Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
FRIKA
FRIKA

Default Rolling Guards

Any one had any problems with getting their guards rolled?

I just went to see the guy that rolls guards. Didnt like the idea to much. because :

1. on the Au's there is a plastic lip and because they are rivetted you need to drill them out. this then will leave holes on were the plastc lips were. the bloke said what could then happen is it may dent your guards after he has rolled them. Stuff that.

2. secondly the plastic liner needs to be removed and bugger that as well.

My solution drive slower when cornering over big bumps or imight need to get adjustables for the front.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

This guy was a professional?

You can do more damage by not have the guards rolled if they catch on the rims

Yes the plastic lip does need to be drilled out, no big deal, and with the correct amount of heat the guards should be rolled without damage

I had this done on my AU2 after the guards caught on the tyre and riped shreds off it.

Last edited by Laminge; 07-05-2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: heat not head!!! Doh!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge

Yes the plastic lip does need to be drilled out, no big deal, and with the correct amount of head the guards should be rolled without damage

I had this done on my AU2 after the guards caught on the tyre and riped shreds off it.

Well im starting to doubt wether he is professional or not. I might look for someone else.

Do you still have the inner plastic which is inside your guard?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

The plastic strip that sit up the top, or the inner lining?

The strip on top was completely removed, it was only there because of ADR compliance, but the inner lining was left without drama's
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Got my guards rolled and apart from paint cracking (on the inside lip and can't see it),the plastic strip has gone and I just cut a bit off the inner liner to suit and tucked it in the actual lip, works a treat as it helps it stay in place, then went to Ford a bought replacemant clips, $4 in total. I am happy with the end result, but like Laminge said "You can do more damage by not have the guards rolled if they catch on the rims"
Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I had my guards rolled, paint cracked, so the panel shop resprayed the guards. Guards were a bit of a mess from a few tyres grabs.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Get them rolled it looks So Much better, why do you care if you ditch the plastic strip at the top of the guards?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Get them rolled it looks So Much better, why do you care if you ditch the plastic strip at the top of the guards?

not worried about the plastic strips on top of the guard i was just worried about the inner plastic lining.

now that Bluprnt has said that he had no probs with the inner plastic I feel more comfortable.

Just need to find someone decent in Perth. I might have found a fellow he told me he had all the proper machines which have been imported from overseas (Germany I think). He did sound like he knew what he was doing at told me that he does it one step at a time.

But yes i need to roll ASAP before i do any damage.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
Got my guards rolled and apart from paint cracking (on the inside lip and can't see it),the plastic strip has gone and I just cut a bit off the inner liner to suit and tucked it in the actual lip, works a treat as it helps it stay in place, then went to Ford a bought replacemant clips, $4 in total. I am happy with the end result, but like Laminge said "You can do more damage by not have the guards rolled if they catch on the rims"
Mick
How have you found it to drive now that you rolled the guards having 20" rims and the car being lowered??
Old 07-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #10
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
atch on the rims
Yes the plastic lip does need to be drilled out, no big deal, and with the correct amount of head the guards should be rolled without damage
Was thinking of doing this to my car, but I was hoping to pay cash. No way I'm getting it done if this is the only form of restitution!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #11
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR AYTE
How have you found it to drive now that you rolled the guards having 20" rims and the car being lowered??
The drive now is pretty comfortable except for the bumps as you feel them more, steering is better as I feel the road and car more than before. I still take care taking bumpy corners and steep driveways but so far so good and you'll have no problems refitting the inner liner especially if you have a dremel tool . Good luck and don't forget to post some pics when done,

Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
The drive now is pretty comfortable except for the bumps as you feel them more, steering is better as I feel the road and car more than before. I still take care taking bumpy corners and steep driveways but so far so good and you'll have no problems refitting the inner liner especially if you have a dremel tool . Good luck and don't forget to post some pics when done,

Mick

Thanks for that. Ill see how i go and then post some pics up.
Try to get them done next monday.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #13
BJ
Banned

There is a tool you can by to do this. I am think of buying one and maybe having it for hire to the Melbourne based guys. What are your thoughs??
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 11:47 AM   #14
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What he said.

I caught the tyre and now my little plastic bent down and was constantly rubbing on the tyre and started to cut in.. I cut it off and getting the guards rolled soon... Plus I hate that bit of plastic.

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post