Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
MR REKLAW
BF XR8 Ute
Donating Member3

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

And as for thinking I'm soap boxing....how about you read the thread and gain an insight into my disability...

This thread isn't about you or your disability,start another thread.

Get it through your thick cranium,that it is about depression and anxiety,brought on by injury,health problems or society's conception of what is normal.

Not your private thread to soap box in.

I have read this thread and it was going swimmingly,till you turned it into I have a disability issue.

Yes you have a disability,I clearly understand that,but it has no bearing on the topic of above.

What you haven't gleaned from other posts,in here is the fact that your replies to number of posters,is that your way off topic.

If my or other posters in here are causing you,to have issues on the above topic,thats what we are trying to get across,stick to the bloody topic and don't turn into I have a disability discussion,because I won't give a rats ***,about your reply if you can't stick to the topic.
2006 BF MKII XR8 Ute,Shockwave Blue.

HERS 2003 LX Focus Sedan,Silver.

Past Rides:- XD Panel Van,XE Panel van,XF Wagon,ED Wagon,BA Fairmont.

Greetings Earthlings.
MR REKLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say it is not so much what you say mate (whether anyone agrees with it or not) but the way come across that kicks **** off a lot of times. That is the problem with the Internet, bloody hard in person too.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Time you found another forum................
Old 15-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Thanks Russ, I was about to post, but scrolled back to my earlier post, to which I was going to make a reference. Doing that, I took time and now have missed him. Anyway, I posted at about 250ish saying that I found 'help' through dog ownership etc. I didn't want to go on about 'my issues', rather share what works, as a possible strategy for others. This, I believe , is the nature, and charm of this thread.
I have not posted recently, as quite frankly, the thread itself became too depressing. Is that irony?
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
I have not posted recently, as quite frankly, the thread itself became too depressing. Is that irony?
Gold! That's rule #371 of managing your depression/anxiety: Avoid situations that trigger or exacerbate the condition.

Now with a deep exhale.......this thread is back on track

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 16-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #6
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Phew, glad to be here.
Just got back from my 3rd AA meeting. Again, very relaxed, great sharing and no arguments. And enlightening. One lad said he was so keen to recover, he realised he was racing ahead too fast. It's like trying to shift a concrete block, push, push. Eventually you'll give up. The block he says, will move in its own time. And that's one of the keys. One step at a time, in its own time.
I'm still having a drink, maybe not as often. That's not the point. But the encouragement from the older members is just this...just keep coming. We did and we've been off the grog for 10 - 20 - 30+ years.

That's how our little thread should be. Total respect and understanding. Thanks mates and moderators (Russ).
I'd find moderating a tough ask.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2016, 02:21 AM   #7
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Phew, glad to be here.
Just got back from my 3rd AA meeting. Again, very relaxed, great sharing and no arguments. And enlightening. One lad said he was so keen to recover, he realised he was racing ahead too fast. It's like trying to shift a concrete block, push, push. Eventually you'll give up. The block he says, will move in its own time. And that's one of the keys. One step at a time, in its own time.
I'm still having a drink, maybe not as often. That's not the point. But the encouragement from the older members is just this...just keep coming. We did and we've been off the grog for 10 - 20 - 30+ years.

That's how our little thread should be. Total respect and understanding. Thanks mates and moderators (Russ).
I'd find moderating a tough ask.
Everyone is different and respecting everyone's position in life is important. Well done on your new journey and I hope that you achieve the goals that you have set yourself!
Old 16-04-2016, 03:57 AM   #8
Tui2
Coyote ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Everyone is different and respecting everyone's position in life is important. Well done on your new journey and I hope that you achieve the goals that you have set yourself!
Hear Hear Here Here
Same supportI've words from me too Madaya.
One step at a time.. no judgement here.,only support and maybe a little envy lol... meaning I personally find it very difficult to stick to...well?...anything really... but new meds have me focusing on one job at a time for about 3hrs before I start to come down... only issue now is that if I do start a job.. eg car maintaiNance. . it can block out all other responsibilities that I may have on for the day (mainly my parents care ..cleanin. .washing.. feeding!... cringe... I forgot their lunch the other day.. not good). But have a laugh at it anyway.. they didn't fade away from starvation. Which brings me to my next topic. See above
Old 16-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #9
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Trejo, he may be a sook and wanting to call all his family but this could be him preparing to say his final farewell to every one. Him thinking the worst may be what the outcome will be. I think let him be in control of who he wants to alert to the fact that he may not be around for much longer but at the same time tell them the jury is still out. It is a hard time but if you dont and the worst does happen you will regret not giving everyone the chance to say ferewell in time.
Old 16-04-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
olfella
Cranky old bastard

