Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default collection rego

Does anyone think we will ever see one registration for an entire collection.

If like me for example you like doing your own thing don't want to be part of a club or social group but have 10+ cars you would like to use regularly (idon't have 10+) just example.

Do you think it would be a good idea for like a collection rego you pay one lump sum let's say for 3-6 months like during peak cruising season have a log book in the car and just use it sparingly a few times a month I personally would love that if I am ever in a position to collect cars to pay one rego and use whatever car I desire on that day good idea or should I go get my flame suit.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
EFFalcon
Last warning

Default Re: collection rego

and vicroads get less $$ from us? yeah not going to happen.

Simply taking TAC from the rego and applying it to the Licence cost would be a much more appropriate system.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon View Post
Simply taking TAC from the rego and applying it to the Licence cost would be a much more appropriate system.
But the TAC premium is based on seats (they don't care if its only one person) and weight/size (as to how much damage you can do to others)......

Besides, they collect off every car sitting in a garage or underground carpark whilst you take public transport each day !!!
Old 17-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

The cost of owning multiple cars is the pits but what I hate just as much is the amount of time spent every year running back and forth to get them passed for rego.

After the first five years where a vehicle doesn’t require inspection for registration, I’d like to see a system where passenger vehicles for private use only need to be inspected every three years and not every year.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BOZA, to answer your question
Fast forward between 200-500 years and if you are lucky enough to be the great great grandson of Jay Leno (being one of the very few elite rich who not only has a few cars, but can afford the $3,000 per litre for fuel)
Then yeah
Old 17-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Mowdit;5480670]But the TAC premium is based on seats (they don't care if its only one person) and weight/size (as to how much damage you can do to others)......

not in victoria utes are the same price as sedans and bikes are dearer again
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I’d like to see a system where passenger vehicles for private use only need to be inspected every three years and not every year.
Top idea EXPRESS

Now all you need to do is some study, get a job in the RMS/RTA, do truckloads of *** kissing and ladder climbing, join local or state GOVCO in ya spare time and after 15-30 years put it forward as your thesis from university !
Then and only then do we all stand a chance

I totally agree in principle, IF the respective departments can agree that a car of Vintage or collectable age that has a documented history, particularly of low klm should be in another class of reduced rego and third party insurance !

There has to be something better than club rego, if it is a nice day and I decide to take out my pride and joy then I shouldn't have to make an application in advance for it under club rego rules

They already keep track of how many klm a vehicle travels (as part of anti theft/tampering/re birth) so WHY shouldn't it be like my insurance for an occasional driver ?

Reduced rate of comprehensive insurance, rego and TPI because my pride and joy is NOT a DAILY driver (much the same as commercial/trucks pay more, because they travel further)

Sorry to say it though, GOVCO effectively double dip on anything and everything (look at property stamp duty in Syd, average is $30,000+ for what ?)
So don't expect change.........................................
Old 17-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember this being brought up as an eminently sensible idea maybe thirty years ago when we were in a bike club.
It was when people were talking about motorcycles and multiple bikes on one rego.

The system was as simple as simple can be...you choose one "regular use" bike (or car I suppose), and register that vehicle. Then as you add vehicles, they are added to the rego with a small one off fee (or even a small yearly fee) for each extra car/bike. You can only use one bike/car at a time, so it sounds great.

Then the inevitable question pops up...
"How do you stop several people using one rego and scamming the system?".
...for which there is an equally simple answer.

You only get one licence plate, to be swapped onto whatever vehicle you are using that day...all the vehicles you have are linked to that one plate (and it would be even easier to police these days with number plate recognition cameras in cop cars), and if you are caught trying to scam the system, as well as a heavy fine you lose the privilege of being allowed to be under it.

How bloody hard would that be?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=jmack;5480750]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowdit View Post
But the TAC premium is based on seats (they don't care if its only one person) and weight/size (as to how much damage you can do to others)......

Bikes are deemed to be higher risk, not only of accident, but of severity of injury and in turn cost.

Same as a ute, less seats/occupants to be injured, but higher pay load and then potential injury to the other vehicle occupants.

I could be wrong (at home am often wrong regardless !), but registration was largely based on weight back in the day, then factor in passengers and purpose to come up with a magical number.

