The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Falcon at forefront of stop-start technology

Falcon at forefront of stop-start technology
Barry Park
December 28, 2010 - 3:27PM
Ford’s Falcon is in line to be the first non-hybrid Australian car to introduce automatic stop-start engine technology that can reduce fuel use.

Ford Australia’s US parent announced overnight that it will gradually start to roll out technology that can shut down a car’s engine while it is stopped in traffic, and instantly re-start it when the driver lifts off the brake pedal.

The stop-start engine technology - already available on various imported cars from the likes of BMW, Audi, Land Rover and Alfa Romeo - will initially be offered across the yet to be seen new Falcon's four-cylinder EcoBoost engines from 2012.

Late in 2011, the Falcon large car will add a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder EcoBoost engine to its choice of drivetrains, which at the moment is limited to the current 4.0-litre in-line six-cylinder engine running on either petrol or LPG.

According to Ford, the stop-start technology — which will eventually extend to V6 and V8 engines including the normally aspirated ‘‘Coyote’’ 5.0-litre V8 that is yet to make its way under the Falcon’s bonnet - can save owners between 4 and 10 per cent of their fuel bill.

It relies on the engine’s fuel-injection system, which can spray the exact amount of fuel directly into the most efficient part of the engine’s cylinder, which in turn allows the engine to restart almost instantly.

Ford says the system uses an enhanced 12-volt battery and upgraded starter motor to cope with the additional starts.

It says the stop-start engines will include a light on the dash that alerts the driver when the engine is off, and a special tachometer that falls into a green zone when the engine is not running.

Ford Australia has other potential fuel-saving technologies it is yet to apply to the Falcon large car, including an electric steering pump that only works the engine to make the steering feel lighter when needed, and a dual-clutch automatic gearbox that can send power to the rear wheels without relying on a conventional automatic gearbox’s power-sapping torque converter or hydraulic pumps.

Ford says the stop-start system is also available on diesel engines, meaning the 2.7-litre V6 turbo diesel slated for the facelifted Territory soft-roader, due in April, could also arrive with the technology fitted.

A spokesperson for Ford Australia was unavailable for comment

My comment " wasn't the Eco-Boost due in June ? it now could be 2012???"

Old 28-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Hmm interesting. I didn't know this sort of tech was even around let alone being used already.

I guess firstly has anyone had any experience with this "stop/start" feature? What's it like?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my old cortina had the stop start technology.it was very embarassing having to get out and short the + and - starter terminals at every traffic light.hope they have improved things since...
Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
I guess firstly has anyone had any experience with this "stop/start" feature? What's it like?
I think it would be just like standard traffic travelling, but with additional hesitation when taking off, noise from the starter motor and cabin vibrations as the engine is below idle RPMs for a second or two.

EDIT: BMW Serie 1 EfficentDynamics Start-Stop

Last edited by block58; 28-12-2010 at 07:04 PM.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I drove a Camry hybrid when I was in NZ and it (like all hybrids) has this feature. Cant even tell the engine is being started until it's already running in most cases. I know this thread is about non-hybrids using this tech but thats my experience with it.

The only issue I have on the V8s, along with afm tech like GM use, is that you lose the sound of your V8. You want to hear it idling when your sitting at the lights. Well I do anyway....

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

what happens to the aircon when you are at a set of lights? Electric compressor?
Old 28-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxa384
my old cortina had the stop start technology.it was very embarassing having to get out and short the + and - starter terminals at every traffic light.hope they have improved things since...
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
what happens to the aircon when you are at a set of lights? Electric compressor?
Turns off

I have driven a car with stop start and I hated it, I don't care about the environment and saving 2L/100km if i did I'd be a hippy and go ferral... At least it will come with a switch so you don't have to use it!
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

also when your car turns off does that mean you lose your radio, air con etc?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
I drove a Camry hybrid when I was in NZ and it (like all hybrids) has this feature. Cant even tell the engine is being started until it's already running in most cases. I know this thread is about non-hybrids using this tech but thats my experience with it.

The only issue I have on the V8s, along with afm tech like GM use, is that you lose the sound of your V8. You want to hear it idling when your sitting at the lights. Well I do anyway....
i agree but wouldn't a little jab on the throttle cover that

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
also when your car turns off does that mean you lose your radio, air con etc?
aircon yes but radio no

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

What a load of rubbish, i only heard of this technology the other night on TGUK as the Porsche Panamera has it. Really in the end what is it really going to do for you?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
kezzer

you'd save more fuel doing what they do in the mini's (?) with the full under car shell to help with drag if anyone knows what I mean
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

lets all have copious amounts of metal expansion and contraction to save 3c worth of fuel!!!!!
Old 28-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
you'd save more fuel doing what they do in the mini's (?) with the full under car shell to help with drag if anyone knows what I mean
I think this technology is best suited to hybrids personally. If you are in stop start traffic where you need to crawl along very slowly I can see the wear and tear costing you more in the long run than the savings in petrol.

I'm sure it has all been design and engineered to stop / start etc but still.

Close to where I used to live there was a set of lights at the bottom of a slight downhill that was around 600m long. Sometimes I used to turn the engine off and coast it in neural when I knew I was going to sit through 4-5 traffic light phases (which was often).

I was not alone in doing this, and used to see a lot of cars roll then nosedive when started when the brake pressure kicked back in (I started my car holding it with the hand brake).

Going up the hill was just as long and slow, but no engine off that time.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
kezzer

doesn't the ecoboost idle on **** all fuel anyway??

And some good points yellow-festiva. For start stop traffic it'd be very handy, but the stress it would put on your alternator etc. And do you know what I mean with the undercar shell? Maybe wasn't clear enough
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
Bobman
Regulator

Pretty poor technology and dangerous too I think.

I always understood that turning your car off at the lights used more fuel than just leaving it on anyway.

Can only imagine how annoying this would be - especially when waiting for a clearing in traffic for a right-hand turn and the engine cutting out when halfway through.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
lets all have copious amounts of metal expansion and contraction to save 3c worth of fuel!!!!!
Couldnt agreed more
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #19
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh I dont like the sound of this. I always use my air cond.

What happens when the battery starts suffering from voltage drop? Is there an early warning system? Considering that now we are lucky for car batteries to make it out of warranty period before failing, how is this going to help?
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
doesn't the ecoboost idle on **** all fuel anyway??

And some good points yellow-festiva. For start stop traffic it'd be very handy, but the stress it would put on your alternator etc. And do you know what I mean with the undercar shell? Maybe wasn't clear enough
Yeah I know what you mean regarding undercar shell. I had a 59 Bugeye Sprite and the bottom was pretty smooth, the drive shaft was hidden under a long steel panel, looked nice and neat.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive used it an Audi Q7 diesel in Sydney and it works really well, although you can feel the car turn on and off, there is a very slight shudder as you go to take off again. The funniest thing is that people next to you at traffic lights think you have conked out and give you bemused looks.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #22
dylancox

BMW M3 has this feature. It is rather embarrassing, and very unsettling when that nice V8 idle settles into silence when your foot is on the brake. The system was rather erratic.. the engine wouldn't turn off at a predictable number of seconds with the foot being on the pedal. The engine re-started up instantly, couldn't even hear the starter motor.

Putting this tech on an EcoBoost 4cyl is a bit scary.. I thought turbos need a cooling off period and don't take too kindly to being shut down while hot (expansion/contraction wreaking havoc on bearings/etc).
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Pretty poor technology and dangerous too I think.

I always understood that turning your car off at the lights used more fuel than just leaving it on anyway.

Can only imagine how annoying this would be - especially when waiting for a clearing in traffic for a right-hand turn and the engine cutting out when halfway through.
i think useing a heap of fuel to restart was in the poorly tuned carby days and does not apply in this day and age of efi, i reckon it won`t put much strain on the alternator and battery as the motor will start allmost iinstantly, in my area with long duration traffic lights it would save a lot of go juice imo, i look forward to it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #24
Scott

How would it be to live with in heavy traffic - like in Sydney when you can often move only metres at a time?

I might get into the starter motor & battery business.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #25
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If fuel economy is that much a concern, you need a smaller car.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

They have these on the diesel transits in the UK (think Ford developed them there) but I thought I was reading they were having a fair few problems with it in terms of durability.
Old 28-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #27
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In theory it sounds good, and has been on overseas manufacturers for ages. But overall I think it's a waste of time.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #28
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Doesnt the Fiesta Econetic have this?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #29
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The John Deer Gator (type of diesel off road golf buggy ute used at farms, golf courses, race courses etc) has this technology. I used one when I was a horticulturalist at a University and I thought it was fantastic, even tho it was an industrial version of stop-go where the take off was a second delay after planting the pedal.
I always wonderd why cars dont have this as fuel is wasted sitting at traffic lights and the like.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #30
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
What a load of rubbish, i only heard of this technology the other night on TGUK as the Porsche Panamera has it. Really in the end what is it really going to do for you?
You could make money selling starter motors.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post