You look after yourself Trejo
Old 16-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #11
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
You look after yourself Trejo
And on that note, don't forget about the Carers! While all the focus can be on the patient, (and rightly so) it's often the carers that can be forgotten about.
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #12
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I had some evidence that they had ever performed the job satisfactorily, I might. Some people bite off more than they can chew, and end up stressed trying to keep up as a result. Is that the fault of the boss, or the worker who overstated their abilities?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
If I had some evidence that they had ever performed the job satisfactorily, I might. Some people bite off more than they can chew, and end up stressed trying to keep up as a result. Is that the fault of the boss, or the worker who overstated their abilities?
This thread is about people discussion their own personal issues with depression and anxiety. Perhaps you might give this thread a miss
Old 18-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #14
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
This thread is about people discussion their own personal issues with depression and anxiety. Perhaps you might give this thread a miss
I deal with my anxiety by accepting it as a personality trait rather than an illness (rightly or wrongly). I'm not about to blame my own responses on those around me, especially when I observe others exposed to the same stresses able to deal with them without issue. I accept that its a view not shared by many, and likely one expected not to be shared full stop.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #15
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Just a reminder to all posting here that it a venue for you to talk about what is happening to you, not for your view on what the rest of the world is doing.

Anyone who senses increasing difficulties should call Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or www.beyondblue.org.au, or http://headspace.org.au/ or a similar organisation. This thread is not intended to substitute for these services.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Thumbs up Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Just a reminder to all posting here that it a venue for you to talk about what is happening to you, not for your view on what the rest of the world is doing.

Anyone who senses increasing difficulties should call Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or www.beyondblue.org.au, or http://headspace.org.au/ or a similar organisation. This thread is not intended to substitute for these services.
I'll back that up.

Not going into my personal circumstances that led me into undiagnosed depression, but a series of life events in rather quick succession that I could not control gradually hammered me down. Whilst dealing with one, then another would pop up, then another - overwhelmed me.

I lost my will and my self respect - felt completely ******* useless. Shut myself off from family/friends, wouldn't answer phone/email/front door. Got groceries home delivered (still do - **** shopping) would put the bins out at night so nobody would see me.

I'd had enough after a trigger point. Sat in my shed cross legged with my double barrelled coach gun in my mouth between my two beloved Fords. As I squeezed the triggers I thought about my two beautiful daughters and what they would think. That was enough, I reconciled to fight this "black dog".

I knew I had a major problem and sought professional help - as futile as it seemed at the time. It was a last resort. I made the call to my doctor and made an appointment. Brave considering I hadn't left my home in a while.

My doctor was very understanding and referred me to a psychologist, gave me a months script for Valium until she had a report back from the shrink.

I was treated with respect, understanding and kindness from the professionals. Their initial advice seemed like crap to me, my head was totally messed up. I listened and followed their advice as I'd reached rock bottom, can't go much lower.

This all happened about 10 years ago and I've progressed massively since. I still have just a touch of depression (like everybody else) but the anxiety remains. I'm much happier now and so glad I didn't chuck the towel in, you can't regret it in the afterlife - if any.

The point I'd like to make is that this thread is not a substitute for sound professional advice. No way would I ever seek advice from a forum for major depression/anxiety. If you seriously need help, you won't find it here. This is a medium for "mild" depression/anxiety and support for those that have it or are recovering from it.

Above I took liberty about mentioning suicide. My own situation was to emphasise where I came from - I/we do not want to hear about near suicide or thoughts of it on this thread.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 19-04-2016 at 02:35 PM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
Tui2
Coyote ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I'll back that up.

Not going into my personal circumstances that led me into undiagnosed depression, but a series of life events in rather quick succession that I could not control gradually hammered me down. Whilst dealing with one, then another would pop up, then another - overwhelmed me.

I lost my will and my self respect - felt completely ******* useless. Shut myself off from family/friends, wouldn't answer phone/email/front door. Got groceries home delivered (still do - **** shopping) would put the bins out at night so nobody would see me.

I'd had enough after a trigger point. Sat in my shed cross legged with my double barrelled coach gun in my mouth between my two beloved Fords. As I squeezed the triggers I thought about my two beautiful daughters and what they would think. That was enough, I reconciled to fight this "black dog".

I knew I had a major problem and sought professional help - as futile as it seemed at the time. It was a last resort. I made the call to my doctor and made an appointment. Brave considering I hadn't left my home in a while.

My doctor was very understanding and referred me to a psychologist, gave me a months script for Valium until she had a report back from the shrink.

I was treated with respect, understanding and kindness from the professionals. Their initial advice seemed like crap to me, my head was totally messed up. I listened and followed their advice as I'd reached rock bottom, can't go much lower.

This all happened about 10 years ago and I've progressed massively since. I still have just a touch of depression (like everybody else) but the anxiety remains. I'm much happier now and so glad I didn't chuck the towel in, you can't regret it in the afterlife - if any.

The point I'd like to make is that this thread is not a substitute for sound professional advice. No way would I ever seek advice from a forum for major depression/anxiety. If you seriously need help, you won't find it here. This is a medium for "mild" depression/anxiety and support for those that have it or are recovering from it.

Above I took liberty about mentioning suicide. My own situation was to emphasise where I came from - I/we do not want to hear about near suicide or thoughts of it on this thread.

Cheers!
so guess that is a goodbye from me, thanks to all its been helpful and i understand I'm in a much higher bracket and can't walk besides yas without tripping and could end up accidentally grabbing one of yas as i fall, and i definitely do not want to bring anyone down with me,, so ill see yas in the PM.. BA.. and word assoc threads, Go Get Beyond Blue, T
Old 20-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #18
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Trejo,

I'm sure that is not how it was intended.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #19
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Maybe so, but in all fairness Dave can't just relive his experience through the printed word and then state what can or cannot be discussed after he post's his personal experience's ?

It would be more transparent if he didn't comment at all if you understand where i am coming from .

I am well aware of the affect of suicidal tendancies trust me, we all have demon's.

Be well Trejo
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #20
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLR View Post
Maybe so, but in all fairness Dave can't just relive his experience through the printed word and then state what can or cannot be discussed after he post's his personal experience's ?

It would be more transparent if he didn't comment at all if you understand where i am coming from .

I am well aware of the affect of suicidal tendancies trust me, we all have demon's.

Be well Trejo
I have the right to post my opinion on this thread, just as DAZZLR has.

How would it be more transparent if I didn't post? Think about it ffs.

Quoting myself:

"The point I'd like to make is that this thread is not a substitute for sound professional advice. No way would I ever seek advice from a forum for major depression/anxiety. If you seriously need help, you won't find it here. This is a medium for "mild" depression/anxiety and support for those that have it or are recovering from it."

"Above I took liberty about mentioning suicide. My own situation was to emphasise where I came from - I/we do not want to hear about near suicide or thoughts of it on this thread."

Yes, I made the statement in bold about suicide - I refer to the above quoted paragraph/s. I carry no weight as a moderator in this thread, I'll say no more than it's being monitored and I'd like to see the thread stay.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 20-04-2016 at 06:14 PM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #21
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is just a support page. Many of the posts here have advised people to see professional help. People who post are trying to let things out that are affecting them in the hope that others with the same illness can understand what they are going through and give them hope that things can get better. This is a support thread and does not replace the work that medical professionals do. It compliments the hard work that has been started to help people get better.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #22
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

You know I've been away from here a while (nearly two months) and I thought I'd review the last few pages of this thread and what do I see but ignorance and stupidity.

Just when I think my faith in "humanity" (I definitely use that loosely) I see the typical fools who would have no idea what it's like to wake up in the morning and go either why do I bother or what is going to happen today that's going to annoy me or why is there all these people around but I've never felt so alone.

No wonder I take extended hiatus' from here cause its idiots as such that cause the effects to worsen.

I actually have taken to not watching the news cause it's nothing but negative things being reported on for TV audiences and drama. They thrive on it. Same with these garbage reality shows.

I haven't been in a good place for about a month now. The worst thing I miss is my ex and my son's constant company and it's really doing my head in as they were the rocks I had to help me out of the headspace I'm in and cause they are there now as such I can't stop the thoughts.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:31 AM   #23
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happy B'day Trejo - hope it is a great day

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2016, 07:25 AM   #24
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
Happy B'day Trejo - hope it is a great day

Cheers Vincenzo
All the best for today Trejo, hope you have a good one. Happy Birthday.
Steve.
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #25
Tui2
Coyote ugly

Thumbs down Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
You know I've been away from here a while (nearly two months) and I thought I'd review the last few pages of this thread and what do I see but ignorance and stupidity.

Just when I think my faith in "humanity" (I definitely use that loosely) I see the typical fools who would have no idea what it's like to wake up in the morning and go either why do I bother or what is going to happen today that's going to annoy me or why is there all these people around but I've never felt so alone.

No wonder I take extended hiatus' from here cause its idiots as such that cause the effects to worsen.

I actually have taken to not watching the news cause it's nothing but negative things being reported on for TV audiences and drama. They thrive on it. Same with these garbage reality shows.

I haven't been in a good place for about a month now. The worst thing I miss is my ex and my son's constant company and it's really doing my head in as they were the rocks I had to help me out of the headspace I'm in and cause they are there now as such I can't stop the thoughts.
RAPID! I HAD NO.IDEA MATE... SO SORRY I DIDN'T FOLLOW YOUR POSTS MORE INTENTLY.. YOU AND JUST A HANDFUL HERE CAN RELATE.. AND I DEFINITELY DEFINITELY HAVE GOT YOUR BACK.
I HAD THE SON/EX WIFE BLOWN OUT 18 YEARS AGO AND THE LOVE OF MY LIFE GRANDMOTHER TO MY STEPGRANDKIDS (ONE I RAISED TIL HE WAS 5YO AS HIS FATHER FIGURE) AFTER NEAR 9YEARS TOGETHER..LOST THEM 9 MONTHS AGO TO BPD.
NO NEWS OR SCRIPTED REALITY SHOWS FOR ME.. IN FACT I CAN'T WATCH THE ' REALIY' TALENT SHOWS NOW BECAUSE OF THE DRAMA THEY MAKE/BLOW UP AS BACKGROUND STORIES. PM me if you need an ear. Keep well.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #26
Tui2
Coyote ugly

Happy b day to mesosorry.
Thank you to all for your kind... attention to detail and noticing a notice as I never have and apologies if I missed your b days since December.
You all keep well and this has been a memorable b'day because of it.
A quick ta to AFF for their b'day email (or the person who wrote the program for the AI.. and I guess these days I better thank the AI.. just in case.. I watch sci-fi. . I know my place
Old 05-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #27
Tui2
Coyote ugly

i would like to point out why i suffer anxiety and are fghting so hard to eleviate one anxiety area at a time. so here is a simple explanation of my disorder.

p.s my father saw the Gastroenterologist today, blunt and directly to the point he was, and i quote"you don't have long as it has reached your stomach" unquote. i have no idea how to handle it, my mum wants power of attorney but she has an aortic aneurysm about to burst, along with lymphoma, AI, stroke, post polio syndrome, dementia setting in and recent diabetes type 2... so i suggested it best that i get power of attorney in case she passes whilst he is hanging in still, don't know anything about power of attorney or how better i deal with this... can't get them to talk like mature adults without em thinking I'm out to put em into palliative care...ahhhhhhh!!

Last edited by Tui2; 20-05-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Tui2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2016, 03:40 AM   #28
SYZ
Beaut Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trejo View Post
[...] don't know anything about power of attorney or how better I deal with this...
This site explains the PoA pretty well: http://www.publicadvocate.wa.gov.au/.../EPA_Guide.pdf

Another important and separate requirement, particularly in your parents' case, is an enduring power of guardianship which allows you to make medical decisions on their behalf.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #29
snopony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trejo View Post
i would like to point out why i suffer anxiety and are fghting so hard to eleviate one anxiety area at a time. so here is a simple explanation of my disorder.

p.s my father saw the Gastroenterologist today, blunt and directly to the point he was, and i quote"you don't have long as it has reached your stomach" unquote. i have no idea how to handle it, my mum wants power of attorney but she has an aortic aneurysm about to burst, along with lymphoma, AI, stroke, post polio syndrome, dementia setting in and recent diabetes type 2... so i suggested it best that i get power of attorney in case she passes whilst he is hanging in still, don't know anything about power of attorney or how better i deal with this... can't get them to talk like mature adults without em thinking I'm out to put em into palliative care...ahhhhhhh!!
Thankyou Trejo.
Reading the description sheet makes me realise there are probably way more people that I know who certainly fit that description- while I am in no way qualified to say that is their condition for sure- knowledge and understanding of WHY some people are like they are, goes a long way with acceptance and help.
By the way, happy birthday from a fellow taurus
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #30
LTDHO
The one and only

Arrow Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post

I have to agree with you, seems all the fun has left TV.

Rapid, I hear where you are coming from and nothing I can write can change your frame of mind. Nothing here would change mine. Keep fighting mate!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: