Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-12-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default SSS BA Auto shifter into AU Forte Wagon Take 2

Well, yesterday I started the installation of the BA SSS Auto shifter into our AU wagon. First thing I had to do was make a bracket to attach to the gearbox to hold the BA shifter cable. So after 3.5 hours yesterday and 8 hours today (11.5 hours total) I have just finished and it is connected, and the cable moves properly so that all gears (P R N D) can be selected. The gear selector is bolted into the car and a test drive proves that everything works as it should. So the hard part is out of the way.

Just got to do the electrics (solder 7 wires into the ECU somwhere and connect the wires to the SSS shift loom and the power/econ switch and all is done. Oh, and modify the centre console so it fits over the BA shifter, and buy and install a leather boot for the gear shifter (similar to what the BF 6 speed autos have). I am predicting another 3 to 4 hours to do this. I'm not finished yet, but I'm BIG KEV (excited).

A big thanks to Dave (Ghia5L) for the hardware installation instructions, and to Murray (Muzza) for the electronic components and instructions. Without these guys I would not have had the inspiration or the guts to do this.

Now for some pics:
The bracket and linkage under the car.

The shifter in the car

Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
carratt
I Love My T3

that looks awesome JC. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.
carratt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thanks Brad. I can't believe it took so long! But now that I know what I'm doing, the next one will take half as long, I reckon, maybe even quicker (probably 4 hours tops to this stage, plus console mods and wiring).

I'll let you know when it is finished and you can "pop" over if you like.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 04-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I must admit I like this idea... the BA shifter is FAR superior to the AU one.. I'll watch this closely as Im interested to see the result. Good on you JC for having a go.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Thanks Ghostly one. I'm starting to think "Have a go (ya mug)" is my middle name. I reckon the SSS would be a great option for your car - an auto with most of the benefits of a manual - and in your case, with the Hi stall, at least one advantage over a manual (guaranteed quick take-offs).

The bracket for the gearbox (under the car) is the hardest part - the missus asked why I didn't just buy a BA one, and you know, I didn't really have a response to that, except that I am proud of the fact that I made one and it works. The BA bracket may be an option worth checking out, though my bracket works well enough so I'm not going to change it for fear of messing things up. Plus 11 hours under the car is enough for one weekend.

I dropped the front of the exhaust (from the extractors back) to make it easier and did the whole "bang back of head on cat, which was on the floor of the garage, then react to doing that by moving head forward off cat at rapid speed and hit forehead on collector pipe" trick. I thought of you and your diff trick when that happened, but luckily I was only "starry" for 30 seconds or so, and no blood loss.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I feel for you.. you now know its a reflex action programmed in to remind us how bloody stupid we are for being under 1.5t of car held up by rubber ballons.

Keep at it.. I'm really quite interested in the outcome as an operational SSS shifter (at a reasonable cost) would have quite an interesting result on an AU. Not sure if I'll go that way myself but I can see its uses at the drag strip very easily.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:09 AM   #7
xr8gn3

Will it allow you to hold it in gear when in manual mode?

xr8gn3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Keep at it.. I'm really quite interested in the outcome as an operational SSS shifter (at a reasonable cost) would have quite an interesting result on an AU. Not sure if I'll go that way myself but I can see its uses at the drag strip very easily.
Of course I'll keep at it - as soon as the boss is out of the shower, I'm off to the garage to modify (cut) & install the console and take some pics (of the console).

As for cost, so far, the complete BA shifter assembly, cable etc cost me $150 from FTG, the SSS control unit was $110 and the electronic gear display was $77 from Muzza. Plus postage of around $20 all up. So a pretty cheap mod so far. I'm guessing a leather gear boot will be about $50. I think I've also sold the complete AU shifter and linkage, so that will offset some of these costs.

If you decide to go through with this Casper, PM me when you are ready and I'll give you the names of the people in the know (Ghia5L and Muzza - there you go, you have them!). I may even make a template of the bracket I used.

My next attempt will be to buy the electronica from Muzza, and adapt the volume +/- buttons on the steering wheel to work the SSS function, rather than install the complete BA shifter - after all, the shifter is just a shifter, it's the electronics that do all the work. That's next year's project, though.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8gn3
Will it allow you to hold it in gear when in manual mode?
Yep - works exactly like the real BA shifter does, plus it has all the usual gearbox failsafes like if you try to select first at 100, it won't let you. The gearbox is the same, after all, so it's just the added electronics that do all the work.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 AM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
Of course I'll keep at it - as soon as the boss is out of the shower, I'm off to the garage to modify (cut) & install the console and take some pics (of the console).

As for cost, so far, the complete BA shifter assembly, cable etc cost me $150 from FTG, the SSS control unit was $110 and the electronic gear display was $77 from Muzza. Plus postage of around $20 all up. So a pretty cheap mod so far. I'm guessing a leather gear boot will be about $50. I think I've also sold the complete AU shifter and linkage, so that will offset some of these costs.

If you decide to go through with this Casper, PM me when you are ready and I'll give you the names of the people in the know (Ghia5L and Muzza - there you go, you have them!). I may even make a template of the bracket I used.

My next attempt will be to buy the electronica from Muzza, and adapt the volume +/- buttons on the steering wheel to work the SSS function, rather than install the complete BA shifter - after all, the shifter is just a shifter, it's the electronics that do all the work. That's next year's project, though.
I'm now very interested. Next year though.. when I get past my next power mod fix .. then I'll see how its held up in your wagon (I know you will put it through some serious testing) and make a firm decision.. The console is my biggest concern.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #11
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Very good work mate, your a brave man trying something like that, and it looks like a treat ! I am Veerrrrrrrry interested in this for my AU Sedan
Old 05-12-2005, 12:42 AM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
The console is my biggest concern.
Mine too.
If I can get the volume control buttons going, you won't even need to buy the BA shifter bit. This one's taken me 3 months to get in the car, so don't hold your breath for the steering wheel SSS function.

Thanks XR8fella - I had some great help/advice/instructions from the E series guys; Dave and Murray - they tried it first, I'm just the first AU (that I know of).

Old 05-12-2005, 01:09 AM   #13
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

That's going to be one hell of a wagon (already is damn good)
You should hang on to it. Pass it down to one of your boys. I guess the one who saves the money first.
Bracket is much better than previous attempts I've seen. Well done.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:29 AM   #14
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok excuse my ignorance..
but what is it u have done exactly??
have you installed the GEAR SELECTION from a BA tiptronic into your AU?? so u can shift tiptronically instead of click click click like a regular auto "manualised"

doesnt manually shifting an auto break it?? or have you got the gearbox upgraded to handle it??
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 03:18 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
ok excuse my ignorance..
but what is it u have done exactly??
have you installed the GEAR SELECTION from a BA tiptronic into your AU?? so u can shift tiptronically instead of click click click like a regular auto "manualised"

doesnt manually shifting an auto break it?? or have you got the gearbox upgraded to handle it??
Yes, that's what I've done. Physically it's the same box BTR95, I think (could be 85, though). No breakage issues as all the standard failsafes still apply. It just makes it more like a manual if you want it to, or just stick it in "D" and forget about it. This way the missus and I can both drive the way we like to.

Jaded6 - Thanks, I knew the bracket was going to be all important, which is why it took me 8 hours just to get the bracket right! I think the plan is to keep the wagon and slowly turn it into a BA! LOL.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:21 AM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Oh - some console pics as promised. Everything is wired up now except the actual connections to the ECU. I thought it would be a good time to sleep, so will connect the ECU up to the SSS control module tomorrow.

And the all important close up - it's a bit ordinary, and I'm not even sure it's fixable - will depend on what sort of manual gear boot thingy I can get (I need one with a screw down faceplate, I think.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:41 AM   #17
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cool

so the AU gearboxes are OK to shift manually?
thats always nice to know
id probably get a FULL gearbox service before attemping anything of the above magnitude tho.. just to be on the safe side!

ull definatly have to put up a tutorial on how to do this mod

and i had a thought while looking at the console pic

couldnt you fibreglass over the selector base.
from the cup holders forward to the piece just under the lower dash section(bring it in so instead of dipping down to the old shifter location it keeps it level from the cup holders to the the bottom of the dash and you could mould into the pocket where your remote is sitting

just an idea neway
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 04:06 AM   #18
carratt
I Love My T3

I love it JC. just a quick question.Will the dash display show you what gear selection you have when in sss mode?

for the last few nights I've seen you in your garage when I drive past on my way to work. Now I know what you've been up too lol!
carratt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2005, 10:44 AM   #19
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

All you need to do is fibre up a new console.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #20
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by carratt
Now I know what you've been up too lol!
You think you know what he has been up to... but the truth is???

Top work on that JC... That may be a cheaper option for me then to put a 5speed in.. (the one thing that I missed out when I bought my car was a 5speed, and have had manual envy ever since)

AU owners are creating there own models with parts from the BA. You with the shifter, me with the brakes.. Just wish the engine transplant wasn't going to cost so much.. sigh

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carratt
I love it JC. just a quick question.Will the dash display show you what gear selection you have when in sss mode?

for the last few nights I've seen you in your garage when I drive past on my way to work. Now I know what you've been up too lol!
Brad - I haven't got the gear selector thingy hooked up yet (that's tonight's job, as you may see), but in theory it will show the gear when in SSS mode. Fingers crossed, anyway.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
All you need to do is fibre up a new console.
All I need to do? Fibreglassing is not one of my skills. Any tips on how to do it?

Old 05-12-2005, 12:54 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Cubey - Yes, BA parts are proving to be very useful. The same as AU parts on E series cars, I guess

Old 05-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #24
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I think Falkeen might be a better source of fibre glassing tips than me!

Did you ever do paper mache on top of chicken wire at school (many years ago I know, but you might have had some rudimentary introduction to a similar technique!! ;) )
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #25
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

I did. And I need to teach my boys how to paper mache, so maybe I can get them to do it. LOL. I'll come up with something at some stage.

Old 05-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #26
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Well done, looks great, to effort

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Thanks, but you were the first (I think) Dellboy, so the pioneer for the rest of us to follow!

Old 05-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #28
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

JC
Did your "old" AU shift have a chrome surround?
Uncle_Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #29
HLC
Audi S3

when you get it working JC im curious as to how it goes. sounds like a fun weekend ahead of me when i get some cash :
Old 05-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #30
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
Thanks, but you were the first (I think) Dellboy, so the pioneer for the rest of us to follow!
yeah i was first, then Ghia5L and now your the 3rd (that I know of), we can officially have our own club ........ LOL

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post