8's) needs attention from the designer to assure adequate stiffness. This often results in an expensive-to-manufacture crankshaft and seven main bearings. That's two more bearings than for a V-8, for example, meaning more friction and engine weight. Alternatively, the designer may specify a lower rpm to avoid crankshaft stiffness issues, as in light-truck applications.
To its credit, the straight-6 is in perfect primary and secondary balance, leading to its typically smooth-running personality. But then, so is a counter-weighted 90-degree V-8, and the V-8 more easily supports a larger displacement, a shorter, stiffer crankshaft, tighter engine compartment packaging for a shorter overall vehicle length, more concentrated engine weight for snappier handling and a lower cowl height.
And just for the record, the Class 8 trucks are often powered by V-8s as well as straight-6s.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #28
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

either way is good as long as its built well it doesn't really matter i think the main advantage to the V Configuration is that it can be a compact package due to be able to vary the valley angle so it can be more used in varying applications i.e fwd and rwd and in small and larger engine bays. i wouldn't imagine there would be a performance advantage either way except possibly more even distribution of air/fuel and flow through the V6 (carby of course) but please correct me if i am wrong. I am a little biased towards the V6 though because the Essex V6 from the 70's capri is the sweetest 6 i have ever heard and done right they are completely smooth throughout the rev range.
70caprigt3k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 07:45 PM   #29
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

I6 are classic engines. All the early classic cars had I6's. Most have given up for the compromise of packaging, fitting into more models, FWD etc.

However i6 dictates a long bonnet, long bonnets on sedans are sexy. I6 sound diffrent (some say droney but I say sexy), and you can feel the noticibly smoother engine balance.

Ford has to keep the I6, its what defines the falcon. Sure modernise it, tweak it etc. But the I6 is fundementally good.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #30
muzz

Sort of on topic,
why aren't there more narrow angle sixes like the VW 15 degree six? They seem to be an excellent compromise between straight 6 and v6. And they sound pretty neat too.
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post