Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default thoughts on a replacement car

i am currently fed up with my VX Commodore.
every week i replace a worn out part and then another part shows signs it need to be replaced.
eg: front shock bent, tail pipe fell off, drive shaft failed, tailshaft centre bearing failed, engine mount failed, trans mount, sway bar links, tie rod ends, and now the steering rack needs to be replaced which i have ordered and will replaced soon.
thats all in 6 months

so i drive everyday under 20km, the car is parked on the street out so no way i'm driving the GT to work and the missus wants a Black wagon (to replace the black VX wagon)
but i want something that can overtake easily as the Commodore is about as slow as I'd ever want a car to be to overtake.

so i was thinking BMW X5 2005 E53 4.4l V8 for about $15k under 150,000km but after realising the price of parts and that its also 10 years old keeping it 5 or so years may cost alot to keep it on the road.

so how about a Mazda CX-7 luxury 2006-2008 model under 150,000km and for about $15k, 2.3t, leather/bose sunroof and all that? lots around so prices are good, plenty of parts around too

not keen on territory as for $15k i can only get a well worn Ghia and although cheap to fix my mate and brother have these and they are not the most reliable car and a bit slow. i'd only consider a 2005 ghia awd or turbo.

i want a wagon thats high off the ground, quick, no older than 2005 and does the old 0-100km in 8 secs or under oh and not a fan of forrester xt's due to maintanance costs

BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: thoughts on a replacement car

RAV4 CV6 or Outlander V6 are your best bets. Toyota is quicker than many sedans (including XR6). CX7 turbo is known for its high fuel usage , otherwise not a bad car.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FWIW we have a 20 year old, 200,000 km 3 series BMW and it's as solid as a rock. The guy who services it knows all the ins and outs of BMWs and gets genuine parts very cheap by not sourcing them through BMW. If you're onto the right networking, a BMW is very rewarding - provided you buy one that's been well looked after. But I wouldn't get an X5, you'd have too much on your plate if something goes wrong. I'd say the X3, but only after 2011 and that's still well beyond your price range.

We've had two Territorys and they've been totally trouble free, once all that initial warranty stuff was sorted out with Ford several years back. We have a 2006 Ghia at present - excellent vehicle, totally reliable and cheap to maintain. And what's that about slow? We always win the traffic light derbys!

We had the same experience with Commodore. Holden make rubbish cars. Stepping into our first Territory after the Commodore was a dream.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Chopped
as in chopped

The only bad thing I have heard about the CX-7s is that they are heavy on petrol use. But your VX most likely is too.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
so i drive everyday under 20km,
and yet I drive 200km a day in a vx v6 calais and in the last 60,000km I've only done oil, filters and coolant. It helps that not long before I got it the last owner replaced all bushes throughout. Only maintenance coming up is idler pulleys as the whistling is getting constant now.

Good luck with a replacement.... Best suggestion is put your requirements in carsales and see what is available, then research the models you like.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i though about the rav but not many v6's around and most are base model and hold value well, didn't think of the outlander but don't think they offer a rewarding drive and not to my style if you know what i mean.
my brother has a 2006 terri ghia and its great but its had a few issues and still has a rough running issue after ford did an ECU update, warranty ran out and its still got the rough running issue, my mate has a turbo ghia and its got rust, wears tyres out even after alignment is in spec, it rattles and clunks and i can't find a territory with low km's in my price range.
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 01-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i though about the rav but not many v6's around and most are base model and hold value well, didn't think of the outlander but don't think they offer a rewarding drive and not to my style if you know what i mean.
my brother has a 2006 terri ghia and its great but its had a few issues and still has a rough running issue after ford did an ECU update, warranty ran out and its still got the rough running issue, my mate has a turbo ghia and its got rust, wears tyres out even after alignment is in spec, it rattles and clunks and i can't find a territory with low km's in my price range.
There are sx6 RAV4s for 16k from a dealers with 100k on them , private you might do better. X5s are nice but these are prestige ,complicated cars that don't age well and make commodore maintaince costs look like spare change.
Drive a few from a list - that will help you decide.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

If you really need a wagon...

Buy a BF futura wagon and do an XR6T conversion (easy as).
The cost as a BFII wagon and conversion will come in under 15k.

Plus you get a project and it's different.

Power, cheap running costs, family needs served...

Just a thought.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an AU Wagon before, although i loved it the missus hated it, i even pimped it out and dropped it 3.5in and did black windows, with the bench seat and column shift if was the best cruiser but the missus hated it and i want something high off the ground for dirt roads and trails. doesn't have the be AWD.

i have been researching Territory's and I think i'd like a 2005+ Ghia RWD as they are cheap and simple.

what are peoples thoughts on the AWD vs RWD + the 4sp vs 6sp

ultimately i'd like a car that goes well, can tow a trailer, and has the enthusiast factor otherwise i'll get bored of it and will sell it. (i'm 35 and have owned more than 40 cars)
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go for the 6sp gearbox with a Territory. It's much sweeter and will give you better fuel economy.

The RWD Territory is just fine. It still has tremendous roadholding and I reckon the less mechanical complexity you have in the car, the less likely you are to have some costly maintenance item come up. AWD is good if you're semi-offroading.

Re age, I think in the first couple of years after 2004 they were sorting out the various "childhood" issues with the Territory. By 2006 it was getting quite good. The later you can get, the better.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Guzz226

I had a 4sp AWD and it cooked the transmission - thankfully whilst under warranty.

Given you can get all the safety bits - DSC etc on both AWD and RWD now (couldn't originally) I can't really see they benefit in AWD for the extra fuel usage and transmission impact.

My last 2 Terrys have been RWD and for road use they are great - I don't go off road rallying so AWD just hasn't been worth it for me.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

hang on
its her car yes?
so she is calling the shots?
make her go and pick it out
then when it ***** itself you can say
well i told ya....then pick what you want

all joking aside
family, kids, dog?
camping, tents
or picnics and ten mins to to the shops and work?

just asking because...why buy another big lump of a fuel guzzler if its just a commute run around???
go and get a BF wagon off pickles auctions if you want a family thing
**** the territory look at me sitting high off the ground rubbish
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes she wants a black wagon that looks good (and not a Falcon) she dislikes Fords but that why she doesn't get to drive the GT, also the fact that if she does she comes back saying it does good burnouts or gets to 150kmh pretty quick.

i tried to convince her that an ex cop FG2 XR6t would be the go but she wants a wagon, i'm the one who wants a car with enough power and handling to overtake and drive how i want.

so thats the compromise, a black, high riding, reasonably quick wagon. we don't have kids or dogs but for some reason we are always needing a wagon to carry junk around.
plus we bushwalk, tow a boat, mountain bike, and camp so that why we need something that is ok over dirt.

also i'm over the poor steering feel and dodgy handling of the commodore, also the lazy auto and the complete lack or torque from the 3.8
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CX7 will probably your best bet if you can pick them up for 15K.
they do use a lot of Juice and I think that's why they were dropped. maybe not the best for towing a boat
see if you can get her into a Territory as it will suit all your needs listed.
PS it would be quicker than the VX and use only a little more petrol
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #15
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

hmm
kinda narrows the market a bit
no fords
and you hate the commies

gonna have to be bmw wags or a taller 4wd type of thing
what about a second hand jeep?
we sold our cheroke renegade for around the 14 grand mark with about 70 thousand on it
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #16
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

trying to look at a CX-7 this arvo its $12,500 but highish km's, also i'll take my brothers 06 Territory ghia 6sp AWD for a drive this sunday, there are a few around in AWD and RWD for about that money.
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 02-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #17
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I test drove a CX7 before buying my XR50 and I found it to be really small inside. Even the boot space was small. I also found the rear doors come up too high so small kids can't see out of the window.

It did drive nice enough though.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #18
lelandnine
LEELEE

Son in law saw a CX7 Luxury for sale for $16K in a local Mazda dealer here in Adelaide and as I have known the guy in charge of service dept. I sent him to see him.
The CX7 had been originally sold by them and had a good service history. He has worked for this dealership for many many years. His advice to buy son in law", "stay away from CX7 and 9s with more than 100K on them. He suggested the son in law buy a Rav 4 (4 or 6) or a Mitsubishi Highlander. He's bought a Rav 4. It's nice to find someone honest when it comes to buying cars.

Last edited by lelandnine; 02-12-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: more info
lelandnine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #19
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the net is full of bad reviews on the CX-7, mainly the 10,000km service intervals are too far apart and the oil hot spots and sludges up. but i think this is still due to people not servicing when they should or cutting corners on oil quality.

any bad things about a nissan mirano?
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 02-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #20
lelandnine
LEELEE

My sister in law had a Mirano for years and it was trouble free. Used to travel on a hell of a lot of dirt roads and clocked up well over 200k.
I suppose all depends on how a car is looked after.
Still reckon a reliably boring Rav 4 is the way to go.
lelandnine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We just traded our old 2007 X5 diesel . It had travelled 140,000 kms and needed thousands spent on it and I could sense the trans was on its way out. The poor new owner!

Sunroof problem - $5k to fix

Air Con compressor stuffed - $4k to fix

Happily took the $20k trade on a 3 series and the morning we drove into the dealership to pick up the new car the drivers door handle on the X5 broke off. That would have been a $1k job to fix according to the dealer.

Stay away from old X5's
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #22
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Here's an option you may not thought of : Dodge Nitro

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-3083659

Fits the tall, wagon, black, bling description but might be a bit slow (3.7l V6).

I don't really know much about them (rebadged Jeeps?)

Personally I'd recommend a Territory.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #23
Matty4
Banana

How big's the boat, that may cull a few suggestions offered.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #24
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4.7 tinny with a 40hp, not real heavy maybe 600kg fully loaded. also to think about I have a light weight car trailer and a 1200kg (project) track car so that will be 1650kg all up if i put the gear in the boot not on the trailer...might not have to tow this though i'd just borrow the folks new pajero
territory is looking better everyday i think.
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd stay away from the X5. A mate recently sold his mid 2000's X5 and bought a Triton. X5 was costing him too much money, too often.

This is a quickish black wagon that stands out
http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...D-156245&Cr=39
It's been for sale for years, I wonder why?

If you want something a bit more sensible, you can get a Mid 2000's Grand Cherokee for about $15,000 now. Previous model ones. Buyer beware of any 5.7L hemi though. Good engine, when it works. Not cheap when it drops a valve seat, which it probably will at some stage.

I'd probably got for a Tezza though.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #26
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might want to check out the towing capacities of the cars you're looking at.
I know our '14 Mazda CX-9 has a towing capacity of 2000kgs. I thought the CX-7 was a lot lower though. One to be wary of.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:49 AM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If you didn't need the ground clearance I would have said Stagea.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #28
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CX-7 has a 1600kg towing limit, plenty for the boat, not enough for a car trailer unless i can get my project car under 1150kg but prob not possible
but chances are i'll never use it to tow the car
p.s. i saw a 19ft boat with a 200hp on a golf the other day...thats pushing it!
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 04-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #29
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Forester XT.

I know you said no, but for what its worth it is hands down the best car I have ever owned.

Its fast, awd, manual, uses less than 9.4l/100km without fail and it can cart and tow anything I have needed to without worry.

The maintenance costs seriously arent bad. 15,000km intervals and only requires a timing belt at 125,000 which any independent will do for a reasonable cost.

Just drive one and see what you think, it may suprise you.

If not, the V6 rav4 is a seriously quick car, just not a very good awd system (clutches etc).
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #30
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used the have a new 2004 2.5x auto and although i loved the size of it i hated everything else about it, it was slow, had no torque at all, used 13l/100km, the auto was not matched the the power of the engine, no front grip and shocking on dirt road. but i think the XT in a 5 speed would be a great car and better sorted power and handling. however the only ones i have seen forsale have been to expensive or made fully sick by some young kid or too many km's.
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar