Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
LO_ GHIA
cruisin

Default New MEMBER!!!

Hey guys, thought i would introduce myself to the fordforums. My name is Nick and I'm from the western suburbs of Melbourne. I just bought my third car which is a 1999 AU Fairmont Ghia. Its dual fuel, black leather, and I could not be happier with it! My previous cars were a black TX5 Turbo (aka BADTX5), and a silver TX5 Turbo. The black TX5 ran 14.4's consistently, and the silver one ran 13.5's on street tyres, and reeled off a 12.8 with slicks and c-16 race fuel. They both served me well, however, the price of fuel drove me to get something more modern and on lpg. Hence the GHIA was my choice. In the near future it shall be lowered and get some 18 inch rims.

I have a few questions regarding lowering the AU. I am looking at dropping it 2-2.5 inches. Will i need new shocks for this ride height? I dont want to cut corners, and so a camber kit and strut brace will be installed aswell. Hopefully I will have it lowered and rims in the next few months. Can't wait to go on a cruise.

Thats bout it for now, ciao! :

LO_ GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
BJMXR

Welcome mate...

Lowering, dont skimp on shocks if you want to go that low. There are some good threads in here about lowering. I did just King Springs SL front and SSL rear... sits perfectly but after 2 months completely trashed the shocks. I now have the same springs, but installed Koni Yellows as they are a shorter shock and therefore cope with the travel at its new working position. With an AUI you may need a camber kit. I know on the Series II and III they extended the adjustment to cope with the camber, so double check it.

Either way, see you on the next cruise! You just missed one this weekend unfortunately... the E-Series and AU combined cruise... pitty about the filthy weather, but it was still great.
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
I6corp
Was V6corp

Welcome mate, hopefully u can put those times of urs into the AU ;)
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
stiddy
Banned

Welcome to this place..
some like to call it a forum, some call it a chat, others call it home... lol

warning though, it is rather addictive..

In short, if you want to lower your car that much, you will need new shocks. There arent any strut braces available for the AU, unless your thinking of swaybar? even then the factory item isnt bad.
and yes you will need a camber/castor kit.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #5
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Welcome Mate

Welcometo the Forums mate,

As the others said you'll need the sockers, and thats an awsome ride you got there!

What did is cost you?

What colour is the car?

How many km's has it done?

Is it factory gas? Or after market gas?

Cheers

Simon : :voldar02:

Haha im glad you already want to go on a cruise! We had just had one on sunday which was a AU & E-Series Cruise which i had organised! Im going to hopefully organise to do a AU Cruise now...... : :

My ride is explained just underneath here!
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #6
alpineau

Hi Mate

Welcome to the forums, As said above there are a few good threads that will give you all the info need when lowering your car. There are alot of very knowledgeable people on this forum so if you have any questions ask away

When you get a chance post some pics of your car

Cheers
Alpineau
alpineau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
LO_ GHIA
cruisin

Thanx for all the replies guys! Had a browse through some suspension threads and have a rough idea of what i'm in for. My TX5 was slammed on reset SL's with shortened struts, but it was a pig of a setup! Dropped the car around 4inches though! e Anyhow, would a budget of say $1000 get it done properly? Suppose i would need to get a professional quote, but a ballpark figure would be appreciated.

As for engine mods, its going to be on the backburner for a while. But a custom straight gas turbo setup would be a load of fun!

The car had 93,000kms when i got it 3 weeks ago. Don't have any pics as of yet, but it is that beige/gold colour. When i first got it, my girl called it a "grandpa" car. A few right handers in the wet soon told her otherwise. : Picked it up for $16,800 on the road from sam gould ford in lilydale. 3 year serviced warranty. Inside and out are in excellent condition, a very sound car.

It has aftermarket gas fitted, however, the car went straight from the factory to the gas place ( cant remember where it was done) and is fully integrated. For example, if i flick the switch from gas to petrol, the standard gauge changes accordingly. Trip computer is integrated aswell. It loses about ~15kw atw on lpg, going by the bum dyno. Feels as though it might crack a high 15 sec pass.

Thats enough from me now, time to watch BB!
LO_ GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 03:22 AM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hey. Sounds like a nice ride... I wanna ghia, but instead I'll just have to do a fitout.

Check out the new Performance Mods sticky in this section for a nice write up of mods. It will soon incoperate Suspension, styling and driveline mods....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:57 AM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Welcome to the AU club mate.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Welcome mate, I hope ya Ford serves you well . Good choice of car ;) .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Welcome to FordForums Mate , Hope you like the AU

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post