Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Q Police Union Slams the 3 New Covert Revenue Cameras.

Covert speed cameras 'a cash grab'

Kay Dibben From: The Sunday Mail (Qld) October 30, 2010 12:39PM

THE Queensland Police Union has slammed the introduction of three new covert police camera vehicles as ``a flash for cash'' and called instead for more police out on the roads.

Police Minister Neil Robert today announced that three additional covert speed cameras were being deployed on roads in southern, north coast and south-east police regions this weekend.

There are now seven covert speed camera vehicles around the state, and more will be rolled out in coming months.

The union says one is expected to be in central region, around Rockhampton.

``There is clear evidence which shows that increasing the chance and uncertainty of detection is a powerful motivator in changing people's driving habits,'' Mr Roberts said.

In December, the government decided that up to 30 per cent of mobile speed camera enforcement would be undertaken covertly, using a variety of vehicles and with no advance warning or departure signs at the camera sites.

``Motorists will need to ensure they are travelling at or below the signed speed limit because there's a chance an inconspicuous vehicle parked on the side of the road is fitted with a speed camera.''

But QPU president Ian Leavers, a former traffic officer, said the covert speed cameras were just a revenue raising measure.

``This is just a flash for cash,'' Mr Leavers said.

``If they are serious on road safety, we will have more police, high visibility policing and that will reduce road trauma and the road toll.

``I have no isssue with marked speed cameras because they can be seen and the public are aware of them.

``But a covert speed camera is nothing short of the government trying to raise revenue.''

Mr Leavers said the use by police of a variety of vehicles with covert cameras was just to trick people.

``I'm a former speed camera operator in a marked speed camera vehicle,'' Mr Leavers said.

``They do have an effect. People know it's a police vehicle. They work and they are effective.''

He said more police on the roads not only would reduce the road toll, but they also would reduce overall crime and people would feel safer.

Mr Leavers also called for the government to provide police with a helicopter, after a three-hour high speed chase of an alleged offender on the Gold Coast on Friday.

He said police should not have to rely on getting information from media in helicopters.

Mr Leavers said a helicopter could help save lives, by providing an ``eye in the sky'' even after police pursuits were called off.

MMMM who do I believe ? Mr Roberts or Mr Leaver ?? Mr Leaver ,of course.
I also support the use of speed cameras, IF they are used as intended. NOT how they are used at the moment. Blatant revenue raising. No Government spin doctoring will convince me otherwise...

Old 30-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, one a Police officer the other a politician.....not that difficult to choose really.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

More police vehicles traveling with the traffic is a better Road safety answer.

Whilst I don't normally speed, the thought of drivers being nailed by cameras
in free flowing traffic is appalling and has to be IMO purely revenue raising.

If politicians want to do some good, they should divide the oncoming traffic in
single lane rural highways and major trunk roads. Preventing head on crashes
would save more lives than any boof headed speed cameras.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Here they are:

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloody QLD is becoming way too much like those crappy states down south..The QPU would be against this as the next step by the Blight Govt is to remove speed camera duties from police officers and send it to a private contractor. Hate the direction this state is taking!
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Bloody QLD is becoming way too much like those crappy states down south..The QPU would be against this as the next step by the Blight Govt is to remove speed camera duties from police officers and send it to a private contractor. Hate the direction this state is taking!
Well you know what to do about it....
Old 30-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

So they get you comming by the looks of them.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well you know what to do about it....
Yep, How much for a rocket launcher, and from what distance is it accurate?
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Yep, How much for a rocket launcher, and from what distance is it accurate?
Well that depends on the model, you looking for guided or unguided and will that be in cash, gold or conflict diamonds......oops
Old 31-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a green Camry "plain wrapper" working around Mt Tamborine
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Hmm, one a Police officer the other a politician.....not that difficult to choose really.
Isn't there some EBA negotiations underway between the QPU and govt. Not that I'd ever side with the govt on this but the QPU motives might not be so pure.
Old 31-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Majority of Police Officers I have spoken with in the last week or so have not had a good thing to say about these new 'speed camera vehicles' and they told me which ones to look for and also said they would let us know where they are etc so we at work can let people know what to look for. They are against them as they are not about road safety from what they have said.

So look out for a white rodeo, plus there is a grey camry being moved from spot to spot on the north Brissy side.
I have spotted the white rodeo regularly parked either side of the twin BPs (Caboolture) in the last few days.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
plumby
Huston we have lift off

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Majority of Police Officers I have spoken with in the last week or so have not had a good thing to say about these new 'speed camera vehicles' and they told me which ones to look for and also said they would let us know where they are etc so we at work can let people know what to look for. They are against them as they are not about road safety from what they have said.

So look out for a white rodeo, plus there is a grey camry being moved from spot to spot on the north Brissy side.
I have spotted the white rodeo regularly parked either side of the twin BPs (Caboolture) in the last few days.
i saw one sitting under the indropilly shopping center on rap right in front of the police station. I agree that the only way to show a strong police presence is to have marked police cars on the road. understandably have the unmarked. but i disagree with the use of the covert camera's.
plumby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Isn't there some EBA negotiations underway between the QPU and govt. Not that I'd ever side with the govt on this but the QPU motives might not be so pure.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend...Sun Tzu
Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Funny thing is that once you know what to look for you can spot them a mile off. Although some don't drive highways / around as much as others.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw my first covert revenue camera today along Mt. Cotton Road past the Sirromet Winery. It was a maroon VW Caddy Life.

It was a sneaky one too, It was make to look as if it just randomly pulled over on the side with its left indicator flashing and one of its doors open. It was only the flashbulb mounted on its towbar that gave it away.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
Saw my first covert revenue camera today along Mt. Cotton Road past the Sirromet Winery. It was a maroon VW Caddy Life.

It was a sneaky one too, It was make to look as if it just randomly pulled over on the side with its left indicator flashing and one of its doors open. It was only the flashbulb mounted on its towbar that gave it away.

Should have pulled in behind and asked if they are broken down and if they needed any assistance.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Theres a covert Holden rodeo that sits along the Warrego Hwy. It is actually fitted with an Orange strobe light on the roof, like that found on pilot vehicles. Pointlessly deceptive really.

Last edited by SSD-85; 02-01-2011 at 04:41 PM.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Speed cameras aren't just for revenue raising, just ask John Brumby.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Spotted the black one on the Bruce in the sth bound lane (Sunshine Coast) with the canopies all up and police stuffing round inside the back, must have been stuffed wish i got a pic
Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If speed cameras are so good at saving lives why does Victoria have the highest Christmas road toll?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #22
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
If speed cameras are so good at saving lives why does Victoria have the highest Christmas road toll?

You won't get any argument from this mexican.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #23
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

And its the entrapment which gets me. Victorians have to put up with it - most are easy enough to spot, but a wide variety of cars used, some older, bonnets up hazards on like broken down. Private enterprise on targets.

When i left Drouin fro Sydney on Monday last week - one HP car. One breatho, 3 camera cars. Crossed border into NSW on Cooma road back to Umina - 10 or so HP cars on road. Nothing changes driving by silly people than the blue and reds on side of a road writing out a ticket.

Just coming back from Manning Pt NYD and there was a stack of HP and Bikers doing the rounds...not a camera car in sight!
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
There are now seven covert speed camera vehicles around the state, and more will be rolled out in coming months.
Oh no, 7 cameras in the state.....

Come to Victoria, add six 0s to the end of that figure and thats about half of them down here in Mexico. The ones down here are just normal cars on the side of the road, the only way you can tell is because they have this weird mounting plate on the front of the car for the two flashes. They look like aftermarket fog lights except a bit more spaced out.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #25
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Daylight savings?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #26
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Crazy
And its the entrapment which gets me. Victorians have to put up with it - most are easy enough to spot, but a wide variety of cars used, some older, bonnets up hazards on like broken down. Private enterprise on targets.
2 problems.

That is not entrapment, not even close.

Even if it was, there is no such thing as entrapment in Aus.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #27
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Oh no, 7 cameras in the state.....

Come to Victoria, add six 0s to the end of that figure and thats about half of them down here in Mexico. The ones down here are just normal cars on the side of the road, the only way you can tell is because they have this weird mounting plate on the front of the car for the two flashes. They look like aftermarket fog lights except a bit more spaced out.
And what that contributes to this thread i have no idea?

7 COVERT Camera cars in QLD is 7 too many IMO..don't forget there is more coming, add to that the already multiple marked camera vans..could put quite a few extra HWP cars on the road with the officers to man them instead of wasting the money on the vans (don't forget these vans come out of the QLD Police budget not some private contractor who is out to cash in)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty good chance we will have an election late this year.

You can demonstrate your opinion on speed cameras then.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 PM   #29
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Pretty good chance we will have an election late this year.

You can demonstrate your opinion on speed cameras then.
Don't worry flapp mate, i will!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
And what that contributes to this thread i have no idea?

7 COVERT Camera cars in QLD is 7 too many IMO..don't forget there is more coming, add to that the already multiple marked camera vans..could put quite a few extra HWP cars on the road with the officers to man them instead of wasting the money on the vans (don't forget these vans come out of the QLD Police budget not some private contractor who is out to cash in)
"Wasting" that money on the vans? They will pay themselves off many times over, much more than what you will get out of the same money on police officers. Money is the answer to all questions, there is nothing "safety" about "safety camera".

This is the beginning, so get used to it and be thankful you only have 7 at this time. Covert Cameras? Is that something new? Take a trip down Mexico way.

No matter who you vote for, they will all do it. You are just another number in the system, your vote counts for nothing. The voters didn't even decide which party won the last election.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post