Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-02-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Default Spinners... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

I saw my first set a few weeks ago on a Commodore. I thought "hey, those are pretty bloody big and shiny!" and then once he'd stopped they were still... er... going.

Now, I can deal with this, if I close my eyes and try hard enough. I managed to block the episode from my memory. But coming back from the shops a short time ago, I saw another set of huge chrome spinners (20", at a guess), this time attached to an AU Falcon which was also playing host to what I can only describe as the mother of all bodykits. The whole car looked like it had been thrown-up on by Veilside.

As last time, I managed to sit next to it in the traffic, having thought as we came to a stop "that's a bloody horrible looking car you've got there mate, and those wheels are WAY too shiny..." And again, as before, the wheels kept moving even though he wasn't. Only it got worse. He saw me looking at them and then when I looked up at him, he grinned and nodded his head.

NO, NO and thrice NO! I can almost get my head around the whole "bling" thing, but come on! It's verging on the ridiculous, surely. Wheels are soild objects that are meant to go around and around when the car asks them to. Having them spin when the car isn't moving or having them not spin when the car's not moving is, if I might be so bold, the preserve of the ****er. It's a wheel, for God's sake, not an objet d'art!

Yes, yes, I like aftermarket wheels. Give me a set of solid Centerlines and I'll marry your sister. I even like really spangly wheels on modern cars. Sometimes I've been known to appreciate chromed wheels too - and even SUVs with 22" look almost alright.

But I must draw the line with spinners. I have no idea how much they must cost (probably more than my car... each) and I can only really see them suiting a car that... well, I don't think they'd really suit anything.

What's the point? Have I completely missed the point of "bling"? Am I alone in thinking that these overpriced wheels are perhaps the biggest waste of space since large aerofoils on Hyundai Excels? And who the hell actually BUYS them? What sort of person could they possibly be?

I just don't understand it. Next time I see some spinners moving when the car is not, I'm going to take my tyre iron and shove it in their spokes to teach them a lesson, such is the extent to which I find them annoying.

God help me. I think I need a lie down.
Old 24-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
hambo_12

nice little rant there, but I agree with you.

Old 24-02-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
Psycho Chicken
Banned

We ridin' spinnaz and dey don't stop!!!
Old 24-02-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I agree completely but you should see how bad they look on A VX clubby R8 that is owned by a guy that runs one of the major tyre and wheel places up my way .but then each to their own.......
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 24-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
Thornie
Off smelting

yep i saw a stock s pack commodore wagon at hungry jacks the other with 18" spinners so ghey
Old 24-02-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

I think they have stoppers now too which stay fairly still while in motion and are the "new" spinners ! spinners are old news !!!!!!!
Both completely pointless and stupid.
Old 24-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I plan on releasing spinning stoppers that are actually normal mags but cost 5x as much w00t I'll make a fortune :P
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
Old 24-02-2005, 06:51 PM   #8
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Whats worse are those shoes with spinners in them.
Old 24-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose_1
Whats worse are those shoes with spinners in them.
Umm... what? As in shoes that you wear on your feet? My wardrobe might not be full of beige jumpers and green polyester ties, but surely I'm not *that* out of touch...
Old 24-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
rob_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
Yes, yes, I like aftermarket wheels. Give me a set of solid Centerlines and I'll marry your sister.
She wants to see a photo and wallet first
Old 24-02-2005, 07:16 PM   #11
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ugh, I can't stand spinners. There's only one time when the wheels should be spinning on a stationary car, and it involves a whole lot of smoke and a sweet sweet smell.
Old 24-02-2005, 07:36 PM   #12
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Let me use a most loved and recognised phrase :

SPINNERS ARE FOR POOFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24-02-2005, 08:54 PM   #13
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I was on my way to uni (brisbane) when I went past a vn commodore resprayed in pink all interior in pink massive body kit overly riced and big chrome wheels. I stopped next to it notice there where two hot chicks in there then saw they wheels they didnt stop. Looked terrible the thing stood out in the traffic thats for sure and even when they are driving they are noticable and just looks crap.

Iv seen them in autobarn you can get wheel covers with spinners in them for $70 yuck.
I saw a grandpa in a camry with... spinners whats the world comming to.
Old 24-02-2005, 08:54 PM   #14
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Love the rant. Agree completely.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 24-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #15
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Definately dont like them on any car

But some one has already said it as best it can be said

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle

Old 24-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #16
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes but can I get them on the bike?

would look fully sik moit :tool:
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 24-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #17
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
He saw me looking at them and then when I looked up at him, he grinned and nodded his head.
I hate it when that happens. You look at a rice/ghettobox and laugh cos it's so pathetic/tragic/plain amusing and they think you like it! You're adversely encouraging these people!

I'm yet to see 'real' spinners actually on a car. I had a 22" at a wheel joint try to take off my finger once though...

Nice rant by the way!

-Stu
Old 24-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #18
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Da ful sic moit, wer cana'git dem for mi ful sic focass!
Old 24-02-2005, 09:53 PM   #19
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Yes you can get them for pushbikes !!! A company called Deuce makes them I think......
You can also get them for 1/10 rc cars.... dont ask me how I know... I just do lol

PS. I also hate them.
Old 24-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #20
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

http://www.deuce-usa.com/
Old 24-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #21
Dodge
i like to be stroked

they looked choice on the stretched hummer
Old 24-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #22
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Ugh, I can't stand spinners. There's only one time when the wheels should be spinning on a stationary car, and it involves a whole lot of smoke and a sweet sweet smell.
mike, mate, for the verry first time i totally agree with you!
spinners suck@!!
Old 24-02-2005, 11:31 PM   #23
Perun
SSith Lord

Bloody terrible, they are! I'm surprised they haven't been made illegal yet. A work colleague's dad owns a Bob Jane store, and they had a car where the spinner just flew off while they were working on it. Pretty scary considering it's all metal and would weigh a couple of kilos. However, it's only a fad and I hope it's over real soon.
Old 24-02-2005, 11:44 PM   #24
Philbie
Drvtme

wait till a 2 year old child puts thier finger where it shouldn't be......in todays society, it'll take that type of accident before people realize the REAL danger of said "spinners"

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Old 25-02-2005, 12:59 AM   #25
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He saw me looking at them and then when I looked up at him, he grinned and nodded his head.
At this point you should have pointed and laughed at his car or made a vomiting gesture.

A guy at work had the plastic chrome "Spinners" wheel covers on a very ordinary looking VN Commodore. I told him he was very sad. One fell off a couple of weeks later exposing the flat black painted stock wheel - the car suddenly looked better
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 25-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #26
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Whats worse than spinners?

well...........on a red au i saw, yes thats right 15" hubcap's with intergral red spinners. they were fully schick moit.

1 word, discrace. not to the automotive community but to the human race.

Old 25-02-2005, 01:29 AM   #27
XRated
Shoot.

I agree with this thread whole-heartedly!

But damn Neeek, have you considered writing for a magazine? You've got a real gnack at writing!

20V Turbo

Old 25-02-2005, 01:39 AM   #28
BIGKEV

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
Let me use a most loved and recognised phrase :

HERE HERE I agree. it:

Old 25-02-2005, 01:50 AM   #29
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbie
wait till a 2 year old child puts thier finger where it shouldn't be......in todays society, it'll take that type of accident before people realize the REAL danger of said "spinners"
Although i think spinners are, why is a 2 yr old close enough to the wheels of a moving/stopped car?

Old 25-02-2005, 02:53 AM   #30
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

^^
Looking @ the spinners ofcourse.

One of the worst inventions for cars yet.
Closed Thread