Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Victorian P plate laws

Yes i know, another law thread. But.

Whats the deal with the P plate laws and engine transplants? The website mentions performance modifications to the current engine, not swapping it out for anything.

Instance:

Chevrolet Silverado, swapping V8 out for a V6.

there also seems to be no rules reguarding rotary engines cars, besides the P:W limit. I emailed VicRoads about 8 weeks ago and still have gotten no reply. Are there any police/vicroads people on here who would know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

As far as I know (and firstly may I say that I have no affiliation with Vic Roads, or Victoria Police) But as far as I know the Engine swap law is there because 90% of people who do a engine transplant to a different engine, go for a bigger engine, not many go for a smaller one.

As for the Rotary's, no, as far as I know, there is no specific reference to a banning of Rotarys, so yes you are correct, it would go to power/ weight ratio.

Also, I gotta know, your not seriously considering putting a V6 into a Silverado are you?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is one for sale with a V6 and 5sp manual in QLD which I've been eyeing off for a little while.

Why, whats so bad about that?
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What type of silverado
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
What type of silverado
This type

There was one the exact same for sale in Bulla not too long ago, but it was white and was listed for $18750 it had on its windscreen, but now its disappeared.
Quote:

Old 07-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im guessing thats not the one because of the 8 .
But that model should be fine with a 6 . It will be pretty slow and more than likely drink a fair bit of juice.
But it not the massive silverado i was expecting.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im guessing thats not the one because of the 8 .
But that model should be fine with a 6 . It will be pretty slow and more than likely drink a fair bit of juice.
But it not the massive silverado i was expecting.
Discription says V6 and 5sp manual, but is listed as 5.9L V8. Yeah, the massive Silverado's are way too expensive though.
Quote:

Old 08-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It does too. 18k though i think you could do a lot better for that kind of coin . I dont know alot about them though im guessing the must hold there value pretty well .
But each to there own . Are looking for somthing fairly unique?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It does too. 18k though i think you could do a lot better for that kind of coin . I dont know alot about them though im guessing the must hold there value pretty well .
But each to there own . Are looking for somthing fairly unique?
Some sort of "large" vehicle that I could drive legally, the problem is 99.99% of these big utes are all V8s and the only Silverado I could find state wide <$20,000 was that one. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Silverado either though Do you have any suggestions? Would be highly appreciated, thank you.
Quote:

Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Im not sure if it vic or another state but P platers can drive a 12a but not 13b or bigger rotarys.
braddyxe51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

You can drive a car with a transplanted engine however it still has to meet the P:W, Capacity : Weight, and cant be supercharged / turbocharged.

As far as rotaries go as long as it doesnt breach any of the above its ok to drive, If i was purchasing a car like that, you will have to get a roadworthy to change the plates and rego over to VIC and yourself. I would be worried about VicRoads turning around and wanting an engineering certificate...... [not 100% sure if they will just accept the QLD compliance plate]
FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports
Saiken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Yes i know, another law thread. But.

Whats the deal with the P plate laws and engine transplants? The website mentions performance modifications to the current engine, not swapping it out for anything.

Instance:

Chevrolet Silverado, swapping V8 out for a V6.

there also seems to be no rules reguarding rotary engines cars, besides the P:W limit. I emailed VicRoads about 8 weeks ago and still have gotten no reply. Are there any police/vicroads people on here who would know?
Has it ever occurred to you that you're better off just picking up the phone and calling vic roads and asking them!!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Has it ever occurred to you that you're better off just picking up the phone and calling vic roads and asking them!!!!
It has, but the problem there is that requires effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiken
You can drive a car with a transplanted engine however it still has to meet the P:W, Capacity : Weight, and cant be supercharged / turbocharged.

As far as rotaries go as long as it doesnt breach any of the above its ok to drive, If i was purchasing a car like that, you will have to get a roadworthy to change the plates and rego over to VIC and yourself. I would be worried about VicRoads turning around and wanting an engineering certificate...... [not 100% sure if they will just accept the QLD compliance plate]
That's good then, that means things like Ford F100/150s and so on so forth can have say the 4.1 Crossflow/4.0 in them without having any legal/police hassles with VicRoads and insurance as long as i get it engineered. Thanks.

I don't think i'd break any land speed records with something like a Ford F100/Chevrolet Silverado.
Quote:

Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
mntxr
Jamie is the name

i agree ring vic roads or vic police because i got done driving a xt with a tyhfoon motor in it twice and the fine was 1100 bucks each time i know my story is not whats your asking but simlair in a way
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some sort of "large" vehicle that I could drive legally, the problem is 99.99% of these big utes are all V8s and the only Silverado I could find state wide <$20,000 was that one. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Silverado either though Do you have any suggestions? Would be highly appreciated, thank you.
Was going to mention F250 with the turbo diesel 4.2l inline 6, but it's a turbo and maybe more than $20000.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenweapon
i agree ring vic roads or vic police because i got done driving a xt with a tyhfoon motor in it twice and the fine was 1100 bucks each time i know my story is not whats your asking but simlair in a way
You would have lost your Ps for that one, 3 points each time yes? You have 4 points on P1s/P2s I think.

BTW, I can drive turbo diesels, just not turbo petrol But $20,000+ is a bit too much.
Quote:

Old 08-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
That's good then, that means things like Ford F100/150s and so on so forth can have say the 4.1 Crossflow/4.0 in them without having any legal/police hassles with VicRoads and insurance as long as i get it engineered. Thanks.

No engineering required when you buy one from factory.
F100's were made with six's until the 80's iirc.

Edit, found one, it's been upgraded to the Barra 6 too.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #18
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
160L Fuel tanks too! Imagine the cost to fill those suckers.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #20
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
I have to admit that I too was expecting it to be a newer and much bigger Silverado. It still would be a bit of a slug though

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
With petrol at $1.29 per liter that would cost about $206 to fill up, but it would probably get you about 1600Km
Old 08-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #21
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
No engineering required when you buy one from factory.
F100's were made with six's until the 80's iirc.

I was wondering if that was possible a while back, I guess it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
It just means I'd actually save money by doing those "Spend $5 in store and save 4 cents a liter of fuel" deals LOL. The only time you could rip off a petrol station.

On a more serious note, $206 it'd take to fill on average, but you get a lot of Ks out of it.
Quote: