Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
icer
Winning's Winning!

Default Vic: Free RWC Saftey Checkups (LONG)

Ok so I am currently invovled in a police sort of thing. Legally this time. Long story short, the police are wanting to try somethign out. Testing starts in VIC.

The issue:

Alot of people (such as myself) want to have a 100% street legal car (to the eye of TMU/vic roads etc). But the only way to FULLY be 100% sure is either cop a canary from the cops or go pay 90$ for a RWC from a mechanic. The RWC aint usually enough for high performance cars though. A cop can still ping you for illegal mods or something that is ROAD WORTHY but not always according to the police.

Anyway...

The police are setting up something called a 'Saftey Check'. This is where people can bring their cars to the local police station, and have a qualified officer to go over the car and give the client a 'saftey check checklist'. This does not invovled a canary of any sort.

Only problem is, if the car has a groundable offence on his car (meaning the car cannot move from wherever it is) for example 2 bold tyres, then the cops HAVE to by law ground the car and have the user tow it away at their expense. Now this is the flaw in the matter. Noone wants to go get this saftey notice then find out their car is grounded on the spot then costs them all this money. But if the car is not seen as 'groundable' you walk away with a checklist of things you need to fix or do to make the car street legal compliant. Any time frame. No stickers.

Now i think thats not to bad, but i wouldnt go due to having the off chance somethign is classified as a groudable offence on my car. But on the other hand, I want to take it the the cop shop to go over my car to tell me what (if anythgin) needs to be done to make the car legal.

A suggested 'groudable checklist' on website or given to clients before they book an appoinment is the only thing I can come up with that will be a decent semi solution. So you go over that small list, and if you clear those then you book yourself in to the appointment at your own risk if you have covered all those checklists.

Anyways...thats all I can think off...anyone wanna bounce some ideas feel free. I posting this up on a couple forums to get some input.

icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
GUTLES
Adam.

Great idea, I'd defiantly take my cars to get checked annually, then if you got pulled over by a police officer trying to ping you for something you could pull out the report, obviously its not going to help you as things wear/fail after time, but it'd show your making an effort.

Everyone see's some real shockers on the road, it should be mandatory like in NSW to get a RWC done annually..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer
Alot of people (such as myself) want to have a 100% street legal car (to the eye of TMU/vic roads etc).
Ha ha ha, that is the funniest thing ai have read in AFF in years, Post this up in the joke section. It's great.

100% legal. Great stuff!!

Quote:
But the only way to FULLY be 100% sure is either cop a canary from the cops or go pay 90$ for a RWC from a mechanic.
A brand ne car can be defected.
A vehicle leaving a RWC can be defected.

A 100% RWC car is like santa clause. Simply not true, sorry kiddies.

Quote:
Only problem is, if the car has a groundable offence on his car (meaning the car cannot move from wherever it is) for example 2 bold tyres, then the cops HAVE to by law ground the car and have the user tow it away at their expense.
So now people take their cars to the police to be defected?
Is this to save the police doing their job?
Wouldn't be easy if I just defected my car myself, hand the defect notice to police and put yellow sticker on my windscreen?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe

Last edited by LTDHO; 25-05-2009 at 08:41 AM.
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
icer
Winning's Winning!

Did you not read where it says they will not hand out defects? Just a 'saftey notice' as long as there are no groundable defects (E:G Bald tyres)
Old 25-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
MAD
Petro-sexual

What are the other groundable defects?
Old 25-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
icer
Winning's Winning!

im waiting for a list myself.
Old 25-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Rob
Living the dream

My AU3 failed RWC because it had too many brake lights - one in the spoiler, one on the parcel shelf and the two rear lights. This is how it came from the factory..

RWC is a crock.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
What are the other groundable defects?
cuppacino interiors... :
Old 25-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Ha ha ha, that is the funniest thing ai have read in AFF in years, Post this up in the joke section. It's great.

100% legal. Great stuff!!

A brand ne car can be defected.

So now people take their cars to the police to be defected?
Is this to save the police doing their job?
Wouldn't be easy if I just defected my car myself, hand the defect notice to police and put yellow sticker on my windscreen?
Well put. So true.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
cuppacino interiors... :
I dont know about that but I reckon rattly mufflers would be on it. :
Old 25-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a vehicle is tested and found to be dangerous then it SHOULD be taken off the road immediately.

If the fault is found at a "safety check" then perhaps any penalty can be wavered if the fault is rectified withing for example 7 days but if the vehicles has two bald tyres then it is either loaded onto a tray truck or a couple of wheels borroed from Boblanes or whatever to get you to get new tyres immediately.

If the fault is not "immediately very dangerous" e.g. cracked windscreen or broken indicator glass or blown headlight or whatever then the vehicle should be able to proceed but if the same vehicle is rolled for the same unrectified fault more than 7 days later the penalty should be increased. i.e. You cannot plead you were unaware of the fault.

This plan would be helpful with those tho whom a car is just a means of transport and not the centre of their existence.
The bogans, mutants and doof doofs usually know EXACTLY what is illegal on their car and will NEVER have it checked.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
My AU3 failed RWC because it had too many brake lights - one in the spoiler, one on the parcel shelf and the two rear lights. This is how it came from the factory..

RWC is a crock.
I've never understood this. Why is it a bad thing to have spoiler, middle and normal brake lights working? It can't be that it's too bringht because you've got cars that come out of the factory with brake lights running from top to bottom (well I'm exagerating but you get my point lol) so how's that any different? That's alot of light. I dunno lol, I've never understood it. Isn't it a good thing to have all the lights on?

And you know why else it's a crock? Because every place is different and everyone works by different rules. What passes at one place wouldn't pass at another and vice versa. It's each place to their own.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

i can see myself getting flamed for this but i need to get it off my chest because these stupid suggestions are not worth paying taxes for.

i think this safety check is a crock anyway, cops can always record your details and send you a canary in the mail, (basically a notice to bring the car into the local cop shop for an inspection), we used to get these years ago when we would go to the illegal drags and police would come down.

at the end of the day i dont take anything a police officer says as gospel when it comes to anything mechanical related. they make up their own rules on roadworthy issues because they have got the upper hand over the roadworthy guidelines vic roads have set out so how can a licenced mechanic with a roadworthy inspectors licence be second best to a cop when it comes to a vehicles mechanicals?

this is why ltdho says

A brand new car can be defected.

and i also agree with ltdho to put this in the joke section.

if you want a safety inspection book the car into a local mechanic especially one that will do a free safety report and get them to check it out, i dont see cops putting a car onto a hoist and taking wheels off, they dont want to get their pretty little hands dirty as it is.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL
I've never understood this. Why is it a bad thing to have spoiler, middle and normal brake lights working? It can't be that it's too bringht because you've got cars that come out of the factory with brake lights running from top to bottom (well I'm exagerating but you get my point lol) so how's that any different? That's alot of light. I dunno lol, I've never understood it. Isn't it a good thing to have all the lights on?

And you know why else it's a crock? Because every place is different and everyone works by different rules. What passes at one place wouldn't pass at another and vice versa. It's each place to their own.

brake light in parcel shelf with one in the spoiler doesnt make sense to me either, i just pull the globe out when i get cars like that come to work.

as for everyone works by different rules, its because some are leanient others are really strict, others are up to date on laws others still go by the 1960s rules.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my old man is a mechanic not a police officer and he has been asked to do the geelong days

so from what i beleive is that it is not a police officer ( unless they are a qualified mechanic ) will be doing them

this is not the first time it has been done either he done one organised through the racv about 5 years ago it was also they had your car for the day and done all the emissions testing on a dyno to see how the cars were holding up to what ever regs they had when new

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
LTDHO
The one and only

Thanks guys, at least some peaople see the sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob

RWC is a crock.
Ford do not have both lights opporation from Factory, You will find it was fitted at the dealer.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Thanks guys, at least some peaople see the sense!

Ford do not have both lights opporation from Factory, You will find it was fitted at the dealer.
I stand corrected, however, it's far from dangerous. Better to have one extra brake light than one faulty.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Hemicuda
IH8TOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift

if you want a safety inspection book the car into a local mechanic especially one that will do a free safety report and get them to check it out, i dont see cops putting a car onto a hoist and taking wheels off, they dont want to get their pretty little hands dirty as it is.

That is what i was thinking. Are they going to put hoists in cop shops? Blind Freddy can see when a tail light is out, a bald tyre or empty washer bottle. You really shouldn't need to go to a cop shop for them to tell you this. A better idea would be to incorporate car maintenance into license testing because technically, it is up to the driver to make sure that the vehicle they are in control of is roadworthy to the best of their knowledge. This knowledge seems to have too many variances between individuals and people should be better educated. In reality, a driver can be fined $500 for driving an unroadworthy car. (In Vic anyway)
Hemicuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #19
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
, i dont see cops putting a car onto a hoist and taking wheels off, they dont want to get their pretty little hands dirty as it is.
actually the Geelong station have a hoist allready as does the Corio station

the police dont put the cars on the hoist they get an independant workshop ect to do so

hence my old man being asked to take part in this

as for the getting their pretty little hands dirty

would you like me to introduce you to my bro inlaw if he heard you say that i am sure he would like to get his hands dirty on a worthwhile cause :

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post