Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
BLAKLISTED

Default Pre Purchase Inspectons

Hi Guys,

I have been keen on a new toy for ages now. The only problem is most examples I am looking at are interstate and I hardly have the time to travel to see them due to my work commitments. I am looking for either an F6 typhoon/FG turbo or an XA/B/C. There is currently an XC I have my eye on in NSW. I have been thinking about breaking one of my cardinal rules, buying it site unseen...

I looked on the net and apparently you can get someone to inspect the car for you. Has anyone used a service like this? Was it worthwhile? How much and are they worth the effort?

MODS: 2.5 PEX EXHAUST, PACEMAKER 4490 EXTRACTORS, F6 LOWER INTAKE, XR6 TURBO UPPER INTAKE, 19" GT-P WHEELS, LOWERED 2".

NOW SOLD. BRING ON THE T/8!
BLAKLISTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I'd never purchase a vehicle without personally inspecting it myself. Especially if you're looking at something like an F6 or an FG XR6T.

Older cars such as an XC i'd imagine wouldn't be such a bigger deal as they're older cars that would most likely have some damage or issue with them (not saying they all do, just more than not) but in the end it's up to you.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think generally you could trust other forum members, but that is only generally.
I believe the RACQ or the other state equivalent does these checks for you, for a small fee $100??
Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
BLAKLISTED

With this XC i'm looking at, the main thing I'd be worried about is rust. I've been promised the car is relatively rust free (bar two small thumb sized rust spots), but wouldnt mind a trained eye thrown over the car before I purchase. I myself have had no experience with buying a classic, this would be my first. It would be much better to have someone in the know scruitinise the car.

MODS: 2.5 PEX EXHAUST, PACEMAKER 4490 EXTRACTORS, F6 LOWER INTAKE, XR6 TURBO UPPER INTAKE, 19" GT-P WHEELS, LOWERED 2".

Old 17-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKLISTED
With this XC i'm looking at, the main thing I'd be worried about is rust. I've been promised the car is relatively rust free (bar two small thumb sized rust spots), but wouldnt mind a trained eye thrown over the car before I purchase. I myself have had no experience with buying a classic, this would be my first. It would be much better to have someone in the know scruitinise the car.
Rust is always an issue and unless all the panels have been off there is no way the seller can say its "rust" free.
The usual areas in the XA/B/C are the plenum chamber area at the ends which are hidden under the guards, the firewall, drivers floor, bottom and lower sides of the rear window, inner guards in the rear wheel well, bottom "well" areas on the sides of the boot and the rear tail light panel, front and rear of the cill panels, front windscreen pillar and the lower part of the front door pillar.

Be wary that the front crossmember under the engine is usually damaged and will throw your alignments out.

Not trying to put you off!
Just go in with open eyes and be willing to take time to fix (spend) it all up.

I bought a XB sedan sight unseem from ebay a few years ago and I was lucky and quite happy with the car.

Get the seller to take as many hi-res pictures and email them to you as well.
(Dont let him use a phone camera)

Good luck..

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
BLAKLISTED

cheers for the advice Goose, very much appreciate it.

Old 18-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKLISTED
Hi Guys,

I have been keen on a new toy for ages now. The only problem is most examples I am looking at are interstate and I hardly have the time to travel to see them due to my work commitments. I am looking for either an F6 typhoon/FG turbo or an XA/B/C. There is currently an XC I have my eye on in NSW. I have been thinking about breaking one of my cardinal rules, buying it site unseen...

I looked on the net and apparently you can get someone to inspect the car for you. Has anyone used a service like this? Was it worthwhile? How much and are they worth the effort?
Not worth the paper they are printed on , just read the get our clauses in them . And for what you get hellishly expensive . My personal advice , unless you have truckloads of money never buy sight unseen , one mans immaculate is very different from the next mans .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you trust anyone on the ford forum to inspect the car for you without buying it from under you?

i have thought about doing this in the past when wanting to buy something interstate. get someone you 'know' to have a look first, at least they might give you an honest answer, and if they say it is good then fly/drive to the car and have a look yourself before parting with the cash.
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probably less of a risk with the late models, i would want someone with skills that knows that car (x series)back to front, after seeing some of the build threads on here (major body work required), either that or buy a car with a history, "garaged 1 owner driven to church by little old ladie" etc,etc.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
brendo83

When I sold my car one of the potential buyers was dead keen to get it inspected, the back tyres were unevenly worn and had a couple mm of tread left on the outside but were on the wear indicators on the inside. the inspection report said they had 30% tread left.

That same inspection place had a big banner on their website stating that of all the cars they had inspected at least 90% showed signs of minor body repairs, 50% had signs of major accident damage and 25% had odometer rollbacks done. What a load of crap.
brendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #11
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just bought a ute a few weeks ago sight unseen i payed $280 for a full inspection
An would have no problem doing it again . I was very pleased with the the level the went 2 i got multiple photo's of problems and a mechanical check that left me with absolutly no suprises . I was told how many scrathes i could buff out and how many would not .
The company i went through done a lot better job then i could of
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that sounds pretty good Snappy.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
feral

I brought an RS2000 a few years back sight unseen. I had heaps of pic's taken of it and I was able to research the car via another forum to hear reports others had said about it. I took the risk and I was pretty pleased with the outcome. What my fall back position was, if it came across and it was a heap of c@@p, I would be able to strip it, sell the parts and make my money back.
feral is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

You could use VIP Inspections?

I know a couple of people who have used them and have been very happy with what they've got.
Old 20-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Used VIP for the fairlane and was very happy
Had Rob (president of the GT Club Inc) inspect the Landau and was even happier!!!!!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #16
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
You could use VIP Inspections?

I know a couple of people who have used them and have been very happy with what they've got.
Without specific details I have used VIP previously and VERY disappointed. My understanding is that the inspectors are sub-contractors probably of varying quality. So depending on where the vehicle is you will get a different inspector. If it's a modern car, you'd probably be OK but if its an older vehicle go look for yourself, or expect the worse but hope for the best ...
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #17
BLAKLISTED

Guys, thanks very much for the input. Definitely food for thought. Not sure if the car I am looking at is still for sale (work has been stealing my time again!) and I can't seem to find anything (on the net anyway) that comes close to the amount of work done on this example for the price. So I'm still very keen on it if its still up for grabs. Will ring him tomorrow.

Snappy, who did you go through for your inspection?

Old 08-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #18
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blaklisted I used a company in perth called Auto inspections .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post