Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Alchol interlocks in every victorian car WTF????

Was watching the morning news during morning tea.
Well Terry Mulder reared his ugly face again with a plan to fit interlock devices into every victorian car to curb drink driving.
What I want to know is who is going to foot the bill for an install I'm a disabled pensioner I have no spare money for this I only work 10 hours a week max to supplement my income not allowed to work more due to health restrictions.
I don't drink at all why should I be penalized for some other idiots drinking problem also don't want ugly interlock device in my car will make me feel like a criminal these are gestapo tactics in my mind.
I dont lend my car to anyone as I'm a pedantic OCD person who knows when my seat has been moved even one click so no one but me drives my car.
If this comes to fruition I will consider moving interstate we are supposedly a free country but feels more like an oppressed regime to me I'm disgusted by this

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Alchol interlocks in every victorian car WTF????

No, only for all drink drivers.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/dr...527-390lq.html
Old 27-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I saw the camera thing but after that from what I understood he wanted to fit interlock devices in the next few years to all cars as the technology improves in the interlock devices what are the gonna have sensors in your car to sniff you if you smell like alcohol hell I use rubbing alcohol all the time
Old 27-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope they don't bring this in. Why punish the majority for stupidity of a minority? Seems like another way the government may attempt to gather private information from us.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I think you guys misunderstood it, it is for ALL drink drivers, not ALL drivers.
Old 27-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Focused

I'm amazed at how easily people jump on the whinge bandwagon and this thread demonstrates perfectly the problem with the internet and social media (giving a voice to people that probably shouldn't have one...)

Seriously, have a look at the article linked to where it clearly states in the first sentence that this will only affect drink drivers. Further down it says that the law will be extended to low-range drink drivers... But I wonder how many people read the first post and are now going to spend the rest of the day telling all their friends that the government are going to put these in EVERY car and spying on us...blah blah.

Don't believe everything you read people. If something sounds unjust, stop and think about it before jumping on the standard bandwagon whinging about the government. Gee, even google it and see if there's any articles which may shed some light on the topic.

BTW I think the interlocking devices are fantastic and will go a long way to keeping idiots off the roads.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Doesnt stop them getting P!$$@D and jumping into a mates car or another available car and driving off into oblivion. Call me cynical - but just means there may be an overabundance of low klm cars up for sale in 5 years time.....

( Had to think about the title for a sec , I thought WTF is Alchol... )
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its already law for P platers anyway, if you get done at all for alcohol on Ps in Victoria its interlock on first offense even for a low range one .01 etc.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Doesnt stop them getting P!$$@D and jumping into a mates car or another available car and driving off into oblivion. Call me cynical - but just means there may be an overabundance of low klm cars up for sale in 5 years time.....

( Had to think about the title for a sec , I thought WTF is Alchol... )
True but at least it'll stop some and you only need one drink driver to kill a family of four or crash their car and demand a pension for the rest of their lives.
Old 27-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

His plan to roll it out to 0.05 to 0.07 first time offenders is pretty disturbing if you ask me. They're a great idea for repeat or high level offenders, but that's just running into the "you make a mistake once and we'll just assume you're a regular irresponsible ****tard" territory.
And it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up wanting this installed in every car in victoria, I mean, the guy wanted to fit speedo's that only went up to 100km/h in all victorian cars to curb speeding.
Or was it another one of the geniuses? I can't remember anymore
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Last edited by Lotte; 27-05-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
tweeked
N/A all the way

Its about the money to be made, You pay your fine, and then have to keep paying to get these things fitted, and also a fee to have them monitored.

Why not just increase the fine to cover all the costs - what is the use of a fine of $1000, but then have a couple of thousand in compliance with the interlock devices?

Wouldnt an up front fine of $3000 be more of a deterrent? It smacks of the ridiculous storage charges for impounded vehicles, way above a market rate. Just call it a fine and be done with it.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Another attempt to save us from ourselves. Victoria really is the epicentre of nannyism... Why can't the sensible people in Victoria grow a pair and tell the nannies to shove off?
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Its about the money to be made, You pay your fine, and then have to keep paying to get these things fitted, and also a fee to have them monitored.

Why not just increase the fine to cover all the costs - what is the use of a fine of $1000, but then have a couple of thousand in compliance with the interlock devices?

Wouldnt an up front fine of $3000 be more of a deterrent? It smacks of the ridiculous storage charges for impounded vehicles, way above a market rate. Just call it a fine and be done with it.
No because drunk people can't be reasoned with.
Unlike several other recent dubious road safety campaigns, this is actually a good idea.
Quote:
Another attempt to save us from ourselves. Victoria really is the epicentre of nannyism... Why can't the sensible people in Victoria grow a pair and tell the nannies to shove off?
What's the alternative? No rules and whenever someone gets hurt, everyone complains that the government should be doing something to protect them?

Hospitals are full of people who needed to be protected from themselves (drunks who crash cars, alcoholics who kill their liver, smokers who kill their lungs, people who can't control how much they eat) so yes, we need nannying. If the government is going to pay for people's health care (with my tax money), they're perfectly entitled to try and stop people hurting themselves in the first place.

The problem isn't the government here. It's the people they represent.
Old 27-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #14
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although the article states it's only for repeat offenders or high range, watching the attached video they state none of that.
They say it would be for all Victorian drivers. So would be easy enough to get confused about it.

How would they go about fitting one of these to a motorbike? Don't think it would be too easy or even possible?

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
03 GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Because govco and its willing partner in crime, the media, have been very successful in pacifying the populace into slumber and convincing them of the omnipotence of the state.

It wouldn't even take that many people, 100,000 is all it would take to stand up to the bass turds.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Just make it 0 BAC for everyone, problem solved, we all managed to get through it with our P plates didn't we?

If you drink you don't drive.
Old 27-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Just make it 0 BAC for everyone, problem solved, we all managed to get through it with our P plates didn't we?

If you drink you don't drive.
It's Zero for Truck Drivers, P platers and Learners, so that just leaves the normal (and I use that term very loosely) people.
Old 27-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #18
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused View Post
I'm amazed at how easily people jump on the whinge bandwagon and this thread demonstrates perfectly the problem with the internet and social media (giving a voice to people that probably shouldn't have one...)

Seriously, have a look at the article linked to where it clearly states in the first sentence that this will only affect drink drivers. Further down it says that the law will be extended to low-range drink drivers... But I wonder how many people read the first post and are now going to spend the rest of the day telling all their friends that the government are going to put these in EVERY car and spying on us...blah blah.

Don't believe everything you read people. If something sounds unjust, stop and think about it before jumping on the standard bandwagon whinging about the government. Gee, even google it and see if there's any articles which may shed some light on the topic.

BTW I think the interlocking devices are fantastic and will go a long way to keeping idiots off the roads.
all laws introduced have an arterial motive, "money"...

makes me wonder who on the board/ceo of this device... pork barrel you watch.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #19
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

So, by 2016 .05 OR over (even 1st offense) gets interlock?
Mark my words.. by 2020 All new cars will have these standard and it'll be ZERO!
Why am I to be considered a bloody criminal if I have a couple at the rubbity after work?
Fairdinkum, This State is stuffed!

Geesh... Back in my day the first thing to go into the Cusso was a full esky!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #20
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Exactly how BIG is this latest threat to mankind? Are we talking about thousands of repeat drink drivers, hundreds, dozens?

Unfortunately Victoria is at the forefront of introducing all sorts of laws aimed a curbing problems and when fewer offences occur instead of congratulating the community they then progressively lower tolerances to the point of it being punishable to drive 1-2km over the speed limit! As for many of the other brain dead states they simply replicate the Victorian stupidity.

People can play the emotion card all they like, it is all about revenue collect.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #21
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 GHIA View Post
They say it would be for all Victorian drivers. So would be easy enough to get confused about it.
The news bulletin I heard stated it was for ALL drivers. Typical sensationalist media.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 05:39 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
So, by 2016 .05 OR over (even 1st offense) gets interlock?
Mark my words.. by 2020 All new cars will have these standard and it'll be ZERO!
Why am I to be considered a bloody criminal if I have a couple at the rubbity after work?
Fairdinkum, This State is stuffed!

P platers in Vic cop the interlock with a .01 right off the bat, so its nothing new, just us fully licensed drivers are now going to be effected too.

I didn't see anyone jumping up and down for the Vic P platers when we got bent over on vehicle/passenger/towing/hands free restrictions and interlocks for minor offenses.

Now its your turn (and mine again cause I'm fully licensed now lol)
Old 27-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #23
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
Yeah I saw the camera thing but after that from what I understood he wanted to fit interlock devices in the next few years to all cars as the technology improves in the interlock devices what are the gonna have sensors in your car to sniff you if you smell like alcohol hell I use rubbing alcohol all the time
He can go **** him self
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
His plan to roll it out to 0.05 to 0.07 first time offenders is pretty disturbing if you ask me. They're a great idea for repeat or high level offenders, but that's just running into the "you make a mistake once and we'll just assume you're a regular irresponsible ****tard" territory.
And it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up wanting this installed in every car in victoria, I mean, the guy wanted to fit speedo's that only went up to 100km/h in all victorian cars to curb speeding.
Or was it another one of the geniuses? I can't remember anymore
I agree. Totally over the top and a blatant form of revenue raising. I don't see how a first time offender, with for example a perfect driving record over a few decades, has 2 beers at the pub and blows 0.06 and has to have an interlock device fitted, which costs a bomb. The punishment totally exceeds the crime.

For repeat offenders or high range readings then so be it, but low range first timers is a joke.

Victoria- The Revenue State
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #25
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only way round this is for Victoria to succeed from the Commonwealth.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #26
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
all laws introduced have an arterial motive, "money"...
Arterial hey?
All laws? So murder is illegal because locking people up in prison for years makes the government money? Or are they secretly harvesting their arteries and selling them on the black market.

Quote:
Yes they were great times. The road toll was >3 times what it was now. Young people, families... all killed on the road at the hands of drunk idiots.

Quote:
I agree. Totally over the top and a blatant form of revenue raising. I don't see how a first time offender, with for example a perfect driving record over a few decades, has 2 beers at the pub and blows 0.06 and has to have an interlock device fitted, which costs a bomb. The punishment totally exceeds the crime.

For repeat offenders or high range readings then so be it, but low range first timers is a joke.
I'd tend to agree that this is OTT for first offenders and those with a low range DUI charge.
Old 27-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #27
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 GHIA View Post
Although the article states it's only for repeat offenders or high range, watching the attached video they state none of that.
Thank you cause thats how I heard it in a noisy factory in a crowded lunchroom
Old 27-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #28
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Exactly how BIG is this latest threat to mankind? Are we talking about thousands of repeat drink drivers, hundreds, dozens?

Unfortunately Victoria is at the forefront of introducing all sorts of laws aimed a curbing problems and when fewer offences occur instead of congratulating the community they then progressively lower tolerances to the point of it being punishable to drive 1-2km over the speed limit! As for many of the other brain dead states they simply replicate the Victorian stupidity.

People can play the emotion card all they like, it is all about revenue collect.
They are masters at implementing the Hegelian dialectic: they create a problem, enrage the masses, said masses demand a solution, govco creates the solution. Yet most won't realise they've been hoodwinked.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #29
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I'm not sure how it's revenue raising as the Drink driving offender is going to get fined anyway.

The only ones that I can see profiting from this would be the Interlock makers, not the Gov.

Oh and burnz, I think you meant 'ulterior' motive
Old 27-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #30
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
P platers in Vic cop the interlock with a .01 right off the bat, so its nothing new, just us fully licensed drivers are now going to be effected too.

I didn't see anyone jumping up and down for the Vic P platers when we got bent over on vehicle/passenger/towing/hands free restrictions and interlocks for minor offenses.

Now its your turn (and mine again cause I'm fully licensed now lol)
Damo, I started typing a mammoth post about the differences between a young guy with 3 months driving experience compared to a 25 or 30 years onroad etc etc etc but I have a better idea!
Lets debate it over 1 or 10 beers around the fire at Heathcote Friday night week?
My shout buddy!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: