Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How serious is tax evasian?

Ok, my brother in law (idiot who is an @sshole to my sister) is getting in quite serious trouble from the ATO becuase he didn't pay taxes from the businness that he used to own. He's married to my sister and she owns a new toyota aurion. His name isn't on the car. He hasn't payed for the rego or insurance before. All the fights they've been having over money lately, I presume that they are soon going to divorce eachother. If sh!t turns to pineapple jam can this @sshole take my sisters car?

Old 13-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Reign
Argg..

i 99% sure... no if its not in his name it can't be taken from your sister
Old 13-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Obviously the edit from yesterdays post didnt get your attention, so will make it clear here, dont try to avoid the swear filter, I guarantee you its harder to avoid the ban filter.

Please respect the fact that you do not need to swear to get your point across and we will all have a mutual relationship
Old 13-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tax evasion is Very, very bad... in the order, these are the authorities you don't screw with.
Customs
ATO
Fed police
local police.....
The ATO are hard *** and unless you have a very expensive and good lawyer you Bro inlaw is screwed.......

He will find it very hard to legally obtain your sisters car..

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 13-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Buy your brother in law soap on a rope and wish him all the best. He is going on a holiday for a while. The Authorities dont take to this kind of matter too nicely. And im confident that your Sister will keep her car. Cheers, Adam.
Old 13-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah, it hasnt gotten too serious yet. Just that he's disregarded a few letters and only accepts calls from numbers that he knows. It was actually my sister who found the letters in his car. Just now he's stormed out and left my sister crying, he has so many debts now (mainly gambling) that he cant keep up, and he keeps taking money out of sis's bank account. Im sitting here listening to Metallica trying to block it out, because I know if I went ouside when he was yelling at her things would have ended badly for one of us, most likely me but I would've had a go anyway.
Old 13-12-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Firstly your sister is fine because the car is fully in her name it is not classified as equity for your brother inlaw as he legally has no right to it.

Secondly, your brother in law is screwed, as has been said. If he continues to ignore the ATO he will either get a notice to attend court, or a visit from the police be it local or federal to spend some time in the lock up, attend court, then go back to gaol for a long time.

and tell your sis to change her bank
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
Old 13-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

if they are married it is my understanding that the ATO is entitled to recoupe the monies from the partnership.. Didn't they change the law a few years back to stop shonks just transferring the deeds of assets into spouses names.. I know that isnt the case of the op but the law was changed?

Old 13-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can kill, rape, maim and pillage but whatever you do don't screw the government or you'll pay big time.
Old 13-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #10
gazza750
token import owner

under law a marriage is considered a partnership whats his is hers and what is hers is his .
you will find the ATO can legally take any assets they think necessary to recover a debt to them
Old 13-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
if they are married it is my understanding that the ATO is entitled to recoupe the monies from the partnership.. Didn't they change the law a few years back to stop shonks just transferring the deeds of assets into spouses names.. I know that isnt the case of the op but the law was changed?
That was stop transferring assets when they see the writing on the wall and avoid losing it all. The car has always been her name and I assume bought with her money that asset will be perfectly safe as fas as I know.

I suggest your sister get out and cut all loses, doesn't sound like it's worth while staying around from what you have said.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 13-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #12
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ask Glenn Wheatley how serious tax evasion is.

He's spending 18 months behind bars for it.

If there is one thing that the government will chase you high and low for.

It is tax evasion!!!!!!!
Old 13-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
t2te50
Banned

The dude I was working for was doing a lot of under the table cash jobs for people. The ATO eventually did an Audit on him and now has gone into involuntery insolventcey. His also copped a $250,000 fine.
Old 13-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

tax evasion is what brought al capone undone.

thats if you believe 'the untouchables'
Old 13-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The punishment is a lot worse than not being able to spell it.
Old 13-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #16
MrEL
Sick Puppy

The long and the short of it is that the ATO will have a hard time getting your sisters car.
If they divorse it is a different story and all bets are off. When it comes to property settlement everything is done on contributions. If he can prove that he contributed to the costs of the car both in running and purchasing it he is entitled to be financially compensated for that share.
It is not hard for them to do. I have just got divorsed and got bent over bad by the ex missus.
Old 13-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

IF your sister was a part owner/director of the company then the ATO will hunt down anyone or partner of a business if they owe them money. If your sister was not either of these then the car is hers BUT if she can be shown to be part of that company she might as well just hand over the keys now...
Old 13-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #18
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Tax evasion is Very, very bad... in the order, these are the authorities you don't screw with.
Customs
ATO
Fed police
local police.....
The ATO are hard *** and unless you have a very expensive and good lawyer you Bro inlaw is screwed.......

He will find it very hard to legally obtain your sisters car..
1. ATO
2. AGD
3. DoD
4. ACS
5. DOTARS

The ATO are the most sadistic by a mile.
Old 13-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #19
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Tax evasion?....about as serious as a heart attack.
Pretty sure your sisters car should be OK though.

BA GT-P Blueprint
Old 13-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Theres alot of misguided crap in here.

If he was running a business, then what type of Business, Sole Trader, Company etc? The ATO cant touch your sisters car if its in her name, all they can really do is chase her husband to the point where he has to bankrupt himself. Will depends on how much he owed them, usually the ATO walks away if theres no assets to be had.... It costs them money to chase, and usually if they dont think they can cover costs then some they dont bother.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 14-12-2007, 01:09 AM   #21
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Ahh Glenn Wheatly... silly silly man with too much money and not enough sense. I wonder if I stuck coal up his date would I get a diamond back?

Anyway, I have a personal philosophy: Don't screw with the ATO - they're one of the few government agencies with the means the motive and the money to come and do you over like a well cooked christmas ham.

I think Chopper Read would be easier to deal with than the ATO.
Old 14-12-2007, 03:05 AM   #22
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
tax evasion is what brought al capone undone.

thats if you believe 'the untouchables'
that's true, they couldn't get him on his other crimes (not enough evidence), so they went with tax evasion...the really ironic thing there is that the IRS (US tax dept) has no law that says you have to pay an income tax.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 14-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #23
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
The long and the short of it is that the ATO will have a hard time getting your sisters car.
If they divorse it is a different story and all bets are off. When it comes to property settlement everything is done on contributions. If he can prove that he contributed to the costs of the car both in running and purchasing it he is entitled to be financially compensated for that share.
It is not hard for them to do. I have just got divorsed and got bent over bad by the ex missus.
Yep what he said...I'm going through a divorce at the moment...All assets and liabilities (incl superannuation)are bundled together and the net proceeds are split based on the contributions each party made to the marriage (not necessarily financial contrib.) , ages of kids and who has custody of them. It's irrelevant who paid for the car (or any other asset they own for that matter) and she will effectively share in his debt to the ATO if they enforce it, so better off for her if he goes to jail instead...that's assuming they do divorce.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by ozmale42; 14-12-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 14-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #24
xwgasaxe
under new management

You get less Jail time for murder than if you ripped of the government !!
Old 14-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #25
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Customs
ATO
Fed police
local police.....

Your forgot one more.... Women
Old 14-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #26
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza750
under law a marriage is considered a partnership whats his is hers and what is hers is his .
you will find the ATO can legally take any assets they think necessary to recover a debt to them
Why not sell the car to another family member for $1?

Wait till all calms down, then buy it back!!!!!!!!!

Easy!
- XB Coupe Project
Old 14-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #27
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTDEF
Why not sell the car to another family member for $1?

Wait till all calms down, then buy it back!!!!!!!!!

Easy!
Excellent idea. Legal too.
Old 15-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #28
Virgil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgEA
Excellent idea. Legal too.
I see an "Alan Bond" in the making, LOL.

plus now...

December build 2007 BF XT Falcon Sedan in Lightning Strike with Cruise Control, Reversing Sensors, Factory Bluetooth, iPod/MP3 input, Tint and a Navman S30 GPS.
Old 15-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #29
Bobman
Regulator

Generally speaking. The ATO would go after people who evade tax in large sums?

I doubt you'd be going to jail if you evaded a small sum.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 15-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #30
Taxman
Taxman

It is with a modicom of amusement that I read the advice and comments that has been given here. Some of these responses would go in the ATO's humour file. I spent 28 years working for the ATO before I took a redundancy package several years ago at that point in time I was a Project Manager in Business Audit, I am now self employed and working on the other side of the fence as a Registered Tax Agent.

If it is only letters from the ATO at the moment - they have not even started getting serious. Tell your brother in law to go and talk to them and negotiate a payment plan - if he is reasonable they will endeavour to accommodate his proposals within reason. Pretend to be a ostrich and it will only make things worse. He will get brownie points for being open & forthright with them - this is the advice that I give to all new clients when they come to me with this sort of problem.

If he lacks the courage to do it on his own - enlist the aid of a comptent Registered Tax Agent who can interceed on his behalf through established channels.

With regard to the car, if your sister is contemplating divorce proceedings suggest she see a solicitor preferably one practicing family law to get the current actual interpretation of the law as it would apply to her individual situation and not from every barracks room lawyer who has heard from a mate of a mate of a mate and if you follow their advice she could possibly find herself in an even bigger mess.

Sorry if I have upset or offended anyone but I am getting tired of digging clients out of messes being created by their following the advice of self appointed 'experts' who don't have a clue what their talking about - they are a dangerous commodity. Please leave legal problems to those qualified and licensed to deal with them. You would be doing the individuals a far greater service by refering them to professionals with a good reputation rather than throwing your two cents into the pot and creating additional problems in an already stressful situation.

The current defination of an 'expert' - X is the unknown quantity you get when you put a drip under pressure (spurt).
Closed Thread