Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
NAFairlane

Default Idols & Heroes.

OK i'm looking to see who people's heroes are. Who you idolise and see as incredible people. Lets see who your two 2 or 3 are. Include reasons if you wish or just names.

Mine are:

1. Lance Armstrong - I think he is possibly one of the greatest people ever to walk the earth. Certainly one of the greatest sportsmen of all time

2. Ayrton Senna - It intrigues me how someone can be such an incredible driver, have skill's that allow him to seem so friendly and nice at moment, and then so ignorant the cruel the next. But off the track give so much to so many. Just watching some of the footage of him on and off the track just fills me with awe.

Your turn

NAFairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Heroes.

i have a different view on hero's, i don't think sportsmen deserve the rating of a hero, but i wont get into that here. However there are many sportsmen who do incredible things outside there sport.
For me this is simple

1. All the Australian Victoria Cross winners
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
i have a different view on hero's, i don't think sportsmen deserve the rating of a hero, but i wont get into that here. However there are many sportsmen who do incredible things outside there sport.
For me this is simple
i typically agree, but...i go with Alex zanardi

loses his legs in a shocking motor racing crash...and then goes back to motor racing with some kind of sorcery powering him

that kind of determination is inspiring. makes it easier when you have buckets of cash to help you of course...but amazing none the less
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Australians seem to associate the word "Hero" with Sportsmen, they're not heroes in the true sense of the word.

Hero, someone who has sacrificed something for the wellbeing of others, in my opinion. Does something for the community, rather than personal gain.

Eg - CFA
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ralph Hinkley

AKA

William Katt
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone who in the not too distant past fought for the freedom I enjoy today, including my grandfathers and their fathers/grandfathers/great grandfathers.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Anyone who in the not too distant past fought for the freedom I enjoy today, including my grandfathers and their fathers/grandfathers/great grandfathers.
This.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Australians seem to associate the word "Hero" with Sportsmen, they're not heroes in the true sense of the word.

Hero, someone who has sacrificed something for the wellbeing of others, in my opinion. Does something for the community, rather than personal gain.

Eg - CFA
i think it is up to the individual to decide who they make as personal heroes and for what reason

i do agree with you entirely about the cfa - plus ambos, police, ses, volunteers that help out with disasters, the defense force - but in my opinion they are classed more as community heroes and should be respected by all

my personal heroes in order of annointment
allan moffat, nelson piquet, eddie van halen and michael's andretti and schumacher
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i think it is up to the individual to decide who they make as personal heroes and for what reason
agreed

i think this is where people are getting confused and hopping on their soapbox.

i don't think the OP is saying these people are heroes but who they look up to for inspiration or enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostsane
Batman....
thats just silly...

the Phantom is much better!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
NAFairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
I don't think the OP is saying these people are heroes but who they look up to for inspiration or enjoyment.
Yeah, what he said haha this is what i meant.

I know some of you have mentioned you dont believe in sports people being a hero as such. However, my view is that its not about their sporting achievements as such. But who they are as people.

Take Lance Armstrong for example. He's an elite athlete, the best of the best. He won the Tour De France once and was diagnosed with a very severe strain of testicular cancer and lost nearly everything. He was given about a 20% chance to survive, the cancer spread elsewhere in his body. He had to have a testicle amputated. After a number of years away from cycling he returned having overcome the cancer. He then went on to win the Tour De France 7 consecutive times.

He proved than no matter how bad things are, even if you lose everything, if you put your mind to it, you can achieve anything and everything

this is why he is my hero.

sportsmen can't be heroes my ****. lol

/end rant
Old 29-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFairlane
sportsmen can't be heroes

/end rant
I never said sportsmen can't be heros I said their sporting acheivements don't make them a hero.
If a sportsman risked life and limb unselflishly to save other people that would make them a hero.
If they won a game against all odds that is not heroic it is doing their job just like any other employee. that would be like me being called a hero because I recovered data for a customer when everyone else had tried and was unsucsessful. can you see the stupidity in that scenario? well calling someone a hero for winning a game they are employed to play is just as stupid.

the worst thing about hero worshiping sportsmen is we seem to worship the most moronic , the ones who think they can play life by a different set of rules take Shane Warne as an example.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
Pis-ton broke
Banned

all those men that fought in wars that our goverment says to do. i have worked with veterans , i am always very respectfull.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #13
NAFairlane

i'm glad to see not everyone has the same opinion on what you classify as a hero.

Also forgot to mention above, bashing of other people's opinion's will not be tolerated. Each to their own for their own reasons
Old 28-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Some say sportsmen shouldn't be classed as heroes, I disagree..
My first hero is Andrew Mcleod. His work with aboriginal communities is amazing and he has inspired many troubled indigenous youths to play football and make something of themselves. His football is/was great, but his community work even better.
Number two is probably not deserving of it but he's my hero and I don't care what others think: Noel Gallagher, Oasis frontman. For all the drugs, alcohol and stupid personal choices he made, he produced some amazing music. Great voice, great man.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Some say sportsmen shouldn't be classed as heroes, I disagree..
My first hero is Andrew Mcleod. His work with aboriginal communities is amazing and he has inspired many troubled indigenous youths to play football and make something of themselves. His football is/was great, but his community work even better.
Number two is probably not deserving of it but he's my hero and I don't care what others think: Noel Gallagher, Oasis frontman. For all the drugs, alcohol and stupid personal choices he made, he produced some amazing music. Great voice, great man.
Must be an Adelaide thing, ditto to both. When it comes to Macca, he could have quite easily ended up angry like Winmar or on the wrong side of the tracks like the Krakouers, but instead he has shown a lot of class on and off the field and thinks he can now make a positive contribution within his community. I think Michael Long is also cut from the same cloth. One more from the AFL, Jim Stynes has also shown a lot of class when he really needed to rest but he still managed to put the club and its supporters before himself, right when the club needed him most. One of the best images from last year was when a sick Jim Stynes went and sat and talked to the cheer squad in the outer at the MCG just to see how they were enjoying Melbourne’s on field revival. Why can't sportsmen be heroes, aren't they people too? He would have been a hero to those sitting around him that afternoon.

Ok Noel Gallagher has shed the bad boy image leaving it instead with his brother. They came from a very tough upbringing and really are a product of abuse. Noel after much success but many drugs finally one day woke up from his stupor and grew up and now accepts himself for what he is. He is known amongst his own peers as the wise man of rock and he now plays with some of music's finest musicians, and he does do benefits for charity. He is the voice of a generation, like Lennon, Dylon and Elvis before him, who were/are Hero's to many as well.

All of these guys have been lucky enough to follow their dream but it is how much they put back that counts.

Good call
Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jesus. Put all the religious stuff aside; a man that loved people and helped others less fortunate while frowning upon the rich and conceited shows where we're going wrong. I wish I could be that forgiving. I think I have an anger issue.

Gary Ablett - as a footballer, he was just brilliant. I realise now how spoiled I was being able to watch him as a kid.

My Grandma - a mother-figure for me who despite being a pedant, had a great heart.

Jim Henson - a man who through his creativity and imagination brought so much joy to people. When Jim died, so did Ernie and Kermit.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #17
pb02
inconceivable!

Dick Hoyt... (look up team Hoyt). This guy is amazing and a true hero to me!

Also someone I really look up to in automotive circles is Colin Chapman.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
almostsane

someone has to do it....

Batman....
Old 29-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #19
Fireblade
Wizard Member

1. My Dad, to stick by my Mum through years of illness culminating in her passing away and not waiver in his strength through it all, I'm not sure I could do the same.

2. Dare I say it.... Charlie Sheen, who cares what anyone thinks.

3. Mick Doohan, dominating in a category like 500CC (MotoGP now) back then with some absolute champions and also have a major crash and still come back and win more championships is a testament to his strength and character.
Old 29-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Princess Diana. Far and away.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #21
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jack Thompson - seems like a thoroughly decent bloke, and brave enough to live with two wives at the same time.
Bob Marley - an advocate for people putting their differences aside and getting on with life.
Rosa Parks - an opponent of institutionalised racism. Refused to give up a bus seat for a white man in the Deep South.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks
Never thought I'd say it - Malcolm Fraser.
Germaine Greer - okay, she spouts a load of drivel occasionally but made a difference in many women's lives.
Phil Dickie - a Qld reporter who dared to say that the cops were corrupt, which led to the end of Joh.

Last edited by shedcoupe; 29-03-2011 at 12:30 PM.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here’s my view

Sports people / celebrities as heroes for being sports people & celebrities NO

Sports people & celebrities who use there public appeal to help others in the community well yes absolutely

Our volunteers who unselfishly fight fires, clean up after natural disasters for no money or personal gain absolutely.

Those who get paid for it such as myself, eh nope it’s a job we chose, no different to being a plumber or a mechanic IMHO.

People who work with the disadvantaged in the community for no personal gain heroes

Put simply hero’s go above and beyond what a normal person walking down the street would do.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #23
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me its more inspirational rather than hero worship.

Military serviceman, emergency personal etc etc

Muhammad Ali : No explanation needed.

Lance Armstrong : Seriously the blokes not human.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

yeti - i may be wrong but i don't think the OP meant to open that can of worms. perhaps he should've used the word 'idol' or 'mentor' or something to stop people argueing over 'hero'.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #25
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Emergency services
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #26
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sick of hearing sportsmen being refered to as heros there are just overpaid people doing a job they enjoy.
here is a reasonable definition of a hero
A hero (heroine for females) (Ancient Greek: ἥρως, hḗrōs), in Greek mythology and folklore, was originally a demigod, their cult being one of the most distinctive features of ancient Greek religion.[1] Later, hero (male) and heroine (female) came to refer to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity

here are some true heros
Douglas Bader
John Simpson Kirkpatrick

List of Australians Awarded the Victoria Cross

This list is presented by campaign (earliest first), and by surname (alphabetically). Adapted from: They Dared Mightily by Lionel Wigmore et al, published by the AWM 1986.
NB. The location of some of these Victoria Crosses may have changed since this book was published.
Boer War
BELL FW
BISDEE JH
HOWSE NR
MAYGAR LC
ROGERS J
WYLLY GG
World War 1
VCs earned at Gallipoli are identified by G
AXFORD TL
BEATHAM RM
BIRKS F
BLACKBURN AS
BORELLA A
BROWN WE
BUCKLEY AH
BUCKLEY MV
BUGDEN PJ
BURTON AS G
CARROL J
CARTWRIGHT G
CASTLETON CC
CHERRY PH
COOKE T
CURREY WM
DALZIEL H
DARTNELL WT
DAVEY P
DUNSTAN W G
DWYER JJ
GABY AE
GORDON BS
GRIEVE RC
HALL AC
HAMILTON JP G
HOWELL GJ
INGRAM GM
INWOOD RR
JACKA A G
JACKSON JWA
JEFFRIES CS
JENSEN JC
JOYNT WD
KENNY TJB
KEYSOR LM G
LEAK J
LOWERSON AD
MACTIER R
MAXWELL J
McCARTHY LD
McDOUGALL SR
McGEE L
McNAMARA FH
MOON RV
MURRAY HW
NEWLAND JE
O’MEARA M
PEELER W
POPE C
RUTHVEN W
RYAN J
SADLIER CWK
SEXTON G (AKA BUCKLEY MV)
SHOUT AJ G
STATTON PC
STORKEY PV
SYMONS WJ G
THROSSELL HVH G
TOWNER ET
TUBB FH G
WARK BA
WEATHERS LC
WHITTLE JW
WOODS JP Russia
PEARSE SG
SULLIVAN AP
World War 2
ANDERSON CGW
CHOWNE A
CUTLER AR
DERRICK TC
EDMONDSON JH
EDWARDS HI
FRENCH JA
GORDON JH
GRATWICK PE
GURNEY AS
KELLIHER R
KENNA E
KIBBY WH
KINGSBURY BS
MACKEY JB
MIDDLETON RH
NEWTON WE
PARTRIDGE FJ
RATTEY RR
STARCEVICH LT
Vietnam War
BADCOE PJ
PAYNE K
SIMPSON RS
WHEATLEY KA
Afghanistan War
DONALDSON MG

It is a sad day when we put sportsmens (tin heros)deeds above those of real heros, men who risked their lives for the good of others with no regard for their own life

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
Zero_PSI
Banned

1. My family - every single one would give their life for each other

2. My missus

3. Eric clapton
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #28
ch33z1l
Dawn

I'll say Nelson Mandela, his biography and the documentary was absolutely amazing!
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Colonel Harland David Sanders. he holds a special place in my heart.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #30
oddnutz

Henry Ford - without him this thread and these forums would not be here for me to make this post.

Anyone who puts their life at risk to protect or save others.

Last edited by oddnutz; 29-03-2011 at 05:08 PM.
oddnutz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post