Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #361
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Dont worry Doc.. once the cars running at the target I have chosen I plan to make her shine.. may need to talk to you then.
Trust me though, its not fun. The amount of questions I've already thrown at G&D is enough to drive most people nuts. You may just tell me to go away and bug someone else (I'm suprised Glenn, Matt and Dave havent yet) _2:
G&D (or any other company you have/had supported in the past) would be mad to tell you to go away with the amount of free/cheap advertising you give them.

Stockstandard (and others) simply asked a question, which still hasn't been answered, which automatically questions the reputation and results of this dyno run (or 15). The question being what reading did you get with the intake pipe attached to the TB, but with the airbox removed.

If you expect people to believe the power figures put down in this thread, without any real proof, then I think you are mistaken. It's simple human nature to not believe things over the internet that are basically, unbelieveable.

I (and others) really fail to understand how an airbox can have a 9rwkw restriction at approx 3500rpm, and then have a 10rwkw restriction at around 5500rpm. It makes no sense at all.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Old 19-03-2006, 12:36 AM   #362
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&D PERFORMANCE
I have many customers or potential customers that ask questions & I'm happy to help anyone of them & always have.Our race track results speak for themselves what are your acheivements.You on the other hand insult my intelegence based on your E-series knowledge & VAST expertise ( with comments like your ECU reset post.I prefer not to waste my time on thrill seekers like you who have nothing better to do than stir up trouble,getting a thrill out of discrediting people that are genuinely trying to help the AU community.Maybe you should spend more time in the E-series forums & help out with what you know best.

Thanks for your time.

Regards Glenn
Interesting response...

What kind of results do I need before we can talk further?
Old 19-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #363
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

One stage HELL HP cam please...
Old 19-03-2006, 12:46 AM   #364
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I'll put an end to this simply. Without actually being in front of the dyno and monitoring evey step of the process there is no way to convince you guys it happened. Thats fine, I dont feel a need to justify my decision to do that.
Instead I'll let G&D finish the mods that we are doing and I'll take it to the track. ET and MPH will be the final judge I think. Is that fair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
G&D (or any other company you have/had supported in the past) would be mad to tell you to go away with the amount of free/cheap advertising you give them.
Oh, and as for free advertising... this thread is its own animal. If people were not interested they wouldnt have read and responded.. Why did you read it and respond?
G&D have been around doing big things a lot longer than I have. I think starting a thread in a forum and having a few dozen people paticipate in it is hardly massive advertising on a global scale you make it out to be.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 19-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #365
1TUFFUTE
Banned

hi GnD just a question im sure u wont mind answering,(after the latest questioin of corse)

but do u have any times on cars that u guys have worked on that are simalar to mine or caspers..just to make some of us feel better...dont worry i wont say ur bragging bud :
Old 19-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #366
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

An impressive gain there Shane. Well done to G&D. Time to 'bin' the current mods and book mine in. PM headed Glenns way. I want my super special secret goodies too - and a sticker! :
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
Old 19-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #367
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Stockstandard (and others) simply asked a question, which still hasn't been answered, which automatically questions the reputation and results of this dyno run (or 15). The question being what reading did you get with the intake pipe attached to the TB, but with the airbox removed.

I (and others) really fail to understand how an airbox can have a 9rwkw restriction at approx 3500rpm, and then have a 10rwkw restriction at around 5500rpm. It makes no sense at all.
Actually, it makes extremely good sense and if you had any understanding air flow dynamics. To put it into simple terms for you:

1. The requirement to filter incoming air into an engine is purely related to longevity of the engine - for example F1 engines run with almost no air filtration and as large a ram air box as the rules will allow them.

2. Anything that sits between free air flow and the actual intake manifold is going to provide some loss of available air flow to the engine. This effect is exacerbated in a dyno situation as even with fans the available air quanity is not the equivalent of (even the relatively ineffectual) standard ram air effect.

3. Typically factory air intake setups on most cars will be optimised to provide sufficient flow of air for the RPM range they are generally expected to operate in.

4. Any improvement to the air flow capabilities of the inlet manifold and/or head or operation at higher RPM than that factory operating ranges will result in insufficient air flow to meet the requirements of the engine with the potential to see further loss of horsepower as RPM increases.

There are actually a lot of other factors as well but for the purpose of a simplified explanation this will suffice.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 19-03-2006, 12:59 AM   #368
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the confusion lies when a significant restriction at 3500rpm seems to have no greater restriction at higher rpm when twice the amount of air is being drawn through.
Old 19-03-2006, 01:02 AM   #369
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

We are talking about a 120rwkw AU 6 cylinder on a dyno, not a 20,000rpm V10 3 Litre F1 car doing 300Km/h. An AU 6 cylinder and an EF or EL 6 cylinder engine have a lot more in common than a modern Formula One engine.

Quote:
Actually, it makes extremely good sense and if you had any understanding air flow dynamics. To put it into simple terms for you
Actually, if you had any sense and understanding of air flow dynamics, it would make more sense to you.

Quote:
I think the confusion lies when a significant restriction at 3500rpm seems to have no greater restriction at higher rpm when twice the amount of air is being drawn through.
My point exactly.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Last edited by Aaron_EF8; 19-03-2006 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added extra info
Old 19-03-2006, 01:06 AM   #370
1TUFFUTE
Banned

that sound like french to me anyway,speak english please not everyone is an expert :
Old 19-03-2006, 01:14 AM   #371
G&D PERFORMANCE
G&D Performance Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev5 ute
hi GnD just a question im sure u wont mind answering,(after the latest questioin of corse)

but do u have any times on cars that u guys have worked on that are simalar to mine or caspers..just to make some of us feel better...dont worry i wont say ur bragging bud :
The only AU I6 track attack we have attempted is with Hamo's AU running a 14.3.

The development was performed on the car by us some time ago utilising a mild cam & cylinder head option tuned with unichip.We recently dyno'd it at 147rwkw's.

We have a lot more R&D under our belt since then & once finished we'll get back to the track.
Old 19-03-2006, 01:16 AM   #372
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

In the end it really doesnt matter does it? My money, my car, my mod. If you dont believe it I can understand that and accept it. It is your right to (and questioning is good in the end). Still, the ET and MPH will tell the tale in the end wont it. I think a "shakedown run" soon enough will be in order to put it all to bed and, after all the other work we do on the car this week, I dont think the 10rwkw airbox will have much of a spot in the sun. Hell, I put it up as it was the least impressive result to date..

Old 19-03-2006, 01:17 AM   #373
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&D PERFORMANCE
The only AU I6 track attack we have attempted is with Hamo's AU running a 14.3.

The development was performed on the car by us some time ago utilising a mild cam & cylinder head option tuned with unichip.We recently dyno'd it at 147rwkw's.

We have a lot more R&D under our belt since then & once finished we'll get back to the track.
well that sounds like a good start anyway...nice work
Old 19-03-2006, 01:27 AM   #374
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev5 ute
well that sounds like a good start anyway...nice work
it was an auto as well..

Old 19-03-2006, 03:12 AM   #375
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Wow 3 more pages in just one day...what alot to read :nutsycuck

Many things I want to say but I think it has all been covered to some degree.

The G&D Cold Air Intakes work. Simple as that. I was there, I even helped fitting it ect. The car did not leave the dyno at any time and all the testing was done by exactly the same guiedlines.

I belive a few of the main reasons it works so well is due to, The amont of air the box holds, the surface area the filter covers, it does not draw air over the hot radiator and the box is insulated to help with heat soak from the engine bay.

I will take it for a drive if you like casper and spend some time doing extensive trye reserch if you like..... : :sm_headba :sm_headba :sm_headba

Kev......

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT

POWERED BY VISA MASTERCARD AND MORE VISA
(And now a mortgage extension)

Disclaimer :

: Anything that seems or sounds illegal is all in my head and due to an over active imagination... :
Old 19-03-2006, 03:32 AM   #376
Walkinshaw
Two > One

well, I could post a few things, might reserve my judgement, but based on the contence of that dyno graph its not looking positive so far, not at all. (8.4%)

Box looks good. What MAP pressures were seen with the stock box and with the new box (kPa)? What MAP pressures (kPa) were seen with no box?

on another note. I have a few fluid dynamics books here if people wish to borrow them!!

Last edited by Walkinshaw; 19-03-2006 at 03:38 AM.
Old 19-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #377
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_xr8_ute
I will take it for a drive if you like casper and spend some time doing extensive trye reserch if you like..... : :sm_headba :sm_headba :sm_headba

Kev......
Sorry mate, you bought the BA, you live with it now

As for the airbox......

In the end it really doesnt matter to me if people agree, disagree or ar indifferent to if it works or not. This is because:
a) My car
b) My money
c) My chioces
d) The airbox setup is part of a much bigger picture
e) It has has proven benifits on other cars
f) The vast majority of those who want there 2cends worth of disagreement registered actually do not drive a car which would even fit this airbox, nor would they ever consider getting one if it did.

So really what I see is this...
People are disputing the readings on a mod they really haven’t seen in detail, on a car model they don’t have, running an engine they don’t have that has a reputation for unusual behavior to mods, from a dyno that has been used and accepted by some of the fastest cars on this forum and LS1, by a company that has be modifying performance cars since before most of us were born, who hold national records, who have made a long term business based on “no rubbish” results?
This is based on a few years of amateur intake fiddling, some discussions with a few engineers and maybe a book or two? Sorry guys but I don’t mind if you don’t believe it and need to try and justify it to the forums, but don’t expect to be given a soapbox here. If it didn’t react as you expected to your cars then feel free to make your comments but its not your cars, its mine. Its not your money, its mine and its not your ET and MPH, its mine. Personally I am happy with the result and will be seeing the results on the track soon enough I hope.
I guess its just lucky for you that its not available for E series cars.. so you don’t have to lose any sleep over it either.

Understand that this thread is simply about a set of mods I'm doing to my car. Feel free to read and comment but if you start agrueing a point that has absolutely no relavence to you then dont you think its getting all a bit hard? I mean seriously, whats the point? : In the end just say its great or you dont agree... to be honest I'm just letting people know whats being done, I am not really interested is debating flow dynamics, filter properties or the price of fish food in France. I have got a set goal in mind, G&D are doing mods to reach that and when the car hits the track over the next 12 months we are going to reach that goal. Argueing over what is, by rights, a very minor mod like this is stupid in epic porportions. For all those who disagree with it.. what do you expect to gain? Respect? Ego? Me to rip it out of the car and drive my car off a cliff? Sorry, not going to happen

Last edited by Casper; 19-03-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 19-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #378
AUIII

Not only did you gain more power but it looks awesome as well. G&D can you please open up shop in Brisbane :
Old 19-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #379
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII
Not only did you gain more power but it looks awesome as well. G&D can you please open up shop in Brisbane :

If you give them a call Im sure they could arange to mail you a CAI and you could fit it your self....The real question is, Can they keep up to demand???

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT