Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Losing Enthusiasm

Hi guys,

Ive been thinking over the last few days, ive been home sick and ive been bored! lol

I think im losing interest in cars. Someone talk me out of it!! :

My car is awesome but I hardly drive it, I work in the city during the week and ride my motorbike. On weekends unless there is a cruise or drag meet organised it may not get driven either. Im afraid to take it anywhere else in case someone runs into me.

Im left wondering what is the point of having such a nice car! I am hanging out for heathcote something shocking. But after that then what?

Maybe its time I grew up, sold the beast and got a daily hack that I dont mind driving to the shops, maybe I should get a ute or something I can take off road, maybe I dont need a car at all. I always have access to a car if mine isnt available or I have the bike. Maybe I should invest and start getting ready to move out of home and boring stuff like that.

Hrmmm.

Old 22-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

i think you are overreacting. Cant you just start a drug habit or something to keep you occupied between drag meets?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I dunno mate - if you lose interest you lose interest.... maybe you're over analysing it all and should just get out there and enjoy it? Nice cars are there for a reason - to be driven, you shouldnt be too precious about them - at the end of the day its just another material possession. If its so nice you're afraid to drive it as much as you'd like to then i question the point in having it in the first place. The fact you are looking forward to heathcoate so much suggests that the fire is still glowing inside of you... maybe just needs rekindling?

I guess i can relate slightly... but then, my car's pretty much 'set and forget' and i dont have a very high opinon of it. Makes for a good daily driver to the city for work... also a good weekend car just for a nice cruise or if you feel like belting the hell out of the poor thing. Either way, doesnt cost heaps to own/run mine and can still be ranked under the priorities of rent, bills, food and entertainment. I dont have the hassles of roadworthiness and insurance which seem to be plaguing your project at the moment. I coulnt care less if anyone hits me - ive only got 3rd party so thats a much more attractive prospect than hitting someone myself (i.e. im covered for their damage but who wants a wrecked e-series littering the back yard?!?)

Maybe thats a lifestyle thing tho. Pretty easy (and cheap) living in adelaide, not too much traffic, dont have to go far to be left in peace with your machinery (c'mon guys - mind out of the gutter now). Maybe its different in Melbourne? I must admit tho, i moved out and got myself setup long before i started toying with forced induction falcons.
Old 22-07-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not that Im scared to drive it, I dont have time to. There is no way I would bother driving any car to work, it would take 3 times as long and parking would be too expensive. The bike is my commuter. 250kms to $10 and free parking anywhere

I leave for work at 730 and get home at 630 if I dont have uni. Unless something is planned then I wont drive on the weekend either unless its to the GF's place or out to a party then I will take my car. I dont cruise for the sake of cruising on my own. The Friday night drags arent my thing. I cant get to the legal ones early enough to bother and I dont do street racing.
Old 22-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

yeah it takes a fair bit of enthuisiam to work on my cortina, its just ****ing me off that something causing it to go lean. When i drive it its great though.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 06:59 PM   #6
buickman
buickman

Just think of it as a expensive hobby. I have a Buick that sitts in the shed for months at a time. You will be sorry you sold it I now regret selling my corvette but at least have a hobby car plus a daily AU Ghia driver I play with as well.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

I go though the same stage all the time, but it pass's and the mod bug bites harder again. I'm far from over cars, but I must admit lately I have thought about getting rid of the ute and moving elsewhere.
If you can afford to keep it then do, you'll never get another one like it for anywhere near what you paid for that one!!!

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 07:21 PM   #8
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Dan ..listen to my pearls of wisdom!!! Sell it to me!!! Sell it to me!! :eclipsee_

I know what you mean though seriously.I see many mums and wives driving their husbands dream cars.It makes me sad because they dont have time to enjoy it themselves.

You need a holiday mate.Or be like me a self employed moblie salesman.Take the car everywhere.

I must say that now that ye olde wagon is running good that I am enjoying iit.You only live once...do it well my friend

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
You only live once...do it well my friend
My sentiments exactly.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Let's see some pics of your car. Posting them for us to drool over may help you get enthused a bit!

It's always important to remember though, that it is just a car. Cars, no matter how wonderful, fast, awesome looking are just that. A car, which will in time be superseeded, scratched and dinged. They cannot fill the void that sits within a man.

All the best with your ponderings!
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 08:20 PM   #11
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, There are some nice pics on this page courtesy of aufalcon.com http://www.aufalcon.com/Hotdbz.htm
Old 22-07-2005, 08:21 PM   #12
SWOOP
XRSVO

If you lose interest close the book, but dont get rid off it as youll will definitly pick it back up again
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Cheer up you silly bugger!!! Take the holiday!!You are working too many hours!!John Howard wins in the end mate.Take the AU your fishing rods and come up here and well all go fishing one Saturday!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #14
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I used to feel this way about my 5L ED Fairmont Ghia. It used to live under a car cover and was washed after every drive.
I can tell you how liberating it is to have a car with no pose value at all.
You stop worrying about parking in car parks etc...
If you can afford to keep it for good times keep it.
The Turbo taxi is a temporoary measure to keep me sane whilst I prepare for early retirement, cars and yachts. I drive a POS now so I can drive nice cars later.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #15
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

My turn for some 'ol wisdom but blunt, dont take offence just another perspective.....

O you poor young soul ! Life sucks for you eh ?!!!!
Got 2wheels to ride to work because your in traffic longer with 4, o what a Huge dilemma in your young life !
Christ some ppl can't afford a bowl of rice and your whinging because your at home sick !
Some ppl around the world can't even afford to stay home sick because they will lose their jobs or that they have a 5k walk ! Cheeeesh
If you are unhappy with what you have get rid of it and make a change, infact travel overseas to where some ppl can't afford jack $hit and smell the roses !

OK its over the other side, O Dan what a bummer your feeling down ! Cheer up mate tomorrow is another day !

Cheers
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #16
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
My car is awesome but I hardly drive it, I work in the city during the week and ride my motorbike. On weekends unless there is a cruise or drag meet organised it may not get driven either. Im afraid to take it anywhere else in case someone runs into me.

Im left wondering what is the point of having such a nice car! I am hanging out for heathcote something shocking. But after that then what?
If you're not driving it much or fangin it then that's the problem in my opinion. Give it a good thrashing and you'll realise why you bought it.

Then if that gets boring, get a hobby (or another one) coz it sounds like you're spending too much time thinking about things. Too much time doing nothing - especially if you're sick and not feeling the best - can't be good.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 12:28 AM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I have the same problem..

I have a BA XR6, as per my signature that sits in the garage all week, and usually all weekend as I have a BA XLS work ute that our business pays for and my dad doesn't like driving...

This however makes me feel guilty as I have a 40 k car sitting at home in the garage basically going to waste.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #18
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats it, cruize next weekend ;)

No serious, Saturday night, you, me, au-steve... anyone else?
Old 23-07-2005, 01:09 AM   #19
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

u mean tonight? lol
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #20
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In a week's time ;)
Old 24-07-2005, 05:14 AM   #21
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

You think your cars are going to waste? I think some of you should work for the Government!
Old 24-07-2005, 07:05 AM   #22
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Dan you picked up the car for nicks, not much point in offloading it. If you can afford to keep it, don't worry about the use too much, just enjoy the odd occasion when you do. Although I understand the issues with insurance getting you down and spoiling your fun

Having said that my fastest and nicest car was probably the one I had when I was still an apprentice, it had to make way for my independence but as much as I miss having a nice car that I built with no money, the adventure and life experiences gained from being solo makes it in hindsight an even trade off.

It is a tuff call, as no doubt many members can validate the nicest cars they've owned were from the years before any commitments and resposibilty weighted them down..

Chin up and go and rip a skid

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 08:49 AM   #23
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Don't worry you go through these phases where life doesn't seem to be all about cars sometmes.

It will pass.

Every mod I do I instantly regret the cost and time and the fact it doesn't instantly transform thr car into an PFV GTP and then I wonder if its all worthwhile and I should have just bought the TL50 I wanted to instead of the wagon.

But after a while I come back to realising its the struggle and achievemnet of slowly carefull modding the car to improve it thats more fun than making it faster, better than everyone elses.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 10:18 AM   #24
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Don't worry you go through these phases where life doesn't seem to be all about cars sometmes.

It will pass.

Every mod I do I instantly regret the cost and time and the fact it doesn't instantly transform thr car into an PFV GTP and then I wonder if its all worthwhile and I should have just bought the TL50 I wanted to instead of the wagon.

But after a while I come back to realising its the struggle and achievemnet of slowly carefull modding the car to improve it thats more fun than making it faster, better than everyone elses.
LOL, I'm the other way. Everytime I do a mod I have a renewed interest and thrill when I drive it. After a while though it goes away, then I start looking towards the next mod. As I dont have masses of free income to spend on the car (family comes first...ALWAYS.. and I wont leave them without just for a car) I will go up to 12 months between mods. About 9 months in and I get totally bored with the car (like I am now) and simply dont drive it much anymore. Then the new mods arrive and its joy all over again.

Last time I went through this I didnt drive the car for 3 months straight.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #25
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I get totally bored with the car (like I am now) and simply dont drive it much anymore. Then the new mods arrive and its joy all over again.
Great to hear that the family comes first! Hey Casper, if you're bored with your car, I know a guy in Melbourne who would love to care for your XR whilst you work up the interest in it again! LOL You can have my usual work drive, the 95 Laser for a few weeks. I bet that'd stir up some more passion for the XR LOL!

GK
Old 24-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #26
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its okay guys all is well, My car is unable to make over 300rwkw so now I have something to do! I think the problem was being unable to do anything to it other than the stereo as everything has been done already.

Ive decided I may as well just get 3rd party on it and enjoy it while Im still young, Im going to get on with putting in my car computer and screen along with the rest of my stereo. I think my cooler may be a huge restriction so that will need to be looked at.
Hopefully its sorted before it goes racing on the 13th!

I need to respray the bonnet so it might be time for that buldge I keep looking at. Then when I can get time off work ill be back up NSW to get it engineered.

Thanks for all your opinions.
Old 24-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #27
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

All the best with it.

Bye the way, the offer I made to Casper to care for his XR while his passion returned is also open to you! LOL!

Aren't I a caring sort?

GK
Old 24-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #28
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Just make sure to ask if the third party cover will be honoured by the insurance company on your car. Its hard to hide the turbo and if it requires an engineering certificate which it does I am not so sure they will cover you without one.

I don't trust insurance companies after a mate had an accident in his ski boat which wasn't insured for water skiing under the policy he had!!

Someone was run over and hurt very badly and the hospital and medical, lost wages and rehabilitation costs meant that he was in debt for years mostly just to pay the poor bastards laywers which what hurt the most as
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
I don't trust insurance companies after a mate had an accident in his ski boat which wasn't insured for water skiing under the policy he had!!
Man that's disgraceful! Insurance companies are supposed to give peace of mind, not stitch you up when you run into trouble!

GK
Old 24-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #30
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Great to hear that the family comes first! Hey Casper, if you're bored with your car, I know a guy in Melbourne who would love to care for your XR whilst you work up the interest in it again! LOL You can have my usual work drive, the 95 Laser for a few weeks. I bet that'd stir up some more passion for the XR LOL!

GK
I'm bored, not mental :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post