Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Anyone tried this drive in car photo booth studio in Melbourne?

Just wondering if any Vic based members have tried out this service based in Maidstone?

I drove past it the other day and it sparked my interest.

NOTE: I have no affiliation or business interest in this service, and I am not trying to promote it in anyway.

THE EXPERIENCE:

Cruise your ride into our warehouse and straight into The Studio. Relax in our lounge area while we take loads of images from every possible exterior angel as well as internal shots representing your car in all its glory. You can also join your Car, The Star, in the photo-shoot if you like. Family and friends can also join in! The best 15 images are downloaded in High Res format on the spot for you to take home immediately to enjoy and share.

http://www.auto-photo.com.au/lover.html
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Anyone tried this drive in car photo booth studio in Melbourne?

There are a lot of people on the sales boards putting up very crappy pics of their car, this might be a good help to sell their limo , apart from those just wanting some cool pics of their pride and joy .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

He charges $300 p/h for average photos???
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
He charges $300 p/h for average photos???
$300 for 30 photos... that's only $10 per photo not overly extravegant I'd say.

Sure , anyone can take "free" digital photos of their car nowadays, but the problem in getting good photos of cars is often the lighting, unwanted reflections of buildings, trees on the bodywork and finding non distracting backgrounds or scenic areas to photo your car.

I think this service will do well with car enthusiasts, especially custom car owners, car sellers and with car clubs.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
Trump
bitch lasagne

My issue isn't with the cost, it is the quality of the product I'm questioning. They are average photos at best; there are several forum members that make far better photos with far less gear than this mob.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2016, 10:36 PM   #6
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
My issue isn't with the cost, it is the quality of the product I'm questioning. They are average photos at best; there are several forum members that make far better photos with far less gear than this mob.
Did you look at their examples in the "gallery" section.... Not too shabby for what they are charging I think.
Old 21-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #7
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with Loud_Noises, clean your camera lens, frame your shot, pick the angle and what is in the background, pick the time of day, use the light and maybe use a free cheap editing program and save yourself 300 bucks.
Old 21-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
Did you look at their examples in the "gallery" section.... Not too shabby for what they are charging I think.
I did actually, they didn't impress me one bit and led to my opinion being as it is.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #9
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
I think you would get better value from hiring a professional photographer who has automotive photography experience.

Have a look in the photography section of this forum. There is much better quality in there and most are 'only' enthusiasts.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #10
D Block

I wouldn't expect to see roof trusses reflected in my bonnet for that $$s
D Block is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2016, 12:03 AM   #11
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Some very fussy guys here!

Would definitely consider using them to photo shoot my Landau when I list it for sale in a few months time
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #12
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Block View Post
This!!! Here is a rather obvious example:

Not only that, if you aren't able to mask the number plate without using Paint, you shouldn't be charging $300 p/h.
Old 22-04-2016, 04:12 AM   #13
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I’m not photographer so I can’t comment on the quality or technical aspect of the photos but from a lay point, if I had a nice car and was selling it for $20,000 or more I’d be more than happy to pay $150 to have photos like shown in their gallery for my ‘For Sale’ ad.

I can see what is meant by the roof reflection and I would have thought some appropriate lighting could fix that and the rego plates should be hidden by covers with the company logo and name on them.

Still for $150 I could live with what they are now providing.

If it’s a nice car the photos are good enough to give the appearance to a potential purchaser that you have a quality vehicle for sale.

How much does a professional automotive photographer charge?
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #14
D Block

I'm not a photographer either. I think the good work done by the photographer is being let down by the limitations of the studio, especially the roof truss reflections. Fix that issue and I'd be happy for the dollars.
D Block is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #15
zeph 347
Starter Motor

Yeah guys I'm only new on the site but was at auto photo two weeks ago good guys having a crack and providing a service to those who choose to use it .my car come up fine in the photos so I recommend you talk to the boys if you want that type of thing .....
zeph 347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #16
Patty

Loud noises is an appropriate name for you my friend

In all honesty, if you are paying $150-$300 to take good pics of your car in order to sell it then that's a great idea. Firstly, by doing this your car is going to stand out and look more presentable then 99% of the cars on carsales right now (some people don't even wash their cars before taking pics) and on top of that I would say 90% of people wouldn't even point out that there are roof trusses reflecting onto the pic....

There are a few people here who are being way to fussy and just finding something to complain about. Keep things simple. Would you pay $150 in order to make your car stand out on carsales? Logically absolutely! Would you impress 99% of the people looking through carsales, hell yeh! Win-win in my books.
Patty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #17
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
There are a lot of people on the sales boards putting up very crappy pics of their car, this might be a good help to sell their limo , apart from those just wanting some cool pics of their pride and joy .
LOL 99% of car sales posted on facebook the sellers do not know how to take photos - it is not that hard to do..............

Lets sell my car at 2am in the morning and take 1 photo of it now in the dark and ask $20,000

Or the other - oh I just washed my car and it is all nice and wet and looks good - lets sell it and must take 1 photo now

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #18
Trump
bitch lasagne

Thanks Patty

I am by no means a professional photographer (a hack at best), but I have had some paid photographic work come my way. As such, I would never in a million years offer photos like those above to any client of mine, irrespective of whether they paid $50 for the service or $50,000.

Would I pay $150 to make my car standout on carsales, hell yes; if the car was worth enough, $500 wouldn't be asking too much. But to pay that sort of coin and get the above in return, yeah no.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #19
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Some people on here have made some good points.

However, in regards to most of the pics on carsales I think if they simply gave their car a proper wash and vacuum and cleaned the windows it would improve the pics out of sight. I don't think that the studio mentioned could create any better quality pics with a car that hasn't been washed for years and has rubbish on the floors.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:46 PM   #20
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Some people on here have made some good points. I don't think that the studio mentioned could create any better quality pics with a car that hasn't been washed for years and has rubbish on the floors.
That's why they have a car wash bay on site at that particular photo booth
Old 02-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #21
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
Some very fussy guys here!

Would definitely consider using them to photo shoot my Landau when I list it for sale in a few months time
Ur gonna what????

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #22
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
That's why they have a car wash bay on site at that particular photo booth
I may not have put my point across clearly enough in my last post.

If you were to compare the photos properly and of the excact subject matter in the same conditon (both being dirty and grubby) I don't think that the studio would make that much difference.

I spent 15 years in the motor sales industry and I don't believe going to a studio to take photos is good value. It would be better value to spend the $150 on a average detail and take the photographs yourself.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #23
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I may not have put my point across clearly enough in my last post.

If you were to compare the photos properly and of the excact subject matter in the same conditon (both being dirty and grubby) I don't think that the studio would make that much difference.

I spent 15 years in the motor sales industry and I don't believe going to a studio to take photos is good value. It would be better value to spend the $150 on a average detail and take the photographs yourself.
So out of the 4 images I've attached. You would say that all 4 pics are of equal attraction and professionalism to you? I took the first 2 of the website of this studio and the second 2 off carsales. Same model car, same colour.

Also, why on earth would you take your car to a studio and not have it clean. Again another illogical point.

hcvs2014-3.jpg

hcvs2014-9.jpg

cp5466608086886360105.jpg

cp5222914887000326311.jpg
Old 03-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #24
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
So out of the 4 images I've attached. You would say that all 4 pics are of equal attraction and professionalism to you? I took the first 2 of the website of this studio and the second 2 off carsales. Same model car, same colour.

Also, why on earth would you take your car to a studio and not have it clean. Again another illogical point.

Attachment 92195

Attachment 92196

Attachment 92197

Attachment 92198
The issue with the last two is that the guy who took them has no idea what to look for in a good photo. The fact that one is outside and the other in a studio doesn't make a difference really.
I can take better pics on my phone. First things first make sure there's no shrubs in between the lens and the car.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #25
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo View Post
The issue with the last two is that the guy who took them has no idea what to look for in a good photo. The fact that one is outside and the other in a studio doesn't make a difference really.
I can take better pics on my phone. First things first make sure there's no shrubs in between the lens and the car.
But isn't that the point? Most people don't know how to take a good photo, so a $150 investment by most people to get studio shots would actually prove to be a good call.

It's difficult within this forum to discuss it as most of are car buffs and would know how to detail, prepare our cars and take pics. But the average consumer would have no idea (evidence in carsales)

So the argument is, for the average consumer. Is $150-$300 a good investment to have your car cleaned up and professional photos taken in order to sell it for the best value. I would say yes. If you are selling a late model SS for over $30k and there are another 50 for sale at the same time, it would certainly stand out. I would look at the ad and say to myself "wow, this guy goes the extra mile. Maybe he treats his car the same way".

Last edited by Patty; 03-05-2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #26
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Good photos of a shiny clean car do attract customers.

If you take good photos outside yourself you’re probably going to get reflections and personally I’d want that as it shows the depth and quality of shine.

I see no problem with these photos @ $150 for a ‘For Sale’ ad.

Whether you’d want them as a professional photo shoot portfolio of your car is a different matter and I’d probably opt for no reflections.

Then again, some with reflections and some without would also work for me.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2016, 12:55 AM   #27
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Block View Post
I don't think it's occurred to anyone complaining about the simple, linear reflections on the 'rod that in all probability they're intentional—in order to give the vehicle some solid "form" so it doesn't look like so much a flat, 2-dimensional image.

And the numbers plates are only roughly blocked out on their web site images for security reasons: the actual images the client receives would of course show their number plates.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #28
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

Attachment 92195

Attachment 92196

Attachment 92197

Attachment 92198
Where does it does it say that they clean the car for you in that price? The pics you posted up are not of the same exact car. At no stage did I say the studio photos were just as good as photos taken at home. I just don't see the value of spending that sort of money to receive that sort quality.

Also why on earth would you take photos of your car at home and not clean it first.

Mate, I tend to give everyone a fair go around here. I never attacked what you said. Please don't call my post another illogical point. If you want to pick an argument with me happy to discuss it over PM.

Last edited by PG2; 04-05-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #29
The Snout

Quote:
I would look at the ad and say to myself "wow, this guy goes the extra mile. Maybe he treats his car the same way".
The same point I was going to make. Sends a message to a potential buyer that this guy values his car enough to have studio shots and it has likely been looked after.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #30
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
But isn't that the point? Most people don't know how to take a good photo, so a $150 investment by most people to get studio shots would actually prove to be a good call.

It's difficult within this forum to discuss it as most of are car buffs and would know how to detail, prepare our cars and take pics. But the average consumer would have no idea (evidence in carsales)

So the argument is, for the average consumer. Is $150-$300 a good investment to have your car cleaned up and professional photos taken in order to sell it for the best value. I would say yes. If you are selling a late model SS for over $30k and there are another 50 for sale at the same time, it would certainly stand out. I would look at the ad and say to myself "wow, this guy goes the extra mile. Maybe he treats his car the same way".
That's actually a really good point, I didn't even consider it like that. I think you're right, for someone who isn't that keen on learning some photography techniques, and just wants good decent pics of their car then year it's good value I think. These won't be magazine quality studio shots but I guess that was never the intention.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post