Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
DrPepper
Starter Motor

Default Focus ST real world fuel consumption

Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller.

I am, for the first time in my life, in a position to spend a bit of money on a new(ish) car and am seriously considering a Focus ST. Most likely an LWII. I have read as many reviews as possible and watched about every review on youtube and it really ticks all of my boxes. The only thing holding me back though is the fuel consumption. In all reviews they say they get around 10-11L/100kms. Which is a bit of a worry for me as I do a large number of kms each week, and is a fair bit more than what Ford claim. My other option is an FGII xr6 falcon, manual, and if they get similar fuel figures, I'd most likely jump on the Falcon.

What fuel consumption figures are people getting from their ST's in the real world? I know that the reviewers are most likely flogging the test cars so it's not a good representation of real world figures, but it is a little bit of a worry that these figures are across all reviews.
DrPepper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
CountP

Have a look on www.fuelly.com
CountP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
JVC063

Default Re: Focus ST real world fuel consumption

My ST from new. now with 14000 trip computer is saying 10.1 average. Have a mate and his ST mainly hwy running shows 7.7 lph. I did a trip and independently calculated 5.5 lth. I believe anything under 10 is great in this with the performance it has. IMHO
John
JVC063 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #4
stig_3754

Had mine for roughly 2.5 years, and i'm averaging about 9.0L/100kms. The car has done 43900kms, majority city driving with some freeway driving too.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I average about 9.3 in mine, and I give it a 'really good squirt' OFTEN !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

64k kms on mine, owned since new never reset average fuel intake, intercooler 8.4L/100 kms
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
G6E-T

11.1/100 here, avg speed 35kmh. Avg speed is important when talking fuel averages. Mine reflects peak hour traffic erryday and a heavy foot
G6E-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #8
marko
Marko

9-9.1 modded to stage 3 (intake, intercooler, boost hoses, full 3" exhaust, tune) and that's gunning it often!
Best I saw was 7 traveling between Brissy and Sydney with a low tune loaded only.

Sent while boosting ....
Old 31-01-2016, 01:01 AM   #9
DrPepper
Starter Motor

Awesome. Cheers guys. Exactly the type of info I was after. I appreciate it.

Looks like I'm on the hunt for an ST focus!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:30 AM   #10
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's mine.....I reset the trip meter about 12 months ago as my daily trip changed:

Focus ST
40'086k's
Avg km: 64
Avg fuel: 7.2l/100
Fuel: BP Ultimate

I live in a semi-rural area, so it's pretty easy k's.....no traffic or traffic lights.

I've also calculated the avg fuel after each fill and the readout is pretty accurate.

I have noticed that i get slighty better economy since I've been running Ultimate 98.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulga View Post
Here's mine.....I reset the trip meter about 12 months ago as my daily trip changed:

Focus ST
40'086k's
Avg km: 64
Avg fuel: 7.2l/100
Fuel: BP Ultimate

I live in a semi-rural area, so it's pretty easy k's.....no traffic or traffic lights.

I've also calculated the avg fuel after each fill and the readout is pretty accurate.

I have noticed that i get slighty better economy since I've been running Ultimate 98.
Agree with Ultimate 98. I've been running only Ultimate 98 for the last 6 months or so and I've noticed better economy too
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I sold my ST just before Xmas, and this is what I had recorded since buying the car new back in 2013:

36000km on clock
Average consumption (according to car's computer):7.9l/100km
Have no idea what the average speed was, but I travelled about 110km per day to work, mostly highway.
Fuel was predominantly Caltex 95.

And like some others, whilst my highway driving was pretty cruisy, I would have around the numerous roundabouts along the way.

As an indicator, my 2008 G6 (with ZF gearbox), along the same route to work, averaged around the 7.6l/100km, so noy much difference. I reckon the G6 would be higher in more stop/start traffic tho.

HTH.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wife's ST has about 22,000K's and it's like it's stuck on 9.7lt. It never moves. It's also had a tune and filter in it most of it's life. 2012 model.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #14
deluxe_

Mine is currently at 9.1ltrs/100km and this is with city traffic.
deluxe_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2016, 10:25 PM   #15
aratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper View Post
Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller.

I am, for the first time in my life, in a position to spend a bit of money on a new(ish) car and am seriously considering a Focus ST. Most likely an LWII. I have read as many reviews as possible and watched about every review on youtube and it really ticks all of my boxes. The only thing holding me back though is the fuel consumption. In all reviews they say they get around 10-11L/100kms. Which is a bit of a worry for me as I do a large number of kms each week, and is a fair bit more than what Ford claim. My other option is an FGII xr6 falcon, manual, and if they get similar fuel figures, I'd most likely jump on the Falcon.

What fuel consumption figures are people getting from their ST's in the real world? I know that the reviewers are most likely flogging the test cars so it's not a good representation of real world figures, but it is a little bit of a worry that these figures are across all reviews.
My long term average is 9.8L with an average speed of 40 km/h. You will average 10-11L with city driving - if I do a city only tank then I get low 10's.

Dare I say it, if your doing a lot of kms a week then your probably doing a lot of highway driving. If thats the case, you should see mid 8's.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:27 PM   #16
aratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E-T View Post
11.1/100 here, avg speed 35kmh. Avg speed is important when talking fuel averages. Mine reflects peak hour traffic erryday and a heavy foot
This.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:25 AM   #17
DrPepper
Starter Motor

Cheers for the feedback. I do mostly highway driving to and from work, but live in a city area and do the normal city driving stuff on weekends and afternoons. I have a BA xt at the moment and get an average of around 40 km/h from memory. I usually get around 11l/100kms in the falcon. I know there's a lot of variables but would it be reasonable to expect lower fuel in the focus?

Again, a newb question, but I haven't owned a turbo car before (coming from falcon world) but would the ST be sitting on boost doing the highway run to and from work? Mostly in 80 and 100kph zones?
Old 07-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #18
aratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper View Post
Cheers for the feedback. I do mostly highway driving to and from work, but live in a city area and do the normal city driving stuff on weekends and afternoons. I have a BA xt at the moment and get an average of around 40 km/h from memory. I usually get around 11l/100kms in the falcon. I know there's a lot of variables but would it be reasonable to expect lower fuel in the focus?

Again, a newb question, but I haven't owned a turbo car before (coming from falcon world) but would the ST be sitting on boost doing the highway run to and from work? Mostly in 80 and 100kph zones?
My long term average is 9.8L at 41 km/h so I reckon you will get around that, perhaps less, based on what you've said. If you're averaging 11 in a Falcon then it sounds like you drive fairly sedately so you might even get low 9's, at a guess.

No, at motorway cruising speeds you won't be anywhere near boost
Old 16-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #19
tomg
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aratic View Post
My long term average is 9.8L at 41 km/h so I reckon you will get around that, perhaps less, based on what you've said. If you're averaging 11 in a Falcon then it sounds like you drive fairly sedately so you might even get low 9's, at a guess.

No, at motorway cruising speeds you won't be anywhere near boost
Agree that you won't be using boost on cruise.

I drive around 60klms each way to work on country highway and get 7.7L/100k!
I got the ST new in October and have 13,000klms on the clock. Great car!

Tom
tomg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #20
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Just for giggles, I took the ST up to Bathurst in 2014 and came home via Canberra and Cann river, leaving from Cowra. That trip, according to google maps, is 711km.

I could have easily made it on one tank! I didn't coz I used the refuel as a reason to make a stop given that I was travelling by myself after a big weekend. But it would have made it easy.

Point of this is that highway driving in the ST is VERY economical.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post