It all comes down to the statistics, and the TAC constantly review all accidents and the associated costs...

I have buried a 17 yo and the only cost was for the headstone, TAC covered everything else !
Second was a mate who "scalped" himself in a Landcruiser after rear ending a semi at 90+kph difference, flown from Geelong to Alfred Hospital, 7 operations and 6 months, then when he got out TAC paid for chauffer driven cars from Geelong to The Alfred each fortnight, reducing to monthly after 4 months then monthly for a further 12 months, all on top of rehab, all paid for by TAC (it never cost him a cent, even though he was 0.142 BAC, he didn't even have to pay for the semi he rear ended at the traffic lights)
Apart from a bit a scaring, he ended up OK.

Same cannot be said for some others, even being young whom remain permanently in old age care. :-(

I do not know the cost figures, but the amount per year must be staggering
Old 17-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ACT rego has a nice system where you can renew rego up to 12 months after expiry and the rego starts from when you pay it. So where you have more than 1 car that doesn't get driven daily you can rego one car for 3, 6 or 12 months then just as that one expires you rego the first one again. Works well in certain circumstances.
Me, I have a spare car in my son's name that gets rego chucked on it when needed.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #11
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it would be a much fairer system for people to pay a higher ( say $600) per year for their drivers licence rather than vehicle rego because at the end of the day 1 can only drive 1 vehicle at any 1 time.If this was the case people wouldn,t be financially penalised for owning multiple vehicles
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

A small annual admin payment, and the rest as a fuel tax.
User pays is always fairest.
Old 20-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #13
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know if this still applies but in Qld you could register yourself as a car dealer and get a portable dealer plate that you strap on any car you are driving and it is deemed registered whether it is currently registered or not.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #14
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

REgo is only a small part of the equation. Owning lots of cars, goes way beyond just buying them, I had 5 cars registered at one point and it was a head ache.

Inspection x 5
Rego x 5
Servicing x 5
Storing x 5
Washing x 5
Insurance x 5
Repairs x 5

Besides the cost, its just the time and logistics of the above + add kids/family/work/holidays, yeah it was cool for a while but becomes a drain and a chore real fast.

If you have unlimited funds yeah no problem. I assume rego is no issue then either.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #15
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BOZA, to answer your question
Fast forward between 200-500 years and if you are lucky enough to be the great great grandson of Jay Leno (being one of the very few elite rich who not only has a few cars, but can afford the $3,000 per litre for fuel)
Then yeah
I'll take it as it comes right now, i'll worry about the future when i get there
Old 20-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I don't know if this still applies but in Qld you could register yourself as a car dealer and get a portable dealer plate that you strap on any car you are driving and it is deemed registered whether it is currently registered or not.
yeah we used to have trade plates as well for mechanics car dealers etc..
dunno if there still around though
Old 20-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #17
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
REgo is only a small part of the equation. Owning lots of cars, goes way beyond just buying them, I had 5 cars registered at one point and it was a head ache.

Inspection x 5
Rego x 5
Servicing x 5
Storing x 5
Washing x 5
Insurance x 5
Repairs x 5

Besides the cost, its just the time and logistics of the above + add kids/family/work/holidays, yeah it was cool for a while but becomes a drain and a chore real fast.

If you have unlimited funds yeah no problem. I assume rego is no issue then either.
yeah i know the feeling 5 cars,2 bike and the boat and i drive a company car 6 days a week .gets to be an expensive addiction.id be happy just to pay a tac fee on my licence,they ohauled the fire levy why not this
Old 21-09-2015, 02:25 AM   #18
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Top idea EXPRESS

Now all you need to do is some study, get a job in the RMS/RTA, do truckloads of *** kissing and ladder climbing, join local or state GOVCO in ya spare time and after 15-30 years put it forward as your thesis from university !
Then and only then do we all stand a chance

I totally agree in principle, IF the respective departments can agree that a car of Vintage or collectable age that has a documented history, particularly of low klm should be in another class of reduced rego and third party insurance !

There has to be something better than club rego, if it is a nice day and I decide to take out my pride and joy then I shouldn't have to make an application in advance for it under club rego rules

They already keep track of how many klm a vehicle travels (as part of anti theft/tampering/re birth) so WHY shouldn't it be like my insurance for an occasional driver ?

Reduced rate of comprehensive insurance, rego and TPI because my pride and joy is NOT a DAILY driver (much the same as commercial/trucks pay more, because they travel further)

Sorry to say it though, GOVCO effectively double dip on anything and everything (look at property stamp duty in Syd, average is $30,000+ for what ?)
So don't expect change.........................................
When I was a younger man I worked as a Traffic Engineer for three local Councils, two in Sydney and 1 in the bush and got to know the workings of the then RTA very well.

I still have 2 mates who work in the Senior Executive Service of the RMS and I can tell you if they do make an independent recommendation they don’t make the decisions, the Minister’s Political Advisers come into the meetings and their offices and tell them how it’s going to be.

So I’d need to become a Politician and not just any Politician, I’d have to be a Government Minister and that Ministership would have to control the RMS and as much as I might like to change the rules, when it comes to decreasing revenue raising I would be over ruled by the Premier & Finance.

So I would have to be the State Premier and when I achieved that I also would not want to give up a revenue raiser and would approach it as multiple vehicle ownership being a luxury not a necessity.

You can’t change the system when raising money is involved so I’d accept I have to pay for multiple ownership but I’d like to remove the headache of yearly inspections and pay the equivalent of three years rego and CTP’s in one hit for the benefit of having three years without inspections.

Most cars don’t deteriorate that much in a year, so three years between inspections doesn’t seem so bad to me.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #19
XG_Falcon

Any proposal that aims to reduce the amount of taxes you pay... won't happen.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #20
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

Inspection x 5
Rego x 5
Servicing x 5
Storing x 5
Washing x 5
Insurance x 5
Repairs x 5

Inspection is state dependant.
Servicing depends on vehicle use, less use, less services.
Storing, you deal with it.
Washing, same as Servicing, less use, less cleaning.
Insurance on limited use vehicles is lower then a daily driver.
Repairs much like Servicing.

Rego is the only one that more or less works as a flat cost regardless of use.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #21
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The cost of owning multiple cars is the pits but what I hate just as much is the amount of time spent every year running back and forth to get them passed for rego.

After the first five years where a vehicle doesn’t require inspection for registration, I’d like to see a system where passenger vehicles for private use only need to be inspected every three years and not every year.
Just move to Queensland. You only have to get an inspection if you sell a car privately.
😉

Cheers Mike

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
Just move to Queensland. You only have to get an inspection if you sell a car privately.
��

Cheers Mike
You just made me cry.
Old 21-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #23
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Yeh but pay over a grand for a v8 and over 800 for a 6 cyl rego

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Exactly. An age-old well known system that shows that a "collection rego" type system would work perfectly well...but they keep saying it would be "too hard"...
Old 21-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #25
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
Yeh but pay over a grand for a v8 and over 800 for a 6 cyl rego
Wow

Old 21-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wow

Yep...and people in other states wonder why young Queensland blokes never really went for V8's much...too punishing to afford them, and always has been.
Old 21-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #27
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

[QUOTE=jmack;5480750]
Quote:

Actually, it currently costs $652.80 per year to register:

'Goods carrying vehicles - up to 2 tonnes

Vehicle primarily designed for carrying goods includes utility and dual cab ute.'

...compared to $719.90 for a Passenger vehicle.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #28
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=LeadFoot81;5483093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Actually, it currently costs $652.80 per year to register:

'Goods carrying vehicles - up to 2 tonnes

Vehicle primarily designed for carrying goods includes utility and dual cab ute.'

...compared to $719.90 for a Passenger vehicle.
tac fee 101 passenger vehicle $449
tac fee 201 ute up to 2t $450
tac fee 391 bike over 500cc $473
this is in victoria
Old 21-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #29
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

[QUOTE=jmack;5483231]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post

tac fee 101 passenger vehicle $449
tac fee 201 ute up to 2t $450
tac fee 391 bike over 500cc $473
this is in victoria
I'm looking at my rego renewal (ute) and the TAC charge is $341.00 with a grand total of $652.80 payable (as per VicRoads website)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #30
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=LeadFoot81;5483279]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
I'm looking at my rego renewal (ute) and the TAC charge is $341.00 with a grand total of $652.80 payable (as per VicRoads website)
your lucky enough to be in the medium risk postcdes