Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-11-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
Gregoryg
Starter Motor

Default 2014 Ford Focus Sport Shuttering transmission

Hi All,
I have a 2014 focus sport and it has a shutter only on take off and is really ignoring when in traffic when moving very slowly. have taken it back to ford and all they did was a reboot and a relearn as they told me, and said that it was normal for this transmission. going to take it back to them again as it is still doing it, have watch the video and will give that a go tomorrow to see if that works, but I don't think I should be racing what is a new car around every time it starts to shutter.

Does anyone have a 2014 focus sport that does this as well or is it just mine

Gregoryg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: 2014 Ford Focus Sport Shuttering transmission

They all do it. It's a characteristic of the dual clutch transmission.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
No they do not all do it. The wet clutch diesel does not.
Old 17-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Gregoryg
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
When I brougt the car I went for a test drive, but was not in any traffic and the car was cold at the start, and did not feel any kind of shutter while test driving it. So I brouht the focus for $28,000, I dont drive to the city much most hwy and suburb stuff, around a month ago. I went to the city and was in heavy traffic and just moving very slowly stop and starting when I was feeling this shutting and I was thinking to myself this is not good and took it back to have it look at, that's when they told me that this type of transmission does that. So I have a car that I payed $28'000 for that shakes
Old 17-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer View Post
No they do not all do it. The wet clutch diesel does not.
The petrols all do it though is what I was getting at...
Old 17-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryg View Post
When I brougt the car I went for a test drive, but was not in any traffic and the car was cold at the start, and did not feel any kind of shutter while test driving it. So I brouht the focus for $28,000, I dont drive to the city much most hwy and suburb stuff, around a month ago. I went to the city and was in heavy traffic and just moving very slowly stop and starting when I was feeling this shutting and I was thinking to myself this is not good and took it back to have it look at, that's when they told me that this type of transmission does that. So I have a car that I payed $28'000 for that shakes
Its a characteristic of it. You have to drive it, its like letting the clutch slip, these transmissions cannot handle light throttle.

No point in taking it back as they wont be able to change it.
Old 17-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

strange as the VW DSG we have does not have this issue at all. must be a ford exclusive thing
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
Gregoryg
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
strange as the VW DSG we have does not have this issue at all. must be a ford exclusive thing
That is fords exclusive, and it looks like I just have to wear it.
Should of got a golf
Old 17-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
RedChris
Starter Motor

Actually the VW 7 speed DSG has all the same problems as the Ford DCT. Both are dry clutch designs. Similarly, the wet clutch Ford DCT and VW DSG gearboxes have far fewer issues.

Your VW may have the wet clutch DSG otherwise you are one of the lucky ones.

Check out the reams of info on the DQ200 DSG at VWWatercooled, the huge media coverage through The Age, international VW forums...
RedChris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a 6 speed DSG no issues at all 7 speed had issues with electrical malfunctions cause by incompatible transmission oil from the factory
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
RedChris
Starter Motor

The oil change was one of the issues but DQ200 also have the same clutch pack issues as the Focus. Plenty of 7 speed DSGs on their second, third or more clutch packs. Seems the dry clutch boxes may not have been such a great idea.

Time will tell if manufacturers give them up or sort them, but VW has said it is looking at going back to conventional auto for cars being driven mainly in urban environments.

I had a VW group car with the 6 speed DSG and it was OK for me too, but this time around I avoided the whole deal by buying a manual car.
RedChris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
bacihams
Starter Motor

I have a diesel focus that has just done 50k. The transmission was silky smooth until yesterday. Went to start the car and it just stated shuttering as soon as it started. Turned the car off then on and it seemed ok. However now the transmission doesn't feel as smooth and there is a periodic shutter occasionally when it changes gears.

Its in at ford today, there is definitely something wrong and I hope they find out what it is and fix it!
bacihams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post