Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-02-2024, 09:11 PM   #5581
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Father hooked his boat and trailer up to the Ranger Wildtrak, drove it 40 minutes out of town to put the thing back in the water after the recent flood threat. Made it almost all the way, most of it sitting on 100 kph, rounded a corner at low speed and CLUNK. Tow bar yanked out of the socket, the chains only just saved it but had mere mm before being the chains letting go after being scraped across the road.

Thankfully, no damage to the car or boat, but the trailer now needs work. Frankly, it's a miracle the thing stayed on there as long as it did, if it had let go at 100 kph, it would have caused the car and trailer to roll. It's a pontoon boat, so th
around removing tow bar hitch pins on unsuspecting motorists under the cover of darkness. From what I have been told, its a common "trick" at the moment.

What I don't get is, the idiot who did this would not have even been there to get a laugh out of the situation. So why do it? Jealously because someone has worked their ar.e off their whole life, and until now had never bought something like this, a reward for actually working to earn something.
Closest i have ever come to that was when i was 14. I was in the bog so dad hooked up the boat to the then new benz. Safety chain on but the 25km drive to the ramp at nowra, its a steep incline down to the ramp area. Dad forgot to put the handle down on the trailer hich so it popped off. It was a light 4.7m half cab. The bow rail hit the rear windscreen of the car but didnt break it, the trailer left a smallish scratch on the tailgate so all in all, not terrible. Funnily enough only weeks earlier my old man was telling of how one of his employees did the same thing with his 5m quintrex and it wrote of his not that old wh stato.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2024, 09:26 PM   #5582
Itsme
Experienced Member

I have habit of drilling extra hole in the hitch pin for a small padlock, mainly for theft of hitch; maybe your father should do this for added protection against idiots.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2024, 09:38 PM   #5583
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
I have habit of drilling extra hole in the hitch pin for a small padlock, mainly for theft of hitch; maybe your father should do this for added protection against idiots.
Something like these?

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/kovix-hitch...ck/605699.html

https://shop.action4x4.net.au/hitch-...-ford-key.html
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2024, 09:56 PM   #5584
Kicking back

On my dads benz he had a locking one, so needed a key to take out the pin. My manager who years later became a good mate of mine, well, he had a square hitch flogged off the work hilux, but instead of a locking pin did a double nutted bolt. That seemed to work as in he never had any further issues.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2024, 10:00 PM   #5585
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Father hooked his boat and trailer up to the Ranger Wildtrak, drove it 40 minutes out of town to put the thing back in the water after the recent flood threat. Made it almost all the way, most of it sitting on 100 kph, rounded a corner at low speed and CLUNK. Tow bar yanked out of the socket, the chains only just saved it but had mere mm before being the chains letting go after being scraped across the road.

Thankfully, no damage to the car or boat, but the trailer now needs work. Frankly, it's a miracle the thing stayed on there as long as it did, if it had let go at 100 kph, it would have caused the car and trailer to roll. It's a pontoon boat, so the trailer is very wide and long. Also thankful someone was following him to make the trip and lent a helping hand and spare hitch pin.

Apparently, its a thing for the braindead unemployed of Australia to go around removing tow bar hitch pins on unsuspecting motorists under the cover of darkness. From what I have been told, its a common "trick" at the moment.

What I don't get is, the idiot who did this would not have even been there to get a laugh out of the situation. So why do it? Jealously because someone has worked their ar.e off their whole life, and until now had never bought something like this, a reward for actually working to earn something.
Why oh why didn’t he check things like hitch pins, coupling safety catches.trailer lighting safety chains etc.I thought that was just common sense.Luckily he didn’t seriously injure or worse some innocent driving the opposite way
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2024, 10:45 PM   #5586
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Why oh why didn’t he check things like hitch pins, coupling safety catches.trailer lighting safety chains etc.I thought that was just common sense.Luckily he didn’t seriously injure or worse some innocent driving the opposite way
Fair call. I guess it's too much to expect that a vehicle parked on your own property wouldn't be vandalized by a meth head.
Mustang GT

Old 10-02-2024, 10:11 PM   #5587
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That (interference in the driveway) happened to me - wheel bolts loose.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2024, 10:16 PM   #5588
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fair call. I guess it's too much to expect that a vehicle parked on your own property wouldn't be vandalized by a meth head.
It happens.we were out and the neighbours noticed a car pull up to the gate and sit there for a little bit.Neighbour walked ovet to the fence. then, when those in the car saw him they backed out and took off.Who knows what sort of no good they were going to do.
Old 12-02-2024, 09:32 AM   #5589
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

What I hate is .... people that decide to start the meeting 15 minutes early off the "upcoming meeting" notification ..... but they keep the meeting running.

Then when you turn up on-time they whinge about no one being there before the meeting.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2024, 04:11 PM   #5590
Kicking back

I was at the servo, and firstly there was a tesla at the pump in front of me, the spaces for shopping were empty, and closer to the shop. Then when i went in to pay, the line was backed up to the door because the lady who was being served was seemingly doing a weekly grocery shop.... in a shell servo. Then it was the standard issue, 5 declined credit cards and finally the 6th went through. Yep, she was the tesla driver. Once she left it was standard issue for the 6 people in front of me and myself, no eye contact, pump X thanks and tap and leave.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2024, 07:53 PM   #5591
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my roof inspected last week and got the quote today and well **** me it came in around $7.7k!

For context I have a persistent leak near the front during very heavy rain but not really big and only had a leak in my bedroom during a biblical amount of rain a couple of weeks ago, never happened before.

So here was I thinking that includes fixing the leaks and doing a full rebed and repoint of the entire roof. No that is just for those leaks!

They have said I need new wider and deeper valleys (3 even though the other 2 don't leak at all though may be due to them being connected by the ridges) and rebed and repoint that and the ridge over on the bedroom.

11m of valley @ ~$340/m and 22m @ ~$115/m although it would appear they have tacked on ~5m. I guesstimated roughly 44m to do all the ridges so basically double that.

Is this taking the **** or not? I have more valleys than that with what I'd assume would carry more water and no leaks there.

I'd expected that the quote would itemise the inspection report but there was stuff not quoted that I pointed out and things not even discussed at the time in the report and not quoted.

I don't usually stuff around with multiple quotes but in this instance it would be wise to get another 1 or 2
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2024, 08:07 PM   #5592
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Yes, get another quote - even if it only helps adjust your expectations.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2024, 08:23 PM   #5593
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Yes, get another quote - even if it only helps adjust your expectations.
Yes it could just be that, my expectations. I won't be leading others as to what this one was for so if you get 2 or 3 in total you can kind of get an idea but of course they could all conflict too

Been some storms and Canberra generally not cheap anyway. As it were I only got the inspection last week due to cancellation otherwise it would have been March!
Old 13-02-2024, 10:09 PM   #5594
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I had my roof inspected last week and got the quote today and well **** me it came in around $7.7k!

For context I have a persistent leak near the front during very heavy rain but not really big and only had a leak in my bedroom during a biblical amount of rain a couple of weeks ago, never happened before.

So here was I thinking that includes fixing the leaks and doing a full rebed and repoint of the entire roof. No that is just for those leaks!

They have said I need new wider and deeper valleys (3 even though the other 2 don't leak at all though may be due to them being connected by the ridges) and rebed and repoint that and the ridge over on the bedroom.

11m of valley @ ~$340/m and 22m @ ~$115/m although it would appear they have tacked on ~5m. I guesstimated roughly 44m to do all the ridges so basically double that.

Is this taking the **** or not? I have more valleys than that with what I'd assume would carry more water and no leaks there.

I'd expected that the quote would itemise the inspection report but there was stuff not quoted that I pointed out and things not even discussed at the time in the report and not quoted.

I don't usually stuff around with multiple quotes but in this instance it would be wise to get another 1 or 2
It's been my experience that repairers chuck out a figure to see if it sticks, if not no harm, worth a try to rip someone off.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2024, 10:53 PM   #5595
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
It's been my experience that repairers chuck out a figure to see if it sticks, if not no harm, worth a try to rip someone off.
Yep, if there's a lot of work around most can afford to be picky and throw out overpriced quotes, they might have enough jobs on the books to keep them going for months, if you said yes to the price they would just postpone someone else's job, as yours will be the better payer

I used to work for a guy like this long ago, priority jobs were always the ones paying the most.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2024, 11:24 PM   #5596
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes definitely have seen that tactic used before. There would definitely be plenty of work around at the moment so makes sense. I'll have a look around and get a basis for comparison.
Old 13-02-2024, 11:40 PM   #5597
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Won’t be so much roofing going on right now in winter Europe - maybe see if a tradie wants a working holiday.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2024, 08:53 PM   #5598
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Websites that overload on the pop-up sales prompts!

In the image below, there are four separate pop-ups cluttering the screen, obscuring what I'm trying to read or trying to buy. Sometimes, this strategy is compounded by a poorly visible or hidden dismissal tab to click on.

I liken this to be the online equivalent of a pushy salesman who jumps on a customer the very second they step through the door. In that case, for me at least, I immediately push back and feel inclined to NOT buy something. And so proves for online shopping as well.

Just like in retail, it should be a balance. I'm intrigued by saving 10% on my first order, but I don't want to be hammered with the message either. I also wonder how a sales program cannot determine if you are a regular visitor of the webstore, and yet Google can accurately spam me with "relevant" adds from that same company. *

(For the record, I am NOT that sort of pushy salesman, mainly because I know how much I hate it myself. That doesn't mean I ignore customers, but I don't feel the need to hunt them down, I rather be more subtle and gracious, which is a fine line to tread. At the end of the day, if the customer wants something, then they will buy it..........especially if they feel comfortable and at ease. And I also hate the greeting "are you right here"...............I shudder at that, its comes off as arrogant and almost disrespectful.)
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2024, 09:44 PM   #5599
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

So is the red one $16.45 better than the green one?, does it water faster or does it water for you for the extra coin
5 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2024, 10:35 PM   #5600
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The question for me, is - do any of them have a stainless steel spring inside, because that’s the Number One failure point of my hose nozzles.
Old 15-02-2024, 11:05 PM   #5601
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
The question for me, is - do any of them have a stainless steel spring inside, because that’s the Number One failure point of my hose nozzles.
Those particular Dramm sprayers have a ball valve rather than the plunger type found on most consumer sprayers, far more reliable in high frequency use. We use them because they don't impede water flow and soften the output. Trigger/plunger type choke the flow and slow down efficiency.

https://duralirrigation.com.au/produ...tern-spray-gun
https://duralirrigation.com.au/produ...ne-touch-wands
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2024, 11:30 PM   #5602
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Probably handy around the yard, too risky on jobs - someone would damage it through carelessness.
Old 16-02-2024, 02:45 PM   #5603
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
So is the red one $16.45 better than the green one?, does it water faster or does it water for you for the extra coin
That maybe the one, Made in China.

I hate the way this stuff in creeping into places like $ydney tools now.

Was buying a Lennox hand sawall, spotted 2 together, $10 difference, ahh one was Chinesm.
Even Knipex are doing it now.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2024, 06:20 PM   #5604
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

I hate how you have to make the decision to put an old pet down, Found this cat as a kitten that hadn't even opened its eyes 16 years ago fed him with a eye dropper until he could eat himself, followed me around like a dog, even used to come running when you whistled, noticed that he was getting thinner a few weeks ago, from 8KG now just over 3kg, took him to the vet a few weeks ago and they confirmed what we though seeing he is now old, he's not moving much and has as of this morning gone off eating, so it looks like we have to make the decision, its hard to tell if he is in any pain so its more a quality of life rather than quantity, as he is not going to get any better.
Old 16-02-2024, 06:28 PM   #5605
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

8kg! He obviously had a good life with you.

I always have them put down at home, it’s a couple of hundred extra but I think less stressful to the animal and keeps a distracted driver off the road. Although one of the vets cried a little.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2024, 06:40 PM   #5606
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I hate how you have to make the decision to put an old pet down, Found this cat as a kitten that hadn't even opened its eyes 16 years ago fed him with a eye dropper until he could eat himself, followed me around like a dog, even used to come running when you whistled, noticed that he was getting thinner a few weeks ago, from 8KG now just over 3kg, took him to the vet a few weeks ago and they confirmed what we though seeing he is now old, he's not moving much and has as of this morning gone off eating, so it looks like we have to make the decision, its hard to tell if he is in any pain so its more a quality of life rather than quantity, as he is not going to get any better.
Have been through that with4 dogs now,get the vet to do it very painless that way,BUT, I can tell you it doesn’t get any easier.Our next one hopefully won’t be for another 5-6 years but I know now it will be just as had if not more so when the time comes
6 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2024, 06:44 PM   #5607
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Probably handy around the yard, too risky on jobs - someone would damage it through carelessness.
Pretty much.

I'm pretty anal with hoses and hose fittings, the smallest things annoy me.................................

Brand new hose left like this boils my blood.

Those Dramm water breakers are made in plastic and diecast aluminum. Staff would drop the wand on the ground and gradually chip away at the plastic surrounding the metal water breaker until it would spurt water out the side.

It would be replaced with another plastic one with the warning DONT DROP PLEASE. Again and again, until I suggested spending the extra on the aluminum one............... and the problem stopped.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2024, 07:12 PM   #5608
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Websites that overload on the pop-up sales prompts!

In the image below, there are four separate pop-ups cluttering the screen, obscuring what I'm trying to read or trying to buy. Sometimes, this strategy is compounded by a poorly visible or hidden dismissal tab to click on.

I liken this to be the online equivalent of a pushy salesman who jumps on a customer the very second they step through the door. In that case, for me at least, I immediately push back and feel inclined to NOT buy something. And so proves for online shopping as well.

Just like in retail, it should be a balance. I'm intrigued by saving 10% on my first order, but I don't want to be hammered with the message either. I also wonder how a sales program cannot determine if you are a regular visitor of the webstore, and yet Google can accurately spam me with "relevant" adds from that same company. *

(For the record, I am NOT that sort of pushy salesman, mainly because I know how much I hate it myself. That doesn't mean I ignore customers, but I don't feel the need to hunt them down, I rather be more subtle and gracious, which is a fine line to tread. At the end of the day, if the customer wants something, then they will buy it..........especially if they feel comfortable and at ease. And I also hate the greeting "are you right here"...............I shudder at that, its comes off as arrogant and almost disrespectful.)
Here’s another take on the pushy “salesman”. Was at the tip the other day with a stacked trailer of green waste. I don’t usually go to this one, it was 15 min before knock off time.
Suddenly the guy turns up at the back of my trailer starts yanking on the green waste, while I’m unloading piece by piece so I don’t rip open an artery on thorns or hurt my back.
Dude seriously, you are standing right where I’m trying to throw stuff, GTFO.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 16-02-2024, 11:20 PM   #5609
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry to hear that mate, it sucks and is one of the toughest decisions you make in life. You will know when it is time.... Make sure you are in the room with him when he goes. Tough times mate

Toys - 351 XY Falcon and FG GT
randel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2024, 09:41 AM   #5610
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It's a difficult time and a heartbreaking thing to go through, but, it does show the love we have for our pets. Fortunately we live on acreage and we have a cemetery for ours, 10 in total I think including 2 horses.
I just hope that one day we'll be allowed to make similar decisions for our human loved ones.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: