Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hybrid parking spots

I heard on the radio today that goverments/councils are planning to make hybrid parking spots ,just like disabled parking spots but clearly just for hybrid powered cars .
I found a couple articles from googling but nothing worth posting .

My opinion is this is just a joke the hybrids available in aus have no benefit to the enviroment . An not every one can use one there are no hybrid ute/van or wagon the would be of any use to me. Allthough i would not get one yet anyway.

Thoughts !

Last edited by snappy84; 28-05-2009 at 10:37 PM.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Hybrids are worse for the environment, no special treatment should be given to a car the is "seen" to be environmentally friendly.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Hybrids are worse for the environment, no special treatment should be given to a car the is "seen" to be environmentally friendly.

This is my thoughts , why do they do this . Is just for public perception or do the goverment just read the toyota brochure and think this must me good.

An what annoys me the most is there not even that good on fuel .
Old 28-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny, because the mine that gets the nickel for Toyota's Prius batteries is an ENVIRONMENTAL DEAD ZONE. Which means it cannot support life... Yep, Prius is real good for the environment, not to mention the Ford Fiesta ECOnetic has a better fuel figure anyways.

Don't mention Hydrogen either, water vapor holds in more heat than Carbon Dioxide does.

I think its time the hamster inside peoples heads starts working a bit harder on the wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I think its to keep the green eco-mentalist people happy. I guess we have to look at the governments aspect. We are struggling to get the economy back into shape and as we speak the Greens are not happy with the latest legislation.

If giving a few car spots to them keeps them happy and not stop us from building the local cars we want and protecting Australian jobs that go with it so be it.
Old 28-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Funny, because the mine that gets the nickel for Toyota's Prius batteries is an ENVIRONMENTAL DEAD ZONE. Which means it cannot support life... Yep, Prius is real good for the environment, not to mention the Ford Fiesta ECOnetic has a better fuel figure anyways.

Don't mention Hydrogen either, water vapor holds in more heat than Carbon Dioxide does.

I think its time the hamster inside peoples heads starts working a bit harder on the wheel.
Hydrogen! :

I'd prefer that than hybrids...

Solar has (and will) come a long way too.

As for the special parking spots, well the comparison to disabled bays could be fitting.
Old 28-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
I think its to keep the green eco-mentalist people happy. I guess we have to look at the governments aspect. We are struggling to get the economy back into shape and as we speak the Greens are not happy with the latest legislation.

If giving a few car spots to them keeps them happy and not stop us from building the local cars we want and protecting Australian jobs that go with it so be it.

Yeah thats a good point .
So is the green party reading the toyota brochure then . I really wish people would stop donkey voting them , or voting for legal wacky backy
Old 28-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Trek
Blue blooded

And just why do they deserve any more recognition/privilages???

The pseudo-greenies are only creating more havoc/upsetting what already works. Car parks are car parks. Disabled car parks make sense (and serve a highly important purpose), 'Hybrid' ones do not, no matter which way you look at it.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Hydrogen! :

I'd prefer that than hybrids...

Solar has (and will) come a long way too.

As for the special parking spots, well the comparison to disabled bays could be fitting.
How about a nuclear powered car lol? Who needs petrol/gas/electricity/hydrogen when you can have uranium 235 haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

if they are better for the environment, they can drive a further distance with less emissions.. I say they should take one for the team and let our stinky petrol guzzlers park as close as possible not the other way round.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
ChemicalHorizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe

Norilsk in russia have a pretty bad environmental record, but they are improving. CVRD (INCO) Canada are top notch, so are we here in australia BHPB Nickel West. There are trees at all our nickel mines and processing plants in WA and Queensland. Whats more battery production makes up only a few percent of nickel use in the world, with teh vast, vast majority going into stainless steel production. Its a carbon intensive process and its not going away any time soon. Whats good is something of the order of 80% of the world nickel is recycled.
ChemicalHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently gold is the most polluting of all metals, so I dont think Nickle should be singled out.

Anyway the only way to counter a Hybrid car space is to do a dirty big skid in the spot when no one is about. Id get some sick amusement of seeing a number 11s coming out of one...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #13
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Apparently gold is the most polluting of all metals, so I dont think Nickle should be singled out.

Anyway the only way to counter a Hybrid car space is to do a dirty big skid in the spot when no one is about. Id get some sick amusement of seeing a number 11s coming out of one...

I was thinking more like hybrid stickers on the number plate , I think it would be pretty funny on my xr8 . With big side exit exhaust pipes making a hell of a growl
Old 29-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #14
BTTB
Free XD

They already have "Hybrid" parking spots at places around the USA like universities and such like

This is exactly what I'll be doing if its implemented over here
http://www.katu.com/younews/39468572.html

Easily fixed

http://www.katu.com/younews/39468572.html?img=1&mg=t
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So far I think that some that have posted on this topic already may have missed the point. The argument is not wether a hybrid is any better or worse than what we already have, because I too also think that apples for apples the current hybrid technology can be shown to be no better or greener than our current technology as well but I think there is probably a couple of other things going on here.
1) For the first time in 100 years there is now a genuine attempt to introduce future technologies by many groups including Govt bodies, green movements and concerned individuals and now even the car makers themselves. There is no way you could have done this a generation ago.
2) Dedicated spaces not only encourage the use of buying into this technology but also make way to create space for the real infrastructure needed to grow this type of technology, and that is the provision for the plug in hybrid and in the future total electric dependency.

I can see a time when these parking spaces will grow in numbers and will be painted green (the international colour for money) because they will become money machines that will become local councils, Westfield/Centro/Airport type organisations and electricity companies' a new avenue for income. In the future, if you park in one of these spaces in a conventional vehicle, you will probably get a ticket for a lot more than the value they would have made from a recharge!
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #16
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have already seen Hybrid parking spots in a car park down down flinders lane in Melbourne.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #17
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
if they are better for the environment, they can drive a further distance with less emissions.. I say they should take one for the team and let our stinky petrol guzzlers park as close as possible not the other way round.
true! save us polluting the atmosphere driving around for 20mins trying to find a park.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I thought Hybrid Parking spots was going to recommend where they park. My vote would have been in a scrap yard crusher - perfect place for a hybrid.
What an absolute crock this global warming BS is. It is so ridiculous, that in the USA president Bambi has had the supreme court reclassify CO2 as a pollutant. Nest he'll have it removed from the periodic table of elements. What is this world cooming to?

Quote: