Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default back passenger door has stopped locking...

for some reason the back left passenger door has stopped locking in my AUII futura, has anyone else had a similar problem? And how did they fix it? All the other doors lock no problem...any help would be most appreciated
Cheers
Justin

vfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Happened to my uncle, he just changed the whole locking mechnism inside the door, don't know if that's the only remedy though.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
Falcon Freak
Banned

Exactly the same thing happened to my AU. Dealer changed the lock assembly and the problem never reappeared.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Timeshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Exactly the same thing happened to my AU. Dealer changed the lock assembly and the problem never reappeared.

FF
^^^ That happened to me too. The back right door on my AUIII stopped locking with the rest of the car. Took it to the dealership as it was still under warranty at the time and they said the motor in the door was stuffed. Replaced and never had a problem since.
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Happened to mine. New door lock motor etc is around $75 from FTG Auto Salvage (see advertising at top of page). Oh, plus postage.

A quick fix is to take the inside door trim off, make sure the child lock is not on (ie make sure door handle on inside will open door), then remove the rod connector between the outside door handle and the lock mechanism. This will mean that you can't open the door from the outside, so the car will at least be safe in a carpark etc.

I repeat, BEFORE doing this, nake the sure the child safety lock is OFF!!!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
StevenAu2
Irregular Member

This is a common problem,i had the rear pass door central locking unit fail in the unlock while still under warranty and then prob 6months ago the rear drivers side failed.Got a complete unit with lock from wreckers.Its a bloody fiddly job to fix too!!!
StevenAu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 01:44 AM   #7
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the info guys.... might remove the rod first so at least its 'safe' for the moment...

cheers
Justin
Old 21-04-2006, 11:44 PM   #8
f6 typhoon

happened to me a while ago took off the door cards and fiddled around with the locking mechanism and works good now or you could just hit where the locking mechanism on the outside of the car is and thens it locks thats just a temporary fix if you need it
f6 typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #9
GUTLES
Adam.

I've had this happen too..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
happened to me a while ago took off the door cards and fiddled around with the locking mechanism and works good now or you could just hit where the locking mechanism on the outside of the car is and thens it locks thats just a temporary fix if you need it
thanks for the info...when you mean 'hit where the locking mechanism is'...you mean just bang with your fist on the outside of the car door near the rear edge? lol how hard? ...I don't want to dent the panel
Old 23-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A quick fix is to take the inside door trim off, make sure the child lock is not on (ie make sure door handle on inside will open door), then remove the rod connector between the outside door handle and the lock mechanism. This will mean that you can't open the door from the outside, so the car will at least be safe in a carpark etc.
If I remove the rod, will I still be able to open the door from the inside with the handle? or does the removal of the rod make it useless?
Old 23-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you remove the rod to the EXTERNAL door handle, the internal one will still work, but make sure the child lock is off, or you will never get the door open again.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 23-04-2006, 10:54 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If you remove the rod to the EXTERNAL door handle, the internal one will still work, but make sure the child lock is off, or you will never get the door open again.
The door would be child proof at least! LOL!

Hey JC, met your slave driving mod me bling bling mate this weekend and his family. Nice bloke, lovely family. Ask him how my daughter dived on his boy in their hotel room! Very funny. LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #14
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought an AU II Fairmont on Thursday night and found out it had this problem
I pulled the trim off and pulled the lock out but the problem wasn't really visible so I stuck it back in and d/c the outside handle
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 02:39 AM   #15
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same here, I bought an AU Fairmont last week, got it home and realised the drivers side rear door didn't lock along when I hit the button, meaning you could pull the outside handle and all the doors would pop unlocked. ?!. Haven't had a chance to have a look inside the door yet as I was headed interstate the next morning. Also, after I hit the lock button on the dash it seemed to upset the system as the drivers door wouldn't open from the inside, felt like the handle was stuck, so I pulled the handle really hard and it opened, now it seems sometimes the drivers door won't shut properly, it just bounces back and won't latch, like it's locked the mechanism while its open, but turning the car on and off seems to remedy the situation. It was dark by this stage, but I also noticed someone seems to have drilled 2 tiny holes where the drivers left knee goes, which I now know is over the cover of the central locking control unit. Any ideas? Hopefully the whole 'smart'lock system hasn't had it. I wasn't exactly thrilled about all this seeing as I'd had the car about 2 hours!
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #16
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

its a white plastic cog in the locking mechanism that snaps too easily. having said that, Im still looking for a replacement cog for $3 instead of forking over $75+ for the whole mechanism after 3 mths.

If your going to remove the external door rod, smart idea would be to leave your door trim off untill its fixed - i did the same thing (but left the door trim on) and spent a good hour trying to get the door to open again after someone flicked the child safetey lock on!
robbo_yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 12:21 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
The door would be child proof at least! LOL!

Hey JC, met your slave driving mod me bling bling mate this weekend and his family. Nice bloke, lovely family.
Are you sure that was Bucky? Doesn't sound like Bucky - never heard anyone refer to him as "Nice".

Old 24-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
its a white plastic cog in the locking mechanism that snaps too easily. having said that, Im still looking for a replacement cog for $3 instead of forking over $75+ for the whole mechanism after 3 mths.

If your going to remove the external door rod, smart idea would be to leave your door trim off untill its fixed - i did the same thing (but left the door trim on) and spent a good hour trying to get the door to open again after someone flicked the child safetey lock on!
Good advice about leaving the door trim off.

If you do manage to find a supplier for thos cogs, please let us all know, as even at $10 each, they are way cheaper than buying a whole new/used mechanism (which is our only option ATM).

Old 24-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #19
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

same thing happened to me, payed for a new 'Actuator' and it now works. was just pulling down the latch on the door next to the child lock where the door locks onto the rest of the car, once closed andlocked via keypad the door would then not open unless done so from inside.
Old 24-04-2006, 01:25 PM   #20
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman
If I remove the rod, will I still be able to open the door from the inside with the handle? or does the removal of the rod make it useless?
Before you start removing bits and pieces from the locking mechanism, remove the door trim and try spraying the lock with 'INOX' or any other good lubricant. No need to take the lock out, just make sure that you spray as close as you can.

We had a similar problem with the drivers' door lock and were given this info and sure enough it worked. Apparently the locks get 'gummed up' with dust and fluff and $hit and just needs cleaning.

Beats buying a lock when it may not be needed.
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #21
XR6Stu

Doors can be re-opened after being shut with the outside handle disconnected, and kiddy lock on. I did it not long after starting my apprenticeship. Cant rememeber how we got the door open again, bit i know I wasnt a popular person by the end of the day. I'll find out on Wednesday at work, and post it. Also, I will have a look and see if we have any write off parts needed by f orum memebers.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #22
russky
Road Terrorist

Yeah, im experiencing the same problem, i think, with my front driver's door. The central locking does not work anymore for the door (all the other doors lock), but you can still close all the doors with the key (including driver's). There goes the alarm for a while... as it needs central locking to close the car remotely.
russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by russky
Yeah, im experiencing the same problem, i think, with my front driver's door. The central locking does not work anymore for the door (all the other doors lock), but you can still close all the doors with the key (including driver's). There goes the alarm for a while... as it needs central locking to close the car remotely.
Sounds like a flat battery in the remote.

Old 25-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #24
russky
Road Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Sounds like a flat battery in the remote.
In the remote that you carry with you, you mean?

Nah, because all other doors lock, and everything goes normally, but then you hear the alarm signaling that one of the doors wasn't shut, ie cos it wasnt locking. Also, the button for central locking doesn't work cos driver's door cant be centrally locked.
russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 03:17 PM   #25
Timeshift

removed post, taking to a new thread.

Last edited by Timeshift; 05-05-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippitydip
Before you start removing bits and pieces from the locking mechanism, remove the door trim and try spraying the lock with 'INOX' or any other good lubricant. No need to take the lock out, just make sure that you spray as close as you can.

We had a similar problem with the drivers' door lock and were given this info and sure enough it worked. Apparently the locks get 'gummed up' with dust and fluff and and just needs cleaning.

Beats buying a lock when it may not be needed.
i reckon your spot on there chippitydip, every service i give my doorlocks and and hinges a squirt using a spray can with a little hose, especially up into the guts of the lock.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post